Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   North Spore Bulk Substrate   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | Next >  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
InvisibleHippie3
mycotopiate
 User Gallery

Loc: mycotopia.net
The Hominy Project
    #1734411 - 07/21/03 08:39 AM (20 years, 8 months ago)

just wanted to share some exciting work being done over at mycotopia.net by one of our mycotopiates, cubester1.
here's some c & p of his posts on hominy.
Quote:

By cubester1 (Cubester1) on Sunday, June 29, 2003 - 01:10 am: Edit

A few weeks ago in a pop corn tek discusion I brought up the idea of using Homony. No one posted a response so..being the curiouse one that I am I decided to give it a shot. I picked up a can of Homony at the local grocer. Drained it. Filled a full pint about 3/4 full. PC'd it for 45 minutes. I then transfered a few small pieces of myc. from a sterile BRF cake. The first 2 days things looked to be going no where. I had written the project off about 80%, thinking there must be preservatives in the Homony. But...on day three I awoke and hee is what we have.

Quote:

This is quite an explosion. Considering only 24 hours before there was almost no growth. The dark area within is just some vermic that got in with the transfer, no worries of contams so far. Now the question..why use Homony??? Not real sure of the possibilites yet. But it does look like it may be worth more investigation on this end.

ok, that was his first post, and we all pretty much just blew him off.
but he's a persistant fellow and came back with more later in a contest thread we have running.
here's the next post.
Quote:

Okay now I was basically ridiculed for mentioning this earlier but... Thus far I'm finding that the "Hominy Project" is turning out very well. Now granted for the large scale grower or more advanced grower it may not be the thing. For the new guy I think it could be a great starter.
There is no mixing of ingredients and little preparation on this method. A can of Hominy is ONLY 37 cents, that less than 3 bucks for 12 jars. Pretty cheap 2 cans will do 3 1/2 pints. This is cheaper than buying BRF and Vermic. Plus you just need to drain the extra liquid off the hominy dump into the jars and PC or boil. Then Innoc. Very easy and painless. This is 2 1/2 weeks after innoc. Will post more as this progresses

so there you have it, that's what we have so far.

here's a quickie recipe for making hominy, if anyone cares to, but it seems more likely that just buying hominy at your local grocery store and dumping the contents, once drained, into the jars for pc'ing might be a great alternative for some.
Quote:

Making Home Made Hominy
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Recipe by Brandie
Hominy, simply, is hulled corn, whole, coarsly broken or ground into small pieces of about the same size. Sometimes hominy is called samp, especially when it is very coarse. Pearl hominy is whole grain hominy with the hulls removed by machinery. Lye hominy is whole grain hominy cooked in lye water. Granulated hominy is a ground form and hominy grits are broken grains. When I was a kid I had a girlfriend whose grandmother was a wounderful southern lady. They always had grits for breakfast, but they were served as a side dish to ham, eggs and biscuits, as a substitute for potatoes. Everyone eats them differently, but they are good with just butter and salt. Some people put their fried eggs on top, or homestyle gravy with biscuits and grits is another country type breakfast. The following recipe describes the lye method of removing the hulls.

1 qt. dry field corn
4 qt. water
1 oz. lye
Place in an enameled kettle and boil vigorously for 1/2 hour, then let stand for 20 minutes. Rinse several times with hot water, then rinse with cool water until you can handle the hominy to rub off the dark tips of the kernels. Float away the tips. Add water to cover hominy one-inch and boil 5 minutes.
Drain and repeat 4 times, then cook 1/2 hour or until kernels are tender.

Pack in 6 sterilized pint jars; add 1/4 teaspoon salt to each jar. Cover with boiling water; adjust lids and process in pressure canner, 240 degrees at 10 pounds pressure, 60 minutes. (If using quart jars, process 70 minutes.) This recipe will yield 6 pints of hominy.

i'll post more to this as more results become available.

--------------------
Admin @ mycotopia.net
Mycotopia

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleHippie3
mycotopiate
 User Gallery

Re: The Hominy Project [Re: Hippie3]
    #1734419 - 07/21/03 08:50 AM (20 years, 8 months ago)

ok, i just searched your database here and only found one post, by 'baby hitler' wherein he suggested to someone interested in cream of wheat to try a can of hominy instead.
you out there mr. hitler ?
what do you know about hominy ?
did find a post by 6tango, a c & p of nute levels in various substrates that included hominy.
but that's about it.

--------------------
Admin @ mycotopia.net
Mycotopia

OfflineJovialLeprechaun
reasonableperson
    #1734809 - 07/21/03 12:02 PM (20 years, 8 months ago)

big thanks to you and baby_hitler for that popcorn thread in advanced, i've been having amazing results with it. peace.

--------------------
I am a reasonable person.

InvisibleHippie3
mycotopiate
 User Gallery

Re: The Hominy Project [Re: JovialLeprechaun]
    #1735616 - 07/21/03 04:16 PM (20 years, 8 months ago)

i'm glad to hear you like it,
the real credit for popcorn goes to the swedes,
all we did is follow their lead.
same thing here, cubester made the initial discovery,
and i think i smell a good idea so i'm making it my job to spred the word,
and prove the tek.
we got a couple cases of cheap hominy and we're setting up a test project to demonstrate this alternative.
cubester should have some fruiting before long
but we need more evidence, more examples.
people in this hobby tend to be pretty conservative,
and they don't like trying new ideas until it's been proven to work well.
but you gotta admit, a substrate that's ready-to-use right out of a can is potentially a pretty good tek for the small timers and the newbies. maybe even a few oldtimers as well,
esp. the lazy ones like me.
:cool:

--------------------
Admin @ mycotopia.net
Mycotopia

Invisiblepussycontrol
unregistered

Loc: unregistered
    #1735683 - 07/21/03 04:31 PM (20 years, 8 months ago)

damn hippie sockin it to the kids once again... good job sharing info.
we just cant stop at one thing can we. lol :smile:

btw. what is homoney? what department of grocerystore.

OnlineBaby_Hitler
Errorist
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: To the limit!
    #1735739 - 07/21/03 04:45 PM (20 years, 8 months ago)

Heil!

Hominy should sterilize quite easily since it has already been sterilized in the can at the factory. Just draining it, dumping it in a jar, and boiling it should be plenty.

I've never tried it. Some brands may be too salty.I'm glad somebody finally tried it out. cubester1 has joined you me, and Effed as Bona Fide Children of the Corn!

--------------------
"America: Fuck yeah!" -- Alexthegreat

“Nothing can now be believed which is seen in a newspaper. Truth itself becomes suspicious by being put into that polluted vehicle. The real extent of this state of misinformation is known only to those who are in situations to confront facts within their knowledge with the lies of the day.”  -- Thomas Jefferson

The greatest sin of mankind is ignorance.

The press takes [Trump] literally, but not seriously; his supporters take him seriously, but not literally. --Salena Zeto (9/23/16)

InvisibleHippie3
mycotopiate
 User Gallery

Re: The Hominy Project [Re: pussycontrol]
    #1735888 - 07/21/03 05:32 PM (20 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

pussycontrol said:
damn hippie sockin it to the kids once again... good job sharing info.
we just cant stop at one thing can we. lol :smile:

btw. what is homoney? what department of grocerystore. 

should find it near the other canned veggies, maybe close to the corn.
my mom used to feed it to us when i was a kid, kinda mealy swollen corn.

--------------------
Admin @ mycotopia.net
Mycotopia

InvisibleHippie3
mycotopiate
 User Gallery

Re: The Hominy Project [Re: Baby_Hitler]
    #1735907 - 07/21/03 05:39 PM (20 years, 8 months ago)

i agree whole-heartedly,
it should be pretty damn sterile right out of the can,
no pesky endospores to worry about.
salt may be a concern but apparently it didn't stop cubester,
i know from other experiments by another mycotopiate over in europe that cubie mycellia can tolerate and even grow with low salt levels,
he's been using an over-the-counter bagged saline/dextrose mixture for liquid cultures, the real shame is that stuff he's using over there is a prescription item in the USA, used for kidney dialysis.
a bit off-topic i know but the point being,
salt may not be the problem we think.
at least, at low levels.

--------------------
Admin @ mycotopia.net
Mycotopia

OnlineBaby_Hitler
Errorist
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: To the limit!
    #1735944 - 07/21/03 05:53 PM (20 years, 8 months ago)

Someone tried canned corn without success. They blamed it on the salt. It may have been something else.

--------------------
"America: Fuck yeah!" -- Alexthegreat

“Nothing can now be believed which is seen in a newspaper. Truth itself becomes suspicious by being put into that polluted vehicle. The real extent of this state of misinformation is known only to those who are in situations to confront facts within their knowledge with the lies of the day.”  -- Thomas Jefferson

The greatest sin of mankind is ignorance.

The press takes [Trump] literally, but not seriously; his supporters take him seriously, but not literally. --Salena Zeto (9/23/16)

InvisibleHippie3
mycotopiate
 User Gallery

Re: The Hominy Project [Re: Baby_Hitler]
    #1736000 - 07/21/03 06:09 PM (20 years, 8 months ago)

alot of stuff can be gotten 'salt-free' at better stores,
i'll look around and see if that's an option.
but his colonized, a bit slower than regular popcorn it's true but not too bad.
and we don't even have any reason to believe he ever shook his jars after growth to help speed it up as with other grains, that might help some.
from his pix, the mycellia covered the kernels very well so perhaps just a quick rinse to get off any salt leftover from the canning water would suffice.
ah well, we'll know a lot more in a week or two in that regard,
we've already got several mycotopiates hard at work, pc'ing hominy as we speak.
here's another tip that just came in-
Quote:

By john q. public (Jqpindahouse) on Monday, July 21, 2003 - 11:38 pm: Edit

If you live an area with a latin population, go to one of the supermercado's (supermarket) for cheap prices on hominy. I know someone who bought a 6 pound can for $2.50 and has it PC'ing already.

that works out to ~$.416 a pound,
4 cents more than cubester paid but still not too terrible when you consider it's already cooked, the time i save on cooking grain alone would cover the cost difference.

btw, in case anyone wonders at the apparent discrepancy between the posting times, i should point out that mycotopia runs on world time, GMT, which is 6 hours ahead of the US east coast. not counting daylight savings time, which would add another hour.

--------------------
Admin @ mycotopia.net
Mycotopia

Edited by Hippie3 (07/22/03 07:46 AM)

InvisibleHippie3
mycotopiate
 User Gallery

#1736048 - 07/21/03 06:26 PM (20 years, 8 months ago)

after-thought.
it might be relevant vis a vis the salt issue the fact that cubester used live mycellia instead of spores.
perhaps salt acts similar to peroxide, killing spores but letting mycellia survive.
pure speculation, but it's another variable to consider.

--------------------
Admin @ mycotopia.net
Mycotopia

Offlineresin
Ghetto Monster
Male User Gallery

Loc: Ca$hville
    #1736177 - 07/21/03 07:29 PM (20 years, 8 months ago)

I think popcorn works well enough. I Dont think his growth was any faster than regular popcorn. I usually cannot see any growth in quarts for 3 days then boom the 4th day I have like 30% colonization. Thanks Hitler, Hippie, and the swiss for the popcorn thread

InvisibleHippie3
mycotopiate
 User Gallery

Re: The Hominy Project [Re: resin]
    #1736207 - 07/21/03 07:43 PM (20 years, 8 months ago)

swedes, not swiss.
but otherwise, very true.
but one other factor to consider-
i don't think he even shook it up,
he never mentions doing so.
shaking it once after the initial burst of growth might speed it up considerably, as with other grains.
the real advantage, if any, is the ease of just opening a can of instant substrate. no pre-soak, no boiling, just drain and rinse, etc.
besides, it's a bit early yet to guage average colonization speed for hominy, his project was extremely small scale, just a one jar.
we'll see how it goes from here.
not saying this is better,
just an possible alternative worth exploring a bit more, i already dismissed it once, don't want to make the same mistake twice. i'm confident that someone out there will find canned hominy to be useful in their quest for the magic.
and remember, the popcorn thread started out alot like this one, it's only because a few of us ran with an idea and showed the results that others are now reaping the rewards.

--------------------
Admin @ mycotopia.net
Mycotopia

Edited by Hippie3 (08/03/03 09:19 AM)

Invisiblepussycontrol
unregistered

#1736278 - 07/21/03 08:12 PM (20 years, 8 months ago)

Hippie has a point. and a good one at that. Im runnning with this idea and ill figure out somethin.
Ill post results ..

Hey hip so spores wouldnt work out huh? ill try that or some liq dex tonight. that guy from myco did a tissue trans or a agar plate trans.???

InvisibleHippie3
mycotopiate
 User Gallery

#1736329 - 07/21/03 08:27 PM (20 years, 8 months ago)

he did a tissue transfer from a pf cake but that doesn't mean spores won't work.
as of yet, we simply don't know if they'll work, but i'll bet they will.
but unfortunately cubester is only an occasional poster, a relative newbie to the scene, and his pilot project was quite limited, just the two posts and 2 pix is all i'm going on right now.
so it's guys like you and me that need to shoulder the responsibility and burden of figuring out the details as we work thru it.
but i'm sure not the only mad scientist around.
we'll figure this thing out one way or the other before too long.

--------------------
Admin @ mycotopia.net
Mycotopia

Invisiblepussycontrol
unregistered

#1736376 - 07/21/03 08:40 PM (20 years, 8 months ago)

Yeah theres something to it he may have done. im thinking of experimenting on a perx3% rinse on 2. fast rinse on 2. no rinse on 2. and maybe some thing else too.
Im fillin the 21qt pc with em so im gonna get busy with this.

they also seem to look like theyd hole more water too. ill post right away. pussy.

InvisibleHippie3
mycotopiate
 User Gallery

#1736406 - 07/21/03 08:48 PM (20 years, 8 months ago)

great, i appreciate your helping to figure this out.
btw, i proly should mention that, much like corn,
hominy comes in two colors i know of,
white and yellow.
cubester used yellow as you can see in his pix,
but i doubt it makes a difference which you get,
just as with popcorn. the only difference is it might be rather hard to distinguish the mycellia on white hominy.

--------------------
Admin @ mycotopia.net
Mycotopia

OfflineRBX
poop
    #1737168 - 07/22/03 01:33 AM (20 years, 8 months ago)

I might try this as spawn....It seems to have colonized very well, perfect for spawning some compost I got. I might wait for some more reports though.

--------------------
Peace

Offlineblackout
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: The Hominy Project [Re: RBX]
    #1737452 - 07/22/03 05:06 AM (20 years, 8 months ago)

lentils come in tins too, i was put off ages ago by people saying the salt means it wont work. i also wondered about sterile hemp seed, but some said it came from sterile plants and it wasnt actually sterilized, but im not certain of that. another idea is to get salt free lentils. wipe the can with bleach and make a 2 small holes. let the can drain and inject straight into the can, only problem is you cant see how colonisation is going and you may not be able to shake them well, but i find most drained cans have a good bit of headspace, air exchange may be a problem, but it would be sweet opening a can with a opener and finding ready to spawn grain inside.

OfflineAnnoA
Experimenter
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: my room
Re: The Hominy Project [Re: blackout]
    #1737579 - 07/22/03 06:59 AM (20 years, 8 months ago)

>i also wondered about sterile hemp seed, but some said it came from
>sterile plants and it wasn't actually sterilized

It is radioactively sterilized in terms of "made non fertile". It?s not sterile in terms of "contaminant free".
I tried it twice as substrate, it sucked.

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   North Spore Bulk Substrate   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract