Home | Community | Message Board

Magic-Mushrooms-Shop.com
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   North Spore Injection Grain Bag   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | Next >  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
InvisibleFrankHorrigan
The Inquisition
Male

Trusted Cultivator
Grain to grain in a SAB * 9
    #17441645 - 12/24/12 12:25 PM (11 years, 3 months ago)

This is part of my series on how I get things done. I hope it helps!

I'll be getting more pictures up here shortly but I thought this was a good start.

Grain to grain is far and away the fastest way to colonize a jar.
A lot of people are afraid of it because they don't own a flowhood, but you can certainly do it in a SAB with a bit of practice and a little finesse :thumbup:

I use plastic lids for the ease of removing them for inoculations. You can do this with metal lids and rings as well.

For each fully colonized grain jar, I turn it into 8-10 G2G jars.
This means I can make 1-2 trays/tubs out of each fully colonized master jar.

First, we need to prepare the SAB for work.

If you want the best chances of success, do not cut corners on this part!

Make sure all debris and other items are off the floor of the SAB.

I take a few paper towels and put a line of dish soap on them. Soak it with warm running water and do not wring it out.

Move quickly to the SAB (the towels will be dripping) and wring the towel out over the bottom. You should end up with a nice puddle of warm, soapy water.

I wipe down the bottom, all the sides, the corners. Everything except the lid and the outside of the SAB gets wiped.

DO NOT DRY ANYTHING OFF OR SOAK UP ANY OF THE STANDING WATER. This warm soapy water will make any bacteria/spores stick, so you don't send contams flying around off the floor when you're working inside the box.

You don't need bleach or lysol or isopropyl or anything else here. Warm soapy water is perfect and it won't evaporate in minutes like iso will :thumbup:

Make sure your master jar is fully colonized and looks free of contams. We will not be able to smell the grains until after the procedure is done.

Break up the master grain jar against something with a little give. I smack it off my carpet. RR uses a bike tire.

Soak a paper towel with iso.  Use it to wipe down the master grain jar well. Make sure you get up around the rim right below the lid.

Place the clean master jar in the SAB. Then do the same with each of the receiving jars, placing them in the SAB after being wiped down well.

Put the lid on the box and wash your hands and arms well. Sometimes I just take a full shower to be totally clean. Put on clean pants, a T-shirt, tyvek sleeves and gloves.

Get a fresh paper towel and wet it down with isopropyl. Time to get inside the SAB!

Wipe down your gloves once inside the SAB and loosen each jar lid about 1/8 to 1/4 turn each. Do not open the jars.

Since we wiped down the jars already, you can skip this next step though I don't recommend it.

Take your fresh alcohol soaked paper towel and wipe down the top 1/3 and the lids of each receiving jar again. Make absolutely sure you get the rim under the jar lid/ring. Wipe down the entire master jar last and give it a gentle shake to knock loose any grains that may be stuck to the jar.

Wipe down your gloves one more time with isopropyl.

Take the lid off the master jar and place it upside down on the lid of one of the receiving jars. Make sure to keep your hands from hovering over the lids or the open jars AT ANY TIME DURING THIS PROCEDURE.

Do not put down the open master jar at any time.

Carefully, using your free hand, unscrew the lid of the first receiving jar.

Make sure to keep your hands away from the top of the open jars. THIS IS VERY IMPORTANT!

My hand position in this photo shows the proper way to hold the jar lid and the master jar while transferring grains. Hold the master jar an inch or three away from the receiving jar. Using a twisting motion like you are pouring a glass of wine, rotate the master jar and allow a handful or so of grains to fall into the receiving jar. Replace the lid on the receiving jar quickly and carefully, screwing it on as tight as you can with one hand.

Repeat for as many jars as you have in the SAB. Work quickly but carefully, using controlled motions to stir up the air as little as possible.

Once you are done, replace the lid on the master jar. Then make sure all the rest of the lids are screwed down tightly.

I take the master jar out first and open it up, give it a good sniff. If it smells like anything but fresh mushrooms, I would toss the G2G jars because they are all going to go bad.

Label each jar, shake, and put it in a room at 70-80F for colonizing!

You should have fully colonized G2G jars within 7-14 days :thumbup:

:cheers:

--------------------

Yes, you can bump my old threads with a question.
Here is how I get things done.
You should take a look. :hehehe:

Frank's tips and tricks. Updated on 3/21/14
AMU- Get an answer here -AMU

Edited by FrankHorrigan (12/03/13 02:22 PM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineTrippy_Penguin
 User Gallery

Re: How I do grain to grain in a still air box! [Re: FrankHorrigan]
    #17442039 - 12/24/12 01:44 PM (11 years, 3 months ago)

I am just making the transition from PF tek to growing bulk in a greenhouse using WBS. This helps a lot. Thanks for the guide :thumbup:

Offlinebishlap
Po Thead
Male

Re: How I do grain to grain in a still air box! [Re: Trippy_Penguin]
    #17442399 - 12/24/12 03:14 PM (11 years, 3 months ago)

sweet you finally changed your avatar.
:borat:

--------------------
"If you're not worried that you took way
to much, you didn't take enough" -
Terrence McKenna

There is no soul, only the ego dies.
The body was never yours.

OfflineSan
Novice
Male User Gallery

Re: How I do grain to grain in a still air box! [Re: bishlap]
    #17442449 - 12/24/12 03:24 PM (11 years, 3 months ago)

Looks like those lids are a pain to use for G2G since you can't just lift them up and place them back on. I'll be going with the normal metal ones :P

--------------------
Actually not everyone was a noob.  Being a noob is a very new phenomenon.  Many people, the great majority in fact, were simply "beginners", "novices" or "new to mushroom growing".  Being a "noob" is reserved, and in fact created specifically for and by, the newer, much more lame generations coming about.

-Shpongle1

InvisibleFrankHorrigan
The Inquisition
Male

Trusted Cultivator
Re: How I do grain to grain in a still air box! [Re: bishlap]
    #17442717 - 12/24/12 04:33 PM (11 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

petersodm said:
I am just making the transition from PF tek to growing bulk in a greenhouse using WBS. This helps a lot. Thanks for the guide :thumbup:

No problem! It's very easy once you get a couple runs in :thumbup:

Quote:

San said:
Looks like those lids are a pain to use for G2G since you can't just lift them up and place them back on. I'll be going with the normal metal ones :P

Totally personal preference, definitely do it however you're most comfortable.
I just put it back on, push it down and twist it shut with one hand. Plastic lids work wonders for me.

Quote:

bishlap said:
sweet you finally changed your avatar.
:borat:

It'll be going back to FH shortly :crazy2:

--------------------

OfflineBlake_Shroom
Stranger
 User Gallery

#17442728 - 12/24/12 04:35 PM (11 years, 3 months ago)

That quote in your sig is awesome

Offlinetripdawg420
low life with no life
Male

Loc: illinois
Re: How I do grain to grain in a still air box! [Re: Blake_Shroom]
    #17442786 - 12/24/12 04:50 PM (11 years, 3 months ago)

nice :congrats: i see a TC tag in your future :pimp:

--------------------
HUSTLER
How U Survive This Life Everyday Resourcefully
epic GT mono tub
http://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Number/17277772

wbs tek
http://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Number/11525679
coir tek
http://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Number/11917410
results :thumbup:

InvisibleJonnyS

Re: How I do grain to grain in a still air box! *DELETED* [Re: tripdawg420]
    #17442845 - 12/24/12 05:08 PM (11 years, 3 months ago)

Post deleted by JonnyS

Reason for deletion: .

Offlinecloudpersona
I don't even...

#17442902 - 12/24/12 05:28 PM (11 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

FrankHorrigan said:

Fucking epic shirt.

--------------------
“The shaman is not merely a sick man, or a madman; he is a sick man who has healed himself.”
– Terence McKenna
“If the words ‘life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness’ don’t include the right to experiment with your own consciousness, then the Declaration of Independence isn’t worth the hemp it was written on.”
-Terence McKenna

InvisibleWillSolvem
Odd-Hand
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Chapter 26 Flag
Re: How I do grain to grain in a still air box! [Re: JonnyS]
    #17442938 - 12/24/12 05:39 PM (11 years, 3 months ago)

Nice done brother +5 if I hadn't rated you already, I soak paper towels in iso and place on the floor of the SAB instead of the standing water, makes cleaning up any grains that were spilled easier, I prefer a SAB with the tyvek arms attached, nice write up brother!

Heres a pic of mine

--------------------

AMU Q&A Thread because questions deserve answers.

InvisibleFrankHorrigan
The Inquisition
Male

Trusted Cultivator
Re: How I do grain to grain in a still air box! [Re: cloudpersona]
    #17443497 - 12/24/12 07:52 PM (11 years, 3 months ago)

:thanx:

I'll be getting more pics up soon as well.
WillSolvem, your idea about iso soaked paper towels is a good one. I will most likely adopt this with soapy water soaked paper towels. It will also keep the jars from sliding around which is nice :thumbup:

Quote:

JonnyS said:
This is a nicely composed tutorial. A simple and efficient method to stretch out your spawn. Looking forward to trying this with Lion's Mane.

I'll be getting lions mane's clones soon...I'm very excited to fill my GH with LM.
:awesomenod:

Quote:

cloudpersona said:
Quote:

FrankHorrigan said:

Fucking epic shirt.

I may have done that on purpose :hehehe:

--------------------

Offlineiwannabemro
TOO MUCH FUN!!!
Male

#17443652 - 12/24/12 08:13 PM (11 years, 3 months ago)

Nice write up :thumbup:

--------------------
MexA Fruiting

Offlineshamanamba
The Shaman
Male User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: How I do grain to grain in a still air box! [Re: WillSolvem]
    #17443809 - 12/24/12 08:37 PM (11 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

WillSolvem said:
Heres a pic of mine

This is neat! I made a few SGFC's using the same upside-down method a while back.

When I first posted this pic, people were calling it the SGFC/humidity dome hybrid.

only thing I'd advise about with using this for a SAB is that it would be a little more difficult to get just the walls and not the ceiling wet.

I'd speculate that this build will also cause one to want to wait a little longer for the air inside to settle still after closing it up. With a top up-design, you can just slide the lid on over the top and press down, thus disturbing the air quite a bit less than dropping a dome over the top-down design you have.

On the note of the G2G in a SAB tech, I'll add that I switched to regular mouth quart jars because the canning funnels they sell at walmart fit them. I haven't found any canning funnels that fit wides.

The plastic canning funnels walmart has are made of polypropylene plastics which will withstand the heat of a pressure cooker without melting or warping (double check by locating the PP5 recycling mark embedded in the plastic) and they can be stacked inside each other to save space.

Walmart has carried these in a variety of colors over the years, but generally, they'll look like this:

In preparation for SAB G2G, I'll make a stack of 10 to 15 of these with wax paper between each funnel and pressure cook the stack inside a tupperware container for 30 mins.

I put the whole tupperware container containing the funnels in the SAB with all the other stuff while getting set up for work.

I use each funnel for 2 transfers and then switch to a fresh sterile one. the funnel helps prevent spillage and also ensures that none of the grains brush up against the jar mouth, thus preventing them from picking up any contams that may be lurking along the rim of the jar.

Aside from that, I've gotten into the habit of wearing the whole tyvek suit while working in the SAB. I happened to find one at Lowe's recently that even has a tyvek hood and footies built in!

Along with the tyvek suit, I breath through a SURGICAL grade face mask and wear a face protector of this type:

I wear this face protector upside down, with the strap around my neck and the yellow part below my chin. This directs my breath up and over the SAB and off to the sides. If you wear this style face protector "properly", it'll only direct your breath towards the arm ports, thus being practically useless, if not harmful to your work.

-EDIT- Also, for the purposes, of this EXCELLENT tek from the OP, I find it important to add a brief explanation of why not to wet down the ceiling inside the SAB. This is a point that is commonly not understood by new cultivators, and as we all know, newbs tend to skip over things they don't fully understand lol

Simply put, drippage. One doesn't want the soapy water dripping off the inside of the lid onto their work. The inside of the lid stays dry until the box is misted immediately prior to closing it up, and then the airborne fine water particles settling inside the SAB will get on the lid enough to provide the sticky surface for contams to cling to, but not enough that it will drip said contams onto your work. 

--------------------
The Shaman

Edited by shamanamba (12/24/12 08:45 PM)

Offlineshamanamba
The Shaman
Male User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: How I do grain to grain in a still air box! [Re: WillSolvem]
    #17444933 - 12/25/12 01:45 AM (11 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

WillSolvem said:
Nice done brother +5 if I hadn't rated you already, I soak paper towels in iso and place on the floor of the SAB.

I'm not here to tell anyone what to do, but I find it pertinent to interject here, having once before lost my eyebrows and looked like a crazy jackass for what felt like forever after having a still air box full of iso alch fumes ignite and combust from the red hot syringe needle I had just sterilized outside the box.

It I'm feeling anal and simply must have a disinfectant or sanitizing agent, I only ever use low conscentrations of bleach in a mister bottle of tap water.

--------------------
The Shaman

InvisibleWillSolvem
Odd-Hand
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: How I do grain to grain in a still air box! [Re: shamanamba]
    #17445338 - 12/25/12 06:34 AM (11 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

shamanamba said:
Quote:

WillSolvem said:
Nice done brother +5 if I hadn't rated you already, I soak paper towels in iso and place on the floor of the SAB.

I'm not here to tell anyone what to do, but I find it pertinent to interject here, having once before lost my eyebrows and looked like a crazy jackass for what felt like forever after having a still air box full of iso alch fumes ignite and combust from the red hot syringe needle I had just sterilized outside the box.

It I'm feeling anal and simply must have a disinfectant or sanitizing agent, I only ever use low conscentrations of bleach in a mister bottle of tap water.

Ouch! To date I have never used a syringe in a SAB, I prefer clones and agar transfers, when I do use a syringe I use them in (unsterile) open air conditions, I heat the needle until red then cool it by sticking it into a piece of sponge soaked in iso, then through and into the self healing.. you get the point, never had any problems, thanks for the heads up though

--------------------

InvisibleWillSolvem
Odd-Hand
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: How I do grain to grain in a still air box! [Re: shamanamba]
    #17445356 - 12/25/12 06:48 AM (11 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

shamanamba said:
Quote:

WillSolvem said:
Heres a pic of mine

This is neat! I made a few SGFC's using the same upside-down method a while back.

When I first posted this pic, people were calling it the SGFC/humidity dome hybrid.

only thing I'd advise about with using this for a SAB is that it would be a little more difficult to get just the walls and not the ceiling wet.

I'd speculate that this build will also cause one to want to wait a little longer for the air inside to settle still after closing it up. With a top up-design, you can just slide the lid on over the top and press down, thus disturbing the air quite a bit less than dropping a dome over the top-down design you have.

On the note of the G2G in a SAB tech, I'll add that I switched to regular mouth quart jars because the canning funnels they sell at walmart fit them. I haven't found any canning funnels that fit wides.

The plastic canning funnels walmart has are made of polypropylene plastics which will withstand the heat of a pressure cooker without melting or warping (double check by locating the PP5 recycling mark embedded in the plastic) and they can be stacked inside each other to save space.

Walmart has carried these in a variety of colors over the years, but generally, they'll look like this:

In preparation for SAB G2G, I'll make a stack of 10 to 15 of these with wax paper between each funnel and pressure cook the stack inside a tupperware container for 30 mins.

I put the whole tupperware container containing the funnels in the SAB with all the other stuff while getting set up for work.

I use each funnel for 2 transfers and then switch to a fresh sterile one. the funnel helps prevent spillage and also ensures that none of the grains brush up against the jar mouth, thus preventing them from picking up any contams that may be lurking along the rim of the jar.

Aside from that, I've gotten into the habit of wearing the whole tyvek suit while working in the SAB. I happened to find one at Lowe's recently that even has a tyvek hood and footies built in!

Along with the tyvek suit, I breath through a SURGICAL grade face mask and wear a face protector of this type:

I wear this face protector upside down, with the strap around my neck and the yellow part below my chin. This directs my breath up and over the SAB and off to the sides. If you wear this style face protector "properly", it'll only direct your breath towards the arm ports, thus being practically useless, if not harmful to your work.

-EDIT- Also, for the purposes, of this EXCELLENT tek from the OP, I find it important to add a brief explanation of why not to wet down the ceiling inside the SAB. This is a point that is commonly not understood by new cultivators, and as we all know, newbs tend to skip over things they don't fully understand lol

Simply put, drippage. One doesn't want the soapy water dripping off the inside of the lid onto their work. The inside of the lid stays dry until the box is misted immediately prior to closing it up, and then the airborne fine water particles settling inside the SAB will get on the lid enough to provide the sticky surface for contams to cling to, but not enough that it will drip said contams onto your work. 

Thanks brother, I prefer them upside down, no matter how slow or cautious you are you will disturb air inside the SAB and unless it is 100% air tight some air is moving in and out of the lid, its harder for a contam to enter and be thrown up and into a jar, unlike havering right side up and them just falling in, I call it a breathable seam lol my issue is I don't want to be breathing all over a breathable seam.. I could use a mask, or I could build it upside down.

The movement before sealing is fine as I fog the thing for 10 minutes with triethylene glycol

--------------------

Invisiblej3rk0ff
Stranger
 User Gallery

Re: How I do grain to grain in a still air box! [Re: Trippy_Penguin]
    #18848474 - 09/16/13 10:49 AM (10 years, 6 months ago)

hey frank i got a question do you change out fresh tyvek sleeves or do you reuse them? if reuse do you wash them to keep them fresh?

InvisibleFrankHorrigan
The Inquisition
Male

Trusted Cultivator
Re: How I do grain to grain in a still air box! [Re: j3rk0ff]
    #18848697 - 09/16/13 11:48 AM (10 years, 6 months ago)

I reuse them until they are ragged...then they get used as a filter for my spawn bags.

No need to really "freshen" them up, I've never had issue with it. Just make sure they don't start falling apart.

--------------------

Invisiblej3rk0ff
Stranger
 User Gallery

#18849051 - 09/16/13 12:59 PM (10 years, 6 months ago)

just want to make sure im getting this down right. while doing your g2g you leave the lid off the master jar the entire time you are doing you transfers. you only put the lid on the receiving jars?

--------------------
want to grow like a Boss
great links:
How Frank gets shit done
TL: HOW I DO EVERYTHING

OfflinePussyFart
Retired Cultivation Extrodinaire
Male

Loc: Orbiting Earth
Trusted Cultivator
Re: How I do grain to grain in a still air box! [Re: j3rk0ff]
    #18849065 - 09/16/13 01:02 PM (10 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

j3rk0ff said:
just want to make sure im getting this down right. while doing your g2g you leave the lid off the master jar the entire time you are doing you transfers. you only put the lid on the receiving jars?

That's how I do it.

And the receiving jars lids are only off for a second or two at the most, then sealed back up.

Quote:

j3rk0ff said:
how many jars do you get  each master jar?

This is all personal preference....you can expand it to 5 jars with a lot of inoculation points or 10 jars with fewer inoculation points.

Nowadays I usually just gor for 7-9....but have done up to 12....

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   North Spore Injection Grain Bag   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck