Home | Community | Message Board

MushroomCube.com
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Gourmet and Medicinal Mushrooms

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract, Kratom Powder For Sale   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds, Bulk Cannabis Seeds, Feminized Cannabis Seeds, High THC Strains, USA West Coast Strains   North Spore Bulk Substrate, Injection Grain Bag, North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Amazon ½ Pint Jars, Agar, Hot Plate, Pressure Cooker, Vermiculite, Wild Bird Seed

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1 | 2  [ show all ]
OfflineTheLonelyShroom
Stranger

Macrolepiota Procera Mycelium Growth, First Attempt
    #17409164 - 12/17/12 10:00 PM (7 years, 11 months ago)

Hey guys, this is my first time grow and I am very excited that I was able to produce mycelium growth from a wild Macrolepiota Procera. If you want to see what I picked I posted a thread two weeks ago Here

Now I have some questions and then I will post pics. Today has been day 8 and I finally see very wispy growth in my jars. I am using a vermiculite and wheat flour media with a 1 inch pure vermiculite cap/filter/casing.

What I did was I put my media jars in a big pot with a top and steamed it for one hour (not a pressure cooker). Then I quickly cooled in the freezer for 1 hour. I used a Turkey injector as my spore syringe, the tip is unscrewed and put in the steamer as well, while the rest of the syringe was placed in a room temperature salt water bath while everything was steaming. In the cooker I also had a sealed jar of water which I would use as spore transfer liquid.

I used the typical 2 cups verm, 1 cup flour, 1 cup water with a 1 inch verm top. Now this is where I made my own rules. I scratch some spores into the sealed water jars and quickly injected about 2 oz. of water into each of my culture jars.

Why so much water? Well I had an idea to make sure I would not get contamination and that was two briefly flood the dry verm layer so that the spores would go to the bottom but after that all contamination would get stuck in the verm layer, and since I did not pierce it I should increase my odds of having a healthy jar.

8 days later it worked, and I have what I believe to be macrolepiota procera mycelium. It looks rather weak than the mycelium on this forum, looks like a whispy growth, but I believe it to be mycelium and not cobweb mold.

My next idea is to fruit this indoors using a soil, newspaper, leaves substrate. I have a few articles to read before then and have no spores left of this strain.

The strain seems very tiny for macrolepiota procera so I wanted to get some input on fruiting this culture so I could distribute these prints if I can get them to fruit.

If you made it this far do you have any advice?

Pics for the lazy guys

I will post mycelium at 50% colonization :smile:

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Invisibleatricoz
O.o
 User Gallery

Loc: Italy Flag
Re: Macrolepiota Procera Mycelium Growth, First Attempt [Re: TheLonelyShroom]
    #17410676 - 12/18/12 06:08 AM (7 years, 11 months ago)

I'm running this on wheat spawn too, I cloned a monster specimen found in Austria this summer. Growth is rhizomorphic on agar, and more fluffy on seeds. I guess I'll spawn my jar on sawdust/straw mix and bury it somewhere to see what will happen. Indoor cultivation looks difficult, but I could give it a try, with an unpasteurized casing layer.

--------------------

OfflineTheLonelyShroom
Stranger

Re: Macrolepiota Procera Mycelium Growth, First Attempt [Re: atricoz]
    #17411765 - 12/18/12 02:00 PM (7 years, 11 months ago)

See pics below. They seems to like cooler temperatures when my apartment got down to 60's it has taken over.

No contaminations you can see the thick filter verm layer.

Question: Should I remove the foil? It is not air tight but I believe removing may allow more contamination to breach the hull. Any advice?

Back to work.

Invisibleatricoz
O.o
 User Gallery

#17416863 - 12/19/12 02:10 PM (7 years, 11 months ago)

pics are too misfocused to judge; however, if you placed a filter on your lids, you should remove the tinfoil

--------------------

InvisibleJavadog
Continuing along
Male User Gallery

Loc: USA Flag
Trusted Cultivator
    #17418859 - 12/19/12 09:37 PM (7 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

atricoz said:
pics are too misfocused to judge; however, if you placed a filter on your lids, you should remove the tinfoil

QFT.  Usually it is the verm that provides the protection.

...but without further air restriction a fully open top would lead
to the verm layer, and then the sub, to dry out too much.

JD

--------------------
Boyd Rice told my brother that life is a corny pack of freesakes

Myco-tek.org

OfflineTheLonelyShroom
Stranger

Re: Macrolepiota Procera Mycelium Growth, First Attempt [Re: Javadog]
    #17419181 - 12/19/12 10:53 PM (7 years, 11 months ago)

Hey guys I got better pics for you. It turns out that my camera phone is about 10 years too old so I bought a digital camera for mushrooming. I have posted the mycelium pictures below.

It has colonized 100% on the wheat flour / verm layer but not yet in the filter layer. Since my filter layer is so thick will it attempt to colonize it?

Also when I call 100% colonization, I will wait a week and then birth this jar. However I will birth it into a pot with newspaper and cardboard for extra food and then case it with garden soil. Also I have a dead tomato and pepper plant I can add to the mix. Maybe toss in a few leaves. I am totally guessing here.

Weak spot here!

Should I perform the dunk and roll for this wild species?

InvisibleJavadog
Continuing along
Male User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #17419347 - 12/19/12 11:34 PM (7 years, 11 months ago)

Ha, I think that you'll do fine.

I pasteurized casing soil will help.

Good luck, and congrats on the new camera.

JD

--------------------

Myco-tek.org

OfflineTheLonelyShroom
Stranger

#17433651 - 12/22/12 08:24 PM (7 years, 11 months ago)

Hey thanks. I got a question. My mycelium hasn't advanced into the casing vermiculite layer yet. It looks exactly like my previous pictures but just a thicker white color. To call 100% colonization does the top vermiculite filter layer also need to be 100% colonized? It has colonized all of the wheat flour containing substrate but refuses to advance in the top of the jar.

Should I plan on a XMAS birthing or is that too soon?

InvisibleJavadog
Continuing along
Male User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #17433740 - 12/22/12 08:42 PM (7 years, 11 months ago)

I have not grown this genus yet, and so will hope that someone else pops in.

Mycelio?  :0)

I can say that often we wait to see growth just starting to poke
through the casing layer....but then again you will probably want
to patch the casing if it completely overtakes it without putting
up fruits.

Good luck,

JD

--------------------

Myco-tek.org

Invisibleatricoz
O.o
 User Gallery

#17434003 - 12/22/12 09:40 PM (7 years, 11 months ago)

As far as I know, nobody managed to grow this species indoor. It depends on soil bacteria to fruit, so if you want have some chanches of success, you should spawn your jar on sawdust/straw/compost and then bury the substrate in a good spot. This summer I found these huge specimen, from where I obtained the culture I'm working with.

http://img26.imageshack.us/img26/2470/img60911024x683.jpg

I currently have a wheat jar running, I'll do some experiments soon :smirk:

--------------------

OfflineTheLonelyShroom
Stranger

#17434117 - 12/22/12 10:09 PM (7 years, 11 months ago)

Every picture I see of M. Procera they are soooo huge. Mine is a miniature like 3 inch diameter cap! :frown:

OfflineJeff
Addict
Male User Gallery

#17434171 - 12/22/12 10:21 PM (7 years, 11 months ago)

I do have this on grain now.  Not that I will get it to fruit but it will be fun to try.

--------------------
Myco-tek

OfflineMycelio
Stranger
Male

Loc: Berlin Flag
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Macrolepiota procera Mycelium Growth, First Attempt [Re: Jeff]
    #17435532 - 12/23/12 05:46 AM (7 years, 11 months ago)

Hello everybody,

I'm also skeptical about the ID here. I do agree to the genus Macrolepiota, but not to M. procera. The mushroom is generally too small, the ratio of cap diameter to stem height does not fit and the ring is too tiny in my eyes. It must be one of the smaller Macrolepiota species, perhaps M. gracilenta or something closely related.
Here in Europe, there is a lot of confusion about those smaller species, but mushroom hunters just call them parasol and eat them. As long as they have a nutty smell, they should be as delicious as M. procera.

Colonization in the jars looks nice, but I can't see any of the thin rhizomorphs, which are typical for the genus Macrolepiota. I have never grown them on verm and wheat flour, so maybe rhizomorphs will show up later. Suitable substrates can be anything from sawdust/bran to straw/compost, but as Atricoz wrote, chances of indoor fruiting success are very close to zero. It seems like many people try, but only once per decade, somebody gets a tiny, deformed mushroom by accident. Burying colonized substrate in the garden, covering with soil and leaf or needle litter and waiting for summer or autumn rains should be the way to go.

Carsten

PS: I posted pics of my M. procera mycelia here:
http://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Number/10003166#10003166
and we had a similar discussion here:
http://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Number/15458150#15458150

OfflineTheLonelyShroom
Stranger

Re: Macrolepiota procera Mycelium Growth, First Attempt [Re: Mycelio]
    #17436464 - 12/23/12 12:47 PM (7 years, 10 months ago)

Hey Mycelio, would you recommend birthing the cake soon or should I wait an extra week?

My plan is to transfer a small amount so I can start a WBS jar, maybe just do another WF jar.

I have a bunch of newspaper and some dead plants that I will use to enrich the soil by having the mushrooms eat them. I will also inoc with soil where I found the wild mushroom. Then I will break up the cake as spawn for this tub, using the soil from my dead plants as the casing.

However if the cake is not ripe than I will just get mold.

How to tell if the middle is colonized?

OfflineMycelio
Stranger
Male

Loc: Berlin Flag
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Macrolepiota procera Mycelium Growth, First Attempt [Re: TheLonelyShroom]
    #17437195 - 12/23/12 03:28 PM (7 years, 10 months ago)

Whenever I do experiments like this, I wait several weeks and let the mycelium climb up the glass walls. With Macrolepiota species, I would only continue after I found rhizomorphs and the surface started browning here and there.

With your jar, I'd open it, use a clean, flamed spoon, remove anything uncolonized plus a thin, colonized layer from the top and then take flamed tweezers to dig out small, colonized particles to inoculate several new jars. The rest can be broken up and mixed thoroughly with pasteurized substrate, which should be moist, but not wet. Your chances will be good if you mix equal volumes. Maybe you sterilize an empty jar like the one you have, divide the crumbled substrate, mix in the new stuff, let colonize for a week or two and then repeat this method until you have enough material for a tub.

Carsten

Offlinebitepourrie
Mr
Male User Gallery

Loc: Concepcion Tarlac Philipp...
Re: Macrolepiota procera Mycelium Growth, First Attempt [Re: Mycelio]
    #17438219 - 12/23/12 07:12 PM (7 years, 10 months ago)

Nice culture but in China this species is cultured commercially already. If you want to see some of the top performances and advances in schrooming look at www.chinavivers.com the performance of Dr Zhu.
Aside the Mianjang institute in Sihuan there at least 8 others i know of who are concentrating on mushrooming

OfflineTheLonelyShroom
Stranger

#17443816 - 12/24/12 10:38 PM (7 years, 10 months ago)

Alright I am in the process of doing a huge newspaper bulk. What I did was boil down some cardboard and newspaper, straining the water off, then layering it into a Reynold's oven bag, using one of those recycle bags to support it (its fragile). I ripped the newspaper into small junks and layered it with vermiculite to soak up excess water.

Since people have complained about newspaper having excess liquid, I hand strained each chunk and am using the an oven tek to sterilize the substrate. After it is sterile I will then combine the WF cake into this substrate and then let sit for colonization.

This can only go horribly wrong! Look on the bright side.

Pictures up until now.

Strained Liquid ITS ALOT!!!

OfflineTheLonelyShroom
Stranger

#17444412 - 12/25/12 12:44 AM (7 years, 10 months ago)

Here is a little update on the transfer. The jar was 100% colonized in the middle. I crushed up the spawn and place it into the oven bag then put that inside a tub.

I know the oven is not the best sterile technique, and I am wondering if I got full sterilization in the middle. None the less this should be interesting on whether or not the mycelia takes being in their new home.

Newspaper smells kind of sweet when you cook it :smile:.

OfflineTheLonelyShroom
Stranger

#17498096 - 01/04/13 06:55 PM (7 years, 10 months ago)

So I think the oven idea was a mistake however I didn't completely mess things up. The tub is in a closet and I am waiting to see if it colonizes. The early myc is too hard to see on the substrate so last week I opened it up and didn't see anything. I might throw it out, not sure yet.

Well when I emptied the previous jar, I filled the jar with spring water and then stuck it in the fridge. I then inoculated some jars after waiting about 4 days. All 4 are colonizing see picture below.

What should I try next? I am trying out pine sawdust. I know everyone says it sucks but I am still using it, its all I can get.

OfflineTerry M
Stranger in a Strange Land
Male

Loc: Rhode Island
Re: Macrolepiota procera Mycelium Growth, First Attempt [Re: bitepourrie]
    #17498778 - 01/04/13 09:49 PM (7 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

bitepourrie said:
Nice culture but in China this species is cultured commercially already. If you want to see some of the top performances and advances in schrooming look at www.chinavivers.com the performance of Dr Zhu.
Aside the Mianjang institute in Sihuan there at least 8 others i know of who are concentrating on mushrooming

Hey, some of us don't read Chinese! This site looks like it is all in Chinese. :frown:

--------------------
Liberté, égalité, humidité.

InvisibleVersicolor
♖♘♗♔♕♗♘♖
Male

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Flag
Re: Macrolepiota procera Mycelium Growth, First Attempt [Re: Terry M]
    #17498806 - 01/04/13 09:53 PM (7 years, 10 months ago)

Here. I translated the site.

--------------------
My Trade List

Offlinebitepourrie
Mr
Male User Gallery

Loc: Concepcion Tarlac Philipp...
Re: Macrolepiota procera Mycelium Growth, First Attempt [Re: Versicolor]
    #17499370 - 01/04/13 11:41 PM (7 years, 10 months ago)

Terry put google chrome on yr PC and go to the website on google you get and immeagiate translation also www.okok.fccom is interesting

Invisiblesparkle
Farmer
Female User Gallery

Loc: Philippines Flag
Re: Macrolepiota procera Mycelium Growth, First Attempt [Re: bitepourrie]
    #17500596 - 01/05/13 07:59 AM (7 years, 10 months ago)

Yet another Chinese vid. Sorry guys but it's interesting.
Procera  or Agasicus that lacks FAE :smile:

Offlineblowng
malkman

#23643462 - 09/14/16 01:48 AM (4 years, 2 months ago)

why do these threads never have an outcome ... this whole site needs cleaning up, I search and search nothing but dead end threads , sad

--------------------
Love of a Silent Moon

Jump to top. Pages: 1 | 2  [ show all ]

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract, Kratom Powder For Sale   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds, Bulk Cannabis Seeds, Feminized Cannabis Seeds, High THC Strains, USA West Coast Strains   North Spore Bulk Substrate, Injection Grain Bag, North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Amazon ½ Pint Jars, Agar, Hot Plate, Pressure Cooker, Vermiculite, Wild Bird Seed

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Gourmet and Medicinal Mushrooms