Home | Community | Message Board

Phytoextractum
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> The Ethnobotanical Garden

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Original Seeds Store Cannabis Seeds   Amazon Grow Light, HPS

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
InvisiblethePatient
Criminal Bodhisattva
Male User Gallery

Loc: Indiana
My lighting situation?
    #1741438 - 07/23/03 03:58 PM (14 years, 2 months ago)

let me paint the setting:

I am growing cannibas sativa in an aquarium, which is safely tucked away in one of my closets. Inside are 3 pot plants, of an average size of 5 inches. For lighting, i started off with a 60 walt bulb. Then i upgraded to a 120 watt bulb, after the seeds sprouted. That lighting i ran as start for 12 hrs on 12 hrs off cycle. Then i decided to change it to 24 hrs. So it has been running for 24 hrs for, sometime now. I just purchased another 120 watt bulb and another clamp lamp to improve the lighting once again. I wasnt sure of when the vegetative period of the plants start, so thats why i got the new lighting yesterday.

My problem being, i let the new bulb run with the old for about 4 hrs and i came back to find my plants toppling over. They look to have 'wilted' slightly. Unless its my imagination. Are the plants recieving to much wattage/light too fast? Should i regulate the wattage and slightly increase the hours of use as time goes by?

Thanks in advance.

--------------------
T h e r e  a r e  n o  o r d i n a r y  m o m e n t s.

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Offlineresin
Ghetto Monster
Male User Gallery

Loc: Ca$hville
Re: My lighting situation? [Re: thePatient]
    #1741468 - 07/23/03 04:04 PM (14 years, 2 months ago)

What kind of lights are you using? Do your plants have a fan on them? They need a constant air flow to make the plant slightly move at all times(when young) this causes your plant to be strong and it wont topple over. You did whong by starting at 12/12 then switching to 24/0. Keep your plant at 24/0 during veg and when you want it to flower switch it at 12/12. I doubt its getting too much light.Sativas get tall. In the wild the get in excess of 20 feet. Your going to have a hard time growing that indoors muchless in a aquarium. I hope you have a 7 foot closet with a 400 watt hps or better or I doubt you will flower it sucessfully. Sativas also have an extremly long flowering time that can take up to 14 weeks where as indica flowers in 6 weeks.

InvisiblethePatient
Criminal Bodhisattva
Male User Gallery

Loc: Indiana
Re: My lighting situation? [Re: resin]
    #1741550 - 07/23/03 04:20 PM (14 years, 2 months ago)

Im not exactly sure if its Cannibas Sativa, or any other type of cannibas. That was my fault for admitting such a false claim. The seeds were just something i took out of a dank bag of marijuana that i had bought. Ive heard several times i need a fan, but i dont know how i would get one to sit, so it could blow in my aquarium. My aquarium is about 3 ft tall. I guess i thought id deal with the "size" situation when it happened, if it happened. I could always repot it in a pot, then have it sit on the ground in my closet, with a couple more lights on it. Three 120 watt bulbs would be 360 worth of Wattage.

Oh and the bulbs are just Agro-Lite bulbs by Philips. They say they are specifically "For the Acceleration of Indoor Plant Growth". I dont understand the ballast situation with HPS and Metal Halide bulbs, so i went with this. (its also cheaper).

--------------------
T h e r e  a r e  n o  o r d i n a r y  m o m e n t s.

Offlineresin
Ghetto Monster
Male User Gallery

Loc: Ca$hville
    #1741644 - 07/23/03 05:54 PM (14 years, 2 months ago)

Ask what you need to know about a ballast, I made my own grow light. Are they halogen bulbs? Flourecent? Hid? You HAVE to get air to them or they will simply fall over and die. Try to place a fan above them or somthing. 3 feet is bare minimum height and if there not indica its gonna be hard, real hard. You can make a 175 watt Metal Halide grow light for like 50 bucks. How far are your leaf sets(nodes) apart from one another?

Offlinesocratesmind
old hand

Loc: in your house :)
Re: My lighting situation? [Re: resin]
    #1741674 - 07/23/03 06:05 PM (14 years, 2 months ago)

www.overgrow.com then goto GROWfaq

--------------------
Prohibition will work great injury to the cause of temperance. It is a species of intemperance within itself, for it goes beyond the bounds of reason in that it attempts to control a man's appetite by legislation, and makes a crime out of things that are not crimes. A Prohibition law strikes a blow at the very principles upon which our government was founded.
- Abraham Lincoln: Speech in the Illinois House of Representatives, Dec 18, 1840.

InvisibleDazedSol
old hand

#1745949 - 07/24/03 10:17 PM (14 years, 2 months ago)

Yep, everything you need is at overgrow.com .....

I hear decent buds can be grow with flouros(all flourescent lights are pretty much the same thing, no need to buy special expensive 'plant lights', normal 'full spectrum'lights will suffice)......for your space i would get two of the widest double ballast lights that your space will safely allow; keep the lights about 3 or 4 inches from the top of your plants(as close as possible without 'burning' the babies)(rig a pully system or something like 'little shevles(nails,etc) on a 2" X 4" frame of sorts), during vegatative growth keep lights on as long as you can(i've heard of people leaving lights on for up to 48-60 hours then leaving off for 5 to ten)......you may want to prune to make bushier plants..thus more light hits more future bud sites; find a fertilization plant on overgrow; be safe, definately check out overgrow.com, dont tell ANYONE!!! that i hear cant be stressed enough...you know the old saying 'loose lips, sink ships'....biligerant Ex's come back to haunt people alot, etc

hope your growing somewhere legal! :smile:

:bong: im done ranting

--------------------
Peace,
Adam

Edited by DazedSol (07/24/03 10:30 PM)

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Shop: Original Seeds Store Cannabis Seeds   Amazon Grow Light, HPS

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> The Ethnobotanical Garden