Home | Community | Message Board

Out-Grow.com - Mushroom Growing Kits & Supplies
Please support our sponsors.

Feedback and Administration >> Shroomery News Service

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Original Seeds Store Shop: buy cannabis seeds, Buy CBD

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflinemotamanM
old hand
 User Gallery
Alarm over magic mushroom sale
    #1730865 - 07/19/03 09:35 PM (14 years, 4 months ago)

http://www.eveningstar.co.uk/Content/news/story.asp?datetime=19+Jul+2003+18%3A00&tbrand=ESTOnline&tCategory=News&category=News&brand=ESTOnline&itemid=IPED19+Jul+2003+07%3A55%3A46%3A450

Alarm over magic mushroom sale

BY JON TUNNEY

July 19, 2003 18:00

DRUG experts were today appalled to learn that magic mushrooms which can cause severe mental illness, are being sold over the counter.

Suffolk's Drug Action Team spoke out after The Evening Star revealed the hallucinogenic plants are being sold in Ipswich town centre at The Purple Shop.

Co-ordinator Carey Godfrey said: "We are very concerned that shops or people are selling magic mushrooms.

"Although they are legal to possess, they can have very dangerous side-effects and can trigger mental health problems. It's very irresponsible to market these sorts of drugs and we would hope that it would not continue.

"It's especially worrying if young people are going to be encouraged to use them."

Drug action team educator Robin Herne said users could expect a similar effect to LSD.

And he warned of the danger users face of eating highly poisonous fungi they may have confused with liberty cap mushrooms.

A Home Office spokesman confirmed there was nothing illegal in selling magic mushrooms ? as long as they were in the state nature intended.

Magic mushrooms generally contain either psilocin or psilocybin ? both Class A banned substances.

But the spokesman said the mushrooms were perfectly legal, as long as there had been no attempt to extract the drugs.

He said if the plants were dried, powdered or even frozen it would be against the law. And he warned even putting the mushrooms in a fridge to keep them fresh could be judged illegal in the courts.

Mr Godfrey warned that even though the plants are legal and natural, their effects can be just as worrying as unlawful drugs.

He said: "Some people have had very bad experiences with these sorts of drugs where they thought they were going mad and were not in control of themselves."

Lyndsay Thomes, owner of the Purple Shop in Fonnereau Road, said: "Everything we sell is perfectly legal, the pipes and bongs are meant for tobacco use. The mushrooms we sell have not been prepared in anyway so are also perfectly legal. We only sell them to people aged over 18 and we are strict on ID. The demand across the UK is massive.

"The mushrooms are originally from South America and but are grown in Amsterdam. Their spores have been found in graves that are over 2,500 years old so they have been used for a very long time."

"They contain a chemical called Psillocybin that the human body already contains. All the mushrooms do is give it a boost. They are not illegal, not addictive and are perfectly safe. It is just a bit of harmless fun, a natural high.

"Anti-drugs campaigners should worry about the illegal class 'A's that are available in the town centre or perhaps look at alcohol as their main target.

"Saying that taking the mushrooms will lead on to harder drugs is like saying if you drink beer it will lead you on to drinking whiskey all the time. I'm a beer drinker and still drink beer."

"Retailers should not be targeted as we are doing nothing wrong. If a product is legal and in demand then someone is going to sell it. The problem needs to be tackled by the government not by the retailer. The product has Home Office approval."

--------------------
http://heffter.org

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflineTwirling
Barred Spiral
Male

Re: Alarm over magic mushroom sale [Re: motaman]
    #1731511 - 07/20/03 02:28 AM (14 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

motaman said:
DRUG experts were today appalled to learn that magic mushrooms which can cause severe mental illness, are being sold over the counter.

If they think mushrooms can cause mental illnesses then they aren't drug experts. Mushrooms may bring out a mental illness if it's lying dorment in a person, but frankly I think most of the world is so delusional and psychotic from not taking mushrooms.

--------------------
The very nature of experience is ineffable; it transcends cognitive thought and intellectualized analysis. To be without experience is to be without an emotional knowledge of what the experience translates into. The desire for the understanding of what life is made of is the motivation that drives us all. Without it, in fear of the experiences what life can hold is among the greatest contradictions; to live in fear of death while not being alive.

Offlinepattern
multiplayer

Loc: Canada
    #1731712 - 07/20/03 04:28 AM (14 years, 4 months ago)

> They contain a chemical called Psillocybin that the human body already contains.

What?? This article has not been fact checked!

--------------------
man = monkey + mushroom

InvisibleWorld Spirit
PNW
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #1731858 - 07/20/03 07:16 AM (14 years, 4 months ago)

Deleted by admin

Anonymous

#1731986 - 07/20/03 11:29 AM (14 years, 4 months ago)

"DRUG experts were today appalled to learn that magic mushrooms which can cause severe mental illness, are being sold over the counter."

aaaaghhh!

Invisiblechodamunky
Cheers!

Loc: sailing the seas of chees...
    #1732108 - 07/20/03 12:51 PM (14 years, 4 months ago)

He said: "Some people have had very bad experiences with these sorts of drugs where they thought they were going mad and were not in control of themselves."

Uh huh, and I have had bad experiences after eating McDonald's where my intestines felt out of control like they were going to explode, I wildly ran to the nearest bathroom where I sat out the rest of my "bad trip" on the john. After the terrifying experience I came out feeling refreshed with a new outlook on life.  :tongue: Okay okay, it is known that many people feel like they are going mad or feel out of control on shrooms but that doesn't mean they will hurt themselves or others. Bad trips can be the most enlightening but this so called "drug expert" has obviously never spoken to people who have experienced bad trips let alone good trips. Psychadelics are not for everyone but that doesn't mean everyone shouldn't be allowed to use them.

OfflineJackal
Well Versed In Etiquette
 User Gallery

Re: Alarm over magic mushroom sale [Re: World Spirit]
    #1732249 - 07/20/03 02:25 PM (14 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

Enter said:
Fresh mushrooms are still legal in the UK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!?????????????????? 

Yes, but popularity is on the increase. But I fear it won't be long before possession is made illegal :frown:

--------------------

InvisibleDazedSol
old hand

#1732733 - 07/20/03 05:59 PM (14 years, 4 months ago)

It should read.........

"Drug Experts" and "Drug Action Team" can cause mental illness :P

--------------------
Peace,
Adam

OfflineHans_Moleman
????

Loc: Canadia
Re: Alarm over magic mushroom sale [Re: DazedSol]
    #1732948 - 07/20/03 07:35 PM (14 years, 4 months ago)

"highly poisonous fungi"

--------------------
One of the reasons marijuana is illegal today because growers in the 30s lobbied against hemp farmers -- they saw it as competition, because It is not chemically addictive as is nicotine, alcohol, or caffeine.

OfflineLearyfan
It's the psychedelic movement!
Male User Gallery

Loc: High pride!
    #1733564 - 07/21/03 12:38 AM (14 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

hallucinogenic plants

--------------------
--------------------------------

Mp3 of the month: Brass Toads - In The Back Of My Mind

OfflineTheHobbit
Pot Head Pixie

Loc: the Oily Way...
Re: Alarm over magic mushroom sale [Re: Hans_Moleman]
    #1734356 - 07/21/03 09:30 AM (14 years, 4 months ago)

Yeah, it is sad how far removed from nature we've become such that people think something as valuable as sacred mushrooms are dangerous and cancause mental illness, when Western culture itself is one big mental illness, monotheistic, male-dominated, nature-destroying, and unsustainable. We need Global Mushroom holidays.

Invisiblematts
matts

[Re: TheHobbit]
    #1734490 - 07/21/03 11:41 AM (14 years, 4 months ago)

OfflineHans_Moleman
????

Loc: Canadia
(NA) Re: Alarm over magic mushroom sale [Re: matts]
    #1735372 - 07/21/03 05:07 PM (14 years, 4 months ago)

who ever wrote this article should be fired.

--------------------
One of the reasons marijuana is illegal today because growers in the 30s lobbied against hemp farmers -- they saw it as competition, because It is not chemically addictive as is nicotine, alcohol, or caffeine.

Offlinemonoamine
umask 077(nonefor you)

Loc: Jacksonville,FL
Re: (NA) Re: Alarm over magic mushroom sale [Re: Hans_Moleman]
    #1750210 - 07/26/03 06:35 AM (14 years, 4 months ago)

Call me stupid-but one would think the label of "drug expert" would require one to actually have injested some form of drugs.

Their was a time when pharmacologists actually self experimented with the drugs they were creating in a limited fashion.

--------------------
People think that if you just say the word "hallucinations" it explains everything you want it to explain and eventually whatever it is you can't explain will just go away.It's just a word,it doesn't explain anything...
Douglas Adams

OfflineHarvestTheBrain
CultDeVader

Loc: WNY
Re: (NA) Re: Alarm over magic mushroom sale [Re: monoamine]
    #1752114 - 07/27/03 02:16 AM (14 years, 4 months ago)

oh my god.....chodamunky....i had the EXACT SAME BAD TRIP ON McDONALDS FOOD!!!!!!!! That shit should be illegal

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Original Seeds Store Shop: buy cannabis seeds, Buy CBD

Feedback and Administration >> Shroomery News Service