Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
InvisibleHippie3
mycotopiate
 User Gallery

Loc: mycotopia.net
The Hominy Project
    #1734411 - 07/21/03 08:39 AM (20 years, 8 months ago)

just wanted to share some exciting work being done over at mycotopia.net by one of our mycotopiates, cubester1.
here's some c & p of his posts on hominy.
Quote:

By cubester1 (Cubester1) on Sunday, June 29, 2003 - 01:10 am: Edit

A few weeks ago in a pop corn tek discusion I brought up the idea of using Homony. No one posted a response so..being the curiouse one that I am I decided to give it a shot. I picked up a can of Homony at the local grocer. Drained it. Filled a full pint about 3/4 full. PC'd it for 45 minutes. I then transfered a few small pieces of myc. from a sterile BRF cake. The first 2 days things looked to be going no where. I had written the project off about 80%, thinking there must be preservatives in the Homony. But...on day three I awoke and hee is what we have.

Quote:

This is quite an explosion. Considering only 24 hours before there was almost no growth. The dark area within is just some vermic that got in with the transfer, no worries of contams so far. Now the question..why use Homony??? Not real sure of the possibilites yet. But it does look like it may be worth more investigation on this end.

ok, that was his first post, and we all pretty much just blew him off.
but he's a persistant fellow and came back with more later in a contest thread we have running.
here's the next post.
Quote:

Okay now I was basically ridiculed for mentioning this earlier but... Thus far I'm finding that the "Hominy Project" is turning out very well. Now granted for the large scale grower or more advanced grower it may not be the thing. For the new guy I think it could be a great starter.
There is no mixing of ingredients and little preparation on this method. A can of Hominy is ONLY 37 cents, that less than 3 bucks for 12 jars. Pretty cheap 2 cans will do 3 1/2 pints. This is cheaper than buying BRF and Vermic. Plus you just need to drain the extra liquid off the hominy dump into the jars and PC or boil. Then Innoc. Very easy and painless. This is 2 1/2 weeks after innoc. Will post more as this progresses

so there you have it, that's what we have so far.

here's a quickie recipe for making hominy, if anyone cares to, but it seems more likely that just buying hominy at your local grocery store and dumping the contents, once drained, into the jars for pc'ing might be a great alternative for some.
Quote:

Making Home Made Hominy
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Recipe by Brandie
Hominy, simply, is hulled corn, whole, coarsly broken or ground into small pieces of about the same size. Sometimes hominy is called samp, especially when it is very coarse. Pearl hominy is whole grain hominy with the hulls removed by machinery. Lye hominy is whole grain hominy cooked in lye water. Granulated hominy is a ground form and hominy grits are broken grains. When I was a kid I had a girlfriend whose grandmother was a wounderful southern lady. They always had grits for breakfast, but they were served as a side dish to ham, eggs and biscuits, as a substitute for potatoes. Everyone eats them differently, but they are good with just butter and salt. Some people put their fried eggs on top, or homestyle gravy with biscuits and grits is another country type breakfast. The following recipe describes the lye method of removing the hulls.

1 qt. dry field corn
4 qt. water
1 oz. lye
Place in an enameled kettle and boil vigorously for 1/2 hour, then let stand for 20 minutes. Rinse several times with hot water, then rinse with cool water until you can handle the hominy to rub off the dark tips of the kernels. Float away the tips. Add water to cover hominy one-inch and boil 5 minutes.
Drain and repeat 4 times, then cook 1/2 hour or until kernels are tender.

Pack in 6 sterilized pint jars; add 1/4 teaspoon salt to each jar. Cover with boiling water; adjust lids and process in pressure canner, 240 degrees at 10 pounds pressure, 60 minutes. (If using quart jars, process 70 minutes.) This recipe will yield 6 pints of hominy.

i'll post more to this as more results become available.

--------------------
Admin @ mycotopia.net
Mycotopia

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleHippie3
mycotopiate
 User Gallery

Re: The Hominy Project [Re: Hippie3]
    #1734419 - 07/21/03 08:50 AM (20 years, 8 months ago)

ok, i just searched your database here and only found one post, by 'baby hitler' wherein he suggested to someone interested in cream of wheat to try a can of hominy instead.
you out there mr. hitler ?
what do you know about hominy ?
did find a post by 6tango, a c & p of nute levels in various substrates that included hominy.
but that's about it.

--------------------
Admin @ mycotopia.net
Mycotopia

OfflineJovialLeprechaun
reasonableperson
    #1734809 - 07/21/03 12:02 PM (20 years, 8 months ago)

big thanks to you and baby_hitler for that popcorn thread in advanced, i've been having amazing results with it. peace.

--------------------
I am a reasonable person.

InvisibleHippie3
mycotopiate
 User Gallery

Re: The Hominy Project [Re: JovialLeprechaun]
    #1735616 - 07/21/03 04:16 PM (20 years, 8 months ago)

i'm glad to hear you like it,
the real credit for popcorn goes to the swedes,
all we did is follow their lead.
same thing here, cubester made the initial discovery,
and i think i smell a good idea so i'm making it my job to spred the word,
and prove the tek.
we got a couple cases of cheap hominy and we're setting up a test project to demonstrate this alternative.
cubester should have some fruiting before long
but we need more evidence, more examples.
people in this hobby tend to be pretty conservative,
and they don't like trying new ideas until it's been proven to work well.
but you gotta admit, a substrate that's ready-to-use right out of a can is potentially a pretty good tek for the small timers and the newbies. maybe even a few oldtimers as well,
esp. the lazy ones like me.
:cool:

--------------------
Admin @ mycotopia.net
Mycotopia

Invisiblepussycontrol
unregistered

Loc: unregistered
    #1735683 - 07/21/03 04:31 PM (20 years, 8 months ago)

damn hippie sockin it to the kids once again... good job sharing info.
we just cant stop at one thing can we. lol :smile:

btw. what is homoney? what department of grocerystore.

OnlineBaby_Hitler
Errorist
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: To the limit!
    #1735739 - 07/21/03 04:45 PM (20 years, 8 months ago)

Heil!

Hominy should sterilize quite easily since it has already been sterilized in the can at the factory. Just draining it, dumping it in a jar, and boiling it should be plenty.

I've never tried it. Some brands may be too salty.I'm glad somebody finally tried it out. cubester1 has joined you me, and Effed as Bona Fide Children of the Corn!

--------------------
"America: Fuck yeah!" -- Alexthegreat

“Nothing can now be believed which is seen in a newspaper. Truth itself becomes suspicious by being put into that polluted vehicle. The real extent of this state of misinformation is known only to those who are in situations to confront facts within their knowledge with the lies of the day.”  -- Thomas Jefferson

The greatest sin of mankind is ignorance.

The press takes [Trump] literally, but not seriously; his supporters take him seriously, but not literally. --Salena Zeto (9/23/16)

InvisibleHippie3
mycotopiate
 User Gallery

Re: The Hominy Project [Re: pussycontrol]
    #1735888 - 07/21/03 05:32 PM (20 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

pussycontrol said:
damn hippie sockin it to the kids once again... good job sharing info.
we just cant stop at one thing can we. lol :smile:

btw. what is homoney? what department of grocerystore. 

should find it near the other canned veggies, maybe close to the corn.
my mom used to feed it to us when i was a kid, kinda mealy swollen corn.

--------------------
Admin @ mycotopia.net
Mycotopia

InvisibleHippie3
mycotopiate
 User Gallery

Re: The Hominy Project [Re: Baby_Hitler]
    #1735907 - 07/21/03 05:39 PM (20 years, 8 months ago)

i agree whole-heartedly,
it should be pretty damn sterile right out of the can,
no pesky endospores to worry about.
salt may be a concern but apparently it didn't stop cubester,
i know from other experiments by another mycotopiate over in europe that cubie mycellia can tolerate and even grow with low salt levels,
he's been using an over-the-counter bagged saline/dextrose mixture for liquid cultures, the real shame is that stuff he's using over there is a prescription item in the USA, used for kidney dialysis.
a bit off-topic i know but the point being,
salt may not be the problem we think.
at least, at low levels.

--------------------
Admin @ mycotopia.net
Mycotopia

OnlineBaby_Hitler
Errorist
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #1735944 - 07/21/03 05:53 PM (20 years, 8 months ago)

Someone tried canned corn without success. They blamed it on the salt. It may have been something else.

--------------------

“Nothing can now be believed which is seen in a newspaper. Truth itself becomes suspicious by being put into that polluted vehicle. The real extent of this state of misinformation is known only to those who are in situations to confront facts within their knowledge with the lies of the day.”  -- Thomas Jefferson

The press takes [Trump] literally, but not seriously; his supporters take him seriously, but not literally. --Salena Zeto (9/23/16)

InvisibleHippie3
mycotopiate
 User Gallery

#1736000 - 07/21/03 06:09 PM (20 years, 8 months ago)

alot of stuff can be gotten 'salt-free' at better stores,
i'll look around and see if that's an option.
but his colonized, a bit slower than regular popcorn it's true but not too bad.
and we don't even have any reason to believe he ever shook his jars after growth to help speed it up as with other grains, that might help some.
from his pix, the mycellia covered the kernels very well so perhaps just a quick rinse to get off any salt leftover from the canning water would suffice.
ah well, we'll know a lot more in a week or two in that regard,
we've already got several mycotopiates hard at work, pc'ing hominy as we speak.
here's another tip that just came in-
Quote:

By john q. public (Jqpindahouse) on Monday, July 21, 2003 - 11:38 pm: Edit

If you live an area with a latin population, go to one of the supermercado's (supermarket) for cheap prices on hominy. I know someone who bought a 6 pound can for $2.50 and has it PC'ing already.

that works out to ~$.416 a pound,
4 cents more than cubester paid but still not too terrible when you consider it's already cooked, the time i save on cooking grain alone would cover the cost difference.

btw, in case anyone wonders at the apparent discrepancy between the posting times, i should point out that mycotopia runs on world time, GMT, which is 6 hours ahead of the US east coast. not counting daylight savings time, which would add another hour.

--------------------
Admin @ mycotopia.net
Mycotopia

Edited by Hippie3 (07/22/03 07:46 AM)

InvisibleHippie3
mycotopiate
 User Gallery

#1736048 - 07/21/03 06:26 PM (20 years, 8 months ago)

after-thought.
it might be relevant vis a vis the salt issue the fact that cubester used live mycellia instead of spores.
perhaps salt acts similar to peroxide, killing spores but letting mycellia survive.
pure speculation, but it's another variable to consider.

--------------------
Admin @ mycotopia.net
Mycotopia

Offlineresin
Ghetto Monster
Male User Gallery

Loc: Ca$hville
    #1736177 - 07/21/03 07:29 PM (20 years, 8 months ago)

I think popcorn works well enough. I Dont think his growth was any faster than regular popcorn. I usually cannot see any growth in quarts for 3 days then boom the 4th day I have like 30% colonization. Thanks Hitler, Hippie, and the swiss for the popcorn thread

InvisibleHippie3
mycotopiate
 User Gallery

Re: The Hominy Project [Re: resin]
    #1736207 - 07/21/03 07:43 PM (20 years, 8 months ago)

swedes, not swiss.
but otherwise, very true.
but one other factor to consider-
i don't think he even shook it up,
he never mentions doing so.
shaking it once after the initial burst of growth might speed it up considerably, as with other grains.
the real advantage, if any, is the ease of just opening a can of instant substrate. no pre-soak, no boiling, just drain and rinse, etc.
besides, it's a bit early yet to guage average colonization speed for hominy, his project was extremely small scale, just a one jar.
we'll see how it goes from here.
not saying this is better,
just an possible alternative worth exploring a bit more, i already dismissed it once, don't want to make the same mistake twice. i'm confident that someone out there will find canned hominy to be useful in their quest for the magic.
and remember, the popcorn thread started out alot like this one, it's only because a few of us ran with an idea and showed the results that others are now reaping the rewards.

--------------------
Admin @ mycotopia.net
Mycotopia

Edited by Hippie3 (08/03/03 09:19 AM)

Invisiblepussycontrol
unregistered

#1736278 - 07/21/03 08:12 PM (20 years, 8 months ago)

Hippie has a point. and a good one at that. Im runnning with this idea and ill figure out somethin.
Ill post results ..

Hey hip so spores wouldnt work out huh? ill try that or some liq dex tonight. that guy from myco did a tissue trans or a agar plate trans.???

InvisibleHippie3
mycotopiate
 User Gallery

#1736329 - 07/21/03 08:27 PM (20 years, 8 months ago)

he did a tissue transfer from a pf cake but that doesn't mean spores won't work.
as of yet, we simply don't know if they'll work, but i'll bet they will.
but unfortunately cubester is only an occasional poster, a relative newbie to the scene, and his pilot project was quite limited, just the two posts and 2 pix is all i'm going on right now.
so it's guys like you and me that need to shoulder the responsibility and burden of figuring out the details as we work thru it.
but i'm sure not the only mad scientist around.
we'll figure this thing out one way or the other before too long.

--------------------
Admin @ mycotopia.net
Mycotopia

Invisiblepussycontrol
unregistered

#1736376 - 07/21/03 08:40 PM (20 years, 8 months ago)

Yeah theres something to it he may have done. im thinking of experimenting on a perx3% rinse on 2. fast rinse on 2. no rinse on 2. and maybe some thing else too.
Im fillin the 21qt pc with em so im gonna get busy with this.

they also seem to look like theyd hole more water too. ill post right away. pussy.

InvisibleHippie3
mycotopiate
 User Gallery

#1736406 - 07/21/03 08:48 PM (20 years, 8 months ago)

great, i appreciate your helping to figure this out.
btw, i proly should mention that, much like corn,
hominy comes in two colors i know of,
white and yellow.
cubester used yellow as you can see in his pix,
but i doubt it makes a difference which you get,
just as with popcorn. the only difference is it might be rather hard to distinguish the mycellia on white hominy.

--------------------
Admin @ mycotopia.net
Mycotopia

OfflineRBX
poop
    #1737168 - 07/22/03 01:33 AM (20 years, 8 months ago)

I might try this as spawn....It seems to have colonized very well, perfect for spawning some compost I got. I might wait for some more reports though.

--------------------
Peace

Offlineblackout
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: The Hominy Project [Re: RBX]
    #1737452 - 07/22/03 05:06 AM (20 years, 8 months ago)

lentils come in tins too, i was put off ages ago by people saying the salt means it wont work. i also wondered about sterile hemp seed, but some said it came from sterile plants and it wasnt actually sterilized, but im not certain of that. another idea is to get salt free lentils. wipe the can with bleach and make a 2 small holes. let the can drain and inject straight into the can, only problem is you cant see how colonisation is going and you may not be able to shake them well, but i find most drained cans have a good bit of headspace, air exchange may be a problem, but it would be sweet opening a can with a opener and finding ready to spawn grain inside.

OfflineAnnoA
Experimenter
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: my room
Re: The Hominy Project [Re: blackout]
    #1737579 - 07/22/03 06:59 AM (20 years, 8 months ago)

>i also wondered about sterile hemp seed, but some said it came from
>sterile plants and it wasn't actually sterilized

It is radioactively sterilized in terms of "made non fertile". It?s not sterile in terms of "contaminant free".
I tried it twice as substrate, it sucked.

InvisibleHippie3
mycotopiate
 User Gallery

Re: The Hominy Project [Re: RBX]
    #1737669 - 07/22/03 08:00 AM (20 years, 8 months ago)

that's my thinking as well,
it might make good spawn.
it bears pointing out that cubester, being a relative newbie [not that that's bad, it did help him feel free to try new things], apparently just made a hominy cake of sorts.
from the last pic, it appears he's trying to fruit it intact,
with a verm. casing like a PF cake.
this seems likely to be the case seeing as how his source for the
transfered mycellia came from a pf cake.

this brings up a second point related to speed of colonization.
i've edited a couple of my initial posts now to reflect this,
but the point being that his 2nd pic is at 2.5 weeks from the tissue transfer, which someone implied was a bit slow.
but it occurs now to me that he very likely never shook the jars to speed growth like we do with grains, since it was a cake, which we don't shake.
if he had put his hominy in quarts only 2/3's full and then shaken then once after say that 30% growth mark, like we do when we're making spawn, then the jars may well have finished much faster.

--------------------
Admin @ mycotopia.net
Mycotopia

InvisibleHippie3
mycotopiate
 User Gallery

#1737680 - 07/22/03 08:10 AM (20 years, 8 months ago)

blackout,
yeah,
the do-it-all-in-one-can idea crossed my mind too.
but i'm thinking you'd want to take the can, poke the two holes
like you say, drain out the water.
then i'd cover the holes with tyvek or microporous tape [hell even duct tape if that's all you got].
then i'd boil the entire can, keeping the holes above water with a foil cover like pf jars.
then once it cools, slide your needle thru a hole and inoculate. cover the needle hole with more tape.
wait say 3 weeks [shake once at 10 days] and open a can of insta-spawn.
that'd be great and it's well worth a try,
just think- no jars at all.
that alone would be a great improvement.

--------------------
Admin @ mycotopia.net
Mycotopia

Offlineblackout
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #1737723 - 07/22/03 09:00 AM (20 years, 8 months ago)

Hippie- i would think it is sterile from the canning process. i always thought they heated all canned goods to high temps to sterilise. it would be great for people without a pc to be able to do grains without worry of contamination, especially those who are in 2 minds about getting a PC who have never tried grains before. i dont think reboiling the can is necessary, just use microporous tape as you say, it is not too much hassle though.

i wonder if a glass jar of grains would be as sterile as a can. i have never seen glass jars of grain though. if you went to a wholesaler or catering supplier they may have great stuff

google should have lots of info. heres a link i found
http://www.mealtime.org/about/about_history.aspx

quote "Heat sufficient to destroy microorganisms is applied to foods packed into sealed, or "airtight" containers. The canned foods are then heated under steam pressure at temperatures of 240-250?F (116-121?C). The amount of time needed for processing is different for each food, depending on the food's acidity, density and ability to transfer heat. For example, tomatoes require less time than green beans, while corn and pumpkin require far more time.

Processing conditions are chosen to be the minimum needed to ensure that foods are commercially sterile, but retain the greatest flavor and nutrition. All processes must be approved by the U.S. Food and Drug Administration. Once the cans are sealed and heat processed, the food maintains its high eating quality for more than two years and is safe to eat as long as the container is not damaged in any way. And, like the home canning process, no preservatives are added or necessary."

InvisibleMeat_Log_Smurf
FumbDuck

Loc: BFE
    #1737737 - 07/22/03 09:13 AM (20 years, 8 months ago)

Damn Hippie you is the Hominy Master. Bye the way what on Gods green earth is hominy? Is it psudocorn or what? Hitler has a point about it being already very sterile. It should only need to be nuked for the 30 minute sterilization period and thats it.

InvisibleHippie3
mycotopiate
 User Gallery

#1737774 - 07/22/03 09:50 AM (20 years, 8 months ago)

yes, blackout, it would be sterile until you open it.
but as you drain fluid out,
air will be sucked back into the can.
so unless you do that in front of a flowhood, glovebox, etc. then you'd proly want to at least boil it once
you got it re-sealed after draining.
just to be safe, you might get away with not doing so
in a nice clean room just sprayed with lysol, etc.
but i would expect to lose a few if you do.

--------------------
Admin @ mycotopia.net
Mycotopia

Offlinedoo
addict -crazy as a shithouse rat
 User Gallery

Loc: Slingshit, China
Re: The Hominy Project [Re: Meat_Log_Smurf]
    #1737855 - 07/22/03 10:27 AM (20 years, 8 months ago)

Hominy is corn. Hominy grits are larger than (regular)grits. I wonder if the small grits would work as well. Hominy, being larger pieces, would probably not compact as much as the smaller size grits,giving you good air flow. But I wonder if the smaller grits may produce faster growth than the hominy.
Just a thought anyway.

:cool:I'm gonna have to check out Hippies site for more interesting substrates.There may be other breakfast foods that would work.Maybe I could try Lucky Charms........ they are after all, "magically delicious"...........heheheh.......... :wink: :grin: :wink:

doo

--------------------
- Arguing with a woman, is like trying to blow out a light bulb-

InvisibleHippie3
mycotopiate
 User Gallery

Re: The Hominy Project [Re: Meat_Log_Smurf]
    #1738022 - 07/22/03 11:24 AM (20 years, 8 months ago)

it's corn that's been specially treated to remove the hulls, it looks like swollen corn.
find it right next to the canned corn at your grocery.
mine was 37 cents for 15.5 ounces,
14% sodium [there were brands with as much as 24%]
just buy the cheap generic stuff, it had less salt than the more expensive.

--------------------
Admin @ mycotopia.net
Mycotopia

Offlineblackout
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #1740380 - 07/23/03 02:57 AM (20 years, 8 months ago)

Hippie- yeah i never thought of the air being sucked in. if a person has a flowhood then they most likely have a pc and will sterilise their own. could hold a lighter over the hole sucking in air or put the porous tape over it so it gets filtered (may take hour to drain though)

i bought a can of brown lentils last night and microwaved them in a jar for about 20mins to get the moisture down. i rinsed them well, they were very salty. injected with some PF honey water an hour ago.

Edited by blackout (07/23/03 02:58 AM)

InvisibleHippie3
mycotopiate
 User Gallery

#1740544 - 07/23/03 07:00 AM (20 years, 8 months ago)

prepped a can-o-insta-spawn last night,
basically poked two holes with icepick,
drained off fluid,
then i submerged can under water to re-fill,
drained off salt,
repeated, drained until quit dripping,
taped the holes, covered with tyvek
and steamed 1 hour.
just inoculated so we'll know more soon.
having done one can now,
i think next time i'd just use a can opener to
remove the entire lid,
make draining and rinsing easier,
and then cover with double layer of tyvek
held on by rubberbands. cover most of the tyvek with duct tape after innoculation to prevent drying.
i tested rubberbands in the pc and they came thru just fine.
so i think that would be easy, just to use the can as a jar,
still can't see in but it's no worse than leaving the lid on.
we'll get some going ASAP in that manner and see how that goes.

p.s.
snafu.
our friend noticed, when he went to inoculate, that there was way too much water pooling in the bottoms of the jars so he's re-doing it with 1/4 cup of verm tossed in to soak up the excess.
after he told me this, i got to thinking and it occured to me that some verm in there might be one good way to get around the salt. if the spores land on any verm. chunks and germinate before hitting the corn, then it's be more like cubester's tissue transfer with the tiny bits of verm still attached, you'd have live mycellia on the salt-free verm then able to handle the salt problem, if there is one, better than perhaps spores could.
am i making any sense y'all ?

--------------------
Admin @ mycotopia.net
Mycotopia

Edited by Hippie3 (07/23/03 05:04 PM)

Offlineblackout
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #1754743 - 07/28/03 02:26 AM (20 years, 8 months ago)

lentils are colonising. i think moisture will be a problem if the can is just drained. it took 20mins microwaving to get it down to what looked ok

InvisibleHippie3
mycotopiate
 User Gallery

#1755361 - 07/28/03 07:15 AM (20 years, 8 months ago)

interesting.
so you think the water content on your lentils was originally too high ? what led to that conclusion ?
as for our hominy, it's now a bit less than 96 hours [4 days] since inoculation with spores and there's no apparent signs of life yet.
but it's still too early to draw conclusions.

--------------------
Admin @ mycotopia.net
Mycotopia

Offlineblackout
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #1755381 - 07/28/03 07:28 AM (20 years, 8 months ago)

just seemed very wet they were all sodden down the bottom of the jar. now it has begun to colonise it seems a bit dry. i injected about 5cc of honey water. i may have to add more water.

OnlineBaby_Hitler
Errorist
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #1756294 - 07/28/03 01:26 PM (20 years, 8 months ago)

Microwaves are terrible for drying things in. The oven works much better, sometimes too good.

--------------------

Offlineblackout
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #1758524 - 07/29/03 02:09 AM (20 years, 8 months ago)

shake it every few minutes and you are fine

OnlineBaby_Hitler
Errorist
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #1758601 - 07/29/03 02:46 AM (20 years, 8 months ago)

I microwaved some tiny wet cardboard discs in glass tubes for nearly 15 minutes, and they were still just as soggy as when they went in.

--------------------

Offlineblackout
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #1759321 - 07/29/03 10:40 AM (20 years, 8 months ago)

if they are very small the microwaves can miss them, most microwaves have hot spots and cold spots, thats why rotating plates came in and why you must really shake bottles of baby milk.

InvisibleHippie3
mycotopiate
 User Gallery

#1760887 - 07/29/03 07:57 PM (20 years, 7 months ago)

finally heard back from cubester,
here's his post.
Quote:

Holy crap guys! Didn't realize what i had started with this idea. Sorry for not getting on this sooner had no idea about the project your working here Hip. I'll just start by throwing in how I did it. Very simply I just opened the can drained off the extra water. I actually just cut the lid about 1/2 way and set it upside down for about 10-15 mintes. Then I just dumped it in the jar. It seems like I may have also drained a bit of the extra water off ater I put the hominey in the jar itself. Then I just pc'd it like you would any thing else. There was a slight bit of moisture in the bottom of the jar,not much just a little. This excess moisture was absorbed within a few days with out any problems. You may need to flip the jara few times to let it all soak in. Outside of that I just let it sit. Now the unfortunate part of the whole story. I only did one jar because I had no idea what might come of it. So the jar came out looking great for about a week then it happened....the greenie meanies got me! I got hit pretty hard about 1/2 of my pf cakes were wiped out as well. I don't think it had any thing to do with the hominy though. I actually still have the hominey cake going even though it's contamed pretty bad and it's actualy pinning today. (i'm not planning on consuming the fruits) So all looks well for the project (not the cake!) I'm glad to see some one picking up the idea as I'll be stepping out from growing for a while. Just to take a bit of a break. Wish I would have found out a little earlier in my growing cycle but I'm sure I'll find more time to play with this one in the future. Good luck guys! I'll post pics in a few days if the cake manages to fruit despite the contams

i found it note-worthy that the hominy is pinning.
note he confirms he only made the one jar, a hominy cake,
and it was never shaken.
my own experiments are in trouble, spotted what appears to be lipstick mold in one jar, pretty obviously badly contam'd as water and heat build up and the hominy is disintegrating.
i think perhaps the syringe we used was bad.
so now we have to start more anew.
thankfully we used 2 different syringes.

--------------------
Admin @ mycotopia.net
Mycotopia

Edited by Hippie3 (07/30/03 07:45 PM)

InvisibleHippie3
mycotopiate
 User Gallery

#1762366 - 07/30/03 10:18 AM (20 years, 7 months ago)

houston,
we have lift-off.
it gives me great pleasure to announce that mycellia has now, at about 6 days since multi-spore inoculation, become visible in 3 jars of hominy.
that means it works.
spores will germinate, and mycellia grow,
on plain hominy right out of the can.
that's a pretty stunning developement, in my opinion.
the patches are still a bit small for my crappy webcam to show clearly but we'll have pix in another day or two.

--------------------
Admin @ mycotopia.net
Mycotopia

OfflineGrandpa
Oh, my achingback

Loc: Springfield
    #1762993 - 07/30/03 02:13 PM (20 years, 7 months ago)

That is wonderful.
So, you poured it out in open air or in a glovebox?

Hominy is quite bit better then brown rice if it all works out good. Seems like it could be a new PFTEK in terms of what it will do to our field. A mushrooms growing revolution.

--------------------
I don't intend for this to take on a political tone. I'm just here for the drugs.
--Nancy Reagan, former First Lady

Offlinemerlink
IntergalacticTraveler

Re: The Hominy Project [Re: Grandpa]
    #1763012 - 07/30/03 02:20 PM (20 years, 7 months ago)

Wow.. Very impressive and certainly innovative tek..... Has anyone checked the health food stores yet?

Could this be done with canned brocolli tops? They have a lot of small vegetative nodules which could easily be well distributed as a spawn.

-Merlin

--------------------
"Once you have an experience, you experience it for the rest of your life ? as time is a man-made relativity, expiration of experience is a thought." - Merlin

Offlineshakta
Infidel
    #1763017 - 07/30/03 02:22 PM (20 years, 7 months ago)

Awesome news hippie. Sounds like an easy new substrate has been found. For the cost though, I will stick with popcorn most likely. It is just so cheap.

InvisibleHippie3
mycotopiate
 User Gallery

Re: The Hominy Project [Re: Grandpa]
    #1763309 - 07/30/03 03:55 PM (20 years, 7 months ago)

all work was done in the open air, a dirty kitchen.
no special precautions were taken.
i do think there's potential here to revolutionize
cultivation, at least for those not already set in their ways.
but for the newbies, this will certainly make most other teks
obsolete. not the pf tek, which will still be easier to fruit,
but other grains. i mean, why bother when you can just open a can ?
just as canned foods replaced fresh at our dinner tables last century,
canned substrate can replace home-made and save us hours of labor.

--------------------
Admin @ mycotopia.net
Mycotopia

InvisibleHippie3
mycotopiate
 User Gallery

Re: The Hominy Project [Re: merlink]
    #1763317 - 07/30/03 03:57 PM (20 years, 7 months ago)

i know of no other similar experiments with brocolli tops or anything else for that matter.
but in light of the fact that canned hominy works, it certainly makes one wonder what else is sitting on the store shelves waiting to be discovered. green beans, carrots perhaps ?

--------------------
Admin @ mycotopia.net
Mycotopia

InvisibleHippie3
mycotopiate
 User Gallery

Re: The Hominy Project [Re: shakta]
    #1763331 - 07/30/03 04:00 PM (20 years, 7 months ago)

i expect most will stick with what they already know.
this is aimed at the new ones,
forget a pc and rye or birdseed, etc.
just a few cans of hominy, some post office tyvek,
a few jars and some spores.
might not even need jars if the can-o-spawn thing works out,
we have 2 cans started.
the retail price for hominy was 37 cents a pound, roughly.
that compares pretty favorably with popcorn for most.
of course, that is wet weight, so true cost is a bit higher

--------------------
Admin @ mycotopia.net
Mycotopia

Edited by Hippie3 (07/30/03 07:50 PM)

Offlineshakta
Infidel
    #1763564 - 07/30/03 05:09 PM (20 years, 7 months ago)

I did not realize it could be had for that cheap. I will probably try it if I can get it that cheap. I guess we will have to wait and see how long it takes to colonize and all that.

OnlineBaby_Hitler
Errorist
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #1763582 - 07/30/03 05:14 PM (20 years, 7 months ago)

Ehh... Could you refresh my memory...

Has anyone successfully done hominy yet just steaming, without PCing?

I think that's the big deal about this tek, that it would allow newbies to do grain without a PC. That would be awsome, and a viable alternative to the PF tek, even for a first timer.

--------------------

InvisibleHippie3
mycotopiate
 User Gallery

#1763682 - 07/30/03 06:02 PM (20 years, 7 months ago)

yessir mr. hitler,
mine were done just by steaming.
i did use my pc, but i never added the weight, just the lid.
steamed 1 hour .

--------------------
Admin @ mycotopia.net
Mycotopia

InvisibleHippie3
mycotopiate
 User Gallery

#1763715 - 07/30/03 06:13 PM (20 years, 7 months ago)

ok, as i said earlier, other mycotopiates are hard at work on this hominy project.
here's a report on hominy just posted at mycotopia.net.
Quote:

By mindless vesscular (Mindless) on Wednesday, July 30, 2003 - 10:57 pm: Edit

another hominy project
since no one has really put up much for pics, i thought i would share these....

some jars were innoc'd with liquid myc, some with spores.
mazapatec strain.
about 2 weeks old at this time.
all double-end cased.

Quote:

a closeup of one of the jars:

Quote:

closeup of the small glass (leftover hominy...why waste it?)

Quote:

and the can it all came from

--------------------
Admin @ mycotopia.net
Mycotopia

Offlinemerlink
IntergalacticTraveler

#1764576 - 07/30/03 11:28 PM (20 years, 7 months ago)

Hmmm.. My buddy is going to start the brocolli and green bean projects.. Going to the store tonight to look for suitable mediums.

-Merlin

--------------------
"Once you have an experience, you experience it for the rest of your life ? as time is a man-made relativity, expiration of experience is a thought." - Merlin

InvisibleHippie3
mycotopiate
 User Gallery

#1765243 - 07/31/03 06:49 AM (20 years, 7 months ago)

far out, it'd be cool if it works.
good luck.
and try hominy, too, we KNOW it works.

--------------------
Admin @ mycotopia.net
Mycotopia

OfflineSkaloser
yes, it's true
 User Gallery

#1765502 - 07/31/03 08:54 AM (20 years, 7 months ago)

wow this is awesome...this kid i met once is gonna try this later tonight.

--------------------
This was unlike the story
it was written to be
I was riding its back
when it used to ride me.

And we were galloping manic
to the mouth of the source
we were swallowing panic
in the face of its force.

InvisibleHippie3
mycotopiate
 User Gallery

Re: The Hominy Project [Re: Skaloser]
    #1765553 - 07/31/03 09:26 AM (20 years, 7 months ago)

here's my crappy pic,
kinda hard to spot but
the mycellia is now roughly covering 5-10% of the entire jar. the other two are coming along nicely as well, but the verm is more spread-out, making it harder to spot the mycellia.

another report just in-
Quote:

By cubester1 (Cubester1) on Thursday, July 31, 2003 - 08:13 pm: Edit

Awesome looking guys! Great to see that my results can be replicated. As for the one cake i've got it's not looking so hot. The few pins it did sprout are growing very slowly. This could be due to the contams though. Also casing the mix could make a huge difference. Even at the worst this seems to be a very effecient way to create spawn. Good luck guys!

By nilla (Nilla) on Thursday, July 31, 2003 - 08:16 pm: Edit

Thought id add my homminy info,I have
two pints going on there forth day,one is z strain tissue and the other is pf strain tissue.
Both are showing signs of life,very pleased!
Im wondering if i should have to shake these like other grain teks,or leave it be.

--------------------
Admin @ mycotopia.net
Mycotopia

Edited by Hippie3 (07/31/03 02:14 PM)

InvisibleHippie3
mycotopiate
 User Gallery

#1766339 - 07/31/03 02:24 PM (20 years, 7 months ago)

just in from cubester,
his 1st [and only] hominy cake has begun to fruit.
not overly impressive i'll admit but the guy's a newbie,
it should have been cased no doubt.
still, this proves cubensis will fruit on canned hominy.

--------------------
Admin @ mycotopia.net
Mycotopia

Offlinemerlink
IntergalacticTraveler

#1766635 - 07/31/03 03:45 PM (20 years, 7 months ago)

Hmmm.. Do you think this would make a decent spawn?

-Merlin

--------------------

InvisibleHippie3
mycotopiate
 User Gallery

#1766978 - 07/31/03 05:31 PM (20 years, 7 months ago)

that's what i'm thinking, yes.

--------------------
Admin @ mycotopia.net
Mycotopia

OnlineBaby_Hitler
Errorist
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #1767097 - 07/31/03 06:31 PM (20 years, 7 months ago)

Dam, that shit does look green.

I just called them, and apparently Sam's Club doesn't carry Hominy.

--------------------

InvisibleHippie3
mycotopiate
 User Gallery

#1767110 - 07/31/03 06:41 PM (20 years, 7 months ago)

yeah, i looked there too but apparently hominy isn't very popular anymore except in certain ethnic communities. still can find it in just about any decent sized grocery store though, right by the canned corn.
cubester said the mean greenies wiped out most of his pf cakes too but that has nothing to do with hominy as such, he's just a newbie starting out and everyone gets the green now and then, on every kind of substrate.
so try to look past the imperfections in our limited study and see the potential if one did it the right way.

--------------------
Admin @ mycotopia.net
Mycotopia

InvisibleHippie3
mycotopiate
 User Gallery

#1768519 - 08/01/03 06:32 AM (20 years, 7 months ago)

just checked the hominy this AM and the mycellia is ripping thru it about as fast as with popcorn. i predict these 3 qts will be done in 3-4 more days.

--------------------
Admin @ mycotopia.net
Mycotopia

InvisibleHippie3
mycotopiate
 User Gallery

#1772475 - 08/02/03 09:09 AM (20 years, 7 months ago)

ok,
well it turns out the panama syringe was definitly contam'd, the other 2 qts done with it have joined their lipstick moldy brother.

but the 3 qts done with the blue meanie syringe are still kicking major ass.
just shook yesterday
and they've already recovered nicely
and spred to cover proly about 50-60% of each of the jars.
here's 2 more crappy pix.

canned hominy  :thumbup:

--------------------
Admin @ mycotopia.net
Mycotopia

InvisibleHippie3
mycotopiate
 User Gallery

#1775105 - 08/03/03 09:10 AM (20 years, 7 months ago)

today they look to be roughly 90-95% colonized.

5 days after germination.

--------------------
Admin @ mycotopia.net
Mycotopia

InvisibleTxTec
Texas home andheart breaker...

#1775127 - 08/03/03 09:29 AM (20 years, 7 months ago)

We need to start a buy Hippie a new camera fund.... :smile:

--------------------
I felt a warm warm breeze that melted metal and steele

InvisibleHippie3
mycotopiate
 User Gallery

Re: The Hominy Project [Re: TxTec]
    #1775134 - 08/03/03 09:33 AM (20 years, 7 months ago)

lol
they all said the exact same thing back during the original popcorn thread,
but here i am , still limping by on my 3 year old $49 webcam.
still, i think y'all can see well enough to tell that the mycellia
is literally ripping thru the canned hominy like a wildfire.
i plan to let it sit a few extra days to ensure full coverage but for most intents and purposes it'll be finished by tomorrow.
then the next stage of research is fruiting it properly.
that will take considerably more time of course.

--------------------
Admin @ mycotopia.net
Mycotopia

Offlinegator00
memeber over 10 yrs

#1775534 - 08/03/03 01:28 PM (20 years, 7 months ago)

hey now what exactly do u do for this methoid? can anyone provide a walk thru? yes im new at this and oh yea with the walk thru answer me this with homney should u case it?

--------------------
Anything I say in the above post is a complete lie. The voices in my head tell me to say it. And to burn things. any pictures that are posted are found on google.

InvisibleHippie3
mycotopiate
 User Gallery

Re: The Hominy Project [Re: gator00]
    #1775694 - 08/03/03 02:22 PM (20 years, 7 months ago)

this is a whole grain tek,
so yes, it should be cased.
or used as spawn for bulk substrates such as straw.
pretty simple tek.
get some canned hominy,
open up cans and drain off fluid.
rinse hominy and drain well.
place 1/4 cup dry vermiculite or perlite in bottom of jar
then fill jars 2/3rds full with hominy,
and apply lids with filter [tyvek or polyfil, etc.]
cover with tinfoil to keep water drops out.
steam for 1 hour to sterilize.
allow to cool to room temp.
inoculate thru the filter and re-seal [cover most of tyvek with duct tape to prevent excessive evaporation].
incubate.
after about 30% colonization,
gently shake once to spread growth thru the jar.
allow to finish,
then case or use as spawn.
much like any other grain tek,
except it comes ready to use from a can.

hey, this thread's rating has now dropped to just 2 shrooms,
i think we can do better than that.
y'all need to bump that up.

--------------------
Admin @ mycotopia.net
Mycotopia

Edited by Hippie3 (08/06/03 08:02 PM)

InvisibleBrainFarmer
Farmicist

Loc: lounging betwixt lobes...
    #1776269 - 08/03/03 06:17 PM (20 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

place 1/4 cup dry vermiculite or perlite in bottom of jar

why?  i've never heard of this before...
this thread is interesting.  i'll bump the rating up for ya  :wink:

peace,
BF

--------------------
Gate Gate Paragate Parasamgate Bodhisvah

Formula: 0

Offlinegator00
memeber over 10 yrs

Re: The Hominy Project [Re: Anno]
    #1776337 - 08/03/03 07:00 PM (20 years, 7 months ago)

now what can i use for the filterdisc things? is there any sub. for em like a paper towel or nething?

--------------------
Anything I say in the above post is a complete lie. The voices in my head tell me to say it. And to burn things. any pictures that are posted are found on google.

Offlinegator00
memeber over 10 yrs

Re: The Hominy Project [Re: Anno]
    #1776354 - 08/03/03 07:14 PM (20 years, 7 months ago)

if i used honey n water to get some life stuff going on in shoot it into the homney how much would this speed up the process

--------------------

InvisibleHippie3
mycotopiate
 User Gallery

Re: The Hominy Project [Re: BrainFarmer]
    #1776498 - 08/03/03 08:02 PM (20 years, 7 months ago)

the verm is just there to soak up any excess water that might pool in the bottom of the jars, very common with corn and leads to wet spot bacteria. so it's just a precaution to help ensure success.
thx for the rating boost.

--------------------
Admin @ mycotopia.net
Mycotopia

InvisibleHippie3
mycotopiate
 User Gallery

#1776513 - 08/03/03 08:05 PM (20 years, 7 months ago)

go to your local post office,
they have free envelopes made of tyvek,
a good filter material.

--------------------
Admin @ mycotopia.net
Mycotopia

Offlinegator00
memeber over 10 yrs

#1776521 - 08/03/03 08:07 PM (20 years, 7 months ago)

so i can jus use an envolpe 1 more thing i have a pc i picked up at a garage sale and i lost the lil piace which plugs the hole in the top it never had a gauge to tell me what im cookin at so with out the lil screw will it work for like 15psi?

--------------------

InvisibleHippie3
mycotopiate
 User Gallery

#1776536 - 08/03/03 08:11 PM (20 years, 7 months ago)

using live tissue to inoculate would save the time needed for the spores to germinate.
in this case, it took 6 days to germinate and 6 more to finish,
for a total of 12 days.
if you had used liquid mycellia,
it would have only taken 6-7 days,
saving you 5-6 days.
just don't over-do it,
you don't want too much excess water in there,
i would not use more than 3-4 cc's of inoculant per quart, maximum.

--------------------
Admin @ mycotopia.net
Mycotopia

InvisibleHippie3
mycotopiate
 User Gallery

#1776552 - 08/03/03 08:14 PM (20 years, 7 months ago)

you don't need pressure with canned hominy,
just steam.
so your cooker will work fine 'as is'.
just put the lid on, and let the steam leak out anyway.

--------------------
Admin @ mycotopia.net
Mycotopia

Offlinegator00
memeber over 10 yrs

#1776557 - 08/03/03 08:15 PM (20 years, 7 months ago)

no for other things would the pc still be fine?

--------------------

InvisibleHippie3
mycotopiate
 User Gallery

#1776571 - 08/03/03 08:19 PM (20 years, 7 months ago)

no, your pc won't work properly for other grains, which need the pressure to help kill the endospores and penetrate the hulls on the grain.
both of which, endospores and hulls, are missing from canned hominy and so that problem is avoided.
but for rye or birdseed or popcorn, etc., you'll need to replace your missing part so your pc will seal properly and attain the correct pressure/temperature.

--------------------
Admin @ mycotopia.net
Mycotopia

Offlinegator00
memeber over 10 yrs

#1776579 - 08/03/03 08:22 PM (20 years, 7 months ago)

ok now for the teyvek u said its jus an envolope?

--------------------

InvisibleHippie3
mycotopiate
 User Gallery

#1776583 - 08/03/03 08:24 PM (20 years, 7 months ago)

correct,
a large envelope for mailing magazine-sized objects,
they usually have them in a rack for anyone to help themselves.
read the fine print, it'll say tyvek right on it.
cut it into squares, leave it double thick,
and use it as your filters.

--------------------
Admin @ mycotopia.net
Mycotopia

Offlinegator00
memeber over 10 yrs

#1776667 - 08/03/03 08:50 PM (20 years, 7 months ago)

oh there the yellow ones like a musty yellow sorta orange am i rite?

--------------------

OnlineBaby_Hitler
Errorist
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #1776668 - 08/03/03 08:50 PM (20 years, 7 months ago)

It should say DuPont Tyvek on it somewhere.

--------------------

OnlineBaby_Hitler
Errorist
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #1776727 - 08/03/03 09:07 PM (20 years, 7 months ago)

I think you're thinking of manilla envelopes. The ones you want are priority mail envelopes from the post office. Are you in America?

Here's a pic:

--------------------

Offlinegator00
memeber over 10 yrs

#1776757 - 08/03/03 09:16 PM (20 years, 7 months ago)

yes i am in the us, r they free?

--------------------

OnlineBaby_Hitler
Errorist
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #1776788 - 08/03/03 09:31 PM (20 years, 7 months ago)

Free, and you can order them from the USPS website if your local post office doesn't have them (Which is kind of unlikely).

It's nice knowing the federal government will send you free mushroom growing supplies straight to your door.

--------------------

InvisibleHippie3
mycotopiate
 User Gallery

#1777506 - 08/04/03 05:32 AM (20 years, 7 months ago)

hey gator,
no offense intended, man,
but these questions of yours are very basic,
not advanced at all.
you're pulling this thread off target.
i mean, i already told you at least twice
that the tyvek envelopes were free, and then you still ask
'are they free'?
there's a thread on this in the regular cultivation forum,
called 'canned corn growing!'
it's more suited to the kind of very basic questions
you keep asking.
plz post in it if you have more questions
that aren't specifically related to hominy.
we shouldn't be having to take so much time in this thread
to explain to you what tyvek is, about your pc, etc.
do some research, there's a FAQ and a search function here.
plz use them to find such basic info.
thx.

--------------------
Admin @ mycotopia.net
Mycotopia

InvisibleTxTec

#1783960 - 08/06/03 01:32 AM (20 years, 7 months ago)

I`ve read all i need so it`s time to give it a whirl...Contams shouldnt be a problem at all unless Gator causes you to break everything in the lab!  :crazy:

--------------------

InvisibleHippie3
mycotopiate
 User Gallery

#1784262 - 08/06/03 05:22 AM (20 years, 7 months ago)

soon, we're going to do a few in front of our flowhood,
and try just straight from the can into the jar and inoculate,
no steaming at all.
cuts prep time per jar to just a minute or two.
we'll keep everyone posted as more results come in.
our initial batch of hominy jars are finished colonizing,
and we hope to get them cased by week's end.

--------------------
Admin @ mycotopia.net
Mycotopia

OfflineEkstaza
stranger than most
 User Gallery

Loc: Around the corner
    #1784566 - 08/06/03 09:55 AM (20 years, 7 months ago)

I read one post stating that the hominy used had 14% sodium content. I found some that comes in a huge can for $1.86 but I didn't get it yet because I wanted to ask about salt content. The label said it had 10% sodium and I just wanted to make sure that it would be ok.

Is it?

--------------------
YOUR EXPERIENCE WITH ANY GIVEN DRUG ISN'T THE DEFINITIVE MEASURE OF THE DRUGS EFFECTS.

InvisibleHippie3
mycotopiate
 User Gallery

Re: The Hominy Project [Re: Ekstaza]
    #1785283 - 08/06/03 02:13 PM (20 years, 7 months ago)

yep.
mine was 14%.

--------------------
Admin @ mycotopia.net
Mycotopia

OfflineEkstaza
stranger than most
 User Gallery

#1785323 - 08/06/03 02:28 PM (20 years, 7 months ago)

Great! Inow have only to go back to the store and get the hominy. The can I'm buying is 5 lb. of hominy if I remember correctly. You just can't go wrong when you can get 5 lbs. of substrate ready for PCing for only $1.86.

--------------------
YOUR EXPERIENCE WITH ANY GIVEN DRUG ISN'T THE DEFINITIVE MEASURE OF THE DRUGS EFFECTS.

InvisibleHippie3
mycotopiate
 User Gallery

#1785795 - 08/06/03 04:33 PM (20 years, 7 months ago)

i went to a store today, Big Lots, they had "teasdale" brand mexican style hominy in a 6 pound 12 ounce can for $1.49 that's roughly 22 cents a pound, wet weight, not including tax.
and the sodium content was only 7%, the lowest i've seen so far.

--------------------
Admin @ mycotopia.net
Mycotopia

OnlineBaby_Hitler
Errorist
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #1785824 - 08/06/03 04:45 PM (20 years, 7 months ago)

Hmm, I haven't looked in the mexican section yet. We gots lots o' Mexicans here, and the local grocery stores all have sizeable mexican food selections.

--------------------

InvisibleHippie3
mycotopiate
 User Gallery

#1786245 - 08/06/03 07:04 PM (20 years, 7 months ago)

yep, we did get a tip early on that mexican markets might be a good place to find it in quantity cheap.
Big Lots isn't mexican though, it's one of those stores that buys up stuff cheap in bulk, maybe freight damaged or not selling well, and re-sells it at a big discount.

--------------------
Admin @ mycotopia.net
Mycotopia

OnlineBaby_Hitler
Errorist
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #1786275 - 08/06/03 07:16 PM (20 years, 7 months ago)

How many quarts can you get out of that jar?

--------------------

InvisibleHippie3
mycotopiate
 User Gallery

#1786322 - 08/06/03 07:27 PM (20 years, 7 months ago)

that big can equals almost 7 regular cans,
and i got 3 qts from 4 cans so figure
about 5 qts depending on how full you go.
so it works out to roughly 30 cents a quart jar.

--------------------
Admin @ mycotopia.net
Mycotopia

OfflineRidd
    #1786356 - 08/06/03 07:37 PM (20 years, 7 months ago)

I just inoculated 5 pint jars with white Hominy I picked up from Wal-Mart. 6-pound can for < $2. I steamed the jars and used tyvvek (sp) for the lids. Also I put a thin layer of verm on the bottom of each jar as Hippie suggested to prevent bacterial growth caused by too much moisture (just in case). To inoculate, I used a piece of partially colonized substrate from another jar I have incubating using the PF-Tek method, broke it up in a sterile water jar with glass, and used the mycellium-water for the solution. I used about 1-1/2 ccs of solution per jar. I'll post results as soon as I get them.

Thanks for showing us the tek, Hippie, this is JUST what I wanted as a jump start into bulk growing.

InvisibleHippie3
mycotopiate
 User Gallery

Re: The Hominy Project [Re: Ridd]
    #1786413 - 08/06/03 07:54 PM (20 years, 7 months ago)

good luck,
i suggest using it spawn for some straw logs/baskets, etc.
that way even if the salt in the hominy itself somehow inhibits fruiting [which is by no means known-just possible] then the added bulk of the straw would go a long ways towards improving yields.
be sure to tape over ~80% of the tyvek so it doesn't dry out the upper kernels too much with too much air exchange..

--------------------
Admin @ mycotopia.net
Mycotopia

OfflineRidd
    #1786458 - 08/06/03 08:13 PM (20 years, 7 months ago)

I'm sorry, I confused tyvek with that cottony substance, I forget what it's called.  I drilled small 1/4" holes into the tops and plugged them with it. 

As for the straw logs/baskets, this is my first attempt at growing mushies, and while I do catch on to things quickly, and have done a TON of research, I wanna get more familiar with the whole process first before I move onto growing bulk.  And to be honest, even Shroomgod's bulk growing FAQ confused me :/ 

Hey - at least this way we'll find out if it fruits OK going straight from colonization to casing, right? :smile:  I have 7 other jars using the traditional PF-tek method, so even if these Hominy jars don't work out, I'll still have some mushies :wink:

InvisibleHippie3
mycotopiate
 User Gallery

#1786480 - 08/06/03 08:23 PM (20 years, 7 months ago)

ok, i see,
you're talking about polyfil, another good choice.
but don't short change yourself,
straw is amazingly easy,
and i can point you in the right direction.
just do a search here for "straw logs".
straw logs
the thread is right now just a few threads below this one .
but you are wise to be cautious and to hedge your bets,
this is still experimental.

--------------------
Admin @ mycotopia.net
Mycotopia

Edited by Hippie3 (08/07/03 04:19 PM)

OfflineRidd
    #1786775 - 08/06/03 10:11 PM (20 years, 7 months ago)

Thanks for all the info, I'm checkin it out as we speak.  Lots of info to sort through ;p  I'll take it all in and post with any obtuse questions I may have :wink:

InvisibleHippie3
mycotopiate
 User Gallery

#1787640 - 08/07/03 07:28 AM (20 years, 7 months ago)

no prob, take your time, esp. your first few times.
it takes awhile to get the knack,
a few pf cakes as back-up is a pretty good idea,
maybe a few invitro syle as well as terrarium fruited.
casings and bulks like straw require a bit more care
and more elaborate set-ups to do well.
good luck.

--------------------
Admin @ mycotopia.net
Mycotopia

OfflineRidd
    #1788854 - 08/07/03 02:20 PM (20 years, 7 months ago)

I don't plan on doing any cakes, it just seems to be an inferior method. Casing only for me ;p

As for spawn, wouldn't Hominy be a poor spawn? It's big ass chunks of solid mass, I figured something loose like grain would be more effective?

I think I'll try mass producing after I try casing first, that way I can have an idea of what pins look like and such. My idea would be to have one quart jar of grain for spawn, then the rest of the jars could be Hominy jars (assuming this works out well) and I can use that as spawn for straw. Good idea?

InvisibleHippie3
mycotopiate
 User Gallery

#1788929 - 08/07/03 02:42 PM (20 years, 7 months ago)

lol
suit yerself.
but don't under-estimate cakes.
they are far easier for new ones,
and can give astonishing yields.

the hominy is broken up into individual kernels as it's removed from the jar for use as spawn.
btw, hominy IS grain.
it's corn.

--------------------
Admin @ mycotopia.net
Mycotopia

OfflineRidd
    #1788951 - 08/07/03 02:47 PM (20 years, 7 months ago)

Heh, I have an uneven number of jars anyway, and being a Virgo, I like things to be even.  So I'll use a couple jars for cakes, just to have that "cake-look," and since you reccomend it.  Besides, not doing ANYTHING yet, I wanna try a lil' bit of everything :wink:

I didn't know corn is grain (lol, sad eh?) but I knew the hominy was corn...it's hard NOT to smell it if nothing else :wink: 

OK, last question.  Do you think it would be MORE effective if one planned to use the hominy as spawn to chop up the hominy (via food processor, blender, or whatever) into fine material before steaming and inoculation (or whatever)?  Personally I think it'd make it very similar to grain, WBS, etc. (in terms of ease of utilization for spawn) without all that extra hassle. 

Lol, what am I saying?  I'll try it out, see what happens, and keep ya'll posted :wink:

Edited by Ridd (08/07/03 03:19 PM)

InvisibleHippie3
mycotopiate
 User Gallery

#1789251 - 08/07/03 04:22 PM (20 years, 7 months ago)

if i were to 'chop' it up,
i think i'd wait until after it was fully colonized.
then shake it out, chop it a bit, let it recover 24-48 hours, covered under foil in tray, then use as spawn.
proly not really necessary, as you can just use as much hominy as needed to get as many points of inoculation as you want.

--------------------
Admin @ mycotopia.net
Mycotopia

OfflineRidd
    #1789541 - 08/07/03 05:42 PM (20 years, 7 months ago)

Yeah you're probably right. I'm talking about using it as spawn for other jars though. Wouldn't it have to be more finely chopped like grain?

InvisibleHippie3
mycotopiate
 User Gallery

#1791229 - 08/08/03 06:28 AM (20 years, 7 months ago)

no, not really.
mycellia spreds so fast on corn/hominy that just a few kernels in a jar is plenty to get it colonized in a week or less.
no other grain is nearly as fast, smaller kernels or not.

--------------------
Admin @ mycotopia.net
Mycotopia

Invisiblemicro
bunbun has a gungun
Male User Gallery

Loc: Brick City
    #1792234 - 08/08/03 01:23 PM (20 years, 7 months ago)

I haven't really been following this post, but I noticed this:

Quote:

I read one post stating that the hominy used had 14% sodium content. I found some that comes in a huge can for $1.86 but I didn't get it yet because I wanted to ask about salt content. The label said it had 10% sodium and I just wanted to make sure that it would be ok.

I don't think this is possible. Is this 14% daily reccomended intake or grams divided by volume (liters?) May seem like semantics, but it's pretty important when figuring out nutritional content for substrates....

--
Micro

--------------------
Any research paper or book for free
(Avatar is Maxxy, a character by Mizzyam, RIP)

OfflineEkstaza
stranger than most
 User Gallery

Re: The Hominy Project [Re: micro]
    #1792278 - 08/08/03 01:39 PM (20 years, 7 months ago)

I get your point Micro. It was % of recomended intake so I will have to remember to look at the actual content next time. Thanks for pointing that out.

--------------------

InvisibleHippie3
mycotopiate
 User Gallery

#1794954 - 08/09/03 09:31 AM (20 years, 7 months ago)

good point.
but whatever it is,
doesn't seem to matter much.
still works.

--------------------
Admin @ mycotopia.net
Mycotopia

InvisibleHippie3
mycotopiate
 User Gallery

#1819410 - 08/16/03 09:03 AM (20 years, 7 months ago)

i just finally got set-up ready and went to prep the hominy for casing by spooning it into a tray for the 24 hour recovery when i noticed a big potential pitfall for hominy in jars.

the hominy is so soft and moist that even after sitting several extra days much of the jar's interior areas were still not fully colonized.
to make matters worse, when i used the spoon to break up the grain, the kernels were so soft that the spoon cut right thru them, exposing even more uncolonized interiors.
i left it to recover,
but i'm not very optimistic.
methinks one might do well to consider bag-style growing if one wanted to use hominy.
at least in a bag one could better ensure the mycellia will be able to reach and cover all the kernels even in the middle.

--------------------
Admin @ mycotopia.net
Mycotopia

Invisible2Experimental
Male User Gallery
    #1819502 - 08/16/03 10:38 AM (20 years, 7 months ago)

Thanks for the update Hippie3. Im sure something this great had to have a downfall. But I wonder, if the reason it isent fully colonizing the center is excess moisture, how could this be fixed?

Offlinegator00
memeber over 10 yrs

Re: The Hominy Project [Re: 2Experimental]
    #1819540 - 08/16/03 10:59 AM (20 years, 7 months ago)

or you could put some verm in it mix it up like brf and jus use homney that will suck up all the extra moister

--------------------

InvisibleTxTec

#1819944 - 08/16/03 01:52 PM (20 years, 7 months ago)

Im glad i havent innoculated the quarts of hominy yet!..I did make a few smaller ones out of some nice glasses so im thiking that i could just keep them for invitro?  :confused:

--------------------

InvisibleHippie3
mycotopiate
 User Gallery

#1825491 - 08/18/03 08:34 AM (20 years, 7 months ago)

good news.
after sitting a couple days,
all exposed material colonized fully
and it's now ready to use as spawn.
it will be spawned to pasturized 3n1 scotts brand compost, mixed with coir.

--------------------
Admin @ mycotopia.net
Mycotopia

OfflineRidd
    #1825655 - 08/18/03 10:25 AM (20 years, 7 months ago)

So...when the jars *look* fully colonized, one should just wait a couple more days for them to actually fully colonize? Or should one, like you said, case it upon "colonization" and allow time to recover?

InvisibleHippie3
mycotopiate
 User Gallery

#1826231 - 08/18/03 12:54 PM (20 years, 7 months ago)

a few extra days couldn't hurt.
but i did not case it right away,
and neither should you.
instead, pour the colonized hominy out of the jar
into the tray
and cover with foil
and let it just sit a couple days.
the mycellia will quickly cover any exposed areas.
THEN apply the casing layer or use it as spawn.

--------------------
Admin @ mycotopia.net
Mycotopia

OfflineRidd
    #1827700 - 08/18/03 06:59 PM (20 years, 7 months ago)

Yeah, sorry that's what I meant. Thanks

InvisibleHippie3
mycotopiate
 User Gallery

#1832618 - 08/20/03 07:49 AM (20 years, 7 months ago)

more good news.
the mycellia/hominy is ripping thru the scotts 3n1 which i mixed with coir and verm to lighten it up a bit.
the pie pan casing has already broken thru in a few spots [which were patched] and the foil cover removed.
so far, so good.

--------------------
Admin @ mycotopia.net
Mycotopia

OfflineRavinoff
LethargicSnorting Duck

#1833013 - 08/20/03 10:48 AM (20 years, 7 months ago)

Hey hippie, I was thinking of using one fully colonized BRF cake as spawn to like a quart and a half of hominy, then use that as spawn in a straw log... is there anything wrong with this?

OfflineRavinoff
LethargicSnorting Duck

#1833014 - 08/20/03 10:48 AM (20 years, 7 months ago)

Hey hippie, I was thinking of using one fully colonized BRF cake as spawn to like a quart and a half of hominy, then use that as spawn in a straw log... is there anything wrong with this?

InvisibleHippie3
mycotopiate
 User Gallery

Re: The Hominy Project [Re: Ravinoff]
    #1836410 - 08/21/03 07:13 AM (20 years, 7 months ago)

no, as long as your sterile procedure is good enough to pull off the transfers. got a decent glovebox ?

--------------------
Admin @ mycotopia.net
Mycotopia

OnlineBaby_Hitler
Errorist
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #1841243 - 08/22/03 03:44 PM (20 years, 7 months ago)

Or peroxidated hominy. THough hominy is soggy enough as it is. I'm not sure how it would handle adding peroxide.

--------------------

OfflineSev
Astropath
Loc: NY
    #1844046 - 08/23/03 07:19 PM (20 years, 7 months ago)

You could soak it in peroxide and then drain...

--------------------
"Do we want the stars? We can have them. Can we borrow cups of fire from the sun? We can and must and light the world." --"On the Shoulders of Giants", Ray Bradbury

All of my posts are full of fiction and blatant lies.

InvisibleHippie3
mycotopiate
 User Gallery

Re: The Hominy Project [Re: Sev]
    #1845025 - 08/24/03 07:28 AM (20 years, 7 months ago)

adding some vermiculite or perlite to the hominy jar helps control moisture levels

--------------------
Admin @ mycotopia.net
Mycotopia

InvisibleHippie3
mycotopiate
 User Gallery

#1862048 - 08/29/03 07:56 AM (20 years, 7 months ago)

an update, with good results.
Quote:

By Machine (Machine) on Thursday, August 28, 2003 - 01:57 pm:

Well here's my results with hominy so far. Took a little longer to pin than I had anticipated.

Here's my fully colonized jars.

Quote:

Finally pinning

Quote:

It's the small gladware container. 1qt of substrate. There are about 25-30 pins from the looks of it...

--------------------
Admin @ mycotopia.net
Mycotopia

Edited by Hippie3 (02/02/04 07:12 AM)

InvisibleHippie3
mycotopiate
 User Gallery

#1862061 - 08/29/03 08:00 AM (20 years, 7 months ago)

my own hominy, cased 10 days ago, is not yet pinning, still looks good, we've had a real heat wave here with several days of temps in the 104-106*F range so i think that stressed the mycellia quite a bit.
still, appears to have survived but growth slowed considerably during the heat wave.

we'll post more pix as "machine's" crop matures, most of the pins are still pretty small and hard to see on crap cam.

--------------------
Admin @ mycotopia.net
Mycotopia

InvisibleHippie3
mycotopiate
 User Gallery

#1870849 - 09/01/03 10:35 AM (20 years, 6 months ago)

great news!
my sole surviving hominy is beginning to fruit.
12 days after 'casing' with scotts 3n1.
pins still too small for my crappy cam but soon.
so i guess that awful heat wave didn't kill it.
still i'm sure it didn't help.
more experiments are still needed and planned
but i'm still inclined to think canned hominy will prove to be a decent substrate.

--------------------
Admin @ mycotopia.net
Mycotopia

InvisibleAlien
Galactic Shaman
 User Gallery

Loc: Jupiter's Moon
Post deleted by Administrator [Re: Hippie3]
    #1870883 - 09/01/03 10:52 AM (20 years, 6 months ago)

--------------------
-Alien :cool:

InvisibleHippie3
mycotopiate
 User Gallery

Re: The Hominy Project [Re: Alien]
    #1870923 - 09/01/03 11:07 AM (20 years, 6 months ago)

i just noticed,
it's 6 weeks to the day since i started this thread.
and less than 5 weeks since we inoculated.
from spore to pin in about a month,
that's just about 'par'.
we're making progress.
we've proved cubie spores
will germinate, grow and fruit off canned hominy.
now to perfect the tek.

--------------------
Admin @ mycotopia.net
Mycotopia

OfflineOBIETRICE
Ninja Master

Loc: Texas
    #1871429 - 09/01/03 02:25 PM (20 years, 6 months ago)

Fantastic work hippie.. keep it up..

--------------------
insanity.

InvisibleHippie3
mycotopiate
 User Gallery

#1873535 - 09/02/03 05:28 AM (20 years, 6 months ago)

another update from 'machine'

Quote:

By Machine

I would have to say hominy's doing ok as a substrate. These are my pins three days later. These are EQs.

--------------------
Admin @ mycotopia.net
Mycotopia

Edited by Hippie3 (02/02/04 07:13 AM)

InvisibleHippie3
mycotopiate
 User Gallery

#1873683 - 09/02/03 08:43 AM (20 years, 6 months ago)

btw, from the looks of it so far,
my pinset should be a bit better than that.
after the heat wave of last week,
we're now unseasonably cold,
i just had to fire up a heater in the grow shed.
should have some decent pix of mine to post in another
couple days.

--------------------
Admin @ mycotopia.net
Mycotopia

InvisibleHippie3
mycotopiate
 User Gallery

#1874119 - 09/02/03 01:00 PM (20 years, 6 months ago)

here's the latest update from 'machine'.
Quote:

By Machine (Machine) on Tuesday, September 02, 2003 - 06:53 pm: Edit

I checked mine this morning and it is looking a little better. Both jars are in one container. It is cased with 50/50. Should have used coir but the pet shop was out. It's unseasonably cool here too..but still well above 70 during the day. I'm really growing to loath the heat.

--------------------
Admin @ mycotopia.net
Mycotopia

Edited by Hippie3 (02/02/04 07:14 AM)

InvisibleHippie3
mycotopiate
 User Gallery

#1878110 - 09/03/03 03:52 PM (20 years, 6 months ago)

ok, finally, a few pix of my hominy pie-tin casing starting to pin.
looks pretty good so far.
strain is blue meanies.

there you go, folks.
the very 1st no-pc whole grain tek.
we've proved beyond a shadow of a doubt that it works.

--------------------
Admin @ mycotopia.net
Mycotopia

Edited by Hippie3 (02/02/04 07:17 AM)

InvisibleDanKnugget
Mysterious Traveller
Male

Loc: On a boat
    #1879273 - 09/03/03 09:29 PM (20 years, 6 months ago)

wow, im gonna have to get me some of this stuff once a good tek has been pounded out! keep up the GREAT work hippie, maybe you will become the next great innovator for the oyster mushroom cultivation world!

--------------------
My 3 proverbs:
1. School is for people who don't know stuff.
2. Jobs are for losers.
3. Reading is for people with nothing better to do.

InvisibleHippie3
mycotopiate
 User Gallery

Re: The Hominy Project [Re: DanKnugget]
    #1880413 - 09/04/03 05:36 AM (20 years, 6 months ago)

thx.

another update from 'machine'.
Quote:

By Machine (Machine) on Thursday, September 04, 2003 - 01:24 am:

Looking good. I harvested the first flush. 129 grams wet from two pints. Not bad...I'm sure I could do better. But it's obvious that hominy is a worth while substrate.

--------------------
Admin @ mycotopia.net
Mycotopia

InvisibleDanKnugget
Mysterious Traveller
Male

Loc: On a boat
    #1882822 - 09/04/03 08:29 PM (20 years, 6 months ago)

/me crosses fingers and waits for a refined tek to be put into the faq.
the shroomery should have an experimental substrate section in the faq, strictly to post the current methods for things such as popcorn, hominy, and haricot beans.

--------------------
My 3 proverbs:
1. School is for people who don't know stuff.
2. Jobs are for losers.
3. Reading is for people with nothing better to do.

OfflineRidd
Re: The Hominy Project [Re: DanKnugget]
    #1883985 - 09/05/03 03:27 AM (20 years, 6 months ago)

/me thinks letting the hominy drain fully will improve results.

InvisibleHippie3
mycotopiate
 User Gallery

#1884434 - 09/05/03 08:46 AM (20 years, 6 months ago)

a couple of current pix of my canned hominy pie.

--------------------
Admin @ mycotopia.net
Mycotopia

Edited by Hippie3 (02/02/04 07:18 AM)

InvisibleHippie3
mycotopiate
 User Gallery

#1884478 - 09/05/03 09:00 AM (20 years, 6 months ago)

afternote:
i think i made the casing too wet,
i proly should have used a bit less water to compensate for the hominy's high moisture content,
as the shrooms seem pretty water-logged.
this fact is also evidenced by the several shrooms which
are opening their caps while still quite short,
something i've seen before that often correlates with
excessive water content.
still, the pinset is very nice,
and the shrooms otherwise appear normal.
we picked off what appears to be about the equivalent
of a couple dry grams so a potency bio-assay is planned
in the near future.
will update as feasible.

--------------------
Admin @ mycotopia.net
Mycotopia

InvisibleHippie3
mycotopiate
 User Gallery

#1890434 - 09/07/03 05:25 AM (20 years, 6 months ago)

ok, we did our bio-assay yesterday AM,
very pleased, quite obviously cubies grown on canned hominy have normal potency.
picked the pie clean this AM,
pretty nice flush in all,
only complaint was they all were short-ish
but they were plentiful. many sporulating,
so we also know now that's not affected.
i'll post a pic later of the flush drying.
btw, 2nd flush is already beginning to form,
i can see several tiny hyphal knots .

--------------------
Admin @ mycotopia.net
Mycotopia

InvisibleHippie3
mycotopiate
 User Gallery

#1890452 - 09/07/03 06:09 AM (20 years, 6 months ago)

ok, here's a couple crappy pix of the pie's 1st flush [minus what i ate yesterday].
i ain't saying i'm real proud of it
but still it's not too shabby for ~1 qt of canned hominy.
esp. considering it's my 1st time thru with it.
i think i can improve my results considerably now that i have some experience with it.
and there's still more to come yet from this pie next flush.

--------------------
Admin @ mycotopia.net
Mycotopia

InvisibleHippie3
mycotopiate
 User Gallery

#2277565 - 01/27/04 12:23 PM (20 years, 2 months ago)

update/report.
Pskovinsky (Pskov)
Username: Pskov

Post Number: 433

Posted on Tuesday, January 27, 2004 - 03:49 am:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Hippie asked me to write up what my friend has experianced with hominy, so here it is, starting with the basic procedure, and then moving on to notes:

open can and dump into collander(pasta strainer thingie). and rinse excessively, useing the faucet, and the little sprayer on a hose thing. then dig around in it by hand and rinse very well again.
dry well, preferibly in a towel, but paper towels work ok, kinda. it should be slightly damp but not dripping in the slightest.
put a small handful of DRY verm into the bottem of the jars, then fill between half and almost full with hominy(it doesn't shake well, so you don't need room for shaking). my friend used a double layer of house wrap tyvek for a lid.
PC it way more then you think you have to, there is a pinkish bacteria that pops up in all of them PC'd for less then an hour at 15psi, these days i recommend 1.5 hours at 15psi.
innoc with whatever your going to do it with, g2g, honey water, spores, whatever, and tape over 80-95% of the lid, assuming it's tyvek.
after letting the innoc water(assuming it was spores/honey water) run through it a bit, shake it up and try to evenly distribute the verm, it's not possible, but the more even it is the better it works.
incubate above 75-80 degrees, the B+ spores my friend used refused to germinate below 75-80ish.
shaking at 30% isn't recommended, or really very possible, it takes a LOT of force to get the hominy grains to come apart once they are colonized, and it seems to stall everything for a few)2-4) days, and not really speed up much of anything.
do you g2g, or casing, or whatever the same as you would with any other grain.

Notes:
It shouldn't require an hour plus of PCing, as inside the can it's perfectly steril, but the pink bacteria seems to be everywhere on everything, and germinates/grows FAR faster then cubensis myc, and will prevent the growth of everything. it can survive up to 45-55 minutes of 15psi PCing, sturdy little bastard.

Using hominy for a g2g into other grains hasn't worked well for my friend, as it tends to stay in clumps enless seriously abused, as which point it takes a while to recover, then when you shake the whatever the hominy will stay in a clumb and create air pockets and generaly be annoying. this isn't an issue for g2ging another hominy jar, as shaking them doesn't help in the first place.

Hominy will pin/grow INVITRO! i had a jar do it after drying out somewhat(didn't tape over enough of the jar lid, 90% is recommended) so it got 5-6cc's of water injected, with about 2cc's of peroxide mixed in to sterilize the water a bit. after three days it poped up eight pins, which grew quite quickly. as a note, this was in a one pint jar with half a pint or so of hominy.

Try to find the lowest sodium/serving you can, 180 is commen and just find, 680 is also common, and may or may not work. 120 has been found once, and some stores carry a "natural no sodium added" kind that only has 40mg/serving!

You really need to rinse it more then you think you do, the water in the car is saturated with corn starch, which will contam things no matter how long you pc, so rinse it till it is CLEAN. (don't use soap though :P)

Trip quality off B+'s grown in hominy cased with just verm is excellent, seemed more visual then usual with a bit less mental confusion compared to others at the same visual level. Remember this is a very subjective thing, and probably has more to do with mental state then strain/substrate, but you never know.

My friend found that for making casings it worked well to use gloved/steril hands(inside a positive pressure HEPA glovebox) to pull the grains apart, rather then using a spoon or something. spoons will cut right through the soft hominy and expose a lot of uncolonized grain, which if your using a steril casing and doing it in a clean area isn't a problem.

My friend used straight verm to case his, it was hydrated till squeezing a handfull got a drop or two to run off his hand, then then covered it with saran wrap and microwaved for three minutes.
it comes out HOT, like 200-300-400 degrees kind of hot, burn your hand instantly kind of hot, be careful!

I suspect that the housewrap tyveks lets more air/water through it then the postal stuff does, hence the taping over 80-95% of it. The bigger the jar the more air it needs, and the less you should tape it.

My friend is planning more invitro experiments, and i will post his results, if any, when he's done.

If any of you have any questions feel free to post them or PM my. My internet is dead at the moment so it will take a few days for me to reply.
(sorry for the spelling/grammer errors, hippie3(or any other mod) your welcome to fix any you notice, in fact, please do :P)

Ha, edited already, but by Me...

Hominy has an odd smell, that is fairly hard to describe. Take a few whiffs of your jars before you put the lids on, and after you put the lids on and remember that smell! there are a good number of invisibly contams that will make it smell either different and nasty, OR THE SAME, but much stronger!

--------------------
Admin @ mycotopia.net
Mycotopia

Offlinebuckeye
enthusiast
Loc: oHIo
    #2277781 - 01/27/04 01:56 PM (20 years, 2 months ago)

sounds interesting...I may give it a try once I more knowledge on mushies.

Thanks for the info though.

OnlineBaby_Hitler
Errorist
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #2278182 - 01/27/04 03:50 PM (20 years, 2 months ago)

PC it way more then you think you have to, there is a pinkish bacteria that pops up in all of them PC'd for less then an hour at 15psi, these days i recommend 1.5 hours at 15psi.

PC hominy? I thought the whole point of hominy was so you didn't need a PC.

--------------------

InvisibleHippie3
mycotopiate
 User Gallery

#2278225 - 01/27/04 04:14 PM (20 years, 2 months ago)

lol
once you open the can,
it's no longer sterile.
so one still must sterilize it.
[unless all work is done under flowhood]
'the whole point', if you will,
is that you don't need to hydrate hominy,
no soaking, no boiling, no added water to the jar, etc.
just open a can, rinse well, dump in a jar and PC.
that's enough to justify some research in my opinion.
and there's guys out there getting decent results with it,
like the guy above who's been using hominy for 3-4 months now.
not saying all you old timers will suddenly switch to hominy
but it seems to be helping some newer ones,
and that's what i'm after.

--------------------
Admin @ mycotopia.net
Mycotopia

OnlineBaby_Hitler
Errorist
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #2278248 - 01/27/04 04:24 PM (20 years, 2 months ago)

You shouldn't need to sterilize it in the PC. Steam sterilization should be enough. If not, then hominy is useless IMO.

A novelty at best.

--------------------

InvisibleHippie3
mycotopiate
 User Gallery

#2278307 - 01/27/04 04:44 PM (20 years, 2 months ago)

well, first of all,
you're leaping to a conclusion that's not warranted there.
he used a PC because he has one,
just as anyone with a PC would.
but there's nothing in his data that sez a PC
is required.
simply steaming for a couple hours may be just as good,
esp. since his problem was simple bacteria, not tough endospores. also it's worth noting that his bacteria problem was a local environmental hazard, other locales would not necessarily encounter the same.
more experiments would be needed to determine the case.
but hey, you're entitled to yer opinion.
but our friend Pskovinsky doesn't see hominy as just a novelty,
he's very happy with the shrooms he grew on it.
that counts for something in my book.

--------------------
Admin @ mycotopia.net
Mycotopia

InvisibleHippie3
mycotopiate
 User Gallery

#2278706 - 01/27/04 06:29 PM (20 years, 2 months ago)

here's another report just in,
more data to follow as it progresses.

Joe Millionaire (Rotterdam_y2k)
Username: Rotterdam_y2k

Post Number: 690

Posted on Tuesday, January 27, 2004 - 03:07 am:

10 or so days after birthing, my gal's SA on Hominey, cased w/ straight coir, is finally pinning. Here is a closeup.

--------------------
Admin @ mycotopia.net
Mycotopia

InvisibleHippie3
mycotopiate
 User Gallery

#2283029 - 01/29/04 05:33 AM (20 years, 2 months ago)

Posted on Wednesday, January 28, 2004 - 07:28 pm:

Update, 2 days later.

--------------------
Admin @ mycotopia.net
Mycotopia

InvisibleOldSpice
Geritol Breath...
Female User Gallery

Loc: Crankytown, Texas
    #2285098 - 01/29/04 07:17 PM (20 years, 2 months ago)

--------------------
So hard to be ....WDWGFH?
Texas is humongus compared to France
Our Gair, who art in Texas,
Paw Paw be thy Name....
My friends are thirsty

You never see a motorcycle parked outside a Psychiatrist office:biker:

Offlineangryjslice
now with 20%more anger
Male

Folding@home Statistics
Re: The Hominy Project [Re: OldSpice]
    #2285308 - 01/29/04 08:30 PM (20 years, 2 months ago)

just picked up 2 cans of food club white hominy...i plan on steam sterilizing a mix of hominy and verm, and innocing with a killer disqustingly fast and extremly aggresive bit of creepers liquid culture. ill post picks when i get that far.

~JSlice~

--------------------

InvisibleHippie3
mycotopiate
 User Gallery

Re: The Hominy Project [Re: angryjslice]
    #2291530 - 02/01/04 10:43 AM (20 years, 1 month ago)

cool, thx,
every report helps us to gain expertise.
here's another update from Joe Millionaire (Rotterdam_y2k)
same tray as above a few days later.

--------------------
Admin @ mycotopia.net
Mycotopia

InvisibleBi0TeK
elephant man

Loc: Yorkshire Moors, Great Br...
    #2292307 - 02/01/04 06:20 PM (20 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

Baby_Hitler said:

A novelty at best.

What, like your  Pixie Packs???  :lol:

--------------------
PROMOTE BACTERIA. THEY'RE THE ONLY CULTURE SOME PEOPLE HAVE.

InvisibleHippie3
mycotopiate
 User Gallery

Re: The Hominy Project [Re: Bi0TeK]
    #2293445 - 02/02/04 06:04 AM (20 years, 1 month ago)

lol
bet there are more folks out there
growing on hominy
then there are folks
making 'pixie packs'.
good one!
btw, there's now a nice photo rich version of my hominy tek
here-
hominy tek
i tried to post it directly here
but ran into this damn 'upload limit'
so i uploaded what i could & i'll return later
to do the rest, and see if i can't fix the posts
where the pix are missing because we moved the
to our archives, breaking the imagelink.
just need a higher upload limit so i could get it
done right the first time by uploading here
instead of resorting to links.

--------------------
Admin @ mycotopia.net
Mycotopia

Edited by Hippie3 (02/02/04 07:04 AM)

InvisibleOldSpice
Geritol Breath...
Female User Gallery

#2295228 - 02/02/04 07:40 PM (20 years, 1 month ago)

--------------------
Paw Paw be thy Name....
My friends are thirsty

InvisibleHippie3
mycotopiate
 User Gallery

#2295399 - 02/02/04 08:17 PM (20 years, 1 month ago)

a month's really slow,
mine finished very quickly,

that's 5 days after germination

InvisibleOldSpice
Geritol Breath...
Female User Gallery

#2295890 - 02/02/04 11:00 PM (20 years, 1 month ago)

--------------------
Paw Paw be thy Name....
My friends are thirsty

InvisibleHippie3
mycotopiate
 User Gallery

#2296587 - 02/03/04 06:53 AM (20 years, 1 month ago)

i did it wrong way back then,
when i used a spoon to get it out of the jar,
which is why i let it recover a few extra days.
the hominy is soft so the spoon cut it,
exposing uncolonized areas
BUT now we know that using fingers is much better,
as Pskovinsky mentions above.
and so, in truth, hominy is almost as fast as popcorn.
if it took a month, you did something wrong.

--------------------
Admin @ mycotopia.net
Mycotopia

InvisibleHippie3
mycotopiate
 User Gallery

#2296687 - 02/03/04 07:58 AM (20 years, 1 month ago)

Hominy Prep

Hominy is available at Walmart and other fine food stores

This 6lb 10oz can cost around $2.30 which is less than .40 a lb. Yellow hominy can be substituted for white. It is easier to see the mycelium develop on the yellow.

The beauty of Hominy is that there is very little prep involved. Remember Economics 101? There is an opportunity cost to everything.

Get all the supplies in order.

Can of Hominy
Quart Jars w/ lids
Vermiculite
Spores/Innoculum

A close up of the Hominy. It looks like bloated pieces of corn.

Wash the hominy very well to remove the excess sodium. Taste if necessary. If it doesn't taste too salty, then it probably isn't.

Put a 1/4" layer of dry verm in the jars.

Fill with hominy.

Cover with aluminum foil and steam/PC for 1 hour .

Inoculate via spore injection, liquid innoculum, agar, etc...

After three days, shake the jar to evenly distribute the vermiculite. The verm covering the hominy does not adversely effect mycellial growth.

Case per your favourite method. Birth normally. Should be able to be used as spawn.
Good luck.

In a few weeks, you could be staring at this beauty!

1st flush of a 4 qt casing of hominy [scale was on TARE]

February 03, 2004 - 11:50 am:
Picked this morning from hominy. 2nd flush underway.

InvisibleHippie3
mycotopiate
 User Gallery

#2336596 - 02/15/04 05:28 AM (20 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

Hippie3 said:
cool, thx,

second flush, same tray, 2 weeks later

--------------------
Admin @ mycotopia.net
Mycotopia

InvisibleHippie3
mycotopiate
 User Gallery

#2336964 - 02/15/04 10:28 AM (20 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

Hippie3 said:
Quote:

Hippie3 said:
cool, thx,

second flush, same tray, 2 weeks later

Quote:

Username: Rotterdam_y2k

Post Number: 827

Posted on Sunday, February 15, 2004 - 02:38 pm:

my girl emailed me the 2nd flush results.
125 wet

Quote:

It seems that hominy is a great substrate that gives the mushrooms an opportunity to get some size to them. Some of those mushrooms my girlfriend's roommate was holding in his hand were over 6" tall.

The appropriate isolate with thick meaty stems could flourish on hominy.

Imagine if her casing had an even pinset? A casing like that could put out 40grams dry easy.

--------------------
Admin @ mycotopia.net
Mycotopia

InvisibleOldSpice
Geritol Breath...
Female User Gallery

#2339725 - 02/16/04 12:41 AM (20 years, 1 month ago)

--------------------
Paw Paw be thy Name....
My friends are thirsty

InvisibleHippie3
mycotopiate
 User Gallery

#2340136 - 02/16/04 05:12 AM (20 years, 1 month ago)

i'm not saying it's for everyone.
it's not even the 'best' substrate.
but it IS easy,
and it DOES work.

--------------------
Admin @ mycotopia.net
Mycotopia

InvisibleOldSpice
Geritol Breath...
Female User Gallery

#2340145 - 02/16/04 05:25 AM (20 years, 1 month ago)

--------------------
Paw Paw be thy Name....
My friends are thirsty

InvisibleHippie3
mycotopiate
 User Gallery

#2340232 - 02/16/04 06:40 AM (20 years, 1 month ago)

thx.
my real intent behind my work on this
is to help those newbies
who might feel intimidated by the
ordeal of properly hydrating grain
for use.
one can use hominy right out of a can,
no pre-soak, no boiling, etc.
its' simplicity is its' chief advantage.

--------------------
Admin @ mycotopia.net
Mycotopia

InvisibleHippie3
mycotopiate
 User Gallery

#2375503 - 02/25/04 05:38 AM (20 years, 1 month ago)

--------------------
Admin @ mycotopia.net
Mycotopia

Edited by Hippie3 (02/25/04 05:41 AM)

InvisiblePsychoslut
The Mother Fucking Bear-o-dactyl
 User Gallery
Loc: all up in ya
    #2379610 - 02/26/04 12:35 PM (20 years, 1 month ago)

what is the point of the dry verm on the bottom, and should i be useing dry verm on the bottom for my popcorn?

--------------------

[quote]KristiMidocean said:
Good now thats clear.WHO FUCKING CARES. If I am fat u all keep pointing it out like its suppose to be a secret.LIke u really have nothing better to do then make fat jokes. If o know its like I do I know yall can come up with NEW AND BETTER SHIT . This shit is old and boring . I left in the first place cause this shit got boring not because of the fat jokes . Fat jokes dont bother me but seriously its old[/quote]

InvisibleHippie3
mycotopiate
 User Gallery

Re: The Hominy Project [Re: Psychoslut]
    #2379930 - 02/26/04 02:13 PM (20 years, 1 month ago)

it's there to soak up any excess water.
i do recommend it for popcorn as well.

--------------------
Admin @ mycotopia.net
Mycotopia

Offlinethisspock
Masters Student

Loc: haha,..riiiight.
    #2386595 - 02/28/04 12:48 PM (20 years, 1 month ago)

I wonder, would it be better to actually mix the verm and hominy? I have a foaf in the process of a hominy grow and it seems that after he cooks the jars that the hominy has a LOT of excess moisture. He did drain and dry it thoroughly but it still seem to release a lot of moisture.

I'm not sure if the verm is actually absorbing the water, just wondering if you had any thoughts on this.

InvisibleHippie3
mycotopiate
 User Gallery

Re: The Hominy Project [Re: thisspock]
    #2388325 - 02/29/04 05:41 AM (20 years, 1 month ago)

" would it be better to actually mix the verm and hominy?"

i advise shaking once to mix at about the 5 day mark.

--------------------
Admin @ mycotopia.net
Mycotopia

InvisibleAlienPrimate
Brachiator
    #2394810 - 03/02/04 11:32 AM (20 years, 1 month ago)

Hey Hip, is mycotopia down? Page won't load for me today.

--------------------
I said "no" to drugs but drugs just aint takin no for an answer!

InvisibleHippie3
mycotopiate
 User Gallery

Re: The Hominy Project [Re: AlienPrimate]
    #2397425 - 03/03/04 07:12 AM (20 years, 30 days ago)

just a brief DNS hiccup
as we try to fix a problem
with our PM system.
just keep trying,
the board is up, running
and many folks are getting in fine.

--------------------
Admin @ mycotopia.net
Mycotopia

InvisiblePsychoslut
 User Gallery
    #2406887 - 03/08/04 12:09 PM (20 years, 25 days ago)

why hominy, hows come not canned sweet corn?

--------------------

Good now thats clear.WHO FUCKING CARES. If I am fat u all keep pointing it out like its suppose to be a secret.LIke u really have nothing better to do then make fat jokes. If o know its like I do I know yall can come up with NEW AND BETTER SHIT . This shit is old and boring . I left in the first place cause this shit got boring not because of the fat jokes . Fat jokes dont bother me but seriously its old[/quote]

InvisibleHippie3
mycotopiate
 User Gallery

Re: The Hominy Project [Re: Psychoslut]
    #2410138 - 03/09/04 05:57 AM (20 years, 24 days ago)

dunno,
give it a try.
someone did one try with it, failed
and so no one else has tried yet.

--------------------
Admin @ mycotopia.net
Mycotopia

InvisiblePsychoslut
 User Gallery
    #2414924 - 03/10/04 12:16 PM (20 years, 23 days ago)

dude i messed up, i shook my verm into my hom right after cooling, then innoced and shook a lil more, you think it may still work?

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9  [ show all ]

Shop: Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale