Home | Community | Message Board

Magic-Mushrooms-Shop.com
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: Coir, Vermiculite, Wild Bird Seed

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflineEthanEdwards
In which Dorisgets her oats

my casing
    #1730995 - 07/19/03 10:30 PM (13 years, 4 months ago)

hi, my friend has straw that he mixed with wbs, and when that was colonized well he put on a casing layer of verm/coir and after he saw some white in the valleys he put that in his terrarium. but the mycelium keeps on growing is looks like it is going to colonize the entire casing layer and he is worried about overlay. he has heard that this could be the result of too high humidity, lack of light, or build up of c02. he has a cool mist hooked up to the terrarium and leaves it on all the time so he thinks it couldnt be an air exchange problem, and from what he understands the cool mist provides around 90 percent humidity so he thinks that is probably right, and he has a little light to provide the casing with light a few hours a day. he is wondering what the problem could be or what to do to initiate pinning cause it has been in the terrarium for over a week and he isnt seeing anything except more and more mycelium.

--------------------
Everybody must give something back for something they got.- Bob Dylan

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Offlinekukusz
Owner of belowhot monkey!

Loc: East Coast
Re: my casing [Re: EthanEdwards]
    #1731097 - 07/19/03 11:08 PM (13 years, 4 months ago)

Depending on your setup, your cool mist might be completely drying it out or oversaturating (most likely over, but). To say that the a cool mist provides around 90% humididty is really false, I mean it depends on the length of your hose, how wide it is, where the hose is hooked up, what kind of humidifer it is, what size terrarium you have, how many and what sized air exchange holes you have.... etc etc etc. Try dropping the temperature of the terrarium, put some ice-packs in there and try to get it to like a steady 72-74, maybe even lower for one night to innitiate pinning. Casing requires at most like 80% humidity anyways, so try running your cool mist a little less as well.

Remember, fruiting temperatures for Cubensis are 74-76f (sorry if you know this but there was nothing in your post on temperature.) and colonizing temperature for mycelium is around 86f, so make sure your temperature is not too high, I would say this is the main problem. The humidity issue for casing is mainly an issue with possible contamination, not that a high humidity would do damage to casing otherwise (correct me if I am wrong).

--------------------
All of my posts are for discussion purposes only. All posts concerning cultivation of mushrooms refer to legal gourmet mushrooms only. Yes, I support monkey-human relationships.

Edited by kukusz (07/19/03 11:11 PM)

Invisiblegeorge castanzaM
Lord Of The Idiots!
 User Gallery Arcade Champion: BurgerTime, Space Invaders
Trusted Cultivator
Re: my casing [Re: kukusz]
    #1731105 - 07/19/03 11:13 PM (13 years, 4 months ago)

patience my friend all is well
says kramer

--------------------

Quote:

pftek said:Impossible to clean everything right now. Maybe in a week.

ROTHBURY

:pm:

OfflineEthanEdwards
In which Dorisgets her oats

Re: my casing [Re: george castanza]
    #1731327 - 07/20/03 01:04 AM (13 years, 4 months ago)

Yeah, i was a bit worried about temperature because the incubation closet is the same space as the fruiting closet so i thought there might be a problem when trying to initiate fruiting

--------------------
Everybody must give something back for something they got.- Bob Dylan

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop for: Coir, Vermiculite, Wild Bird Seed

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation