Home | Community | Message Board

Mushrooms.com
Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract, Kratom Powder For Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds, Bulk Cannabis Seeds, Feminized Cannabis Seeds, High THC Strains, USA West Coast Strains   North Spore Injection Grain Bag, North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
InvisibleZarotti
Stranger

Can you always achieve Rhyzomorphic Myzelium when using Agar ?
    #17412882 - 12/18/12 06:43 PM (9 years, 1 month ago)

Couple weeks ago dripped a few drops of a Spore Syringe on agar

->The No pour agar jar (No pour Agar Tek) showed multiple colonies with (only) cotton myzelium -no rhyzomorphic growth (as expected)

->Did the first transfer -6days old so far only thin/fuzzy/cotton myzelium visible

Q:---> If you keep on transfering the thickest,leading edge of your cotton agar myzelium will there be a time where rhyzomorpic growth appears ?

-------------------------------------------------------------------
Just read this Thread about moisture in relevance to rhyzomorphic growth

http://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Number/10561634#10561634

^ iS this representable ?

If your agar is wet -->fuzzy myzelium
If its dry          -->Rhyzomorphic thick myzelium ?

Extras: Filter Print Post Remind Me! Notify Moderator Top
Offlinetwistedty
Forcefully Retired
Male User Gallery

Loc: Middle
Re: Can you always achieve Rhyzomorphic Myzelium when using Agar ? [Re: Zarotti]
    #17412896 - 12/18/12 06:45 PM (9 years, 1 month ago)

use the search engine, RR states somewhere the less nutrients you use in agar the more rhiz you get

i dont know the recipe or nothing though

InvisibleArmFromTheAbyss
Old Hand

Loc: Down here in Babylon
Re: Can you always achieve Rhyzomorphic Myzelium when using Agar ? [Re: Zarotti]
    #17413156 - 12/18/12 07:30 PM (9 years, 1 month ago)

It may take several transfers to see rhizomorphs.

Mycelium can be cottony on an agar dish only to become rhizomorphic when transferred to grain. Colonized grain can be cottony only to become rhizomorphic when spawned to a bulk sub. IMO, selecting random pieces of rhizomorphic mycelium is just as much of a crap-shoot as MS. The presence of a rhizomorph on a petri dish is a not a direct indication of a good fruiting or potent strain. I open my dishes in front of a flow hood to air them out and induce pinning. Then I select a good pin and clone it. Typically only 1 or 2 more transfers will give a monoculture of a fruiting strain.

The way RR does it is like taking an apple and planting all of its seeds, then waiting for them to grow into trees and seeing if they happened to produce good fruit. If you've got the time and it makes you happy then do it that way.

--------------------

InvisibleSpitballJedi
Ancient Astronaut
Male User Gallery

Loc: Nibiru Flag
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Can you always achieve Rhyzomorphic Myzelium when using Agar ? [Re: ArmFromTheAbyss]
    #17413218 - 12/18/12 07:41 PM (9 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

ArmFromTheAbyss said:

Mycelium can be cottony on an agar dish only to become rhizomorphic when transferred to grain. Colonized grain can be cottony only to become rhizomorphic when spawned to a bulk sub. IMO, selecting random pieces of rhizomorphic mycelium is just as much of a crap-shoot as MS. The presence of a rhizomorph on a petri dish is a not a direct indication of a good fruiting or potent strain. I open my dishes in front of a flow hood to air them out and induce pinning. Then I select a good pin and clone it. Typically only 1 or 2 more transfers will give a monoculture of a fruiting strain.

The way RR does it is like taking an apple and planting all of its seeds, then waiting for them to grow into trees and seeing if they happened to produce good fruit. If you've got the time and it makes you happy then do it that way.

You just blew my mind

--------------------
The Basics
A little civility goes a long way

The Noob Forum
The Hammock Hangers' Forum

InvisibleFrankHorrigan
The Inquisition
Male

Trusted Cultivator
Re: Can you always achieve Rhyzomorphic Myzelium when using Agar ? [Re: ArmFromTheAbyss]
    #17413356 - 12/18/12 08:02 PM (9 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

ArmFromTheAbyss said:

Mycelium can be cottony on an agar dish only to become rhizomorphic when transferred to grain. Colonized grain can be cottony only to become rhizomorphic when spawned to a bulk sub. IMO, selecting random pieces of rhizomorphic mycelium is just as much of a crap-shoot as MS. The presence of a rhizomorph on a petri dish is a not a direct indication of a good fruiting or potent strain.

:whathesaid:
Couldn't have said it better myself.
I prefer planting all the seeds though :lol:

--------------------

Yes, you can bump my old threads with a question.
Here is how I get things done.
You should take a look. :hehehe:

Frank's tips and tricks. Updated on 3/21/14
AMU- Get an answer here -AMU

OfflineHeadFood
Shroomer
 User Gallery

Re: Can you always achieve Rhyzomorphic Myzelium when using Agar ? [Re: SpitballJedi]
    #17413462 - 12/18/12 08:13 PM (9 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

SpitballJedi said:
Quote:

ArmFromTheAbyss said:

You just blew my mind

Couldn't have said it better considering I'm trying to figure out which of my 18 isolates is the best....

Arm, do you just take the top of the petri dish off and that's it?  Won't there be too much FAE and it'll dry out too fast?

OfflineHeadFood
Shroomer
 User Gallery

Re: Can you always achieve Rhyzomorphic Myzelium when using Agar ? [Re: HeadFood]
    #17416236 - 12/19/12 11:06 AM (9 years, 1 month ago)

Can anyone explain in detail this method that ArmFromTheAbyss is talking about?

OfflineJcoonan
Stranger

Re: Can you always achieve Rhyzomorphic Myzelium when using Agar ? [Re: HeadFood]
    #17416311 - 12/19/12 11:30 AM (9 years, 1 month ago)

What he is saying is he fruits his agar then selects a clone from what he presumes is a monoculture and clones it to ensure the phenotype he selected actually fruits.

--------------------
:awecid::awecid:

Disclaimer: All posts by this user are fictious and outright forgeries of posts and pictures found elsewhere on the Internet. Do not heed any advice or suggestions as they are baseless and without merit. All posts are for entertainment and entertainment alone and should not be confused for fact or truth.

Offlineskippydude
Myco-curious
Male User Gallery

Loc: "Alice's Wonderland"
Re: Can you always achieve Rhyzomorphic Myzelium when using Agar ? [Re: Jcoonan]
    #17416334 - 12/19/12 11:39 AM (9 years, 1 month ago)

:takingnotes:

InvisibleArmFromTheAbyss
Old Hand

Loc: Down here in Babylon
Re: Can you always achieve Rhyzomorphic Myzelium when using Agar ? [Re: skippydude]
    #17416624 - 12/19/12 01:03 PM (9 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

HeadFood said:

This first happened to me by accident. I made a "no pour" agar jar using only potato broth and agar. The lid had gas exchange. I forgot about it and after about 2 weeks checked on it to see a little pin cluster.

When I opened the lid in front of my flow hood  to clone the biggest pin it induced more pinning. A few days later the entire thing was pinning. After transferring the clone it only took 1 more transfer to get a monoculture that was vigorous and rhizomorphic.

--------------------

OfflineHeadFood
Shroomer
 User Gallery

#17417593 - 12/19/12 05:17 PM (9 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

Jcoonan said:
What he is saying is he fruits his agar then selects a clone from what he presumes is a monoculture and clones it to ensure the phenotype he selected actually fruits.

Thanks for the reply but not what I was asking. Pretty sure that part was self explanatory.

Quote:

ArmFromTheAbyss said:
Quote:

HeadFood said:

This first happened to me by accident. I made a "no pour" agar jar using only potato broth and agar. The lid had gas exchange. I forgot about it and after about 2 weeks checked on it to see a little pin cluster.

When I opened the lid in front of my flow hood  to clone the biggest pin it induced more pinning. A few days later the entire thing was pinning. After transferring the clone it only took 1 more transfer to get a monoculture that was vigorous and rhizomorphic.

Oh ok so you only had the petri open for a quick second and that induced the pinning.  I think I will try this with my plates.  Do you think this will also work to find a p.tampanesis or p.galindoi that will fruit?

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract, Kratom Powder For Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds, Bulk Cannabis Seeds, Feminized Cannabis Seeds, High THC Strains, USA West Coast Strains   North Spore Injection Grain Bag, North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom