Home | Community | Message Board

MushroomCube.com
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order

Jump to first unread post Pages: < Back | 1 | 2  [ show all ]
Offlinesonamdrukpa
Wayfarer

Re: Athletes in MMA vs. other sports [Re: badchad]
    #17374927 - 12/11/12 03:10 PM (11 years, 3 months ago)

It may not be a good metaphor.  I think the general idea is still fun to kick around though.

--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineJordy
Death Metal Bass Extraordinaire
Male

Re: Athletes in MMA vs. other sports [Re: Maharishi_2_U]
    #17380705 - 12/12/12 03:32 PM (11 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

Maharishi_2_U said:
MMA = Violence
Violence = Lack of intelligence

Yet there are some pretty intelligent guys who fight; Rich Franklin was a former high school teacher and a UFC champion, Shane Carwin is a man-mountain and is also a fully qualified mine engineer, Frank Mir is one of the most well-spoken people you would ever meet. You'd be surprised how many people who are pro MMA fighters are also smart, respectful people. Even religious in many cases.

I used to have the exact same opinion of it until I saw The Ultimate Fighter and watched what these guys go through to compete in the sport. It's far evolved from the 'human cock-fighting' that it was known as to being a fully fledged sport that's taking the world by storm. Just because you don't understand the sport, doesn't mean that anyone who watches or participates in it has a lack of intelligence.

As far as the level of athleticism in the UFC being lower than other sports, I don't entirely agree with that either. We've seen former pro NFL players come across to the UFC and they haven't exactly cleared out their division. With the nature of the sport where anything can happen and guys getting cut from promotions after only a couple of losses, we may be seeing amazing athletic talent pass right on through the mainstream without really even recognizing it. MMA is a lot more cut-throat than NBA/NFL in that regard.

OfflineLiquidSmoke
My title's cooler than yours DBK

Loc: S.A.G.G.Y.B.A.L.L.S.
Re: Athletes in MMA vs. other sports [Re: sonamdrukpa]
    #17380808 - 12/12/12 03:54 PM (11 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

sonamdrukpa said:

Both sports have pretty steep and long learning curves, but you can still make comparisons on basic athletic ability, the same way you can say your average mathematics professor is in a broad sense smarter than your average philosophy professor even though they're masters in different domains.  But put it this way: NFL players may have fared poorly.  But would you expect an MMA fighter to make an NFL roster?  Jon Jones, for instance, has two brothers in the NFL, and there's pretty much no one with a similar athletic pedigree below him.  The tip-top of the UFC is first-string NFL player, everyone else is...

I wouldn't say "everyone else".  There's alot of MMA fighters who are amazing athletes to begin with.

You mentioned how MMA athletes aren't of olympic pedigree, but that's just false.

Alot of MMA fighters were former olympians and medalists in wrestling.  I will agree though, that Jon Jones is a beast.

--------------------
"Shmokin' weed, Shmokin' wizz, doin' coke, drinkin' beers.  Drinkin' beers beers beers, rollin' fatties, smokin' blunts.  Who smokes tha blunts?  We smoke the blunts" - Jay and Silent Bob strike Back

OfflineSolo_Dolo

Re: Athletes in MMA vs. other sports [Re: Jordy]
    #17380823 - 12/12/12 03:56 PM (11 years, 3 months ago)

Until Dana White starts paying his fighters top money..they wont get the same athletes as the rest of the sports world.

Just compare what the top boxers make to the top mma guys...its insane.

--------------------
I can beat you to the punch line..or i could punch you to the beat.

OfflineLiquidSmoke

Re: Athletes in MMA vs. other sports [Re: Solo_Dolo]
    #17381037 - 12/12/12 04:37 PM (11 years, 3 months ago)

It's alot better now than what it used to be 5 years ago.

--------------------
"Shmokin' weed, Shmokin' wizz, doin' coke, drinkin' beers.  Drinkin' beers beers beers, rollin' fatties, smokin' blunts.  Who smokes tha blunts?  We smoke the blunts" - Jay and Silent Bob strike Back

OfflineEnjoywho
Rags to Bitches
Male User Gallery

Re: Athletes in MMA vs. other sports [Re: LiquidSmoke]
    #17381881 - 12/12/12 06:56 PM (11 years, 3 months ago)

Guy can't make the highest level of wrestling because he's the best at a different sport.

What kind of idior logic is that.

--------------------
"I don't give nothin' to nobody, I just pay the cost to do business." - Riley "Young Reezy"-Boondocks

"The road to hell is paved with good intentions."

"In the days of kings and queens I was a jester."

"And then the great lord created bears... too many bears... shoulda really dialed back on the bears." Squidbillies

"Can you start speaking words instead of your damn filthy lies!"- Louise "Bobs Burgers"

OfflineLiquidSmoke

Re: Athletes in MMA vs. other sports [Re: Enjoywho]
    #17382448 - 12/12/12 08:27 PM (11 years, 3 months ago)

Exactly

--------------------

InvisibleRepertoire89
Cat
Male User Gallery

Re: Athletes in MMA vs. other sports [Re: LiquidSmoke]
    #17383821 - 12/13/12 12:59 AM (11 years, 3 months ago)

Yeah I don't think it's fair to compare people out of their fields.

Do think Bruce Lee would whoop any of these MMA guys though :wink:

Jump to top Pages: < Back | 1 | 2  [ show all ]

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order