Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineAndrewWhitfield
Hunter;)
 User Gallery

Look alikes?
    #17335702 - 12/04/12 10:12 PM (11 years, 3 months ago)

I was wondering how can you tell the difference between Cortinarius species and Gymnopilus Luteus? Because here recently I was hunting and found a fallen oak tree, when I uncovered some pine straw and stuff, there were many yellow wave shaped caps, I picked one, thinking it might be G. Luteus and did a spore print to make sure. Checked on some look alikes and theres a scary resemblance, Same spore print and everything. So can anybody tell me how to identify these mushrooms? Any information is appreciated.

--------------------
"The best thing about music, is when it hit's you, you feel no pain."

- Nesta Robert Marley    :cross:

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlinecanid
irregular meat sprocket
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: looking for zeebras, n. c...
Trusted Identifier
Re: Look alikes? [Re: AndrewWhitfield]
    #17335723 - 12/04/12 10:18 PM (11 years, 3 months ago)

To start with, Cortinarius are terrestrial mushrooms while G. luteus, in common with G. junonius grow directly from dead trees or their roots.

What you need to learn is not to distinguish this mushroom from Cortinarius because you believe them similar, but to distinguish this muhshroom from all others.

--------------------

Attn PWN hunters: If you should come across a bluing Psilocybe matching P. pellicolusa please smell it.
If you detect a scent reminiscent of Anethole (anise) please preserve a specimen or two for study and please PM me.

Edited by canid (12/04/12 10:24 PM)

OfflineAndrewWhitfield
Hunter;)
 User Gallery

Re: Look alikes? [Re: canid]
    #17335749 - 12/04/12 10:24 PM (11 years, 3 months ago)

Well this one was pretty close to this dead stump, which was also close to like 3 fallen trees, and all were right beside a creek bed. But Idk, maybe if I uncovered everything I could see if they were coming out of a root maybe?

--------------------

InvisibleGravija
Make way for the cavalcade
Male User Gallery

Loc: Chicago, Illinois, USA
Trusted Identifier
Re: Look alikes? [Re: AndrewWhitfield]
    #17335803 - 12/04/12 10:36 PM (11 years, 3 months ago)

There are some species of Cortinarius that can be confused with Gymnopilus, But there are several big differences between the two genera that should simplify things. Foremost, Cortinarius are mycorrhizal- instead of decomposing a substrate they form a symbiotic relationship with specific trees. The mycelium penetrates or encapsulates the roots of the partner organism with which it shares nutrients. What this means to you is that Cortinarius mushrooms will always be found terrestrially, Very few Gymnopilus will.

Gymnopilus are saprobes that decompose fallen trees and woody debris. Most species can be found on logs and deadstands. A couple of species can be found on buried roots- this is where the confusion with Cortinarius may occur. Fortunately, the terrestrial species of Gymnopilus posses unique morphology and can, for the most part, be easily distinguished from look-alikes.

Cortinarius isn't the only look alike. There are also the dangerous Omphalotus illudens and the deadly Galerina marginata to be considered. Caution should always be exerted, and mushrooms should always be 100% identified before being consumed. You would do well to familiarize yourself with the species I mentioned.

For good descriptions of a large variety of mushrooms you should check out http://www.mushroomexpert.com.

For information about Gymnopilus you can check http://www.Gymnopilus.org, which is under construction and gradually updating it's species list.

Good luck.This time of year you should search for Gymnopilus junonius.
Bring us lots of mushrooms to identify, please.

--------------------
Listen to my music

Here

OfflineAndrewWhitfield
Hunter;)
 User Gallery

Re: Look alikes? [Re: Gravija]
    #17337438 - 12/05/12 09:43 AM (11 years, 3 months ago)

Thankyou! All that helped alot.

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags