Home | Community | Message Board

Avalon Magic Plants
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Capsules   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlineredstar420pmb
Stranger
Loc: houston
newbie grower with some newbie questions
    #1735303 - 07/21/03 02:45 PM (20 years, 8 months ago)

im completely new at this. i thoroughly read 2 different PF teks, both gave me a pretty good idea on what needs to be done, but i still have a few unanswered questions.

first, is it completely safe to order spore syringes online to my residential home, or should i set up a P.O. box?

what is best to use for a base of the cake? ive read perlite and ive read a jar lid.

is it worth buying a pressure cooker over boiling in a pot? does it make a big difference?

does using a cigarette lighter effect the outcome if used to sterilize the syringe versus denatured alcohol?

i appreciate the help. hopefully a few months from now i will be able to helps some newbs too =)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflinepsilocybinjunkieM
relaxin
Male

Trusted Cultivator
Re: newbie grower with some newbie questions [Re: redstar420pmb]
    #1735331 - 07/21/03 02:53 PM (20 years, 8 months ago)

Ok, I can answer these :nut:

I"d say yes you can order directly to your home, but if your the super paranoid type then set up a P.O. box. Although i think vendors are 100% trust worthy and very discreet so i wouldn't worry...

The jare lid will be what you wanna use for the base, perlite will be used also but for humidity. Place the lid on top of the perlite and cake on the lid.

Boiling works fine if your just doing pf-style cakes, brf/verm cakes. Save yourself some dough and skip the pressure cooker for now.

Cigarette lighters are fine, bic is what a friend uses :spliff:

Also Thai ks is the easiest strain for a baginer it fruits quickly, colonizes quick and is very contam resistant. Mazatapec, and Mexi cub are also recommended. Stay away from Ecuador, Treasure Coast, Orissa, Pes Hawaiian for awhile cause there slower and more stubborn strains...
:stash:

OfflineEkstaza
stranger than most
 User Gallery

Loc: Around the corner
    #1735336 - 07/21/03 02:56 PM (20 years, 8 months ago)

<<first, is it completely safe to order spore syringes online to my residential home, or should i set up a P.O. box?>>

As long as you don't live in California or Georgia spores are legal and there should be no problem.

<<what is best to use for a base of the cake? ive read perlite and ive read a jar lid.>>

I'd put them on the lids.

<<is it worth buying a pressure cooker over boiling in a pot? does it make a big difference?>>

A PC is more reliable in my opinion at sterilization.

<<does using a cigarette lighter effect the outcome if used to sterilize the syringe versus denatured alcohol?>>

The only adverse outcome I've ever experienced from using a cigarette lighter is that it leaves soot on your needle.

--------------------
YOUR EXPERIENCE WITH ANY GIVEN DRUG ISN'T THE DEFINITIVE MEASURE OF THE DRUGS EFFECTS.

OfflineEkstaza
stranger than most
 User Gallery

Loc: Around the corner
Re: newbie grower with some newbie questions [Re: Ekstaza]
    #1735343 - 07/21/03 02:57 PM (20 years, 8 months ago)

Why can't I type faster? :frown:

--------------------
YOUR EXPERIENCE WITH ANY GIVEN DRUG ISN'T THE DEFINITIVE MEASURE OF THE DRUGS EFFECTS.

OfflinepsilocybinjunkieM
relaxin
Male

Trusted Cultivator
Re: newbie grower with some newbie questions [Re: Ekstaza]
    #1735351 - 07/21/03 02:59 PM (20 years, 8 months ago)

"The only adverse outcome I've ever experienced from using a cigarette lighter is that it leaves soot on your needle."

You can wipe that soot off with a paper towel dampend with rubbing alcohol :lol:

Offlineredstar420pmb
Stranger
Loc: houston
Re: newbie grower with some newbie questions [Re: psilocybinjunkie]
    #1735523 - 07/21/03 03:52 PM (20 years, 8 months ago)

thanks a lot for the help, ill be ordering the spores today or tomorrow so hopefully youll be seeing a decent grow log in the log forum soon  :smile: :smile:

OfflinefIsh in my head
fadedstar

Loc: 4500 ASL
Re: newbie grower with some newbie questions [Re: psilocybinjunkie]
    #1735808 - 07/21/03 05:02 PM (20 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

Also Thai ks is the easiest strain for a baginer it fruits quickly, colonizes quick and is very contam resistant. Mazatapec, and Mexi cub are also recommended. Stay away from Ecuador, Treasure Coast, Orissa, Pes Hawaiian for awhile cause there slower and more stubborn strains...

Haha. I know someone who has experience with Tai Koh Samui, Tapalpa, Equador and Matias Romero and after many months of growing, the Koh Samui strain was the hardest to grow. To be honnest, he wasn't able to get a single mature mushroom yet! It's a fast colonizer and pinner but everything abhort!! He will never grow the KS with PF-TEK again.

I understand that most people are getting good results with KS without a lot of efforts but for him, it just seems impossible. It's quite personal I guess.

On the other hand, Tapalpas are extremly easy to grow. Far more than any other strain tried.

I truly believe that you have to try some and find the ones that gives the best results for you.

My personal suggestion : Tapalpa. Fast colonizer, easy fruiter, great potency!!

good luck.

.fs.

OfflinePhiShEaD
Just anotherPhace in thecrowd...

Loc: Front Row ; Center
Re: newbie grower with some newbie questions [Re: fIsh in my head]
    #1736916 - 07/21/03 11:58 PM (20 years, 8 months ago)

I always read that EQ was good for beginners, which is why i ordered a syringe...anyone whos grown EQ's please post your thoughts!!!

--------------------
OnCe iN a WhiLe YoU gEt ShOwN tHe LiGhT, iN tHe StRaNgEsT oF pLaCeS iF yOu LoOk At iT RiGhT...

OfflinepsilocybinjunkieM
relaxin
Male

Trusted Cultivator
Re: newbie grower with some newbie questions [Re: PhiShEaD]
    #1737274 - 07/22/03 02:40 AM (20 years, 8 months ago)

ks are sweet :spliff:

InvisibleTxTec
Texas home andheart breaker...

Re: newbie grower with some newbie questions [Re: PhiShEaD]
    #1737299 - 07/22/03 02:53 AM (20 years, 8 months ago)

EQ`s were the first ones i grew,They werent hard and have been around fer awhile...I wish i had a print around so i could grow em again.

--------------------
I felt a warm warm breeze that melted metal and steele

OfflineSev
Astropath
Loc: NY
    #1737976 - 07/22/03 11:07 AM (20 years, 8 months ago)

1: No real need for a PO Box. Order from TLG -- they don't keep customer lists.

2: That's one you need to search the threads for and experiment with. Mostly I"ve heard use a jar lid, but put the cakes on the perlite between flushes to rehydrate.

3: YES, YES, DEAR GOD, YES. Get one for like $20 off Ebay. If you're using it properly, then you don't have to worry about contams in your substrate, unless you introduced them during innoculation. Use the Tyvek tek along with this and you're almost guaranteed no contams (again, unless you introduce them during innoculation.)

4: Nope. Hell, I use a candle. The only problem with a cig lighter or a candle is that it leaves soot on the needle, but this doesn't cause any problems.

For a first grow, I'd suggest getting Creeper and something else you might wanna try -- the TLG 2-fer deals are great.

--------------------
"Do we want the stars? We can have them. Can we borrow cups of fire from the sun? We can and must and light the world." --"On the Shoulders of Giants", Ray Bradbury

All of my posts are full of fiction and blatant lies.

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Capsules   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals