Home | Community | Message Board

Out-Grow.com - Mushroom Growing Kits & Supplies
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
OfflineOZA
When the going gets weird.....
 User Gallery

What's the actual point of a college fraternity?
    #17376244 - 12/11/12 06:47 PM (11 years, 4 months ago)

I have friends in a couple, yet I still don't really get them. Their official description screams bullshit, and my friends' description is pretty much party 24/7.
Is it the latter, or is there a real reason to join a frat that I'm missing?

--------------------
The happiness consists in realizing that it is all a great strange dream.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineHemlock

Folding@home Statistics
Re: What's the actual point of a college fraternity? [Re: OZA]
    #17376279 - 12/11/12 06:54 PM (11 years, 4 months ago)

Dude, it's called a fraternity, the purpose is brotherhood. Be that in the form of parties, raucous sex, drugs, violence, or whatever the official literature stated. The point of a fraternity is to gain social connection, and people of this era tend to think of that as ridiculous celebration. Just flow with it. Either be in one or don't, it really doesn't matter in the end.

Your life will be filled with love.

Invisiblelar20
Strange guy in a park
Male User Gallery

Loc: massachusetts
Re: What's the actual point of a college fraternity? [Re: Hemlock]
    #17376285 - 12/11/12 06:55 PM (11 years, 4 months ago)

People can get some damn good connections after college because they were in a fraternity. but its complete bullshit imo.

--------------------

InvisibleJoieDeVivre
Hippie Babysitter
Female User Gallery

Loc: Gamehenge
    #17376297 - 12/11/12 06:58 PM (11 years, 4 months ago)

The point is to have a built in network of friends that you don't have to earn. :shrug: Also to get drunk and get bitches drunk so you can fuck them.

My boyfriend's roomate joined a frat last year and we watched the whole saga. He loved it because he was very social and a huge partier but he fully believed that the purpose was to turn all guys into boat shoe wearing douchebags. :lol: He constantly assured us he'd turn into a douche by the time he was a brother but overall he stayed a great guy, IMO.

--------------------
Sapere aude

"We cannot live for ourselves alone. Our lives are connected by a thousand invisible threads, and along these sympathetic fibers, our actions run as causes and return to us as results."

UBUNTU- I am because we are.

Invisibletdubz
Male User Gallery

#17376311 - 12/11/12 07:00 PM (11 years, 4 months ago)

social networking, friends, women, career opportunities

Offlinephaded
Wu Li

Re: What's the actual point of a college fraternity? [Re: Hemlock]
    #17376329 - 12/11/12 07:03 PM (11 years, 4 months ago)

Ok. I'm in a fraternity. Think what you want, I don't care. Yes, it is 90% partying. The benefits of a fraternity are the brotherhood, social, and network connections.

You can say bullshit about the "brotherhood" all you want, but the fact is that if you decide to join a fraternity, you join the one that you connect with the most. The one that you could see yourself being friends with. If you get rushed by a fraternity you don't like, then don't fucking pledge. Go find the fraternity that is best suited for you. No need in doing anything you don't like.

The networking connections are great. Let's say that you joined a fraternity, and you find out one of the older brother's dad has a degree in construction management and also owns his own company. Well you just happen to be a construction management major. You're more likely to get hired on a company like that simply for the fact that you are in the fraternity. And yes, sometimes people get hired because they are greek rather than for the qualifications. That's fine with me. That is why I made the decision to join.

OfflineJimLahey
Trailer Park Supervisor
Male

Loc: Sunnyvale Trailer Park, C...
Re: What's the actual point of a college fraternity? [Re: phaded]
    #17376337 - 12/11/12 07:05 PM (11 years, 4 months ago)

Sex, friends, job prospecting... all via networking. Also its an excuse to be a d bag

--------------------
"Why don't you get a life, Rick? Why don't you go to community college like Julian here? Hey! I got a good idea! You could teach Living In A Car and Growing Dope 101"

Offlinephaded
Wu Li

Re: What's the actual point of a college fraternity? [Re: JoieDeVivre]
    #17376357 - 12/11/12 07:07 PM (11 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

JoieDeVivre said:
The point is to have a built in network of friends that you don't have to earn. :shrug: Also to get drunk and get bitches drunk so you can fuck them.

That's bullshit. You don't join a fraternity to "buy friends". You join the fraternity THAT YOU CONNECT WITH THE MOST. Just the same way you connect with your group of friends, except I have 50 of them I can call at any moment of the day and ask them for any kind of help.

And yeah, we throw parties, get blackout drunk, and fuck bitches that we don't remember their names the next morning. But at the end of my college career I'm pretty much guaranteed a quality job with solid money.

Invisiblemillzy
Male

Re: What's the actual point of a college fraternity? [Re: tdubz]
    #17376361 - 12/11/12 07:09 PM (11 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

tdubz said:
social networking, friends, women, career opportunities

for a price.

i don't really have anything against them. overall they're douchey but i had a close friend in one in my late teens/early 20's when he was in school. we had a lot of fun kicking it and stuff, but he figured out it was just kind of a superficial, silly world to live in and transferred out of state the following semester.

but like, as an adult if i come across someone who's my age and is still all hard core, whoa that's tragic.

--------------------
I'm up to my ears in unwritten words. - J.D. Salinger

OfflineOZA
When the going gets weird.....
 User Gallery

Re: What's the actual point of a college fraternity? [Re: millzy]
    #17376367 - 12/11/12 07:10 PM (11 years, 4 months ago)

Okay got it

--------------------
The happiness consists in realizing that it is all a great strange dream.

InvisibleJoieDeVivre
Hippie Babysitter
Female User Gallery

Loc: Gamehenge
    #17376389 - 12/11/12 07:14 PM (11 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

phaded said:
That's bullshit. You don't join a fraternity to "buy friends". You join the fraternity THAT YOU CONNECT WITH THE MOST. Just the same way you connect with your group of friends, except I have 50 of them I can call at any moment of the day and ask them for any kind of help.

I never said you buy friends, I say you go to join a frat and if you're chosen you automatically have friends. It's a lot different than going out and approaching a group of people you don't know who may or may not like you and may not even want a new friend. I'm not saying it's a negative thing but I don't think you can deny that joining a frat is a much easier way to make friends than trying to find friends elsewhere.

Quote:

But at the end of my college career I'm pretty much guaranteed a quality job with solid money.

Me too, but not just because of the letters associated with a group I joined to party. :smirk:

I'm mostly just pulling your leg, man. Don't take it so personally. Some frat guys are really great people and being a frat doesn't automatically mean anything negative about who you are, that's why I mentioned my boyfriend's roomate.

--------------------
Sapere aude

"We cannot live for ourselves alone. Our lives are connected by a thousand invisible threads, and along these sympathetic fibers, our actions run as causes and return to us as results."

UBUNTU- I am because we are.

Offlinempd
Lammen Gorthaur
Male User Gallery

Loc: Mostly at home... Mostly....
    #17376508 - 12/11/12 07:35 PM (11 years, 4 months ago)

To make friends who will help you further your career and business goals.  Three of my kids joined fraternities and the fraternities played an important role in their post-college lives.  If you can afford it do it!

--------------------
There is no truer calling for mankind than that of true conservatism.

InvisibleGilgamesh18
Herbivore Man

Re: What's the actual point of a college fraternity? [Re: mpd]
    #17376577 - 12/11/12 07:47 PM (11 years, 4 months ago)

I can't afford to destroy my liver with cheap beer and loose women.

--------------------

OfflineSoreSpore
Loc: Halfway there...
    #17376584 - 12/11/12 07:49 PM (11 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

phaded said:
And yeah, we throw parties, get blackout drunk, and fuck bitches that get butt fucked by our bigs but we don't remember the next morning.

:scumbagsteve:

Does your fraternity rape passed out women too?

Offlinephaded
Wu Li

#17376588 - 12/11/12 07:49 PM (11 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

JoieDeVivre said:
I never said you buy friends, I say you go to join a frat and if you're chosen you automatically have friends. It's a lot different than going out and approaching a group of people you don't know who may or may not like you and may not even want a new friend. I'm not saying it's a negative thing but I don't think you can deny that joining a frat is a much easier way to make friends than trying to find friends elsewhere.

Sorry, about jumping the gun. You don't automatically have friends. That is what pledging is for. Pledging isn't just about getting hazed to prove you're worthy to be in. It is about getting to know everyone in the active chapter so that you DO become friends. During my pledge semester we were required to get "interviews" with all the brothers. Basically you sit down for as long as needed and ask the brother questions and get to know him. Yeah, getting new friends shouldn't be that formal, but that comes with the fraternity.

If you're pledging and you don't like the people in the active chapter, the just simply quit. It goes the other way as well, if the brothers don't like you, you're gonna get blackballed. I can understand how people would consider that ridiculous, and in ways it is, but if you decide to pledge the right fraternity for you then it is golden.

I know that if you (not YOU per se, just a non-greek) think of a dude in a fraternity, you think they only hang it with their brothers, and for the most part, especially at bigger schools, you'd be right. But the way I look at it, I approached a group of guys that I didn't know, got to know them, and now we are friends. I did that with the fraternity, and with a lot of people on campus. Now, the fraternity has a process to become a brother, and non-greek friendships don't, but with all the benefits you get out of the fraternity I believe its worth it.

Quote:

Me too, but not just because of the letters associated with a group I joined to party. :smirk:

I'm mostly just pulling your leg, man. Don't take it so personally. Some frat guys are really great people and being a frat doesn't automatically mean anything negative about who you are, that's why I mentioned my boyfriend's roomate.

But, say you're looking for a job at a company, and a greek is trying to get that same job. It just so happens that the boss is a member of the same fraternity. The greek is more likely to get the job despite your qualifications. Yeah, it sucks, but I'd rather be the guy that gets hired because of his greek affiliation rather than let the job go to someone more qualified.

Also, I'm not taking it personally, I just know what the general population thinks about greeks, and while most assumptions have some amount of truth to them, there are always rumors (just like with anything) that people fully believe without actually looking into what it is actually about.

Offlinephaded
Wu Li

Re: What's the actual point of a college fraternity? [Re: SoreSpore]
    #17376642 - 12/11/12 08:00 PM (11 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

SoreSpore said:
Quote:

phaded said:
And yeah, we throw parties, get blackout drunk, and fuck bitches that get butt fucked by our bigs but we don't remember the next morning.

:scumbagsteve:

Does your fraternity rape passed out women too?

The term "bigs" and "littles" is for sorostitutes. Not guys in a fraternity.

I was being a little facetious with that statement, but it's funny that you'd ask if we rape passed out girls. Wanna know what happens at one of the partys out my school (I go to a small engineering school that has about 500 greek students out of 6000 that go to the school)? There is the blackout drunken stupor, but if some girl is passed out in our house then we find someone she knows to get her the fuck out. No roofies and no rape in my house. Yeah, it happens at larger schools with a stronger, more present greek life, but even at big schools it MIGHT happen at one fraternity on campus (when there could be 15-25) once a year. 

You sound a little bitter... You didn't get a bid did you?

Offlinech1ck3n.s0up
Troubled Loner
Male User Gallery

Loc: Hunting Fungi
    #17376644 - 12/11/12 08:00 PM (11 years, 4 months ago)

Every frat has a different personality. That's why you "rush," to see in what house you fit.

I was a big drinker/beer pong player in college, and so I pledged so that the older brothers could buy beer for me :shrug: We had a common interest, which was to get fucked and get fucked up.

One house was all about herb. They had a grow in the third level of the house, which was found and they were kicked off campus.

Another house was gay. Their common interest was taking a dick up the ass, or munching a carpet.

Another house was all about fighting.

Another dorkier house was about grades. Their big selling point was that they had carefully maintained file cabinets full of exams for the last ten years. They would even pay people $100 to get specific exams. At a big college the teachers would often give the same exam for their class.

You also get an immediate crew to hang with.

--------------------

"Inspiration ~ Move me brightly ~ light the song with sense and color ~ hold away despair ~ more than this I will not ask ~ faced with mysteries dark and vast ~ statements just seem vain at last" --Jerry Garcia, Terrapin Station

"Officer, I'm going to remain silent, and I would like to speak with a lawyer. I'm not resisting, but I don't consent to any searches.

OfflineSoreSpore
Loc: Halfway there...
ASK A FRAT GUY [Re: phaded]
    #17376829 - 12/11/12 08:29 PM (11 years, 4 months ago)

did you ever have to do any homosexual acts to get in?

OfflineVicker
drunken fool
Male User Gallery

Loc: DrocnoC CA
Re: ASK A FRAT GUY [Re: SoreSpore]
    #17376832 - 12/11/12 08:29 PM (11 years, 4 months ago)

There is no point at all

OfflineGargamelon
Stranger

Re: ASK A FRAT GUY [Re: Vicker]
    #17377207 - 12/11/12 09:30 PM (11 years, 4 months ago)

i was in one. everyones overthinking it. it's just another type of community, like juggalos, jam band fans, or members of this forum. fraternities are basically a community for 18-22 year old (mostly white) males who bond over getting fucked up.

of course like any community they dress it up with rituals and traditions and a bunch of shit that seems meaningless to anyone outside the community. it's a bit silly, but most things are.

overall i really wasn't a fan of fraternity culture. but then it all depends chapter to chapter. i will say that a lot of the kids i met were basically nerds in high school who when they hit college tried to overcompensate. thus they embraced the whole frat life thing WAY WAY too much and became walking caricatures. (you know the type... white boys in polos and sperry's and their letters on a baseball hat).

also the whole power structure thing is completely retarded. saw some truly terrible shit done to pledges. herd mentality and blah blah blah, it can be fun but there's a lot of conformity and negative shit tied in with it. don't bother you can get drunk elsewhere

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder