Home | Community | Message Board

Myco Supply
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Original Seeds Store buy cannabis seeds, Buy CBD   Amazon ½ Pint Jars, Paul Stamets, Ultrasonic Humidifier

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflineGrandpa
Oh, my achingback

Loc: Springfield
A bulk idea needs a bit of elaboration.
    #1738961 - 07/22/03 07:06 PM (14 years, 4 months ago)

The idea is to create a contained bulk grow.
AFOAF plans on using 2 quarts of substrate and about 5-10quarts of pastuerized straw per bin. Casing with 50/50+.The bins are about 2 ft x 2ft x 2ft.  We want to have the lids opaque and closed during much of the grow, so we want to install a light in the top of the bin.

We have some problems we need to solve though:

--How do we install the light? Its fine if we have a plug coming out of the bin, but we'd prefer a battery alternative. How long would the light need to be on as well? We need to keep it high enough above the casing that it won't touch mushrooms that are growing. If batteries are used, we want to elongate the battery life as much as possible as to save money.
--Is it possible to cheaply provide for air exchange in the enclosed tank as well? We don't really want to mess around with drilling holes and cutting out pieces of plastic  :wink:

Thanks
-Grandpa 

--------------------
I don't intend for this to take on a political tone. I'm just here for the drugs.
--Nancy Reagan, former First Lady

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Offlineshirley knott
not my real name
 User Gallery
Loc: London Flag
Trusted Cultivator
Re: A bulk idea needs a bit of elaboration. [Re: Grandpa]
    #1738980 - 07/22/03 07:17 PM (14 years, 4 months ago)

where does the 4-8dry oz, and the 1-2lb fit in? what is that, a predicted yield?

is this your first go? if yes, you need to think smaller first time round. makes it a lot easier to avoid simple pitfalls.

good luck :laugh:

a fishtank airpump makes a bit of a hum, but it could pipe in some air for you. and don't worry about the light till you have the jars at 100% colonised.

:kiss: 

--------------------
buh

OfflineGrandpa
Oh, my achingback

Loc: Springfield
Re: A bulk idea needs a bit of elaboration. [Re: shirley knott]
    #1739133 - 07/22/03 08:07 PM (14 years, 4 months ago)

Oh, it's not a first time shirl.

My names grandpa for a reason :wink:

--------------------
I don't intend for this to take on a political tone. I'm just here for the drugs.
--Nancy Reagan, former First Lady

Offlineshirley knott
not my real name
 User Gallery
Loc: London Flag
Trusted Cultivator
    #1739162 - 07/22/03 08:15 PM (14 years, 4 months ago)

oops

--------------------
buh

Offlinebonghittr
Stranger
 User Gallery
    #1739263 - 07/22/03 08:46 PM (14 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

Grandpa said:

--How do we install the light? Its fine if we have a plug coming out of the bin, but we'd prefer a battery alternative. How long would the light need to be on as well? We need to keep it high enough above the casing that it won't touch mushrooms that are growing. If batteries are used, we want to elongate the battery life as much as possible as to save money.

Try those real cheap tap lights they sell for mounting in your closet.

bong-

Invisiblecalicyco
Re: A bulk idea needs a bit of elaboration. [Re: shirley knott]
    #1739270 - 07/22/03 08:47 PM (14 years, 4 months ago)

You dont need much light. Do you have the Mushroom Cultivator by Stamets? He mentions in there that in some tests, mushrooms needed very short bursts of light, like milliseconds, to trigger cropping. You could use a little water proof light bulb on a battery with a little button/switch outside that you could flick on. You need to worry about air exchange though. Basically, if you are fanning them, they are getting enough light simply because you can see them. If you have some automated air exchange, then give them a few minutes light every few hours and you are good. Maybe 5 minutes light / 6 hours? Not sure, it isn't much though. They do not use light as an energy source, just as a trigger.

You need to vent external air into the boxes, and let the air inside out. You either have to open the lid and fan them, or build some kind of automated setup using a humidifier or a fan perhaps. You need to vent fresh air into the chamber probably once per hour is good enough, so complete air exchange once per hour. Stamets suggests 3-5 exchanges per hour but you can have humidity problems with that. You can use a cool mist humidifer and have it constantly running into 4 chambers, that will work and provide a little humidity to replace what is lost. Search around on the boards here, all your questions are answered by others in many many threads. Be sure to have a hole drilled to let the air out as well, just above where the top of the substrate is (co2 is heavier than oxygen.)

By the way, if this isn't your first rodeo, then I'm not sure why you are asking these questions :-) These are mushrooms 101 questions for sure. If you haven't already dealt with these issues, you probably haven't done much bulk growing, which means you are asking for failure by trying to get too trick with it. Sounds like a commercial grow to me, you read about plans like this all the time around here. Anywho, just my two cents, hope you find the answers you are looking for!

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Shop: Original Seeds Store buy cannabis seeds, Buy CBD   Amazon ½ Pint Jars, Paul Stamets, Ultrasonic Humidifier

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation