Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Topicals   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineOldHag
Peter Pepper
Female User Gallery

Loc: PNW
PNW ID Request - Psilocybe Pelliculosa?
    #17360893 - 12/09/12 12:55 PM (11 years, 3 months ago)

Habitat:
Where does it grow? PNW in a clearcut, a few years old
Gills:
See pics, some were white though, but mostly in very young specimens

Stem:
cream to reddish, twisty and thick to thin
Cap:
mostly tall, and conical, a couple very large specimens were flat capped. Separable pellicle (neato!), and that gel looking nipple at the top

Spore print color:
Purple brown or brown purple

Bruising:
red mostly on the stem, but some blue bruising visible at the base of a few specimens

Other information:
Smelled like other mushrooms that are active, that stinky smell.

I've never found these before, but with pics and info on here and a few hints from HarryL (shout out, thanks for your great info and advice) I believe I have found the correct mushroom. Thank you google maps as well (if I'm right). Are these they?

--------------------
Mushroom hunting = grownup i-spy

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlinepsylosymonreturns
aka Gym Sporrison
Male

Loc: Mos Eisley,
Re: PNW ID Request - Psilocybe Pelliculosa? [Re: OldHag]
    #17360921 - 12/09/12 01:00 PM (11 years, 3 months ago)

yes they are one of the the conifer psilocybes. either P pelliculosa or P sylvatica or for shits and giggles even maybe P washingtonensis.

that big one is not one though. whats the deal with that one? can you give us gill shots and stuff!? i see obvious blueing!

--------------------

Offlinesuchen
Once and Future Noob
Male User Gallery

Loc: Shangri-la
Trusted Identifier
    #17360981 - 12/09/12 01:11 PM (11 years, 3 months ago)

They are certainly a Psilocybe species in the same section as pelliculosa and therefore psychoactive, but I don't know enough about its other close relatives like P. silvatica and P. washingtonensis to distinguish between them. Nice find!

--------------------
Rod Tulloss said:

The bulb is the bulb.

The volva is the volva.

They have a very long term realtionship, but they’re “just friends.”

OfflineOldHag
Peter Pepper
Female User Gallery

Re: PNW ID Request - Psilocybe Pelliculosa? [Re: suchen]
    #17362077 - 12/09/12 04:02 PM (11 years, 3 months ago)

So I only have dried gill shot pics at this point. The first is of the subject in question, the 2nd is it's friend that was also flat capped, the 3rd is them together, the 5th is a habitat shot of some other one not flat. Wish I had fresh gill shots, but too late now. I can send this out for microscopy if that is necessary. I just want to make sure it isn't poison or something super awesome. Thanks for your help!

--------------------

Offlinepsylosymonreturns
aka Gym Sporrison
Male

#17362660 - 12/09/12 05:13 PM (11 years, 3 months ago)

too bad its dried. you didnt happen to get some spores to drop from those big flat ones did you? the big flat ones are not the same as the pelliculosas i dont think. it looks like the stem is blue as hell but thats because it may be an Entoloma , if the spores were pink then thats what it is. But if the spores were purple brown on those huge flat ones then yes you should send them out for microscopy for sure!

--------------------

OfflineOldHag
Peter Pepper
Female User Gallery

Re: PNW ID Request - Psilocybe Pelliculosa? [Re: psylosymonreturns]
    #17364277 - 12/09/12 09:24 PM (11 years, 3 months ago)

Ok, so I did what I hope is the next best thing. I wet a q-tip, dropped a little water on the gills and then used the q-tip to rub spores off of the rehydrated gills. So the first one is the big flat capped one, the second is it's friend that also had a flat cap, and the third is a control sample from a regular conical shaped cap. I know these are really light, but it's the best I've got right now, and I'm really interested in finding out about this. I also found this when I googled "flat cap pelliculosa" Erowid

--------------------

Offlinecanid
irregular meat sprocket
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: looking for zeebras, n. c...
Trusted Identifier
    #17365229 - 12/10/12 12:53 AM (11 years, 3 months ago)

It's not just the flat expanded cap that sets it apart from what I'm used to finding, but the fact that it's so beefy. In P. pelliculosa I would expect a fruit of those proportions to have a stipe less than half that thick.

Also; in mushrooms where you don't have to worry about fluits from the fleshing staining the swab, the q-tip approach is a good idea. I've used it many times.

--------------------

Attn PWN hunters: If you should come across a bluing Psilocybe matching P. pellicolusa please smell it.
If you detect a scent reminiscent of Anethole (anise) please preserve a specimen or two for study and please PM me.

InvisibleJoust
Mycotographer
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: WA Flag
Trusted Identifier
Re: PNW ID Request - Psilocybe Pelliculosa? [Re: canid]
    #17365235 - 12/10/12 12:56 AM (11 years, 3 months ago)

Mine have had some beefy stalks look here:

:nyan:

--------------------
~~~~~~***Psilocybin Mushrooms***~~~~~~
_________A Practical Guide To Psilocybin Mushrooms_________

:sporedrop:                      "Think about the species, not your scale". -NeoSporen                      :sporedrop:

"Mr. Joust, I see you don't actually partake in the psilocin, but it looks like it may partake in you!" -Gojira

Offlinecanid
irregular meat sprocket
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: looking for zeebras, n. c...
Trusted Identifier
Re: PNW ID Request - Psilocybe Pelliculosa? [Re: Joust]
    #17365246 - 12/10/12 01:00 AM (11 years, 3 months ago)

Fair enough. In looking through my old pictures I see that I found the odd fatty too.

--------------------

Attn PWN hunters: If you should come across a bluing Psilocybe matching P. pellicolusa please smell it.
If you detect a scent reminiscent of Anethole (anise) please preserve a specimen or two for study and please PM me.

Offlinepsylosymonreturns
aka Gym Sporrison
Male

Re: PNW ID Request - Psilocybe Pelliculosa? [Re: canid]
    #17366157 - 12/10/12 08:41 AM (11 years, 3 months ago)

Ya but his has a super thick white heavenly blueing stipe. Not the classic brownish fibrilous stipe we see on pellies.jousts don't look even close IMO.

--------------------

OfflineOldHag
Peter Pepper
Female User Gallery

Re: PNW ID Request - Psilocybe Pelliculosa? [Re: psylosymonreturns]
    #17366915 - 12/10/12 11:09 AM (11 years, 3 months ago)

Mine's stem isn't white, I think Joust's stems look similar, maybe his are a little hairier cause mine have been handled. I think the stem on mine is a little longer as well, but that may be mine was a more mature fruit?

--------------------

InvisibleJoust
Mycotographer
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: WA Flag
Trusted Identifier
    #17367585 - 12/10/12 01:04 PM (11 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

OldHag said:
Mine's stem isn't white, I think Joust's stems look similar, maybe his are a little hairier cause mine have been handled. I think the stem on mine is a little longer as well, but that may be mine was a more mature fruit?

Psilocybe sec. semilanceatea arevery variable in size and shape, I have found very thick pellies and very thin ones in the same patch. Also white and non-white stems. I believe that yours are sec. semilanceatea, if i had to guess with out a microscopy, Psilocybe pelliculosa.
Given the size and thickness the bluing makes sense, My collections that have larger fruits bruise more than the thinner ones. Given that these are massive the bluing is within the limits. Also if im not mistaken Neosporens P. washingtonesis Blued nicely too, those were quite large.
:nyan:

--------------------
~~~~~~***Psilocybin Mushrooms***~~~~~~
_________A Practical Guide To Psilocybin Mushrooms_________

:sporedrop:                      "Think about the species, not your scale". -NeoSporen                      :sporedrop:

"Mr. Joust, I see you don't actually partake in the psilocin, but it looks like it may partake in you!" -Gojira

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Topicals   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale