Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   North Spore Bulk Substrate   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinetom of alchemy
Stranger
 User Gallery

Loc: Inner space
Glove box with toilet flanges
    #17347745 - 12/06/12 11:39 PM (11 years, 3 months ago)

Toilet Flange Glove Box

Well, I've learned a lot from the community, so I think I might be able to give back by sharing a glove box using toilet flanges that I designed. 

Materials
1. clear sterilite box with lid

2. 2 3"toilet flanges

3. 2 toilet flange extension rings

4. 16 bolts with matching nuts sized to holes in toilet flanges
5. neoprene or latex gloves
6. silicon caulk
7. cutting tool or soldering iron (for melting plastic instead of burning it.)

8. weather stripping

9. black marker
10. drill with bit matching bolts (maybe)

Construction:
determine where to place holes and using the inside of the toilet flange extension ring as a template, mark this with a marker.

cut out the main arm hole using a razor or soldering iron. I started mine with a razor, but the plastic cracks too easy. I found melting it with soldering iron was easier. Melting plastic produces toxic gasses, so you might want to do this outside. The amount of plastic burning here won't kill you, but still...

Once I cleaned the melted plastic away, I used the flange extension ring as a template again and (on the outside of the container)marked and drilled the first bolt hole.

I applied some silicon to act as a gasket on the contacting surface of the extension ring and toilet flange.

Then I put the toilet flange on the inside of the container opposite the extension ring and connected it with bolt and nut.

I then moved on to mark and drill the second hole. Once the second bolt was in fastened, I marked all the other holes at once and then drilled them.

Install the second toilet flange the same way.

Note on placement of arm holes: I put mine on different sides to allow me to reach different areas in the glove box. I found making them too close together was awkward for me. Still this is personal preference.

With both the flange assemblies on, this can function as a still air box. To make it glove box attach the gloves. The gloves should stretch well over 3" toilet flanges. 4" toilet flanges will start to rip the gloves.

To secure the gloves better, I put some weather stripping down around the toilet flange. The weather stripping has adhesive backing, but also put a rubber band around it to keep it more secure.

The weather stripping will give the glove cuff something to hold to, which will make it difficult to slip off the flange. This will allow you to stretch the glove while in the glove box (which might be needed in reaching things or doing certain task).

Functionality:
Obviously air is not going to be moving in this box and if wiped down with alcohol, it will be very clean and close to sterile (be sure to get the gloves, of course, as well as all the nooks of the flanges where contaminates might hide). Also wipe down items with alcohol before placing them the glove box. Placing all needed items in the the box in this manner before beginning.

Before inoculation, I would recommend flaming the needle outside of the glove box, then placing the syringe in the box and maybe wiping down the tip and syringe with an alcohol wipe once inside. 

Hope this helps.

--------------------
“You realize that people take drugs because it's the only real personal adventure left to them in their time-constrained, law-and-order, property-lined world. It's only in drugs or death we'll see anything new, and death is just too controlling.”
― Chuck Palahniuk, Survivor

Edited by tom of alchemy (12/06/12 11:45 PM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleDeadkndys420
The Psychedelic Messiah
 User Gallery

Loc: In the land of ooo
Re: Glove box with toilet flanges [Re: tom of alchemy]
    #17347755 - 12/06/12 11:41 PM (11 years, 3 months ago)

Nice tek.

--------------------
Almond Flour said:
Thats right. I take it up the ass on a daily. It feels great to finally let this out :gay:

How to use PGP encryption
The Stoner's Cookbook

Invisiblebudmanman
OTD Masterbater
Male

Loc: PNW
Re: Glove box with toilet flanges [Re: Deadkndys420]
    #17347762 - 12/06/12 11:43 PM (11 years, 3 months ago)

I really like this design.

--------------------
Everything I have ever said is total bogus bs I am full of crud therefore everything I say should never be taken literal.

And I am mentally unstable.

Offlineiwannabemro
TOO MUCH FUN!!!
Male

Re: Glove box with toilet flanges [Re: budmanman]
    #17347834 - 12/06/12 11:59 PM (11 years, 3 months ago)

Looks good :thumbup: I'd use 4" toilet rings cause my forearms don't fit through a 3" toilet flange.

--------------------
MexA Fruiting

OfflinePussyFart
Retired Cultivation Extrodinaire
Male

Loc: Orbiting Earth
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Glove box with toilet flanges [Re: budmanman]
    #17347840 - 12/07/12 12:00 AM (11 years, 3 months ago)

A SAB(Still Air Box) is more practical for this hobby than a GB(Glove Box).

That looks way too complicated. A clear tote with 2 arm holes and maybe tyvek sleeves is all you need...attaching gloves seals the box and creates a vaccuum effect, sucking air in and out thru the imperfect lid, again defeating the purpose of a "still air", contam free environment.

What u dont really want to do is attach gloves, not only does it make it awkward to get in and out of, u cannot flame sterilize a needle inside a alcohol fume filled box, its just not healthy, and eyebrows have been lost.

And if u flame sterilize it outside of the box u cant get it in the box to inoculate multiple jars without taking off the lid between each jar.

It does not have to be sterile/sanitary inside the box either, that is not the point...the point is still air, because if the air is still, then no contams can possibly blow around.

Not saying spraying alcohol is a bad thing, because it does help, so does a bleach water soaked towel in the bottom, it will trap the contams that fall.

Edited by PussyFart (12/07/12 12:08 AM)

OfflineMushroorn
Happy To Help
Male

Re: Glove box with toilet flanges [Re: PussyFart]
    #17347848 - 12/07/12 12:02 AM (11 years, 3 months ago)

Pretty cool. Nice write up.

--------------------
If you have any questions concerning growing Psilocybe cubensis via jars and mono-tubs feel free to send me a PM. Sorry, but I cannot help with anything else.

My Trades

Offlinetom of alchemy
Stranger
 User Gallery

Re: Glove box with toilet flanges [Re: iwannabemro]
    #17347875 - 12/07/12 12:09 AM (11 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

iwannabemro said:
Looks good :thumbup: I'd use 4" toilet rings cause my forearms don't fit through a 3" toilet flange.

You might have to find bigger gloves with larger cuffs. The gloves I use in the tek are already extra large. I wanted the huge ones with cuffs that go all the way up the bicep, but couldn't find them in the store. Maybe online.

My prototype (not shown) had 4" flanges and it started to make small rips in the gloves. I was able to make some adaptations with pipe extensions from the pluming department to get it to a more reasonable size.

I'm an average sized man and the 3" flanges are a little tight, but nothing that inhibits functionality.

--------------------
“You realize that people take drugs because it's the only real personal adventure left to them in their time-constrained, law-and-order, property-lined world. It's only in drugs or death we'll see anything new, and death is just too controlling.”

Offlinetom of alchemy
Stranger
 User Gallery

Re: Glove box with toilet flanges [Re: PussyFart]
    #17347926 - 12/07/12 12:20 AM (11 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

Notahacker420 said:
A SAB(Still Air Box) is more practical for this hobby than a GB(Glove Box).

That looks way too complicated. A clear tote with 2 arm holes and maybe tyvek sleeves is all you need...attaching gloves seals the box and creates a vaccuum effect, sucking air in and out thru the imperfect lid, again defeating the purpose of a "still air", contam free environment.

I imagine the flange assembly could be modified to hold a piece of plastic or rubber with cuts in it. This could act as a flap which could seal up when the the arm is retracted as well as form a tighter seal when the arm is inserted. This could be done with two pairs of the flange extensions - allowing for a larger opening.

Or instead of tyvek sleeves, how about just cutting the hands off of the gloves?

--------------------

Edited by tom of alchemy (12/07/12 12:22 AM)

OfflineTrippy_Smurf
Sketchy Mother Fucker
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Smurf Villiage Flag
    #17348028 - 12/07/12 01:05 AM (11 years, 3 months ago)

Your best choice is tevek sleeves and detached nitrile gloves.  Another huge disadvantage of having attached gloves is that you have the option of gloves that are thin enough to allow for dexterity in the box, or heavy enough to survive multiple uses.

--------------------
SECURITY:  READ THIS!

Chef:  Kids, what did I tell you about drugs?
Kids:  There's a time and a place for everything, and it's called college.

How to be a good shroomie    How to grow mushrooms    A collection of good links (may be outdated)    How things should look    How to pass a drug test

InvisibleFrankHorrigan
The Inquisition
Male

Trusted Cultivator
Re: Glove box with toilet flanges [Re: Trippy_Smurf]
    #17348037 - 12/07/12 01:10 AM (11 years, 3 months ago)

Every time you move around in that box with those gloves, you are going to force air through the lid, raining contaminants down on your work.  This pressure change you will cause will ruin your sterile procedures.

Remove the gloves from the holes and use tyvek sleeves as has been suggested. Or prepare for failures :shrug:

--------------------

Yes, you can bump my old threads with a question.
Here is how I get things done.
You should take a look. :hehehe:

Frank's tips and tricks. Updated on 3/21/14
AMU- Get an answer here -AMU

OfflinePussyFart
Male

Trusted Cultivator
Re: Glove box with toilet flanges [Re: FrankHorrigan]
    #17348043 - 12/07/12 01:12 AM (11 years, 3 months ago)

is there an echo in here? lol

Offline11111
Stranger
 User Gallery
    #17348129 - 12/07/12 02:11 AM (11 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

Well, I've learned a lot from the community, so I think I might be able to give back by sharing a glove box using toilet flanges that I designed.

i feel like have have learned a great deal from the forum, and after much research i can guarantee you that this may not work as well as a still air box. I only say so because of what people have mention already, but i learned early on that over complicating things will usually be detrimental.

two holes melted out with a used metal coffee can. working with isolation and have done more than 200 quart G2G transfers all with very minimal contamination. this was my last G2G session (which was a bitch and a half but worth it) and only two jars contam'd which was my fault. (lid fell off two jars some how after the fact) 
(2nd agar dish transfer, potential monoculture. one of 70 dishes similar which i selected down to the 13 best looking for final transfer)
1 of about 5 potential mono cultures yet to test fruit. these 50 ish jars posted marks about 8 months of cultivating but over a year of reserching this forum. I have finished mono tub shots but im more exited to fruit out these isolates i have been working with in my still air box!

InvisibleFooMan
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Earth Flag
Trusted Cultivator
    #17348418 - 12/07/12 05:10 AM (11 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

tom of alchemy said:
I'm an average sized man and the 3" flanges are a little tight, but nothing that inhibits functionality.

Maybe it's because I have a pervy mind, but that line made me laugh for some reason.

In case it isn't already clear, ditch those airtight gloves. Nice use of the toilet flanges though. Looks smooth :yesnod:

--------------------

Quick WBS Prep

OfflinePussyFart
Male

Trusted Cultivator
    #17348432 - 12/07/12 05:20 AM (11 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

tom of alchemy said:
Before inoculation, I would recommend flaming the needle outside of the glove box, then placing the syringe in the box and maybe wiping down the tip and syringe with an alcohol wipe once inside. 

Also never do this, why would you wipe the sterile needle with alcohol that is not sterile.

Makes no sense. Alcohol sanitizes, heat sterilizes.

Offlinetom of alchemy
Stranger
 User Gallery

#17349524 - 12/07/12 11:46 AM (11 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

Trippy_Smurf said:
Your best choice is tevek sleeves and detached nitrile gloves.  Another huge disadvantage of having attached gloves is that you have the option of gloves that are thin enough to allow for dexterity in the box, or heavy enough to survive multiple uses.

I guess some modifications are in order. To make it simple I could cut off the hands of the gloves. I'm not familiar with tyvek sleeves, but neoprene sleeves would be just as well and likely more durable. I would like thinner gloves though. :smirk: The thinner gloves would allow for greater dexterity.

I really have no conception of how the gloves of the glove box create any more or less of a vacuum than a still air box. I you take your arms out of a sab, then that will also create a vacuum and suck air in though any cracks.

I'll make some changes. Pics to come.

--------------------

OfflineMrHadley
Stranger

#17349574 - 12/07/12 11:56 AM (11 years, 3 months ago)

thanks for the info guys

OfflineTrippy_Smurf
Sketchy Mother Fucker
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Smurf Villiage Flag
Re: Glove box with toilet flanges [Re: MrHadley]
    #17349787 - 12/07/12 12:36 PM (11 years, 3 months ago)

You can buy tyvek painters suits at any home improvement or hardware store.  Cut the arms off, use them as sleeves, and then cut up the rest of the suit for filters.

Since the gloves aren't attached in a SAB, and air can flow through the tyvek, you're not creating a vacuum when you pull your arms out.  you'll stir up the air a little bit, but if you misted all 6 sides and everything inside, and you don't have any open containers, it's not a problem.

--------------------
SECURITY:  READ THIS!

Chef:  Kids, what did I tell you about drugs?
Kids:  There's a time and a place for everything, and it's called college.

How to be a good shroomie    How to grow mushrooms    A collection of good links (may be outdated)    How things should look    How to pass a drug test

Offlinebishlap
Po Thead
Male

#17350962 - 12/07/12 04:06 PM (11 years, 3 months ago)

not a bad design,  but
"gloveboxes" are supposed to be air tight or the attached gloves will push and pull air through any available crack,seam or hole.
and there is no such thing as an air tight sterilite container as far as I know.

"Still air box" with just 2 arm holes nothing fancy will be the same pressure inside regardless of arm movement.

also a proper SAB is hard enough to work in without thick gloves removing tactile sensation and restricting movement further.

--------------------
"If you're not worried that you took way
to much, you didn't take enough" -
Terrence McKenna

There is no soul, only the ego dies.
The body was never yours.

OfflineRogerRabbitM
Bans for Pleasure
Male User Gallery

Loc: Seattle
Trusted Cultivator
OG Cultivator
    #17352228 - 12/07/12 07:34 PM (11 years, 3 months ago)

I built one with toilet flanges like that and the problem was I couldn't pivot my arms.  My forearms were essentially locked in position so only my hands could move.  It didn't work out well at all.  The other problem as already said comes when time to flame-sterilize.  You can't do that in a glovebox.
RR

--------------------
Download Let's Grow Mushrooms

semper in excretia sumus solim profundum variat

"I've never had a failed experiment.  I've only discovered 10,000 methods which do not work."
Thomas Edison

InvisibleSpitballJedi
Ancient Astronaut
Male User Gallery

Loc: Nibiru Flag
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Glove box with toilet flanges [Re: RogerRabbit]
    #17352293 - 12/07/12 07:52 PM (11 years, 3 months ago)

is it beneficial to cover your arms when inside a SAB?

--------------------
The Basics
A little civility goes a long way

The Noob Forum
The Hammock Hangers' Forum

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   North Spore Bulk Substrate   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures