Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: North Spore Cultivation Supplies   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck

Jump to first unread post Pages: < Back | 1 | 2  [ show all ]
Invisiblejewunit
Brutal!
Male User Gallery

Loc: Ohio Flag
Re: anyone here taken music theory in college? [Re: millzy]
    #17347059 - 12/06/12 09:20 PM (11 years, 4 months ago)

I would absolutely recommend anyone who is interested in being a musician of any sort to take theory 101. There's a difference between theory beyond that and intro, but intro to theory classes are pretty much the most basic of basic knowledge. Reading music, knowing the circle of fifths, understanding major and minor keys, and knowing basic triads are something anyone should know. In fact, lots and lots of people I've taken theory classes with at community college knew most of the slightly more advanced things, but were taking the course just to get the foundation (reading music) down under their belts. Yeah, you can get away without being able to read music, but there's really very little purpose. It's not hard to learn.

Quote:

timelapses said:
I like concerts, I hate how so many hold up their electronic equipment to record parts of the concert.  When I was younger they would of never allowed it.  I feel like smashing into them as I'm a crowd surfer and hate the reflection of those damn devices.

I think you're in the wrong thread, dude.

--------------------
!

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Invisiblemillzy
Male

Re: anyone here taken music theory in college? [Re: jewunit]
    #17347080 - 12/06/12 09:24 PM (11 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

jewunit said:
I would absolutely recommend anyone who is interested in being a musician of any sort to take theory 101. There's a difference between theory beyond that and intro, but intro to theory classes are pretty much the most basic of basic knowledge. Reading music, knowing the circle of fifths, understanding major and minor keys, and knowing basic triads are something anyone should know.

wouldn't you say that you can learn all of that with instrument lessons? i found the material in my class to be difficult and frustrating. obviously i'm not a musician though.

--------------------
I'm up to my ears in unwritten words. - J.D. Salinger

Invisiblejewunit
Brutal!
Male User Gallery

Loc: Ohio Flag
Re: anyone here taken music theory in college? [Re: millzy]
    #17347182 - 12/06/12 09:41 PM (11 years, 4 months ago)

You can, but usually you don't. Instrument lessons teach you how to play an instrument. That's where I learned how to read music, through learning instruments growing up. However I never learned a lick of theory beyond that because it was completely non-essential to playing an instrument at a basic level, and it gimped me hard down the road.

If you're serious about music, supplementing instrument lessons with theory courses will be better than only doing one or the other. If it's a hobby, having a basic foundation of theory knowledge won't hurt.

--------------------
!

Jump to top Pages: < Back | 1 | 2  [ show all ]

Shop: North Spore Cultivation Supplies   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck