Home | Community | Message Board

Sporeworks
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   North Spore Bulk Substrate   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
InvisibleTPython
A Fraction of the Whole
Male User Gallery

Incubation to fruiting temperatures
    #17417511 - 12/19/12 02:59 PM (11 years, 3 months ago)

Hey everybody I've been using the shroomey  for research purposes for a while now but I'm just now getting to my first grow:laugh:! I have been using the search bar excessively but haven't found much on this topic. RR has said that anywhere from 72-78 is perfectly fine for colonization so I've been keeping my PF jars at 75F. I've read that it's best when transferring to your FC that dropping the temperature 10 degrees is an optimal pinning trigger.

So my thought was that dropping the temp to 65 would be a bit cold and may slow growth substantially. I was thinking of  just dropping to 70 degrees or if I should even lower it at all.

I'm just looking for any input or experiences that more experienced cultivators than myself have had on this subject. I apologize in advance if this has already been discussed and I somehow over looked it.

Any help will be appreciated! Thank you

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Invisibleop2kal
 User Gallery

Re: Incubation to fruiting temperatures [Re: TPython]
    #17417577 - 12/19/12 03:14 PM (11 years, 3 months ago)

Room temp is fine... my room stays about 63 and I just harvested 5 dry grams off one cake!!! I haven't gotten those kinda results before, but im definitely gettin average yields (2-4 grams per cake/per harvest)...

Hell my jars colonize just fine at 67 F too.... and ultimately the lower temps prove better because- contamination's are less likely to grow.

--------------------

InvisibleTPython
A Fraction of the Whole
Male User Gallery

Re: Incubation to fruiting temperatures [Re: op2kal]
    #17417612 - 12/19/12 03:22 PM (11 years, 3 months ago)

Alright thanks a lot I just wanted to make sure I wouldn't stall them out, I feel so protective over these things haha. If you don't mind me asking how long did it take from birth to harvest? And do you like to dunk and roll on your first flush or just mist and wait to dunk for the later flushes?

Invisibleop2kal
 User Gallery

#17417671 - 12/19/12 03:35 PM (11 years, 3 months ago)

My very first time it took 30 days for my jars to fully colonize- waited 7 days after full colonization- birthed-- then it took roughly 10 days to get a harvest... but now im getting cakes to full colonization in around 20 days, still have the 7 days after full colonization before birth and then still roughly 10 days to harvest

I birth them, dunk them overnight, and then roll them in verm after the dunk. Don't re-roll between flushes, just dunk 'em in water overnight.

--------------------

InvisibleTPython
A Fraction of the Whole
Male User Gallery

#17417697 - 12/19/12 03:41 PM (11 years, 3 months ago)

Alright thanks a lot zombie lord;) answered everything I need to know. Badass slow-mo lighting by the way!
      Peace:mushroom2:

Invisibleop2kal
 User Gallery

#17417710 - 12/19/12 03:44 PM (11 years, 3 months ago)

thank you good sir

--------------------

OfflineTrippy_Smurf
Sketchy Mother Fucker
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Smurf Villiage Flag
    #17417754 - 12/19/12 03:56 PM (11 years, 3 months ago)

Don't drop the temperature.  Cold shocking does not work with cubes.  somewhere in the 70s is optimal for all stages of growth.

--------------------
SECURITY:  READ THIS!

Chef:  Kids, what did I tell you about drugs?
Kids:  There's a time and a place for everything, and it's called college.

How to be a good shroomie    How to grow mushrooms    A collection of good links (may be outdated)    How things should look    How to pass a drug test

InvisibleTPython
A Fraction of the Whole
Male User Gallery

Re: Incubation to fruiting temperatures [Re: Trippy_Smurf]
    #17417843 - 12/19/12 04:14 PM (11 years, 3 months ago)

Not trying to cold shock. I have my jars in a tub in tub incubator set up with very minimale chance of contam from the water. i have the lid on the inside tub with a silicon hose with hepa filter tightly fitted into the side of the tub connected to a small air pump that comes on for an hour 3 times a day for air exchange. The temp stays at a constant 76F. I did this instead of leaving in room temp because my house drops to high 50s low 60s during the night and I didn't want the temp fluctuation to mess up growth. Once I birthed them I was going to dunk and roll them and place in an unincubated tub in a room with a space heater for a constant 70F to start the pinning process.
  Should I just leave them at room temp which varries from 60 to 70. Then dunk and roll and fruit in same conditions? Will changing the temp now after 7 days effect the flushes to come at all?

OfflineRogerRabbitM
Bans for Pleasure
Male User Gallery

Loc: Seattle
Trusted Cultivator
OG Cultivator
    #17419144 - 12/19/12 08:44 PM (11 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

TPython said:
I've read that it's best when transferring to your FC that dropping the temperature 10 degrees is an optimal pinning trigger.

You read bad info from years past.  Tropical species do not benefit from a lower fruiting temperature.  In fact, you can colonize your jars at 75F to 80F and then fruit at 85F and still get great performance, often better.
RR

--------------------
Download Let's Grow Mushrooms

semper in excretia sumus solim profundum variat

"I've never had a failed experiment.  I've only discovered 10,000 methods which do not work."
Thomas Edison

Invisibleop2kal
 User Gallery

Re: Incubation to fruiting temperatures [Re: RogerRabbit]
    #17419190 - 12/19/12 08:55 PM (11 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

RogerRabbit said:
Quote:

TPython said:
I've read that it's best when transferring to your FC that dropping the temperature 10 degrees is an optimal pinning trigger.

You read bad info from years past.  Tropical species do not benefit from a lower fruiting temperature.  In fact, you can colonize your jars at 75F to 80F and then fruit at 85F and still get great performance, often better.
RR

Thanks for the info. Been awhile since I've seen ya patrolling glad to see your still lurking! Though, on the same note can't say I've paid ultra-close attention.:cool:

--------------------

InvisibleTPython
A Fraction of the Whole
Male User Gallery

Re: Incubation to fruiting temperatures [Re: RogerRabbit]
    #17419872 - 12/19/12 11:23 PM (11 years, 3 months ago)

Do you think my cakes will fruit just fine with the 5 degree drop in temp from incubation? Or  since this is a tropical strain it will hurt it? The only reason I don't want to say screw it to the incubator and colonize at room temp is because I'm not sure what the fluctuation in temp will do to the substrate. Any reassurance would be great. Thanks a bunch RR.
Oh and by the way I have 6 1/2 pint jars of golden teacher and 6 jars of Wollongong if I haven't stated that already. Thanks!

OfflinePussyFart
Retired Cultivation Extrodinaire
Male

Loc: Orbiting Earth
Trusted Cultivator
    #17419902 - 12/19/12 11:28 PM (11 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

TPython said:
Do you think my cakes will fruit just fine with the 5 degree drop in temp from incubation? Or  since this is a tropical strain it will hurt it? The only reason I don't want to say screw it to the incubator and colonize at room temp is because I'm not sure what the fluctuation in temp will do to the substrate.

For tropical species temperature is not a pinning factor.

Optimal temps are mid 70s throughout the whole grow, but anywhere from 70F-80F is acceptable.

Incubation is outdated unless temps in the range stated above cannot be kept.

Fruiting at cooler temps tends to produce denser, meatier fruits, while fruiting at higher temps will often produce hollow, less dense stems.

Do not worry about temperature fluctuations that much, in nature the temps fluctuate all the time.

InvisibleTPython
A Fraction of the Whole
Male User Gallery

Re: Incubation to fruiting temperatures [Re: PussyFart]
    #17419941 - 12/19/12 11:36 PM (11 years, 3 months ago)

Very true I hadn't thought about it like that. I'm stress free now and all there is to do is wait. I guess now is a good time to get better acquainted to ms. Mary Jane:cool:
        Thanks to everyone for the help!

Invisible36fuckin5
Alchemycologist

Loc: Diving into Mystical Territori...
Trusted Cultivator
    #17419982 - 12/19/12 11:45 PM (11 years, 3 months ago)

Dropping 5 or 10 degrees F for fruiting doesn't really help, but it won't really hurt either. If it has to drop, let it.

Quote:

TPython said: I feel so protective over these things

Don't be. Think of them kind of like a cat. They want to be played with when they want to be played with. They'll deal with you playing with them at other times, but they'll only get minimal enjoyment. If you wait for them to tell you they want you, they'll love you till they die. :smile:

--------------------
Redd Foxx said:
If you're offended I don't give a shit and don't come see me no more.

Pat The Bunny said:
A punk rock song won't ever change the world, but I can tell you about a couple that changed me.

bodhisatta said:
i recommend common sense and figuring it out.

These are the TEKs I use. They're all as cheap and easy as possible, just like your mom.

InvisibleTPython
A Fraction of the Whole
Male User Gallery

Re: Incubation to fruiting temperatures [Re: 36fuckin5]
    #17420242 - 12/20/12 01:20 AM (11 years, 3 months ago)

Haha man I love all the people in this community. I'm new to this and am sure that ill have many friends and have many successful grows to come. If my grow doesn't go tto well I'm going to try the monotub tek. Ill be sure to make my cats love me and I hope they make my brain love them too:grin:
  Ill be sure to post my final product of my cakes if anybody cares haha.

Invisible36fuckin5
Alchemycologist

Trusted Cultivator
    #17420252 - 12/20/12 01:26 AM (11 years, 3 months ago)

If your grow doesn't go well, you should try the same thing again, but tweak it with what you learn. Upgrading to something harder before you get the basics down won't help you much.

--------------------
Redd Foxx said:

Pat The Bunny said:
A punk rock song won't ever change the world, but I can tell you about a couple that changed me.

bodhisatta said:

These are the TEKs I use. They're all as cheap and easy as possible, just like your mom.

OfflineTrippy_Smurf
Sketchy Mother Fucker
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Smurf Villiage Flag
    #17421168 - 12/20/12 09:18 AM (11 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

36fuckin5 said:
If your grow doesn't go well, you should try the same thing again, but tweak it with what you learn. Upgrading to something harder before you get the basics down won't help you much.

:whathesaid:
:werd:

--------------------
SECURITY:  READ THIS!

Chef:  Kids, what did I tell you about drugs?
Kids:  There's a time and a place for everything, and it's called college.

How to be a good shroomie    How to grow mushrooms    A collection of good links (may be outdated)    How things should look    How to pass a drug test

InvisibleTPython
A Fraction of the Whole
Male User Gallery

#17421213 - 12/20/12 09:32 AM (11 years, 3 months ago)

Right now the jars seems to be colonizing fine but on one of them there's little black specs around inoculation point. Doesn't look like a contam to me but more of something from the substrate. Could that be? I got my substrate jars from widest grow kit

InvisibleFrankHorrigan
The Inquisition
Male

Trusted Cultivator
    #17421274 - 12/20/12 09:48 AM (11 years, 3 months ago)

36fuckin5, you bring wisdom wherever you go :thumbup:

:raisemyglass:

--------------------

Yes, you can bump my old threads with a question.
Here is how I get things done.
You should take a look. :hehehe:

Frank's tips and tricks. Updated on 3/21/14
AMU- Get an answer here -AMU

Invisible36fuckin5
Alchemycologist

Trusted Cultivator
    #17421612 - 12/20/12 11:23 AM (11 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

TPython said:
Right now the jars seems to be colonizing fine but on one of them there's little black specs around inoculation point. Doesn't look like a contam to me but more of something from the substrate. Could that be? I got my substrate jars from widest grow kit

It's probably just from the spores, but watch it and see what happens. If it grows, it's a contam.

And Frank, thank you. I try.

--------------------
Redd Foxx said:

Pat The Bunny said:

bodhisatta said:

InvisibleTPython
A Fraction of the Whole
Male User Gallery

#17425230 - 12/20/12 11:15 PM (11 years, 3 months ago)

Here's a pic of the jar. The mycelium is growing fine but still a little worried about this black specs. Has anyone experienced these around inoculation point?

http://imageshack.us/a/img515/2738/imagexowl.jpg

OfflinePussyFart
Retired Cultivation Extrodinaire
Male

Loc: Orbiting Earth
Trusted Cultivator
    #17425290 - 12/20/12 11:25 PM (11 years, 3 months ago)

Probably just verm, doesn't look like anything to worry about to me. :shrug:

InvisibleTPython
A Fraction of the Whole
Male User Gallery

Re: Incubation to fruiting temperatures [Re: PussyFart]
    #17425421 - 12/20/12 11:51 PM (11 years, 3 months ago)

Alright thanks a lot again to everybody that helped me out. I think my next post will be the GTs and wollongongs in the fruiting chamber to see if there's any noticeable difference between the strains.
          Peace!✌

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2  [ show all ]

Shop: Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   North Spore Bulk Substrate   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order