Home | Community | Message Board

Cannabis Seeds - Original Sensible Seeds
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
Offlinestarfungi
daydreamer

Loc: south pacific
Is Music a Drug?
    #1742979 - 07/23/03 09:49 PM (20 years, 8 months ago)

If you think of it, music has some of the aspects that drugs have. Atleast on me. It can send tingles down my spine and make me feel absolutelty fantastic, better than on many drugs! I can feel addicted to it, quite often I can't wait for the working day to end so I can go home and listen to some. I actually get depressed if I can't listen to good music every now and then.
I would never choose any substance before it.
Does all this make music a drug?

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineAmnesiac
Re-memberingcosmic wisdom

Loc: Unknown
Re: Is Music a Drug? [Re: starfungi]
    #1743045 - 07/23/03 10:08 PM (20 years, 8 months ago)

All depends on your definition of what a drug is!
Somebody was bound to say that, so I thought I'd be the first :smile:

According to my definition of drug, music is not a drug. But you're right, there are a lot of similarities!

To me, a drug is a man-made substance that is consumed or put into the body in one way or another in order to relieve some kind of pain, or treat an illness, whether it's emotional, psychological, physical or mental.

Don't get me wrong... music HEALS! But since it's not actually a physical substance, it isn't a drug.

But hey, that's just by my definition! In conclusion, either way you look at it, music feels damn good!

--------------------
Here we are, in these bodies, on this planet in an endless universe. This is not the extent of who we are... merely an extension of who we really are.

OfflineMusicMind
journeyman

#1743099 - 07/23/03 10:26 PM (20 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

starfungi said:
If you think of it, music has some of the aspects that drugs have. Atleast on me. It can send tingles down my spine and make me feel absolutelty fantastic, better than on many drugs! I can feel addicted to it, quite often I can't wait for the working day to end so I can go home and listen to some. I actually get depressed if I can't listen to good music every now and then.
I would never choose any substance before it.
Does all this make music a drug?

to me...music IS my drug. i totally agree with you. i could write a whole paper about how it makes me feel but i'm not. ...........i'll just say i very much agree

OfflineDoctorJ
Male

Loc: space
Re: Is Music a Drug? [Re: MusicMind]
    #1743121 - 07/23/03 10:32 PM (20 years, 8 months ago)

I remember one day I was in a really shitty mood and things weren't going very well for me in general, and I was driving somewhere and I remembered that sometimes this one station played techno. I turned it on and heard the most beautiful trance ever. I don't know what records this guy had, but I seriously dug his taste in trance (a lot of it is crap). He continued to play good track after good track and I hadn't even heard most of it before! All of the sudden I felt so uplifted, it was like I had just taken a roll. By the time I got where I was going, all of my worries were gone and I felt like I was walking on air!

OfflineDoctorJ
Male

Loc: space
Re: Is Music a Drug? [Re: DoctorJ]
    #1743126 - 07/23/03 10:34 PM (20 years, 8 months ago)

oh yeah, and sometimes I fiend for music, too, you know, like:
"must... listen to... megadeth..."

OfflinePDU
travel kid vs.amerika
 User Gallery

Loc: beautiful BC
Re: Is Music a Drug? [Re: MusicMind]
    #1743128 - 07/23/03 10:35 PM (20 years, 8 months ago)

By any dictionary definition music is not a drug, but im with you, i wouldnt pick any other substance over music, i would not live life without music. It share's the same traits as some drug's, but the same can be said for many thing's. Like Amnesiac said, since it is not a physical thing it is not a drug.

Riding a roller coaster can be addictive, and stimulating, and send tingle's down your spine, but that does not classify it as a drug.

Just because something stimulates your neuro transmiters cannot classify it as a drug, as pretty everything we see and do and here and smell and touch stimulates our brains.

--------------------
GO OUTSIDE.

OfflineAmnesiac
Re-memberingcosmic wisdom

Loc: Unknown
Re: Is Music a Drug? [Re: PDU]
    #1743169 - 07/23/03 10:46 PM (20 years, 8 months ago)

I think people should use music as a replacement for drugs. The bad drugs anyway... but I don't consider things like mushrooms and marijuana "drugs" anyway... To me, they are tools, because I use them not to treat ailments or alleviate pain, but to help me see from different perspectives.

But for the people who are seriously addicted to harmful drugs... Maybe they just need the right tunes to listen to!

Then again, I think it's unrealistic to think that a heroin addict would actually think of it as an adequate replacement...

--------------------
Here we are, in these bodies, on this planet in an endless universe. This is not the extent of who we are... merely an extension of who we really are.

Anonymous

#1743198 - 07/23/03 10:58 PM (20 years, 8 months ago)

I would say music is a drug. The music enters your body through soundwaves, which are a type of energy. How is this so dissimilar to energy in the form of a physical substance? They're both energy, just in different forms. If that energy alters your brain chemistry in some way, what does it matter what form it's in? I would compare music to sugar if I had to compare it to a physical substance. At least that's the effect it has on me.

Offlinemonoamine
umask 077(nonefor you)

Loc: Jacksonville,FL
    #1743224 - 07/23/03 11:07 PM (20 years, 8 months ago)

Is music a drug? No,but it can alter consciouness.It's not suprising that many native cultures that used psychedelics often did so with rythmic playing of drums.

All of my best drug experiences have involved music.I even think in music sometimes.I connect certain songs with peroids of my life also.

I took up playing the guitar about a year and half ago and it literally saved my life.I was abusing morpine quite heavily for about a year,and I think music was the one of the main reasons I've quit.Playing guitar eased the pangs of withdrawal like nothing else could.When I wanted to scream at the top of my lungs,I let my guitar do it for me. When I wanted to destroy myself,I let howling feedback kill my inner demons.Music eases tension.It's my form of meditation.

I even think rhythm is inherant in the universe. I think their is a reason one can see sound in highly altered states.I think everything is some kind of vibration of energy. This universally energy can be conveyed aurally through music.

--------------------
People think that if you just say the word "hallucinations" it explains everything you want it to explain and eventually whatever it is you can't explain will just go away.It's just a word,it doesn't explain anything...
Douglas Adams

Edited by grandmasterfat (07/23/03 11:09 PM)

OfflinePDU
travel kid vs.amerika
 User Gallery

Loc: beautiful BC
Re: Is Music a Drug? [Re: ]
    #1743260 - 07/23/03 11:20 PM (20 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

Max Headroom said:
I would say music is a drug. The music enters your body through soundwaves, which are a type of energy. How is this so dissimilar to energy in the form of a physical substance? They're both energy, just in different forms. If that energy alters your brain chemistry in some way, what does it matter what form it's in? I would compare music to sugar if I had to compare it to a physical substance. At least that's the effect it has on me.

well said! I have a "brainwave generator" which just plays a loop of high frequency and it certainly alters my brain chemistry significantly...very very comparable to getting stoned. Im not sure what to think now...:s

--------------------
GO OUTSIDE.

Offlinestarfungi
daydreamer

Loc: south pacific
Re: Is Music a Drug? [Re: PDU]
    #1743424 - 07/24/03 12:19 AM (20 years, 8 months ago)

yeah, it's probably wrong to call music a drug as in the textbook definition of a drug (something you 'take'). But it's definitely a very powerful mind/mood-altering energy! It's not exactly a coincidence that people who are in to entheogens in particular, also are very interested in music. Two different mind tools that work very well together!

OfflineAudi0
have ur cake andbeat it 2
Female User Gallery

Loc: Dirty South !
    #1743435 - 07/24/03 12:23 AM (20 years, 8 months ago)

Like alot of people said, its not really a drug, but it causes emotions and feelings that can mimic the effect of drugs sometimes. Trance does it to me. Whenever I hear it I feel like the slightest bit like I am on e. It might be because my brain associated trance and ecstasy from using them together but its still the music causing me to feel that way.

--------------------

Offlinemushroomviking
Electric WhiskerButton

Loc: Vancouver, BC
Re: Is Music a Drug? [Re: DoctorJ]
    #1743521 - 07/24/03 12:57 AM (20 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

DoctorJ said:
oh yeah, and sometimes I fiend for music, too, you know, like:
"must...  listen to...  megadeth..." 

Yeah man Megadeth is awesome.. I'm always fiending for Megadeth  :laugh:

I don't consider music a drug, I consider it something like breathing, or walking, it's just something that's always there, and you know it always will be.  Music is great... Listening to Pink Floyd - The Wall right now  :wink:

OfflineStrumpling
Neuronaut
Loc: Hyperspace
    #1743606 - 07/24/03 01:36 AM (20 years, 8 months ago)

art = a drug IMO

--------------------
Insert an "I think" mentally in front of eveything I say that seems sketchy, because I certainly don't KNOW much. Also; feel free to yell at me.
In addition: SHPONGLE

Offlinefredthetree
Stranger

Loc: Canada
Are drugs art? [Re: starfungi]
    #1744061 - 07/24/03 08:46 AM (20 years, 8 months ago)

I think the two are very connected. Music (and every other art form), is the expression of emotion, ideas, and creativity.

Quote:

cre-a-tiv-i-ty
Pronunciation: (krE"A-tiv'i-tE, krE"u-), [key]
--n.
1. the state or quality of being creative.
2. the ability to transcend traditional ideas, rules, patterns, relationships, or the like, and to create meaningful new ideas, forms, methods, interpretations, etc.; originality, progressiveness, or imagination: the need for creativity in modern industry; creativity in the performing arts.
3. the process by which one utilizes creative ability: Extensive reading stimulated his creativity.

Typically, drugs promote creativity ("the ability to transcend traditional ideas, rules, patterns..."). Drugs, music, and art in general, all have this ability, as well as being able to alter one's mood, and influence normal thought-processes, and all can help bring a person into an altered state of consciousness.

Perhaps drugs (hallucinogens in particular) should be considered art, or "interactive art"? After all, isn't the point of art to open one's eyes, and allow him/her to see something in a way they never imagined possible?

So yes, I think music is definately a drug; it does everything I think hallucinogens should be used for, and then some.

Invisibletak_old
Endo Smoke

Loc: State of confusion
Re: Are drugs art? [Re: fredthetree]
    #1744372 - 07/24/03 10:54 AM (20 years, 8 months ago)

music is the expression of emotion. music is better than drugs, but music and drugs go pretty well together ;]

OfflineDrubuShrume
EAT ME - I'm afungi

Loc: Right where I need to be
Re: Are drugs art? [Re: tak_old]
    #1744954 - 07/24/03 02:35 PM (20 years, 8 months ago)

I'm a music addict. Everynight when I'm going to sleep I got through withdrawals and hear songs in my head. When I wake up they start bake up again. I was thinking of taking a break from music, but when I'm bored I make beats and it seems to kill the boredom for a while. Then the weed kicks in and I can juss chill

--------------------
AH HA....

OfflinegoaTranceFreak
goaTranceFreak

Re: Are drugs art? [Re: DrubuShrume]
    #1745066 - 07/24/03 03:18 PM (20 years, 8 months ago)

Dont know about that, but magic :mushroom2: + psytrance = cosmic bliss!
There is nothing better, its like the beat takes your body over, and the sounds take the mind over. Pure energy vibes!
Check out www.psychedelik.com psy trance radio...pure madness... 

--------------------
...the crack between the nothing...

Offlinehubertd8
Pooh-Bah

Loc: springfield
Re: Are drugs art? [Re: goaTranceFreak]
    #1757691 - 07/28/03 09:33 PM (20 years, 8 months ago)

I think in a sense it's not a drug but has drug like effects, for instance like mentioned earlier it can elevate a emotion, increase/decrease heart rate, decrease pain, as well as having addictive properties. One cannot compare it to other substance, a more accurate comparison would be to something such as running, or even religion. The reason for music's pain surpression and euphoric effects is believed to be due to the bodies release of endorphins while exposed to it. Similiar effects are experience while jogging (runner's high) or other activities. Endorphins decrease pain, produce euphoria thus can explain the pleasure we obtain from something like music. I believe there have been studies done which gave the research subjects a drug that blocked the effects of endorphins, the result were a lost or significantly diminished level of enjoyment when exposed to music. Well i'm kinda tired so i'll stop, oh also i forgot to mention that operant conditioning may play a role in musics ability to stimulate regions in the brain which are rich in neurotransm. such as endorphins and dopamine, (most likely due to music being predominantly present during joyful/pleasent events in our lives) i'm sure there tons of info on the web regarding this, I got most of my info from a psych 375(Brain and Behavior) coarse.

--------------------
"There is much pleasure to be gained from useless knowledge."

Bertrand Russell

OfflineFaaip_De_Oiad
as above, so below
Male User Gallery

Loc: Malice, Tx
Re: Are drugs art? [Re: hubertd8]
    #1757778 - 07/28/03 09:56 PM (20 years, 8 months ago)

wow, great thread, I always thought of alot of things that aren't "drugs" as drugs for example, religion, TV. alot of people use these in the same way they use drugs, as a crutch, or to get away from problems, or to get out of thinking. so in a way music is like a drug.

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies