Home | Community | Message Board

Kraken Kratom
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Contamination Forum

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, Agar, HEPA Filter

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflineJuice7
Spiritualist!!!
need help quick
    #1734921 - 07/21/03 02:49 PM (13 years, 4 months ago)

before i throw out 7 jars :frown:
is there anyway to get rid of green mold in jars that have just started ????

thanks

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflineTheHobbit
Pot Head Pixie

Loc: the Oily Way...
Re: need help quick [Re: Juice7]
    #1734939 - 07/21/03 02:55 PM (13 years, 4 months ago)

I'd toss them, to be perfectly honest, and use it as a learning experience...you might have a chance by cutting out the infected area, and a generous piece surrounding it, you might get lucky, but it might be most wirthwhile to just start over and reconsider how you prepared from a cleanliness perspective (did you use the 'oven tek' when innoculating?).

OfflineJuice7
Spiritualist!!!
Re: need help quick [Re: TheHobbit]
    #1734990 - 07/21/03 03:14 PM (13 years, 4 months ago)

no i didnt use the oven tek

to be honest ive never even heard of the oven tek for innoculating

do you have a link?

thanks hobbit

OfflineTheHobbit
Pot Head Pixie

Loc: the Oily Way...
Re: need help quick [Re: Juice7]
    #1735228 - 07/21/03 04:17 PM (13 years, 4 months ago)

Captain's Oven Tek

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Here is a method I've been using for over 15 years. If you follow it correctly you can open/close jars, do inoculations etc all while staying sterile. First you need an expensive piece of equipment, an oven. Lucky for most we have already made that investment. If you don't have a oven, don't buy one, go get a HEPA filter instead. Now for those of you with ovens. Turn your oven on the lowest heat setting. Pull one of the racks out far enough that you can set stuff on it and also work on it. Place your jar/sporeprint/agar on the rack and open it, only after the oven has heated up and there is a steady flow of warm air rising. The steady flow of air will keep anything from dropping on the jars. As long as you use a breather, or don't breath close to the jars. Of course everything else needs to be sterile, knives/loops/hands so that you don't contaminate things that way. Basically this will stop all Airborne particles. Anything else needs to be clean. If you don't have an oven, or your racks don't pull out nicely, you can build a rack above a range and turn it on, same principle. I've tested this many times over, even have won bets after leaving jars open for 30mins + on the rack and not having any of them contaminated. In theory, a fan should work the same way, say a fan underneath a rack, but it doesn't, I've also tested that. Any jar open more than 10mins with a fan under it has been contaminated, shrug. I figured I'd post this since I've been doing this for 20 years and never heard/read about anyone using this technique, but it works quite well. I don't see many people inoculating jars with live mycelium either, but using this technique you can inoculate all you like with mycelium and it cuts colonization time down by 4-5 days. In terms you all would understand I get fully colonized 1/2pint PF cakes in 4-5 days. Slightly different mixture than the PF cakes tho. I guess I just need to post my whole method, since I can constantly get mushrooms from spores to fruit in 3 weeks, and anything I've read on the internet has said 6 weeks +. Also, I believe the dosage of PC shown on the internet is a very poor representation of how much you should take. I've seen recommended starting dosages at 2 dried grams. I don't know anyone who thinks 2 dried grams is a good place to start, most people I trip with never do more than 1.5. But this may just be a potency issue? Or it may just be we are old. But even when I was young I never did more than 3 dried grams. I don't even know anyone in 20 years that has done more than 5 dried grams. Anyone that ever wanted to do that much I made them do 3 dried grams first, then asked them if they wanted to do 5. No one has taken me up on it yet;). Ok I guess I'm just rambling now. I'll get bored and type up an entire 3 week method, or at least the good parts.

OfflineMAIA
World-BridgerKartikeya (DftS)
Male User Gallery

Loc: Erra - 20 Tauri - M45 Sta...
Re: need help quick [Re: TheHobbit]
    #1735490 - 07/21/03 05:39 PM (13 years, 4 months ago)

Juice7, there's not much you can do now.
The jars, what is the % of colonization ?

TheHobbit, thanks for the reminder, you can type on the subject any time. As for the oven tek goes, many of us use it and recomend it, i now use a glove box but i used to do the oven tek not so longer ago.

MAIA

--------------------
Spiritual being, living a human experience ... The Shroomery Mandala

Use, do not abuse; neither abstinence nor excess ever renders man happy.
Voltaire

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, Agar, HEPA Filter

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Contamination Forum