Home | Community | Message Board

MagicBag Grow Bags
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   OlympusMyco.com Sterilized Grain Bag   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   North Spore Boomr Bag

Jump to first unread post Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | Next >  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineBlackDogJesus
Bacon
 User Gallery

Loc: Your mom
Re: Frank's Bulk Spawning Tek (in a monotub) [Re: FrankHorrigan]
    #24236605 - 04/12/17 05:48 AM (7 years, 5 days ago)

Hey frank-

I realize this post and almost all the replies are two years old, but is this still a good way to re-hydrate grains before mixing in to bulk? How long do you let each jar sit with water?( I read it twice and didn't see a time,I may be blind) and tap water or distilled for the soak? Thanks man use every one of your teks!!!

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineJNocturnal
Stranger
 User Gallery

#24252776 - 04/17/17 08:29 PM (7 years, 6 hours ago)

What is the purpose of the liner?

InvisiblebodhisattaMDiscordReddit
Smurf real estate agent
 User Gallery
Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Milky way
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Frank's Bulk Spawning Tek (in a monotub) [Re: JNocturnal]
    #24253122 - 04/17/17 10:45 PM (7 years, 3 hours ago)

Stop the microclimate that can cause side pinning

Offline555
Mountain Man
Male User Gallery

Loc: Tennessee, USA Flag
Re: How I spawn to bulk in a monotub [Re: bodhisatta]
    #24282328 - 04/29/17 07:14 PM (6 years, 11 months ago)

Very interesting. I have been using a layer of horse poo, then spawn, then horse poo again. Mixing it all together does make sense, Great to know!

--------------------
I've been down the rabbit hole and I like it!!

Offlinemarkymark777
Stranger
Male User Gallery

Loc: Dayton Oh. Flag
    #24471696 - 07/10/17 03:57 AM (6 years, 9 months ago)

the franks previuos video he shows using both jars and bags filled with the coir/verm mix. im unclear if that was for using as an additive to the colonized jars of grain in a bulk tub, or am i supposed to inoculate the bags with already colonized material, or shoot them directly with the spore syringe? If not the syringe, then why use the bags with the filter patch? FAE?

Offlinebombaymagic
Microcosm
Male

Loc: united states Flag
    #24877003 - 12/29/17 08:03 PM (6 years, 3 months ago)

:mushroom2::mushroom2::mushroom2:

InvisibleThorA
Anti-Theist OVERLORD
Male User Gallery

Loc: Iceland Flag
Re: Frank's Bulk Spawning Tek (in a monotub) [Re: bombaymagic]
    #25053622 - 03/10/18 03:05 AM (6 years, 1 month ago)

I have to say I'm freakin impressed with this tek.

So just a quick rundown to make sure I got this right, went through the 3 parts of the tek, I'm going the bag route.

Coir, verm, gypsum, pasturize in bags, when colonized break into pieces and put in monotub air holes sealed.

This is where I'm a bit confused, it says mix from those bags with seeds, I know he does BS jars, is that then necessary as well for me, could I just use rye seeds (hard to get shit in Iceland). I couldn't just spawn out the coir, verm, gypsum, clearly not enough to grow mushrooms hehe, another option is BRF since I could get that here in Iceland.

Ideally I'd like to avoid using jars because its so hard to get wide mouth glass jars in Iceland, but then again I can get away with tapered using seeds right, just shake and break up before opening and putting in tub?

I also have access to straw and horse poo, but I want to keep this as simple as possible.

The last question was just the fruiting, I connect my air pump with filter, and use my reptile tank humidifier to get that up to above 90%? open all drill holes with polyfill stuffed to keep the air exchange solid? Oh and should I get a heating mat as well, this is afterall Iceland and I doubt my house is warmer than 20c (70f) in the room where I will be doing this.

Edited by Thor (03/10/18 03:19 AM)

InvisibleJimboslice12
I'm a teapot User Gallery
Re: Frank's Bulk Spawning Tek (in a monotub) [Re: Thor]
    #25213045 - 05/18/18 04:18 PM (5 years, 10 months ago)

Where’s frank Monotub Tek?

InvisibleFrankHorrigan
The Inquisition
Male

Trusted Cultivator
Re: Frank's Bulk Spawning Tek (in a monotub) [Re: Jimboslice12]
    #25217018 - 05/20/18 05:08 PM (5 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

Jimboslice12 said:
Where’s frank Monotub Tek?

Monotub construction is pretty much the ohmatic tub style with some mods to the poly ala citric.

https://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Number/19792837

--------------------

Yes, you can bump my old threads with a question.
Here is how I get things done.
You should take a look. :hehehe:

Frank's tips and tricks. Updated on 3/21/14
AMU- Get an answer here -AMU

OfflineMrCraggles
 User Gallery

#25352627 - 07/28/18 04:40 PM (5 years, 8 months ago)

When colonising the substrate from your spawn and you've duct taped the air holes, do you allow for ambient indirect sunlight on the monotub? Or should it be in darkness? Or is the difference in colonising vs fruiting conditions in this set-up predominantly mediated by introducing air flow through polyfill for fruiting, with light making little difference?

--------------------
Throw down your umbilical noose so I can climb right back

InvisibleCaps McGee
Grandaddy Smurfshack

Loc: ally known as ... Flag
Re: Frank's Bulk Spawning Tek (in a monotub) [Re: MrCraggles]
    #25352637 - 07/28/18 04:43 PM (5 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

MrCraggles said:
When colonizing the substrate from your spawn and you've duct taped the air holes, do you allow for ambient indirect sunlight on the monotub? Or should it be in darkness? Or is the difference in colonising vs fruiting conditions in this set-up predominantly mediated by introducing air flow through polyfill for fruiting, with light making little difference?

Darkness is outdated misinformation... it's been shown that 12/12 lighting through all stages is beneficial  (from spore to harvest) also, they'll grow great in an unmodified tub with the lid flipped or cracked from spawn... a colonization period isn't necessary, and I've actually had faster, better results spawning straight to"fruiting conditions"

OfflineMrCraggles
 User Gallery

Re: Frank's Bulk Spawning Tek (in a monotub) [Re: Caps McGee]
    #25352771 - 07/28/18 06:04 PM (5 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

Caps McGee said:
Quote:

MrCraggles said:
When colonizing the substrate from your spawn and you've duct taped the air holes, do you allow for ambient indirect sunlight on the monotub? Or should it be in darkness? Or is the difference in colonising vs fruiting conditions in this set-up predominantly mediated by introducing air flow through polyfill for fruiting, with light making little difference?

Darkness is outdated misinformation... it's been shown that 12/12 lighting through all stages is beneficial  (from spore to harvest) also, they'll grow great in an unmodified tub with the lid flipped or cracked from spawn... a colonization period isn't necessary, and I've actually had faster, better results spawning straight to"fruiting conditions"

Thanks. I believe you've helped me with a few questions now? So thanks for that it's appreciated.

Yeah I watched a video where a guy put it straight into fruiting conditions and he really seemed to know what he was doing. I think I'll try both methods and see which works best for me.

Flipping the lid appears to have really taken off from reading through the forums so thanks I'll give that a go too. So you quite literally don't bother cutting a single hole in the tub and rely on the exchange through the overturned lid?

I thought polfilled holes would help to protect against contams, but I guess once the mycelium are strong and well established from the spawn then this isn't an issue as long as my horse shit compost is properly pasteurised...

However...having polyfilled holes closer to the substrate level would surely encourage proper circulation so that the flow of air reaches down to the mycelium?

--------------------

OfflineMrCraggles
 User Gallery

#25352784 - 07/28/18 06:14 PM (5 years, 8 months ago)

Hey whilst I have you here and you always seem happy to help I have another question concerning substrate;

I'm using a mix of:

50% horse manure compost
20% coarse vermiculite
20% coco coir
10% chicken shit pellets (crushed)

Is there any way I can pasteurise without stinking the house out by using the oven. It would stink of manure and I have family that don't know about my new hobby.

Ive seen people just pour boiling water into their substrate and cover it for a while...but I don't think that would be too great at getting the job done.

Ive thought about turkey foil trays on a disposable BBQ for an hour.

Do you have any sagely wisdom?

--------------------

Edited by MrCraggles (07/28/18 06:16 PM)

InvisibleCaps McGee
Grandaddy Smurfshack

#25352860 - 07/28/18 07:18 PM (5 years, 8 months ago)

The substrate, and the light generate enough heat to churn the air in the tub by way of convection currents... polyfil filled holes are great for stacking tubs, so not completely bunk... Though I'm sure you can stack unmodified tubs alternating 90°... and yes, literally no holes, and straight to fruiting conditions... I tried poo once and failed miserably, and not fond of the idea of poo grown produce (lol, though I'm sure store bought food is much worse) so I won't be messing with it again until I try some pans... I did pasteurize in the oven, and it didn't stink like you'd think... almost a musky dirt smell... but throughout the house... idk there man lol, wish I knew more for yas! Not sure about the grill idea, seems as long as you could prevent hot spots, but not sure they coals would burn long enough to get it to temp for 90 minutes (probably looking at an additional hour+ just to get it there)... let us know what you come up with fo sho tho! Lol

Edited by Caps McGee (07/29/18 07:49 AM)

InvisibleNumeroEno
I come from the land of lizards
Male User Gallery

Loc: Gamehendge Flag
    #25352894 - 07/28/18 07:33 PM (5 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

MrCraggles said:
Hey whilst I have you here and you always seem happy to help I have another question concerning substrate;

I'm using a mix of:

50% horse manure compost
20% coarse vermiculite
20% coco coir
10% chicken shit pellets (crushed)

Is there any way I can pasteurise without stinking the house out by using the oven. It would stink of manure and I have family that don't know about my new hobby.

Ive seen people just pour boiling water into their substrate and cover it for a while...but I don't think that would be too great at getting the job done.

Ive thought about turkey foil trays on a disposable BBQ for an hour.

Do you have any sagely wisdom?

Pasteurizing manure based substrates is a little more involved. It’s all I do (I use 50/50 horse poo/verm) so I’ll try to explain it concisely. You can do it in the oven, and my good buddy eatyualive is a boss at doing it that way. I’ve never tried it. I do water bath pasteurization. NB, you need a remote thermometer to do it this way.

I start with my old 23 quart presto, 3/4 full of water, with the trivet inside on the stove on high heat.
I heat up the water to about 170, turn the heat off, measure out my ingredients in a plastic tub, add enough hot water to hydrate to field capacity, and load the substrate into half gallon jars.

I put foil over the half gallon jars (no lids) and put them in the pot. I get the water level so that the jars are as submerged as they can be without floating and topping over, and I stick my thermometer probe through the foil on one of the jars, all the way down into the substrate.

After that, put the lid on your stock pot (I use an old 23 quart presto with no gasket or weight), turn the stove to low, and set the alarm on your remote thermometer to go off at 145f. Once the substrate reaches that temp, kill the heat and let it sit for about an hour and a half.

Then take the jars out, let them cool, and spawn your tub.

There are many different ways to pasteurize. I want to start doing it with a sous vide because I can only pasteurize one tub’s worth of substrate at a time this way. I hope this helps.

--------------------

:gd_icon:  Let it grow! Let it grow! Greatly yield!  :gd_icon:
What shall we say, shall we call it by a name
As well to count the angels dancing on a pin
Water bright as the sky from which it came
And the name is on the earth that takes it in

DOG FOOD AGAR

MY ELECTRIC INOCULATION LOOP

OfflineMrCraggles
 User Gallery

Re: Frank's Bulk Spawning Tek (in a monotub) [Re: NumeroEno]
    #25353325 - 07/29/18 04:31 AM (5 years, 8 months ago)

Thank you both for your input there! Appreciated :wink:

--------------------

InvisibleCaps McGee
Grandaddy Smurfshack

#25353528 - 07/29/18 07:54 AM (5 years, 8 months ago)

Yeah man, let us know how it goes... Have you used straight coir eno? Just curious if there's an upside to poo (from someone who's done both)

InvisibleNumeroEno
Male User Gallery

#25353740 - 07/29/18 10:34 AM (5 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

Caps McGee said:
Yeah man, let us know how it goes... Have you used straight coir eno? Just curious if there's an upside to poo (from someone who's done both)

I haven’t used coir in a long time because it costs money and hpoo doesn’t. I used to use it though. The one grow I remember doing with straight coir was with untreated coir and slurried PF cakes. I got fruits.

--------------------

DOG FOOD AGAR

InvisibleCaps McGee
Grandaddy Smurfshack

Re: Frank's Bulk Spawning Tek (in a monotub) [Re: NumeroEno]
    #25353744 - 07/29/18 10:37 AM (5 years, 8 months ago)

Gotcha... free is cool lol

InvisibleNumeroEno
Male User Gallery

#25353775 - 07/29/18 10:54 AM (5 years, 8 months ago)

Yeah I really don’t know if there’s any other advantage to using poo, and the downside is that you can’t bucket tek it. But coir can get pricey, especially if you’re using anything better than the shit tier stuff from petsmart.

--------------------

DOG FOOD AGAR

Jump to top Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   OlympusMyco.com Sterilized Grain Bag   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   North Spore Boomr Bag