Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck, Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | Next >  [ show all ]
OfflineGuruBushHippie
MountainMan
Male

Loc: USA Flag
I 'm gonna go squatchin'
    #17362543 - 12/09/12 04:59 PM (11 years, 3 months ago)

I'm not totally convinced either way. I've had too many experiences. I wanna try and go out to Pisgah periodically from now until spring, then take a few solo trips out once I get to the BWCA. That's where the bulk of my encounters were.

Has anyone done this or know how to go about it?

--------------------
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I cut straight through the forest, and that has made all the difference.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineHungry Raptor
Fossilized

Loc: Deep South
Re: I 'm gonna go squatchin' [Re: GuruBushHippie]
    #17363743 - 12/09/12 08:02 PM (11 years, 3 months ago)

I would not take beef jerky with you.  From my understanding it makes you quite brazen in your squatch encounters, and playing jokes on a squatch never ends well.

--------------------
“Any system which says, This is a rotten world, wait for the next, give up, do nothing, succumb--that may be the basic Lie and if we participate in believing it and acting (or rather not acting) on it then we involve ourselves in the Lie and suffer dreadfully... which only reinforces that particular Lie.”
― Philip K. Dick

OfflineGuruBushHippie
MountainMan
Male

Re: I 'm gonna go squatchin' [Re: Hungry Raptor]
    #17363847 - 12/09/12 08:17 PM (11 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

Hungry Raptor said:
I would not take beef jerky with you.  From my understanding it makes you quite brazen in your squatch encounters, and playing jokes on a squatch never ends well.

What is this, amateur hour? Everybody knows Jack Links is critical to a successful hunt.

--------------------
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I cut straight through the forest, and that has made all the difference.

OfflineHungry Raptor
Fossilized

#17363859 - 12/09/12 08:19 PM (11 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

GuruBushHippie said:
Quote:

Hungry Raptor said:

What is this, amateur hour? Everybody knows Jack Links is critical to a successful hunt.

Very true.  Those guys always seem to find a squatch...

--------------------
“Any system which says, This is a rotten world, wait for the next, give up, do nothing, succumb--that may be the basic Lie and if we participate in believing it and acting (or rather not acting) on it then we involve ourselves in the Lie and suffer dreadfully... which only reinforces that particular Lie.”
― Philip K. Dick

InvisibleSheikCorp
Stranger

#17365496 - 12/10/12 02:39 AM (11 years, 3 months ago)

its getting squatchy in here

InvisibleLittleDipster
 User Gallery

#17365502 - 12/10/12 02:44 AM (11 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

GuruBushHippie said:
I'm not totally convinced either way. I've had too many experiences. I wanna try and go out to Pisgah periodically from now until spring, then take a few solo trips out once I get to the BWCA. That's where the bulk of my encounters were.

what strange encounters have you had?

OfflineGuruBushHippie
MountainMan
Male

Re: I 'm gonna go squatchin' [Re: LittleDipster] * 1
    #17366285 - 12/10/12 09:12 AM (11 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

LittleDipster said:
Quote:

GuruBushHippie said:

This is from my post in the creepy stories from the outdoors thread:

The following accounts happened within the same 10 day trip on the south arm and main body of Knife Lake in northern MN as well as on Newfound lake. It's a very long section of water for people traveling by canoe (7 miles or so total I would estimate.)

1) On night 5 of the trip we reached the south arm from the lake to the southeast and settled into a campsite near Eddy falls. I was nestled into my hammock for the night with a tarp pulled over me like a blanket in case it were to rain. I was in a deep sleep and it must have been 2 or 3 am since it was still dark and the sun comes up at like 4:30 there. I awoke to the sound of sobbing. It sounded like a woman and it was growing ever closer. then I heard the footsteps coming through the brush and trees toward our campsite. The noise entered the campsite on the side I was sleeping on and before long I could sense that whatever it was was standing right next to my hammock. I flung the tarp off half expecting a scared scout but instead my hand struck a rather solid body that then sprinted off into the dense forest. Startled, I awoke my crew and did a head count only to find that everyone was in their tents asleep. I waved it off as a bear encounter and went back to sleep.

2) The next day we moved to a campsite another 3 miles southwest down the lake and settled in once again. I was out gathering some firewood while the scouts cooked dinner. As I worked through the forest I heard a really strange primal sounding scream that made my muscles tense up and my hair stand on end. I involuntarily produced a strange whooping bark-like vocalization that I've never ever heard come out of my own body. This happened once more immediately after the first one. I was pretty shaken at this point, but stayed strong and calm when I got back to camp as any good guide would do.

3) The following day we decided to do something unconventional and go for a night paddle. We sat around camp all day and relaxed then at around 10:00 pm we left camp and kept heading southwest toward base camp. At about 1:00 am we came to the pinch of land separating Newfound Lake from Moose Lake. Here we had to cross through a relatively narrow passage of shallow water. At it's narrowest it's probably 25 yards from bank to bank. We were exactly at this point when out of the darkness of the right bank comes a flying rock. And I mean a ROCK! This thing was very large to have made it the 15 yards from the bank to right in front of the canoe. Either a world strongman threw that rock or something really big living in the woods did. The rock landed on a flat shoal next to us; a piece of flat-topped granite about a foot under water. The rock was so large it still had a foot sticking out of the water and was too heavy to pick up.

--------------------

OfflineGuruBushHippie
MountainMan
Male

#17366375 - 12/10/12 09:27 AM (11 years, 3 months ago)

I have also had some experiences here in NC, in the the Wilson Creek watershed of Pisgah National.

There have been several time's that I've heard whoops and yip, but two other experiences stand out to me.

One such experience occurred about two years ago. I was camping at the base of Bard Falls because I like the white noise created by swiftly moving water. I woke up and went to retrieve my bear bag which was several hundred yards away. I got to it and someone/something had actually lowered it the way it was supposed to be done. Whatever it was took a pack of hot dogs out, closed the bag up, an left it on the ground. Bears don't do that.

My other experience was only about 6 miles from Bard Falls. I was with a buddy of mine hiking back to camp after an afternoon at Little lost Cove Creek Falls. We were hiking along a ridge at dusk and could barely see down into the valley through the thick bush. From down below we heard a few limbs snap and then a series of splashes like "one, two, one, two" as if it were walking on two feet. They were distinguished steps rather than what it sounds like when a bear walks through water and it's all just one jumbled splashing sound.

--------------------

InvisibleLittleDipster
 User Gallery

#17366694 - 12/10/12 10:31 AM (11 years, 3 months ago)

dude that's some crazy shit!

OfflineGuruBushHippie
MountainMan
Male

Re: I 'm gonna go squatchin' [Re: LittleDipster]
    #17366793 - 12/10/12 10:47 AM (11 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

LittleDipster said:
dude that's some crazy shit!

It'll get your heart pounding, that's for fucking sure.

--------------------

OfflineHungry Raptor
Fossilized

#17367038 - 12/10/12 11:34 AM (11 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

GuruBushHippie said:

2) The next day we moved to a campsite another 3 miles southwest down the lake and settled in once again. I was out gathering some firewood while the scouts cooked dinner. As I worked through the forest I heard a really strange primal sounding scream that made my muscles tense up and my hair stand on end. I involuntarily produced a strange whooping bark-like vocalization that I've never ever heard come out of my own body. This happened once more immediately after the first one. I was pretty shaken at this point, but stayed strong and calm when I got back to camp as any good guide would do.

I grew up in Tennessee on the NC border just outside the Smokey Mountains Park.  We lived way back in the middle of nowhere, and as such, I was very used to "woodsy" stuff.  Every so often, we would hear sounds that seem an awful lot like the "primal sounding screams" you are talking about.  It was truly terrifying.  I knew lots of people that heard similar things, and the local consensus was that it was panthers, however I was never convinced. 

The main thing I remember about these sounds was that my first reaction was always complete terror.  I've often heard bears and other unidentified sounds in the woods and they never caused such a strong emotional reaction in me.

--------------------
― Philip K. Dick

OfflineGuruBushHippie
MountainMan
Male

Re: I 'm gonna go squatchin' [Re: Hungry Raptor]
    #17367268 - 12/10/12 12:19 PM (11 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

Hungry Raptor said:
Quote:

GuruBushHippie said:

I grew up in Tennessee on the NC border just outside the Smokey Mountains Park.  We lived way back in the middle of nowhere, and as such, I was very used to "woodsy" stuff.  Every so often, we would hear sounds that seem an awful lot like the "primal sounding screams" you are talking about.  It was truly terrifying.  I knew lots of people that heard similar things, and the local consensus was that it was panthers, however I was never convinced. 

The main thing I remember about these sounds was that my first reaction was always complete terror.  I've often heard bears and other unidentified sounds in the woods and they never caused such a strong emotional reaction in me.

This was like a really loud WAAAAHHHHH! Each scream lasted about a full second.

--------------------

Invisiblevjp
Canowicakte
 User Gallery

Loc: Ste-ye-hah' mah
    #17368681 - 12/10/12 04:00 PM (11 years, 3 months ago)

I went to wilson creek a couple months ago per your suggestion guru and we had some weird stuff happen but nothing concrete. Weird calls/noises, my buddies dog being bat shit scared, and wood knocking. Also had weird stuff happen near brevard and linville gorge wilderness and the Maine mountains near the AT. 

My best encounter happened at uwharrie national forest though in the birkhead wilderness area. We were out there for 6 days and 4 nights. I was in a one man tent and woke up at 2-3am to a bipedal animal quietly doing circles around my tent. It was within 15 feet of me, the leaves were cracker dry, and you could hear everything perfectly. You could feel the ground rumble. There was a full moon and i didn't have my rain fly on - i tried to look through the top of the tent where the mesh netting was but as soon as i moved it took off. The previous night we had heard the most insane calls - it was alteast 3-5 of them.

OfflineGuruBushHippie
MountainMan
Male

Re: I 'm gonna go squatchin' [Re: vjp]
    #17369358 - 12/10/12 05:44 PM (11 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

vjp said:
I went to wilson creek a couple months ago per your suggestion guru and we had some weird stuff happen but nothing concrete. Weird calls/noises, my buddies dog being bat shit scared, and wood knocking. Also had weird stuff happen near brevard and linville gorge wilderness and the Maine mountains near the AT. 

My best encounter happened at uwharrie national forest though in the birkhead wilderness area. We were out there for 6 days and 4 nights. I was in a one man tent and woke up at 2-3am to a bipedal animal quietly doing circles around my tent. It was within 15 feet of me, the leaves were cracker dry, and you could hear everything perfectly. You could feel the ground rumble. There was a full moon and i didn't have my rain fly on - i tried to look through the top of the tent where the mesh netting was but as soon as i moved it took off. The previous night we had heard the most insane calls - it was alteast 3-5 of them.

Nice! I haven't been to uwharrie in years, but i've heard some stories.

--------------------

OfflineHungry Raptor
Fossilized

#17369388 - 12/10/12 05:47 PM (11 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

GuruBushHippie said:
This was like a really loud WAAAAHHHHH! Each scream lasted about a full second.

Yeah, that is the main thing I remember about these is how long they were sustained for.  When I listen to wild cat sounds they seem to change in pitch from high to low and back to high.  The sounds I heard we like a solid vocalization that sounded almost like the bimbo scream in a horror flick...  Each sound would last for what seemed like forever, and then nothing for like 5 minutes, then it would happen again.  I can remember it happening 4 times over a short period once.

Some of the old dudes who lived in the area claimed that they had seen the "booger" that made the sounds, but most people said they were just crazy old men.

--------------------
― Philip K. Dick

Offlinepoke_poke
Creepy old guy in your bushes
 User Gallery

Loc: CA
Re: I 'm gonna go squatchin' [Re: Hungry Raptor] * 1
    #17370275 - 12/10/12 07:47 PM (11 years, 3 months ago)

Too bad that bigfoots don't exist...

If you do search, make sure to take the cast of finding bigfoot with you so you can have a good laugh. That show cracks me up. The shit they say with a straight face. The "Finding Bigfoot" crew is constantly making random statements about the behavior of Sasquatches as though they are established facts: "Squatches are attracted to women", "Squatches are attracted to bacon", "Squatches are attracted to music", etc. If Bigfoot is attracted to women and bacon and music, how come they aren't showing up at NFL tailgate parties? With the advent of trail cameras and their latest tecnology being employed by tens of thousands of hunters, outfitters, and naturialists, you would expect to see at least ONE good reliable photo to have appeared, if there was really anything out there. No bones have EVER been left by dead bigfoot. Even if porkypines got to the bones (HAHAHAHAH), the skull, back bone and pelvis would remain. Has there every been a bigfoot hit by a car, train or truck in the past 100 years? No, because they don't exist.

Is the cast of "Finding Bigfoot" a bunch dumbasses or are they just laughing at the viewers? Is Ranae an ugly woman or fairly attractive man? These questions remain to be answered.

OfflineGuruBushHippie
MountainMan
Male

Re: I 'm gonna go squatchin' [Re: poke_poke]
    #17370521 - 12/10/12 08:28 PM (11 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

poke_poke said:

If you do search, make sure to take the cast of finding bigfoot with you so you can have a good laugh. That show cracks me up. The shit they say with a straight face. The "Finding Bigfoot" crew is constantly making random statements about the behavior of Sasquatches as though they are established facts: "Squatches are attracted to women", "Squatches are attracted to bacon", "Squatches are attracted to music", etc. If Bigfoot is attracted to women and bacon and music, how come they aren't showing up at NFL tailgate parties? With the advent of trail cameras and their latest tecnology being employed by tens of thousands of hunters, outfitters, and naturialists, you would expect to see at least ONE good reliable photo to have appeared, if there was really anything out there. No bones have EVER been left by dead bigfoot. Even if porkypines got to the bones (HAHAHAHAH), the skull, back bone and pelvis would remain. Has there every been a bigfoot hit by a car, train or truck in the past 100 years? No, because they don't exist.

Is the cast of "Finding Bigfoot" a bunch dumbasses or are they just laughing at the viewers? Is Ranae an ugly woman or fairly attractive man? These questions remain to be answered.

Damn, you sound really into this show Poke. You're a closet believer :eek:

It's okay. You're safe in this thread.

--------------------

Offlinepoke_poke
Creepy old guy in your bushes
 User Gallery

Loc: CA
    #17370641 - 12/10/12 08:47 PM (11 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

GuruBushHippie said:
Quote:

poke_poke said:

Damn, you sound really into this show Poke. You're a closet believer :eek:

It's okay. You're safe in this thread.

haha. Have fun in the woods, it must be nice and cold this time of the year. Are you going to be camping?

If you are actually considering looking, I recommend LOTS of trail cams, and do NOT, under any circumstance, employ the tactics of the finding bigfoot show.

Have fun :smile:.

OfflineYrat
Hello

#17400635 - 12/16/12 09:43 AM (11 years, 3 months ago)

--------------------
"There are a thousand hacking at the branches of evil
to one who is striking at the root."
-Henry David Thoreau
Strike The Root

Invisiblebryguy27007
Cosmonaut
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Flag
    #17401034 - 12/16/12 11:10 AM (11 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

GuruBushHippie said:
Quote:

LittleDipster said:
Quote:

GuruBushHippie said:

This is from my post in the creepy stories from the outdoors thread:

The following accounts happened within the same 10 day trip on the south arm and main body of Knife Lake in northern MN as well as on Newfound lake. It's a very long section of water for people traveling by canoe (7 miles or so total I would estimate.)

1) On night 5 of the trip we reached the south arm from the lake to the southeast and settled into a campsite near Eddy falls. I was nestled into my hammock for the night with a tarp pulled over me like a blanket in case it were to rain. I was in a deep sleep and it must have been 2 or 3 am since it was still dark and the sun comes up at like 4:30 there. I awoke to the sound of sobbing. It sounded like a woman and it was growing ever closer. then I heard the footsteps coming through the brush and trees toward our campsite. The noise entered the campsite on the side I was sleeping on and before long I could sense that whatever it was was standing right next to my hammock. I flung the tarp off half expecting a scared scout but instead my hand struck a rather solid body that then sprinted off into the dense forest. Startled, I awoke my crew and did a head count only to find that everyone was in their tents asleep. I waved it off as a bear encounter and went back to sleep.

3) The following day we decided to do something unconventional and go for a night paddle. We sat around camp all day and relaxed then at around 10:00 pm we left camp and kept heading southwest toward base camp. At about 1:00 am we came to the pinch of land separating Newfound Lake from Moose Lake. Here we had to cross through a relatively narrow passage of shallow water. At it's narrowest it's probably 25 yards from bank to bank. We were exactly at this point when out of the darkness of the right bank comes a flying rock. And I mean a ROCK! This thing was very large to have made it the 15 yards from the bank to right in front of the canoe. Either a world strongman threw that rock or something really big living in the woods did. The rock landed on a flat shoal next to us; a piece of flat-topped granite about a foot under water. The rock was so large it still had a foot sticking out of the water and was too heavy to pick up.

Fuck Guru, now you have me scared as shit to go back to the B-Dubs. But also strangely excited.
:crazy2:

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck, Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds