Home | Community | Message Board

Original Seeds Store
Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract, Kratom Powder For Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds, Bulk Cannabis Seeds, Feminized Cannabis Seeds, High THC Strains, USA West Coast Strains   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
InvisibleTomJoad
Goddamn Red
Male User Gallery

Loc: Oregon
today's findings and ID request
    #1739244 - 07/23/03 03:42 AM (19 years, 4 months ago)

on my foray today i found:

Lobster mushrooms (Hypomyces lactifluorum growing on what looks to be Russula xerampelina or R. emetica)

Faun mushrooms (Pluteus cervinus)

and a polypore that stumped me (no pun intended--it was, in fact, growing on a stump) perhaps you guys can help. I found it growing on a partially buried stump (most likely sycamore or cottonwood, possibly maple or willow, judging by surrounding trees) in a pile of decaying leaves and sycamore bark. There were actually two shelf-like caps growing right next to each other, fused together. The radius of the caps was about 2.5 in. the center of the caps was elevated and what i would describe as "lumpy", w/ little warty dark spots (which i hypothesized might be cottonwood seeds that somehow got stuck in it...?) the cap slopes down, out from the center, then slopes back up a bit to meet with the rounded white margin. There are differences in color on the cap, over all it is several shades of a smoky brown color, in rings much like the cross-section of a tree trunk. The rings are more noticeable toward the margin. The underside, which slopes gently down from the margin to the stump and is white, and velvety smooth, bruising a similar smoky grey-brown to the color of the cap. The spores seem to be a darker brown, like cocoa powder. that's about all i know, no pics, sorry. Any theories?

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineToxicManM
Bite me, it's fun!
 User Gallery

Loc: Aurora, Colorado
Trusted Identifier
Re: today's findings and ID request [Re: TomJoad]
    #1739786 - 07/23/03 06:22 AM (19 years, 4 months ago)

If the pores on the underside bruise when scratched my first guess would be Ganoderma applanatum, the Artists Conk.

Happy mushrooming!

--------------------
Happy mushrooming!

Offlinedoo
addict -crazy as a shithouse rat
 User Gallery

Loc: Slingshit, China
Re: today's findings and ID request [Re: ToxicMan]
    #1739812 - 07/23/03 06:36 AM (19 years, 4 months ago)

That would be cool if you did indeed find an Artist's Conk. You can supposedly draw pictures on the underside using a sharp stick, and the picture will stay, and not fade. :cool:

doo 

--------------------
- Arguing with a woman, is like trying to blow out a light bulb-

Offlinecanid
irregular meat sprocket
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: looking for zeebras, n. c...
Trusted Identifier
Re: today's findings and ID request [Re: doo]
    #1739997 - 07/23/03 07:40 AM (19 years, 4 months ago)

anecdotaly; you can also use them to make a verry good dark ink...

[edit: i'm a little drunk and it caught my attention that the word "anecdotaly" looked odd. i checked my dictionary and it would seem that the correct word it "anecdoticaly", which looks even more odd...]

--------------------

Attn PWN hunters: If you should come across a bluing Psilocybe matching P. pellicolusa please smell it.
If you detect a scent reminiscent of Anethole (anise) please preserve a specimen or two for study and please PM me.

Edited by concretefeet (07/23/03 07:45 AM)

InvisibleTomJoad
Goddamn Red
Male User Gallery

Re: today's findings and ID request [Re: doo]
    #1739999 - 07/23/03 07:42 AM (19 years, 4 months ago)

thank you toxicman, i had a feeling you could help. I'm pretty sure it is the artists conk. The color in the pic in my field guide seems a tiny bit off (but it says the color is variable), but the description fits perfectly. When I checked for bruising, the pore surface registered a perfect fingerprint, good enough to identify me by, i imagine... i need to go grab this thing tomorrow and draw on it. Any suggestions for artistic content?

Offlinecanid
irregular meat sprocket
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: looking for zeebras, n. c...
Trusted Identifier
Re: today's findings and ID request [Re: TomJoad]
    #1740005 - 07/23/03 07:46 AM (19 years, 4 months ago)

a fractal image of some kind.

--------------------

Attn PWN hunters: If you should come across a bluing Psilocybe matching P. pellicolusa please smell it.
If you detect a scent reminiscent of Anethole (anise) please preserve a specimen or two for study and please PM me.

InvisibleTomJoad
Goddamn Red
Male User Gallery

Re: today's findings and ID request [Re: canid]
    #1740150 - 07/23/03 08:50 AM (19 years, 4 months ago)

anecdotaly sounded good to me. anecdoticaly is pure madness.

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract, Kratom Powder For Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds, Bulk Cannabis Seeds, Feminized Cannabis Seeds, High THC Strains, USA West Coast Strains   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies