Home | Community | Message Board

Mycohaus
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck, Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
Offlinespinergy
Stranger
The Meaning of Life
    #1734830 - 07/21/03 12:11 PM (20 years, 8 months ago)

Meaning of Life

What is the meaning of life? It is a common question but one I have never had an answer to until recently. When we were hunter gatherers our purpose in life was to stay alive; to feed the kids and prosper. Today, it is almost hard to kill yourself. With warning labels on every product and laws against anything fun, we no longer have to spend our entire lives just trying to keep from dying.

Our purpose in today's society is to find something to do with all our time. We work 40 hours a week, sleep 56, that leaves 72 hours a week to fill with an activity. Some spend their time watching tv, some playing pool, anything to fill your time.

So who wins in the game of life? He who dies with the most toys? I don't buy into that. Most religions advocate giving up worldly postions. They say this leads to happiness. I'm not a very religious man but I do believe this.

I'd say my goal in life is to work just enough to survive. Do as little as possible for some one else. If I could spend my days relaxing, smoking a joint, or volunteering at the local soup kitchen, I'd say I succeeded. I don't want a Mercedes and a girl with a shopping addiction. Does that make me a bad person?

What is the meaning to your life?

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleArmFromTheAbyss
Old Hand

Loc: Down here in Babylon
Re: The Meaning of Life [Re: spinergy]
    #1734840 - 07/21/03 12:17 PM (20 years, 8 months ago)

Constant change while growing spiritually and trying to remain happy.

--------------------

OfflineRhizoid
carbon unit
Male

Loc: Europe
    #1734859 - 07/21/03 12:26 PM (20 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

I'd say my goal in life is to work just enough to survive. Do as little as possible for some one else. If I could spend my days relaxing, smoking a joint, or volunteering at the local soup kitchen, I'd say I succeeded. I don't want a Mercedes and a girl with a shopping addiction. Does that make me a bad person?

No, but if that life makes you realize less than your potential, then you obviously could have done something even more and better...

Quote:

To try and treat myself and my friends and everyone else as lovingly as possible. :heart:

Offlinefireworks_godS
Sexy.Butt.McDanger
Male

Loc: Pandurn
    #1734884 - 07/21/03 12:35 PM (20 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

So who wins in the game of life? He who dies with the most toys? I don't buy into that. Most religions advocate giving up worldly postions. They say this leads to happiness. I'm not a very religious man but I do believe this.

Any preconceived idea of how to lead your life is wrong. You find out how to live your life by yourself. ONLY. Religions that prescribe how to live, they are setting things up for them to have the power of control. Every religion has messages that do have value; however, that doesn't mean you "join the religion". Lobbyists in Congress give out a lot of information to get people to sign up on their cause, just because what they are saying may be right doesn't mean you sign up for their cause (unless you want to, as I said, only you decide how to live your life). Give up worldy possessions? "Son, if you want to be happy, send me your money. You don't want money, it will make you unhappy. So, send it to me, I'll take your money, you'll be happy, and I'll be happy because you sent me your money."
Quote:

I don't want a Mercedes and a girl with a shopping addiction. Does that make me a bad person?

Certainly not. Does WANTING a Mercedes and a girl with a shopping addiction make you a bad person? Certainly not.
Quote:

Finding meaning in my life. More specifically, finding MY meaning in my life.
Some people want a Mercedes because it is a cool car and they like to drive it. That makes them happy, so they are happy when they have it. Some people want a Mercedes because other people will like him or think he is cool or rich. That makes them happy, so they are happy when the have it and people think they are cool.
Some people are happy no matter what the external condition; they love the fact that they are alive and simply put, here, experiencing life firsthand. That makes them happy, so they are happy with or without the Mercedes.
It is all up to you, and how much happiness you want (myself, I am happy playing bass guitar. If I couldn't play bass guitar, I'd still be happy, I guess, because I PREFER to play bass guitar. If i can't, no big deal, right?). The less addictions you have, and the more preferences you have, the happier you are, and the less suffering we have.
Peace.

--------------------
:redpanda:
If I should die this very moment
I wouldn't fear
For I've never known completeness
Like being here
Wrapped in the warmth of you
Loving every breath of you

:heartpump: :bunnyhug: :yinyang:

:yinyang: :levitate: :earth: :levitate: :yinyang:

Offlinespinergy
Stranger
Re: The Meaning of Life [Re: fireworks_god]
    #1734953 - 07/21/03 12:58 PM (20 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

Religions that prescribe how to live, they are setting things up for them to have the power of control. Give up worldy possessions? "Son, if you want to be happy, send me your money. You don't want money, it will make you unhappy. So, send it to me, I'll take your money, you'll be happy, and I'll be happy because you sent me your money."

See, but all religions aren't Christianity. Buddhism supports giving up worldly possessions but they don't ask for money from you. Christianity has its problems but I am not trying to start that discussion here.

Quote:

Certainly not. Does WANTING a Mercedes and a girl with a shopping addiction make you a bad person? Certainly not.

A bad person? No. Unhappy? Possibly. These religions all mention giving up worldly positions as a step towards inner happiness. How can you be happy if you spend a large chunk of your free time wanting more things. Personally, I believe happiness comes from contentment. If you are content with what you are have, you are happy. You don't have to be a millionaire to be content.

Offlineatomikfunksoldier
T'was born oftrue in the yearof the cock!

Loc: a human-infested anthill
    #1735017 - 07/21/03 01:27 PM (20 years, 8 months ago)

spinergy: Buddhism supports giving up worldly possessions but they don't ask for money from you

hahahaha, yeah right, thats a very ignorant statement. Go to asia and you'll soon see that buddhists monks are some of the richest and greediest people in the world. Its all a hustle bro, buddhism is no different.

--------------------
enjoy the entertaining indentity i have constructed for you while you can.

Offlinefireworks_godS
Sexy.Butt.McDanger
Male

#1735037 - 07/21/03 01:30 PM (20 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

spinergy said:
See, but all religions aren't Christianity. Buddhism supports giving up worldly possessions but they don't ask for money from you. Christianity has its problems but I am not trying to start that discussion here.

That wasn't really my point, that all religions ask for money. What I am saying is that it is up to us to find our own way, even if that consists of elements of Buddhism (I know my faith has a lot of their ideas). Buddhism is probably the best religion, in my opinion, because it isn't about believing or dogma, anything like that. But that's not what I was talking about, anyways.

Quote:

A bad person? No. Unhappy? Possibly. These religions all mention giving up worldly positions as a step towards inner happiness. How can you be happy if you spend a large chunk of your free time wanting more things. Personally, I believe happiness comes from contentment. If you are content with what you are have, you are happy. You don't have to be a millionaire to be content.

You can be happy doing anything that you want to do. Having possessions doesn't make you unhappy, being addicted to possessions does. I could see how some people could be VERY unhappy with giving up all their possessions. Finding inner happiness doesn't mean giving up an ordinary life. You can find inner happiness being President of the United States, or running a mulit-million corporation just as easy as you can find it in a monastery or living in the woods.
Basically, it all comes down to how many addictions you have. One should probably only be addicted to getting enough to eat and drink, the basics like that. I PREFER to live comfortably; I PREFER to be able to play as much guitar as I want; however, if for some reason I can't get what I prefer, I don't let it ruin my happiness and well-being (at least, I try not to. its a long process, but I'm starting to get it). That, I believe, is how you come about finding inner happiness.
Peace, and good luck.

--------------------
I wouldn't fear
Like being here

Offlinespinergy
Stranger
    #1735107 - 07/21/03 01:50 PM (20 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

I PREFER to be able to play as much guitar as I want

Oddly enough, I think we are both on the same page. I am not advocating giving away all your posessions. Don't give up your guitar, or your computer, or any of your possessions. I'm just saying stop basing how successful you are off of how many things you have.

I have a job that pays half ass but it is easy and I like it. That makes me happy. I don't care that I can't buy a new car because I don't want one.

Offlineatomikfunksoldier

#1735134 - 07/21/03 01:55 PM (20 years, 8 months ago)

hey spinergy, you didnt reply to my post. Please understand that many buddhist monks are greedy peices of shit, im sick of people who idealize buddhism and dont know anything about its institutions.

--------------------

Offlinepolarity
vagabond
Loc: Jackson, MS
Re: The Meaning of Life [Re: atomikfunksoldier]
    #1735184 - 07/21/03 02:06 PM (20 years, 8 months ago)

Atomic: I will reply to your post. I know a fair amount about buddhism and what it is supposed to be like. What is your problem with this particular religion and what facts do you have proving your previous statements.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying that you are not right, because people will find a way to fuck up anything (especially religions) I'm just curious where you get your facts that would lead you to form such a conclusion.

--------------------
But I?ll survive, the pain lets me know I?m alive.
But I still feel that this ain?t livin.

Offlinefireworks_godS
Sexy.Butt.McDanger
Male

#1735194 - 07/21/03 02:08 PM (20 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

spinergy said:
Oddly enough, I think we are both on the same page. I am not advocating giving away all your posessions. Don't give up your guitar, or your computer, or any of your possessions. I'm just saying stop basing how successful you are off of how many things you have.

Hmm... I wasn't thinking about giving up any of my possessions (and I don't have a computer to give away, by the way).
Who said i was basing how sucessful I am by how many possessions I have? Where did I say that. That totally contradicts anything I said, man.
I'm confused now....

--------------------
I wouldn't fear
Like being here

Offlineatomikfunksoldier

#1735220 - 07/21/03 02:15 PM (20 years, 8 months ago)

polarity: My problem is not with buddhism as a philosophy, but rather, with westerners that idealize buddhism and its institutions, but dont know anything about them.

I'm constantly encountering people who say shit like: "oh christian churchs are all about money, yeaaah, but thats whats good about buddhist monks, they renounce material possessions"

blah blah blah its all bullshit. If you are interested in the truth about monks, do some research, talk to somone who lives in asia, buddhist monks are notorious for being filthy rich. Ive personally seen a buddhist monk out ringing his stupid fuckin' bell, begging for money, and then getting picked up by some other monks in a brand new mercedes benz.

--------------------

Offlinepolarity
vagabond
    #1735319 - 07/21/03 02:49 PM (20 years, 8 months ago)

atomic: Point of note, he did not say he belived in monks and their non-value(is that a word?) of material possesions. He was saying that Buddhism supports a release from material addictions. A liberation of ones spiritual self from their physical self.

Buddhism does not say 'give up everything' that's not actually what buddhism is about.

Q: What did the Buddha teach?

A: His teaching was extensive. However, it is commonly agreed among all traditions throughout the Buddhist world, that fundamentally the teaching of the Buddha is contained in just four truths - the Four Noble Truths.

Q: What are these truths?
A: They are: the truth of suffering; the truth of regarding the cause of suffering; the truth regarding the cessation of suffering; and the path, the way leading to the cessation of that suffering.

We suffer when life does not go our way, when our hopes are dashed, and when disappointment or tragedy strikes. We also suffered when life does go our way. Why? Becausewe fear loss - loss of pleasure, wealth, family or friends. This is the truth of suffering.

Wishing, wanting, and desiring are the cause of suffering. We produce our own suffering by the way we think and act.

Because we produce our own suffering, it is within our power not to produce it, and not to suffer. This is the truth regarding the cessation of suffering.

The way of life which does not cause suffering is the path; it is the way of harmlessness, wishlessness, selflessness

I belive that many monks will take advantage and do exactly as you said, but that is not the buddist belief. I don't think idolizing any religion is a good idea, you're only setting yourself up for disappointment, but knocking on a certain religion is just as bad. That would be like saying everyone in the U.S. should die because there are some crackheads over here..

--------------------

OfflineStrumpling
Neuronaut
Loc: Hyperspace
Re: The Meaning of Life [Re: polarity]
    #1735442 - 07/21/03 03:24 PM (20 years, 8 months ago)

I think the meaning of life is to give meaning to life

--------------------
Insert an "I think" mentally in front of eveything I say that seems sketchy, because I certainly don't KNOW much. Also; feel free to yell at me.
In addition: SHPONGLE

Offlineatomikfunksoldier

Re: The Meaning of Life [Re: Strumpling]
    #1735453 - 07/21/03 03:26 PM (20 years, 8 months ago)

word!

--------------------

Offlinepolarity
vagabond
    #1735480 - 07/21/03 03:35 PM (20 years, 8 months ago)

hell ya

--------------------

Offlinefireworks_godS
Sexy.Butt.McDanger
Male

Re: The Meaning of Life [Re: polarity]
    #1736133 - 07/21/03 07:05 PM (20 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

polarity said:
The way of life which does not cause suffering is the path; it is the way of harmlessness, wishlessness, selflessness

Any way of life can not cause suffering. Its all in your head. Like I said earlier, the President of the United States could practice Buddhim effectively. It be fucking tough as hell, that is if you weren't basically raised as a Buddhist, but it is all in the mind.
Peace.

--------------------
I wouldn't fear
Like being here

OfflineLikwidDrawp
Dance EnergyConjuror

#1736152 - 07/21/03 07:17 PM (20 years, 8 months ago)

Here is what I have learned on the meaning of life so far.. it isn't much.

Life is suffering
suffering is learning
learning is good

the more pain you experience the more joy you can experience to compare it to- this is rather hard for me to illustrate, you have to experience it.

I know that there is no cop in the sky a.k.a. fairy-god in the sky, perhaps we are reincarnated, perhaps it all goes black. The meaning of life just might be to not know the meaning, our divine creator might be playing a trick on us! *sarcasm*

--------------------

Invisiblechodamunky
Cheers!

Loc: sailing the seas of chees...
    #1736449 - 07/21/03 09:07 PM (20 years, 8 months ago)

The meaning of life? There is a meaning?

InvisibleShroomismM
Space Travellin
Male User Gallery
Folding@home Statistics
Loc: 9th Dimension Flag
    #1736578 - 07/21/03 09:59 PM (20 years, 8 months ago)

Perpetual evolution

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck, Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order