Home | Community | Message Board

RVF Garden Supply
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: Pressure Cooker

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflineThe_LosT_SouL
Experimentor
NEED INFO ON CASINGS. READ FAQ
    #1743732 - 07/24/03 05:02 AM (13 years, 4 months ago)

1. I am new to mushroom cultivation so please excuse my lack of terms and proper wording for this post. I am very very much a n00b and require quick assistance from you kind, helpful, and generous shroomerites out there.

- WHAT IS THE BEST WAY TO STERILIZE CASING SOIL

I read a tek that caught my interest today, sounded pretty efficient and easy. http://www.shroomery.org/index/par/7977 . I read about pasterizing the stuff in a pillow case ontop of a boiling pot of water.. I don't have a pressure cooker and was wondering if there was a less silly, more efficient way to sterilize the soil. I hear that it's not nessecary to do so, but it is a good idea to reduce the chance of contams. I also read that someone, an experianced grower, puts his soil bag, after sterilization in a pc, outside, unsealed, with something holding the bags closed. claims that it will put required nutrients, that get lossed during cooking, back into the substrate, and keeps the bugs out. I don't know how safe of an idea this is, but he says it works.

- HOW DEEP SHOULD CASING TREY BE

I have rubbermaid containers, for chambers. Standard size, about 2 1/2' by 1 1/4' by 3' or so dimensions. I was going to get a trey that would fit into that, the entire thing, minus the one inch wall space. I was going to use a trey 4" deep for the entire casing.

- IS THIS SMART?

Going by that tek that i read, i was going to, as soon as the casing was preped, put it directly into the chamber, and wait for colonization, with no light, and after the casing colonizing 100% or so, I would give it 12/12 everyday, to fruit.

- If im using a fish tank for air filtration, how long each day should it be running? is constant on good? and are they noisey?

Sorry for eating up all the bandwidth that I did, but I can seem to get my exact questions answered in faq's or anything like that. you know how it is, if you want to, reply to all my questions. any feed back or ideas or tips would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Shroomerite #596989

--------------------
The light dimmed, as I further, helplessly staggered down the cold stoned ramp, into the stagnent depths of the Ananaki Catacombs. |The walls are covered in Mushrooms.. Gulp, chomp, glump! mmmmm goood!

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflineJackal
Well Versed In Etiquette
 User Gallery

Re: NEED INFO ON CASINGS. READ FAQ [Re: The_LosT_SouL]
    #1743749 - 07/24/03 05:38 AM (13 years, 4 months ago)

- WHAT IS THE BEST WAY TO STERILIZE CASING SOIL?

The 50/50+ tek is a good casing tek, one I have been using for a while. Casing material has to be as bland as possible to avoid contaminants. Its main function is not to supply nutrients to the mycelium but moisture, and to act as a barrier to the nastys. Pasteurizing is cool if you're using bland ingredients, but in my view the casing material has to be as clean as possible.

- HOW DEEP SHOULD CASING TRAY BE?

If you are using a 4 inch deep tray, then I suggest 3 - 3 1/2 inch substrate 1/2 - 1 inch casing material. I would be inclined to make the casing layer closer to 1 inch than 1/2 inch.

- IS THIS SMART?

Yes, introduce the light when you're ready for pinning - this is usually when the casing layer is 100%

- If im using a fish tank for air filtration, how long each day should it be running? is constant on good? and are they noisey?

An hour every 12 hours should suffice. Although this is open to debate.

hth

OfflineThe_LosT_SouL
Experimentor
Re: NEED INFO ON CASINGS. READ FAQ [Re: Jackal]
    #1758598 - 07/29/03 04:46 AM (13 years, 4 months ago)

Thanks dude that helps alot. I bought one of those pokect fans, and am using that to fan out a chamber of cakes, it seems to kinda take air in as well as put it out with positvie presure, it's not filtered but its better then opening the lid and doing it with a mouse pad... lol... one more thing, could you tell me a good way to pasturize or, how i could fully sterilize without a pressure cooker, and, am i right in assuming that, since the peatmoss doesn't give nutrients to the mycelium, it doesn't matter if the soil's nutrients run dry correct?

--------------------
The light dimmed, as I further, helplessly staggered down the cold stoned ramp, into the stagnent depths of the Ananaki Catacombs. |The walls are covered in Mushrooms.. Gulp, chomp, glump! mmmmm goood!

OfflineJackal
Well Versed In Etiquette
 User Gallery

Re: NEED INFO ON CASINGS. READ FAQ [Re: The_LosT_SouL]
    #1758916 - 07/29/03 08:33 AM (13 years, 4 months ago)

Ideally for pasteurization you want to simmer at 170?F for about 90 mins. Some people use a microwave, others use an electric stove.

My hot tap water comes out at about that temp. so I pasteurize in the bath. :laugh:

Quote:

since the peatmoss doesn't give nutrients to the mycelium, it doesn't matter if the soil's nutrients run dry correct?

Not sure what you mean here, it is preferable if the casing layer has no nutrients, and if you allow the casing soil to dry out then its no longer serving its primary purpose as a moisture source.

OfflineBatFly
captain obvious

#1759278 - 07/29/03 12:17 PM (13 years, 4 months ago)

i think he's only talking about the nutrients "running dry", and not refering to water content.

OfflineJackal
Well Versed In Etiquette
 User Gallery

Re: NEED INFO ON CASINGS. READ FAQ [Re: BatFly]
    #1759294 - 07/29/03 12:29 PM (13 years, 4 months ago)

Thats why I said I wasn't sure what he meant - I tried to cover all angles. :wink:

OfflineThe_LosT_SouL
Experimentor
    #2090995 - 11/11/03 01:31 AM (13 years, 1 month ago)

I love the shroomery. You guys are all really cool and very helpfull to noobs. I really appreciate it. :smile:

--------------------

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop for: Pressure Cooker

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation