Home | Community | Message Board

Edabea
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> The Psychedelic Experience >> Trip Reports

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflineJackal
Well Versed In Etiquette
 User Gallery

The Mind is Like a River
    #1743730 - 07/24/03 05:02 AM (13 years, 4 months ago)

An interesting analogy I thought up. Needs a bit of work, but I thought it might be useful for people who have never tripped to get an idea.

You wake up the morning and your mind is at the source, rising out of a slumber preparing for its long winding journey out to the sea. The currents and movement of the water are your thoughts, the complex but surprisingly fragile riverbed is your personality. Its features contain your ego, your identity, your memories, things you have learnt and things that you know to be real and true.

As the day progresses your mental waterway will run into many features typically encountered by a river as it makes it way towards the sea:
A fast flowing stream of emotion, where your thoughts rush by and there is little time for concentration.
A fork of decision, the river has the option of going one way or the other - ultimately you have to decide on a direction, once you have decided it is often very hard to go back.
With the lakes of tranquility comes those treasured moments where you can just relax and enjoy the peace and serenity. When you're ready you can continue on your way.
As the day wears on you reach the estuary, on the verge of catching a current into the sea of unconscious you can reflect upon the day you have had or plan tomorrows journey. Either way it won't be long before you're part of the body of water that all rivers empty into - the dreamworld.

What Happens to the River When You Take Mushrooms?

The rains come. Your once steady-flowing river is subject to a rainstorm. The normal flow is now disrupted. The water level rises, whirlpools appear. The pace increases and the currents become stronger. Parts of the riverbank are swept into the flow, the riverbed that is your personality succumbs to some very interesting shifts. The pebbles of ego are lifted from the bed and are held in suspension by the river, they travel the distance of the trip until the gravity of sobriety regains control and restores them to their place on the bed.
The sediment of knowledge and memory is lifted from the bed and mixed randomly, memories begin to overlap. The knowledge from your own riverbed can become confused with the foreign material dragged in from the riverbanks. It is difficult to tell the difference between the two. What knowledge is yours? What is real? A little concentration will give you the answer.

All that remains is the bedrock that is your raw identity, but as sure as night follows day; soon it will have its ego pebbles and knowledge sediment restored.

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflineStrumpling
Neuronaut
Loc: Hyperspace
Re: The Mind is Like a River [Re: Jackal]
    #1744722 - 07/24/03 03:21 PM (13 years, 4 months ago)

interesting thoughts - thanks for sharing man :smile:

Peace

--------------------
Insert an "I think" mentally in front of eveything I say that seems sketchy, because I certainly don't KNOW much. Also; feel free to yell at me.
In addition: SHPONGLE

OfflineDreamer987
The VerbalHerman Munster
Female

Loc: Texas
Re: The Mind is Like a River [Re: Jackal]
    #1746850 - 07/25/03 03:28 AM (13 years, 4 months ago)

I like that alot. Kind of a new more elaborate twist on the old "you are the drop of of rain hitting the ocien thing.

--------------------

Offliner00tg04t
the main event

Loc: Canada
Re: The Mind is Like a River [Re: Dreamer987]
    #1748171 - 07/25/03 02:44 PM (13 years, 4 months ago)

Yea not bad, did you think of that sober or trippin?

--------------------
Bro'z b4 Hoe'z

OfflineJackal
Well Versed In Etiquette
 User Gallery

Re: The Mind is Like a River [Re: r00tg04t]
    #1750188 - 07/26/03 05:42 AM (13 years, 4 months ago)

Somewhere between the two - I was coming up.

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> The Psychedelic Experience >> Trip Reports