Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom

Jump to first unread post Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3  [ show all ]
Offlinedodgem
Learner
 User Gallery

Re: Fuck Raking... [Re: 4runner]
    #17352784 - 12/07/12 09:57 PM (11 years, 3 months ago)

That is what lawn mowers are for.  Just mulch that shit up and call it a day.

--------------------
Walk where you like your steps

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleGumby
Fishnologist
 User Gallery

Re: Fuck Raking... [Re: Hiker] * 1
    #17352791 - 12/07/12 09:58 PM (11 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

Hiker said:
What is the point of using gas or power to blow leaves around? Every year you collect the fallen leaves, you're needlessly removing more and more organic matter and nutrients that the trees have extracted from the soil. It just doesn't make sense when the only benefit is that "it looks clean."

Because I'm not a god damn hippie and I want the yard to look nice.

Invisiblepsi
TOAST N' JAM
Male User Gallery

Loc: 613 Flag
Re: Fuck Raking... [Re: Beefy1]
    #17352804 - 12/07/12 10:00 PM (11 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

Beefy1 said:
I just let them blow into the neighbor's yard.

So does anybody with a leaf blower actually collect the leaves, or do they all just sort of pretend that they disappear when they get blown out of sight? If your neighbors get leaf blowers too and do the same thing, what then? Do you just duel it out until somebody either gives up, or snaps and throttles someone?

http://www.thehour.com/news/norwalk/dueling-leaf-blowers-police-say-norwalk-man-choked-neighbor-during/article_c08ba5db-13f1-580c-8d64-683ee480507e.html

InvisibleHiker
keeps it real
Male User Gallery

Re: Fuck Raking... [Re: Gumby]
    #17352806 - 12/07/12 10:01 PM (11 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

Gumby said:

Gumby's preferred mode of transportation:

--------------------

Invisible4runner
 User Gallery

Loc: State of Jefferson
Re: Fuck Raking... [Re: dodgem]
    #17352807 - 12/07/12 10:01 PM (11 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

dodgem said:
That is what lawn mowers are for.  Just mulch that shit up and call it a day.

Yes, in a perfect Craftsman commercial, that is what they are for, in the real world.... not so much.

Offlinedodgem
Learner
 User Gallery

#17352814 - 12/07/12 10:03 PM (11 years, 3 months ago)

my dad rides his mower super slow around our tree's and works like a charm.  John Deere baby, fuck craftsman.

--------------------
Walk where you like your steps

OfflineImmortalZodd
I seek only the strong
Male User Gallery

Loc: USA Flag
Re: Fuck Raking... [Re: Hiker]
    #17352825 - 12/07/12 10:06 PM (11 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

Hiker said:
Gumby's preferred mode of transportation:

lol great episode

--------------------
...the illegality of cannabis is outrageous, an impediment to full utilization of a drug which helps produce the serenity and insight, sensitivity and fellowship so desperately needed in this increasingly mad and dangerous world.

Carl Sagan

OfflineChibikitty
Kitties and Rainbows :3

Re: Fuck Raking... [Re: Hiker]
    #17353034 - 12/07/12 10:58 PM (11 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

Hiker said:
Quote:

anunnakian said:
That or just people keeping their lawn proper looking while feeding them the proper nutrients.
Also, maybe certain leaves are not proper for certain nutrients :shrug:

I don't think I understand what you're trying to say..

I'm not talking about OP in particular.. i'm just philosophizing about lawns and raking in general. Lawns used to be a pretty rare phenomenon, something restricted to royalty and other wealthy people who could afford to pay people to maintain them. Nowadays with fossil fuels, it's no longer cost prohibitive and everyone seems to have one in the suburbs and even rural areas.

Is it an obsession with cleanliness or what? Why do housing organizations enforce these rules? Is it purely aesthetics?

Well, you have to realize that the leaves absorb almost all of the rain (which doesn't happen often). I live a pretty dry area. It's finally the time for rain to happen often. If I lived somewhere like Oregon or Washington (somewhere where it rains a lot) I could see leaving the leaves because there's plenty of water to go around. But just leaving the leaves to sit there and steal all the moisture from the grass is NOT a good thing. And there was almost three inches of leaves on top of the grass (mostly why I complained, cuz that's a LOT of leaves).

So I can see the point in picking up the leaves because of this.

On the other hand, I agree with you, that picking up leaves is a pretty dumb idea. It does decompose into the earth, supplying the plants with nutrients. But when I mow, I leave the cut grass on the lawn. So the grass does get nutrients.

--------------------

Offlinelil_demented
Loner will lone
Male User Gallery
Re: Fuck Raking... [Re: Chibikitty]
    #17353059 - 12/07/12 11:06 PM (11 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

Gumby said:
Quote:

Hiker said:
What is the point of using gas or power to blow leaves around? Every year you collect the fallen leaves, you're needlessly removing more and more organic matter and nutrients that the trees have extracted from the soil. It just doesn't make sense when the only benefit is that "it looks clean."

Quote:

Chibikitty said:
Quote:

Hiker said:
Quote:

anunnakian said:
That or just people keeping their lawn proper looking while feeding them the proper nutrients.
Also, maybe certain leaves are not proper for certain nutrients :shrug:

I don't think I understand what you're trying to say..

I'm not talking about OP in particular.. i'm just philosophizing about lawns and raking in general. Lawns used to be a pretty rare phenomenon, something restricted to royalty and other wealthy people who could afford to pay people to maintain them. Nowadays with fossil fuels, it's no longer cost prohibitive and everyone seems to have one in the suburbs and even rural areas.

Is it an obsession with cleanliness or what? Why do housing organizations enforce these rules? Is it purely aesthetics?

Well, you have to realize that the leaves absorb almost all of the rain (which doesn't happen often). I live a pretty dry area. It's finally the time for rain to happen often. If I lived somewhere like Oregon or Washington (somewhere where it rains a lot) I could see leaving the leaves because there's plenty of water to go around. But just leaving the leaves to sit there and steal all the moisture from the grass is NOT a good thing. And there was almost three inches of leaves on top of the grass (mostly why I complained, cuz that's a LOT of leaves).

So I can see the point in picking up the leaves because of this.

On the other hand, I agree with you, that picking up leaves is a pretty dumb idea. It does decompose into the earth, supplying the plants with nutrients. But when I mow, I leave the cut grass on the lawn. So the grass does get nutrients.

If you don't pick up the leaves then only the quick growing plants will flourish in the area. This will in turn make the under brush grow quickly which will cause it to be a major pain in the ass to mow in the future. Thus the reason I mulch my leaves up with the mower. The rather harsh winter will break them down nicely.

OfflineChibikitty

Re: Fuck Raking... [Re: lil_demented]
    #17361246 - 12/09/12 01:59 PM (11 years, 3 months ago)

I have a mower, but it's the kind without a bag... so either way, I'm going to have to rake the leaves up.

I got the front yard done. Now it's just the back. Though, there's snow on the ground. It's sunny, so the snow will be all melted by tomorrow. Yay for snow!

--------------------

Offlinempd
Lammen Gorthaur
Male User Gallery

Loc: Mostly at home... Mostly....
    #17362728 - 12/09/12 05:22 PM (11 years, 3 months ago)

Keep at it!  Determination wins the day win sore backs wane!

--------------------
There is no truer calling for mankind than that of true conservatism.

OfflineChibikitty

Re: Fuck Raking... [Re: mpd]
    #17362776 - 12/09/12 05:28 PM (11 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

mpd said:
Keep at it!  Determination wins the day win sore backs wane!

Thanks!

By the way, I love your picture! Just watched all three LOTR movies in IMAX yesterday from 11:30am till 12:00pm. My bum hurts, but it was worth it! So awesome! They were the extended cut too! I love the part with the guy at the gate (your picture). AWESOME!

--------------------

Offlinempd
Lammen Gorthaur
Male User Gallery

Loc: Mostly at home... Mostly....
    #17362966 - 12/09/12 06:02 PM (11 years, 3 months ago)

Yes, The Mouth of Sauron was an intense character.  They should have done the dialogue exactly as it was in the book as it made for a real intense scene, but the way they resolved the scene was just as intense.  Great movies~  The director's cut is just awwwwesome!  Glad you enjoyed it.  Have you read the trilogy?

K++

--------------------
There is no truer calling for mankind than that of true conservatism.

OfflineChibikitty

Re: Fuck Raking... [Re: mpd]
    #17363013 - 12/09/12 06:10 PM (11 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

mpd said:
Yes, The Mouth of Sauron was an intense character.  They should have done the dialogue exactly as it was in the book as it made for a real intense scene, but the way they resolved the scene was just as intense.  Great movies~  The director's cut is just awwwwesome!  Glad you enjoyed it.  Have you read the trilogy?

K++

I have not read the books yet. But as soon as I'm done reading my current book, I'm going to read them. My boyfriend has all three.

It was an awesome scene. I look forward to seeing how it is in the book :smile:

PS: What is K++?

--------------------

OfflinePsyloFreak
spore art

Re: Fuck Raking... [Re: granite.soul]
    #27634673 - 01/27/22 03:28 AM (2 years, 2 months ago)

Amen to that! Bless the man who invented mulching mowers. Also clumps of it are great to spread across my old garden which happens to be a spent cake graveyard. Hopefully in the spring I will be greeted by a nice surprise one foggy spring morning. :mushroom2:

--------------------
R.I.P. Dad - I will love you and keep you in my heart and memories always.
01/26/46 - 04/10/22

OfflinePsyloFreak
spore art

#27634679 - 01/27/22 03:43 AM (2 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

4runner said:
Quote:

k00laid said:
you bitches dont know how to do manual labor properly if your back is hurtin.

fix your posture noobs :lol:

I was going to say that's pretty a mean thing to say, but then this thread is about raking leaves, not manual labor.

I don't rake leaves anymore, fuck it, let em rot into the ground, I got plenty of over stuff to compost.

I agree. They provide a good habit for harmless and beneficial bugs, bacteria, and of course our mutual friend...fungi. These organisms decompose the years of collecting leaves and turn them into rich topsoil. Cycle of life.

But back to the thread, raking blows but again I am a lazy bastard and don't like things that sound suspiciously like work. I have a weed whacker that I can put a leaf blower attachment on. I use it to clean my porch and walkways. I don't care what the weeds everywhere in my front yard look like and the only time leaves get mulched is when it gets tall.

--------------------
R.I.P. Dad - I will love you and keep you in my heart and memories always.
01/26/46 - 04/10/22

Jump to top Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3  [ show all ]

Shop: MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom