Home | Community | Message Board

Marijuana Demystified
Please support our sponsors.

Feedback and Administration >> Shroomery News Service

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflinemotamanM
old hand
 User Gallery
DAs try antiterror laws for drug cases
    #1741044 - 07/23/03 02:17 PM (13 years, 4 months ago)

http://www.charlotte.com/mld/observer/news/local/6348541.htm

Posted on Mon, Jul. 21, 2003

DAs try antiterror laws for drug cases

WINSTON-SALEM - Following the lead of Watauga County, other district attorneys in North Carolina are considering using antiterrorism laws to prosecute accused methamphetamine producers.

Watauga County District Attorney Jerry Wilson last week charged a man accused of running a methamphetamine lab with violating state laws involving the manufacture of nuclear or chemical weapons.

The statute, passed in November 2001, was meant to deal with terrorists and carries a stiffer sentence than most drug laws.

"We sat down and began looking for something more that we could use as a weapon against these people, and that's the statute we found," said Wilson, whose county has had 24 meth labs raided this year.

Forsyth County District Attorney Tom Keith said his office's policy now is that "we will put B1 felonies on anyone having anything to do with methamphetamines. These things are very dangerous."

B1 felonies carry prison sentences ranging from 12 years to life.

The first person who will be prosecuted under the antiterrorism laws is Martin Dwayne Miller, 24, of Todd.

Miller, who was arrested July 11, was charged with two counts of manufacturing a nuclear or chemical weapon, in connection with charges relating to methamphetamine production. Even if Miller were convicted of the most serious drug charge against him, he might have served only six months in prison, Wilson said.

To link the drug's production to chemical weapons, prosecutors referred to the toxic and combustible nature of the chemicals involved in methamphetamine production. They said police officers and firefighters who respond to calls involving the drug risk serious injury.

Keith said the use of the antiterrorism law to stop the growth of methamphetamine laboratories is necessary to prevent problems that have plagued other states.

"We're not going to let them get a foothold," Keith said. "If we catch them, we want to take their life away, put them away for as long as we can."

Several defense lawyers reacted to Wilson's decision with a mix of skepticism and concern for the rights of the accused.

"It seems to me to be a real stretch of the imagination, that this would be covered under the antiterrorism law," said Wallace Harrelson, Guilford County's public defender. "It seems to me that the antiterrorism law was designed with a specific purpose in mind, to prosecute people who are threatening to hurt the safety of the general public."

Forsyth County public defender Pete Clary said Wilson might be overstepping his bounds as a prosecutor.

"I think it's up to the legislature to decide whether the law is `woefully insufficient'," Clary said. "The DA is charged with enforcing the laws on the books, not as he wishes they were."

--------------------
http://heffter.org

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflineSeussA
Error: divide byzero

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Caribbean
Re: DAs try antiterror laws for drug cases [Re: motaman]
    #1741194 - 07/23/03 02:58 PM (13 years, 4 months ago)

Using antiterror laws to prosecute drug cases is a slap in the face to everybody that was effected by the events that led to the creation of the antiterror laws in the first place. The DAs should be ashamed.

--------------------
Just another spore in the wind.

OfflineTheHobbit
Pot Head Pixie

Loc: the Oily Way...
Re: DAs try antiterror laws for drug cases [Re: Seuss]
    #1741444 - 07/23/03 03:59 PM (13 years, 4 months ago)

Wow, what a load of shit...how many companies manufacture things in which potentially combustible chemicals are used? Amazing...

InvisibleTinMan
Stranger

Loc: Russia
Re: DAs try antiterror laws for drug cases [Re: motaman]
    #1742283 - 07/23/03 08:49 PM (13 years, 4 months ago)

Well, I guess if this drug can be considered a chemical weapon(poisonous in large enough quantities), any other drug can also be considered so. Image millions of Americans being in prison for violating antiterror laws...

OfflineBaby_Hitler
Errorist
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: To the limit!
Re: DAs try antiterror laws for drug cases [Re: TinMan]
    #1743691 - 07/24/03 04:15 AM (13 years, 4 months ago)

Imagine when pollution is controlled with anti-terror laws.

--------------------

InvisibleTinMan
Stranger

Loc: Russia
Re: DAs try antiterror laws for drug cases [Re: Baby_Hitler]
    #1745042 - 07/24/03 05:05 PM (13 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

Baby_Hitler said:
Imagine when pollution is controlled with anti-terror laws.

It would probably be arrested before its actions could fall under these laws...

Offlinemonoamine
umask 077(nonefor you)

Loc: Jacksonville,FL
Re: DAs try antiterror laws for drug cases [Re: TinMan]
    #1750208 - 07/26/03 06:28 AM (13 years, 4 months ago)

Making meth is manufacturing chemical weapons? Give me a fuckin' break.

What about the pieces of human waste that spray paraquat on marijuana? I say they should be brought under terrorist charges for manufacturing chemical weapons.

--------------------
People think that if you just say the word "hallucinations" it explains everything you want it to explain and eventually whatever it is you can't explain will just go away.It's just a word,it doesn't explain anything...
Douglas Adams

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Feedback and Administration >> Shroomery News Service