Home | Community | Message Board

Mycohaus
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineOlympichunter13
Stranger
Psilocybe Pelliculosa?
    #17354866 - 12/08/12 11:33 AM (11 years, 3 months ago)

I'm new to the community, but have recently gotten back into exploring the many different mushrooms of the Pacific Northwest.  I have an experienced fired who's helped me to find and identify some of the more common edible mushrooms in Western Washington and it's been rewarding and a lot of fun.  Years ago I picked liberty caps (psilocybe semilanceata at a number of different places in our area, and I've read through Paul Stamets excellent book on the genus lately.  I recently ran across the mushrooms shown below and suspect that they could be P. pelliculosa, but I was curious is any members might be able to advise me?

Habitat:
Growing in semidecayed wood chips and pine needles under Douglas fir trees These specimens were found south of Port Townsend on the east side of the Olympic Peninsula in Washington State.
Gills:
tan to light brown, attached
Stem:
1-3 inches long by about 1/8" in diameter, fibrils evident.

Cap:
1/4"-1" diameter, light brown - yellow brown color, viscid pellicle in younger specimens, but dry in older ones, conical cap.

Spore print color:
Wll, I had a hard time getting definitive spore prints from the few specimens I picked, but what I did get looked more-or-less cinnamon brown in color
Bruising:
These didn't show a lot of bruising color, some brown with perhaps a bit of blue bruising at the base of the stems
Other information:
The mushrooms had a fairly noticable earthy/composty smell when drying

I'm not planning to consume these, but I would like to educate myself on what they are, as I see a lot of this mushroom around our place.  They caught my eye becuase they looked very much like the P. semilanceata that I was familiar with, but with a less pronounced "nipple" at the top of the cap.

Thanks very much for any advice the group can offer!  I will try to get some additional fresh ones in the next week and get some better spore prints.  Haven't done this before, but there are some great instructions on the site.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleTangich

Folding@home Statistics
Trusted Identifier
Re: Psilocybe Pelliculosa? [Re: Olympichunter13]
    #17354897 - 12/08/12 11:39 AM (11 years, 3 months ago)

You always need to post a picture of the underside if you want a proper ID.
Looking at those, they are most likely a Mycena species. But like I said, it's impossible to be 100% without seeing the gills.

OfflineShrink
The Curious
 User Gallery

Loc: bay area
Re: Psilocybe Pelliculosa? [Re: Tangich]
    #17355235 - 12/08/12 12:41 PM (11 years, 3 months ago)

I'd also say mycena is a good guess, at the very least not pelliculosa!

OfflineOlympichunter13
Stranger
Re: Psilocybe Pelliculosa? [Re: Shrink]
    #17357666 - 12/08/12 09:04 PM (11 years, 3 months ago)

Thanks much.  I should have posted some additional pictures of the gills of the specimens in my pic.  Thanks for the quick feedback and I'll try to post some better pics if I can get a few more samples early next week.  Your information does help.

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies