Home | Community | Message Board

Avalon Magic Plants
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflineLostMetropolis
A Stranger AmongStrangers

Loc: In The Machine
Where are my pins?
    #1739584 - 07/22/03 10:22 PM (13 years, 4 months ago)

With a casing, what is it supposed to looke like usually before it has pins? Are there supposed to be what looks like little nuggets of casing material forming. That's about the only thing I have noticed on casings of mine, er, I mean  casings of my father's sister's nephew's second cousin's imaginary friend.  :cool:

Basically, is there a way to tell if it is about to pin or if I'm just wasting my time waiting. i'm not impatient or anything, I've waited over 3 months just to even get this far so another couple weeks isn't going to hurt. Just curious as to if it's going to work in the end.  :confused:

That's all,
peace,
LM

--------------------
"Not All Who Wander Are Lost" - Tolkien

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflinePsilocybin_monkey
Shroomer

Loc: Dragon's Den
Re: Where are my pins? [Re: LostMetropolis]
    #1740235 - 07/23/03 02:34 AM (13 years, 4 months ago)

well if the mycelium starts to pin it will form "hyphal knots" and what these are and look like are little clusters of mycelia growth to form what looks like a knot or a ball of mycelium that grows on the surface and latter on become a pinhead.

--------------------
Welcome to my world!

Invisibletripndicular
My Minds Eye IsRhizomorphic

Loc: Bowels of HELL
    #1740833 - 07/23/03 12:31 PM (13 years, 4 months ago)

Try cold shoking the tray for 24 - 36 hours , then put back in chamber , perhaps where you live is a tad to warm kepping the myclium in a growth stage verse a fruiting one .
Good Luck

--------------------
Any information I give is not intended to aide you in the production of potentialy illegal substances !None of my exp comes from growing illegal varities , so take it as you will .
So with that said here is our mission statement .

Then the priest fell into a trance or swoon,& said unto the Queen of heaven ; Write unto us the ordeals; write unto us the rituals; write unto us the law !

InvisibleLiL_KuSsH
Lost In The Trip

Deleted [Re: tripndicular]
    #1740838 - 07/23/03 12:33 PM (13 years, 4 months ago)

Post deleted by administrator

Invisiblesoochi
Chef
 User Gallery

Loc: The Richest County
    #1740901 - 07/23/03 01:13 PM (13 years, 4 months ago)

lower your humidity. Fan, fan, fan.

Has the casing surface colonized? If it looks tough and matted then it could be overlay (3 months??) The surface of the casing shouldn't be colonized, only the layer below(It won't be perfect, try patch casing next time or leave it in the incubater a little longer.) before pinnage there are usually little spikes of mycelium that poke out around the perimeter of the casing container and/or the mycelium coming through the sides and attatching to the container sides (sort of like a web or root system.), you'll also see the mycelium just begin to come up through the casing layer, this is the time to induce fruiting.

Also make sure that there aren't any contams (give it a smell) or the casing isn't waterlogged/oversaturated or bone dry and hard.

--------------------
Wee, sleeket, cowran, tim'rous beastie,
O, what panic's in thy breastie!
Thou need na start awa sae hasty,
Wi' bickering brattle!

OfflineLostMetropolis

Re: Where are my pins? [Re: soochi]
    #1742508 - 07/23/03 09:51 PM (13 years, 4 months ago)

There are a couple "hyphal knots" I see. They are like clumps of mycellium on the surface right? They are all along the sides. That and mycellium can be seen in a couple places coming up from beneath the surface, but the surface itself is not colonized. There isnt anything coming up in the middle of the casing. Is this normal?

Patch cased already a couple days before initated pinning.
Cold shocked her already not too long ago. For about 6 hours. Perhaps I should do it again for longer?

I fan more than anything. The terrarium sits under a window air conditioner (the only way to keep the temperatures somewhat low in the florida heat) so often I will fan it out completely, then leave the top off a bit so the air is constantly moving.

Really, I think it isnt moist enough. The terrarium has a lot of humidity. My hydrometer broke so I'm just guessing, but I'm sure it is 100% at the least. There is water everywhere inside the terrarium. However, the casing layer looks and feels extremely dried out. I didn't know if I should mist it or what as the humidity is high in the terrarium already and I wouldn't want to kill any mycellium on the casing layer by misting it.

Oh and 3 months was when I first started cultivating, and I hit a dead end each time increasingly progressing further only on future attempts. So it's been a long time coming, but the casing itself is only 46 days old, not 3 months.

Thanks
peace out

--------------------

Offlineshakta
Infidel
    #1742515 - 07/23/03 09:54 PM (13 years, 4 months ago)

You need to mist that puppy.

Invisiblesoochi
Chef
 User Gallery

#1745676 - 07/24/03 08:42 PM (13 years, 4 months ago)

misting should be constant and consistant.Ideally, you want the casing to hold the maximum amount of moisture (without turning into mud) before the first pins come up.

mist the surface carefully, don't mist the pins or knots, make sure you use diluted H202. If it looks REALLY dry, then you can "water" your casing, I do this inbetween flushes when the casing gets dried out. I pour some water down the side of the container, try to pick a place where there's no knots, pins or mycelium, DON'T over do it though, a good glug is sufficient, then just mist the surface lightly when the surface looks dried out.

--------------------
Wi' bickering brattle!

OfflineLostMetropolis

Re: Where are my pins? [Re: soochi]
    #1753754 - 07/27/03 08:11 PM (13 years, 4 months ago)

Alright, it was pretty dried out so I watered it a bit where there wasnt any mycelium coming up in the middle. And I tried cold shocking it again for a longer time a couple of days ago. Still, no pins. It's been 17 days, should I start to worry?  :crazy:

--------------------

Invisiblesoochi
Chef
 User Gallery

#1753909 - 07/27/03 09:28 PM (13 years, 4 months ago)

Stop cold shocking. Be patient, cultivation is a slow and tedious process. just maintain the correct temp, rh and supress contams as much as possible, they want to grow as badly as you want them to.

BE PATIENT!!!

and that goes for all Newbies!

--------------------
Wi' bickering brattle!

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation