Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Left Coast Kratom Shop: Kratom Powder For Sale

Jump to first unread post Pages: < Back | 1 | 2  [ show all ]
InvisibleEdame
gone

Loc: outta here
Re: Supporting growth [Re: GazzBut]
    #1738301 - 07/22/03 01:07 PM (20 years, 8 months ago)

From X-Prize.org:

The X PRIZE is a $10,000,000 prize to jumpstart the space tourism industry through competition between the most talented entrepreneurs and rocket experts in the world. The $10 Million cash prize will be awarded to the first team that:

* Privately finances, builds & launches a spaceship, able to carry three people to 100 kilometers (62.5 miles)
* Returns safely to Earth
* Repeats the launch with the same ship within 2 weeks

Hopefully the X-Prize will kickstart the space industry again, by showing large compaines that it is possible to reach space without insane NASA size budgets. There are quite a few people going for this, even Id software's John Carmack (who runs Armadillo Aerospace).

I'm really hoping that when they figure out how to properly manipulate carbon nanotubes, we'll start construction of a space elevator.

I agree with you on Bucky's idea of the world grid too, I get the impression that it's still feasable so I don't really know why it hasn't been implemented.

--------------------
The above is an extract from my fictional novel, "The random postings of Edame".
:tongue:

In the beginning was the word. And man could not handle the word, and the hearing of the word, and he asked God to take away his ears so that he might live in peace without having to hear words which might upset his equinamity or corrupt the unblemished purity of his conscience.

And God, hearing this desperate plea from His creation, wrinkled His mighty brow for a moment and then leaned down toward man, beckoning that he should come close so as to hear all that was about to be revealed to him.

"Fuck you," He whispered, and frowned upon the pathetic supplicant before retreating to His heavens.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineDoctorJ
Male

Loc: space
Re: Supporting growth [Re: Edame]
    #1738571 - 07/22/03 02:48 PM (20 years, 8 months ago)

"The $10 Million cash prize "

I piss $10 million. you could barely pay yourself back with that.

they can offer $10 milion and give NASA its pittance of a budget, but when are they going to start spending on the same level as national defense (ie- 367 billion)?

InvisibleEdame
gone

Re: Supporting growth [Re: DoctorJ]
    #1738579 - 07/22/03 02:52 PM (20 years, 8 months ago)

That's why they're doing it, we can't count on governments to do it, so they have to make it cheap enough to be profitable.

--------------------
The above is an extract from my fictional novel, "The random postings of Edame".

In the beginning was the word. And man could not handle the word, and the hearing of the word, and he asked God to take away his ears so that he might live in peace without having to hear words which might upset his equinamity or corrupt the unblemished purity of his conscience.

And God, hearing this desperate plea from His creation, wrinkled His mighty brow for a moment and then leaned down toward man, beckoning that he should come close so as to hear all that was about to be revealed to him.

"Fuck you," He whispered, and frowned upon the pathetic supplicant before retreating to His heavens.

OfflineDoctorJ
Male

Loc: space
    #1738590 - 07/22/03 02:56 PM (20 years, 8 months ago)

367 billion on weapons to kill eachother

15 billion on space exploitation (spaceploitation) which could net us untold riches and expand the lifespan of the human race indefintely...

we need to get our priorities strait

InvisibleEdame
gone

Re: Supporting growth [Re: DoctorJ]
    #1738593 - 07/22/03 02:58 PM (20 years, 8 months ago)

I completely agree with you. :smile:

--------------------

OfflineAzmodeus
Seeker

Loc: Lotus Land!! B.C.
    #1738635 - 07/22/03 03:12 PM (20 years, 8 months ago)

Not even that many people died!....its the food, and transport, and prescision guided bombs and shit....

But yeah...priorities.... :wtf:

--------------------
"Know your Body - Know your Mind - Know your Substance - Know your Source.

Lest we forget. "

OfflineGazzBut
Refraction

Loc: London UK
    #1740470 - 07/23/03 05:10 AM (20 years, 8 months ago)

X-Prize looks like a good idea, anything that gets us moving into space quicker has got to be a good thing. Though I suppose from our point of perspective it looks like things are moving very slowly in regards to space exploration. It almost seems like we've found this new frontier and are now scared to move past it. But in terms of human evolution, let alone planetary evolution, we are moving into a space at an amazing speed. Its almost like the exploration of space using technology mirrors the exploration of inner space using psychedelics. Both seem slow and cumbersombe but both are probabaly moving quicker than we think.

--------------------
Always Smi2le

OfflineEchoVortex
(hard) member
Re: Supporting growth [Re: GazzBut]
    #1741021 - 07/23/03 12:07 PM (20 years, 8 months ago)

Somehow this thread has veered wildly off topic from a consideration of some very serious and REAL ecological problems to idle fantasy about space exploration, colonization, etc.

This idea that we can solve our problems by going out into space is an attractive one but I think it tends to lessen the sense of urgency over what we are doing to this planet. Our problems range far beyond merely exhausting fossil fuels--widespread, massive species extinction, reduced biodiversity (and the far-reaching disruptions in ecological processes that causes), toxic and hormone-mimicking chemicals in the environment, excessive levels of garbage and other waste, fish stock depletion, the creation of new pathogens (HIV, SARS, etc.) because of human effects on the ecosystem, etc., etc.

All of these problems acting in concert pose a real threat to the very survival of the human species during the next one hundred years. The media's emphasis on fossil fuels and global warming is basically a red herring to distract attention from the REALLY frightening realities. I serious doubt that massive space exploration is going to become viable in time to make a difference. We need to focus on solving these problems on Earth.

OfflineAzmodeus
Seeker

Re: Supporting growth [Re: EchoVortex]
    #1741057 - 07/23/03 12:22 PM (20 years, 8 months ago)

Bah!..you go ahead, im moving to the moon! :stoned:

--------------------

Lest we forget. "

InvisibleEdame
gone

Re: Supporting growth [Re: EchoVortex]
    #1741085 - 07/23/03 12:31 PM (20 years, 8 months ago)

I happen to think that getting into space will help with these problems though.  Every industry we can move into space is one less industry polluting the planet .  Some people doubted we'd ever get to the moon, now we're remote controlling probes on the surface of Mars.  Never underestimate the ever increasing rate of technology. :smile:

--------------------

Edited by Edame (07/23/03 12:34 PM)

OfflineAzmodeus
Seeker

#1741095 - 07/23/03 12:33 PM (20 years, 8 months ago)

And we'll never run out of space to put garbage in.....space....

And we can then consume resources at a phenominal rate building stations and supply lines back as we go!....Mabye we can even find another form of life to work for us.

--------------------

Lest we forget. "

Jump to top Pages: < Back | 1 | 2  [ show all ]

Left Coast Kratom Shop: Kratom Powder For Sale