Home | Community | Message Board

NorthSpore.com BOOMR Bag!
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Myyco.com APE Liquid Culture For Sale   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | Next >  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineWorkmanV
1999 Spore War Veteran
Male User Gallery

Loc: Oregon, USA
Trusted Cultivator
Guide to Common Contaminate Mushrooms * 21
    #17305253 - 11/29/12 07:41 PM (11 years, 3 months ago)

Mushroom Cultivation: Guide to Common Contaminate Mushrooms

"I grew mushrooms but they don't look right"

Not all contamination is slimy or moldy.  Sometimes a mushroom substrate can unintentionally produce unwanted mushrooms.

Presenting an informational collection of images of contaminate mushrooms growing on cakes or in trays.  The list is rather short so you should be able to find your rogue mushrooms here.  If you find something completely different, let me know and I'll add it to the list.  All images are of actual contaminate mushrooms observed and documented by members of the Shroomery forums.

-------------------------------------------------------------

#1 Schizophyllum commune (Common Split gill)

This is an extremely common contaminate mushroom, often mistaken for small Pleurotus (oyster mushrooms).  The mushrooms start out looking like a tiny flask before flattening out to the mature fan-like form.  This species has a worldwide distribution where it is usually found growing on wood.  Despite it being a highly successful wood decaying fungus, it seems just as happy on rice flour and vermiculite. 

Reported in the forums several times a year, with reports spiking in the summer months.  Forum posts suggest that the usual source of this mushroom contaminate is natural environmental spore load.

This species is actually edible, but is usually designated as inedible in guidebooks because of its tough, chewy texture. 

Schizophyllum commune - collected Shroomery posts

Tom Volk's Mushroom of the Month Schizopyllum commune
--------------------------------------------------------------

#2 Small Gray Unknown (Spikes)

A less common but not rare contaminate, sometimes mistaken for Panaeolus or malformed Pleurotus (oyster mushrooms).  The mushrooms are small and thin with white spores.  The cap and stem are the same color, usually grayish. Reported about once a year on this forum. This is almost certainly a collection of similar species since there is some variability in appearance.  Collybia is a possible genus.  The contamination source is apparently environmental spore load.  Not active or edible, possibly poisonous. DO NOT EAT!

Threads with  for above images

Rahz (2005)
bensoncd1990 (2007)
juggaloskater (2008)
gmarkball (2011)
Scarousel (2012)
F4112N (2012)
capncaveman (2014)

Microscopy of juggaloskater specimen

The reports of this rarer type of contaminate are hard to find in the forums since they lack common search keywords, so let me know if I missed any.  I am pretty sure I've seen a few more over the years.

#3 Pleurotus (Oyster Mushrooms)

Oyster mushrooms are a fairly common contaminate but unlike #1 and #2, these rarely (never?) occur due to wild spores.  The oyster mushrooms are usually malformed and not immediately recognizable.  They are extremely sensitive to the high CO2 levels often found in low-tech passive grow chambers.  The lack of adequate air exchange causes reduced funnel shaped caps and elongated stems.  Cap color can be white, brown, blue or yellow, depending on the oyster species (pink is possible but has yet to be observed as a contaminate).  Stems are white, spores are white to pale lilac.

Update with pink oyster example.
https://www.reddit.com/r/shroomery/comments/14653dp/a_cautionary_tale_of_pink_oysters/

There are 3 main causes for oyster mushrooms to appear where they are not expected. 

A mixup of cultures/trays by the cultivator that is growing more than one species, one of which are oyster mushrooms. 

A high oyster spore load from an earlier successful oyster mushroom fruiting has contaminated the cultivation area. 

Contaminated spore prints from side by side growing of oysters and other species.  This has been known to happen with purchased and traded spores.  Oyster mushrooms are very aggressive and can overgrow most other desirable species even if only a few oyster spores are present. Not active, Edible (choice if grown properly) 

The far right image by Lorddavros (see Weird link below) shows cubensis and oysters growing from the same cake.  An outstanding example of oyster contamination. 

A small selection of unintentional oyster mushroom cultivation posts

Oysters
Oysters instead of Cubensis
Weird
Strange

#4 Coprinoids (Inky Caps)

A common contaminate mushroom often seen in bulk cultivations using manures, composts, straw or soils.  The spores of many coprinoids are thermotolerant and can survive inadequate pasteurization.  There are many species but the contaminating types are all fast growing and fragile with most dissolving into an inky liquid at maturity. The cap coloration can be white, brown or gray.  The young caps are usually egg shaped, but mature into a bell or parasol shape before melting down.  Spores are black.  Not active, not edible (some species can be somewhat toxic, but none are considered deadly)

Threads
Oddball
Mushroom contaminate
Inky caps
More inky caps
Albino PE?

The Shroomery Contaminate page, includes inky caps

#5 Psilocybe cubensis (Cubes)

Psilocybe cubensis can contaminate Panaeolus cyanescens (and allies) cultivations and more rarely other species.  The reasons are the same as with oyster contamination (see #3 above) with the additional factor of spores intentionally or mistakenly mislabeled (both species have dark spores so the spore prints are visually similar)

Interestingly, trays of fully colonized Panaeolus can produce a normal flush of Panaeolus mushrooms before becoming overwhelmed by Cubensis mycelium and fruiting cubensis for the 2nd and following flushes.  This generally happens when both species are grown in close proximity and the grow area is loaded with free cubensis spores.  It appears that the Panaeolus colonized substrate is selective for cubensis colonization.  This hints at the possibility of sequential use of manure based substrates. 

Although Cubensis contamination is common, pictures are almost always of one species or the other.  Currently I am only able to find one good Shroomery posted picture showing both species growing in the same container.  The two pictures on the right are from the thehawkseye and mycotopia.  If I find more Shroomery posted pictures I will replace the the offsite ones.

Pans don't look like pans

Rogue mushrooms

Cubensis instead of Oysters

#6 Everything else

Rare events that don't fit in the above.

Polypore?

Stemonitis splendens. Chocolate Tube Slime Mold

*minor edits: 3/28/2020

Edited by Workman (06/11/23 01:00 PM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineDeemstar
Doctor Deemstar
 User Gallery

Loc: The void Flag
Re: Guide to Common Contaminate Mushrooms [Re: Workman] * 3
    #17305983 - 11/29/12 10:00 PM (11 years, 3 months ago)

Good read, thank you for the information. Those hary coprinoids is the craziest shroom I've ever seen.

--------------------
Gnome-miii-odd
JAH!!! Pasta-far-eye!:bigblunt:
R.I.P. Georgie poor G
A.K.A. Jorgon Lucy

OfflineWorkmanV
1999 Spore War Veteran
Male User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: Guide to Common Contaminate Mushrooms [Re: Deemstar] * 4
    #17306022 - 11/29/12 10:11 PM (11 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

Deemstar said:
Good read, thank you for the information. Those hary coprinoids is the craziest shroom I've ever seen.

That is Coprinopsis lagopus if you want to use the Google for more information.

--------------------
Research funded by the patrons of
The Spore Works
Exotic Spore Supply

My Instagram
Reinvesting 25% of Sales Towards Basic Research and Species Identification :amanitajar:

InvisibleEvilMushroom666
Heretic
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Canada Flag
Trusted Cultivator
    #17309788 - 11/30/12 03:23 PM (11 years, 3 months ago)

Very interesting read, thank you for sharing!

InvisibleFrankHorrigan
The Inquisition
Male

Trusted Cultivator
Re: Guide to Common Contaminate Mushrooms [Re: Workman] * 2
    #18469649 - 06/25/13 12:28 PM (10 years, 8 months ago)

Good stuff Workman, as always :thumbup:

--------------------

Yes, you can bump my old threads with a question.
Here is how I get things done.
You should take a look. :hehehe:

Frank's tips and tricks. Updated on 3/21/14
AMU- Get an answer here -AMU

OfflineKizzle
Misanthrope
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: Guide to Common Contaminate Mushrooms [Re: FrankHorrigan] * 2
    #18469703 - 06/25/13 12:41 PM (10 years, 8 months ago)

If I remember correctly I think Inky Caps are edible before they start decomposing. They produce some chemical though that is toxic if you consume with alcohol. Can anyone confirm this?

--------------------

OfflineWorkmanV
1999 Spore War Veteran
Male User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: Guide to Common Contaminate Mushrooms [Re: Kizzle] * 3
    #18469788 - 06/25/13 12:59 PM (10 years, 8 months ago)

It depends on what you are calling Inky Caps.  If you mean Coprinopsis atramentaria, then yes, you are correct.  But if you mean any Coprinoid type, inky melting mushroom that you are likely to find as a contaminate in your mushroom growing efforts, then no.

Alcohol Inky:
http://www.mushroomexpert.com/coprinopsis_atramentaria.html

--------------------
The Spore Works
Exotic Spore Supply

My Instagram
Reinvesting 25% of Sales Towards Basic Research and Species Identification :amanitajar:

OfflineWorkmanV
1999 Spore War Veteran
Male User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #20667184 - 10/06/14 03:50 PM (9 years, 5 months ago)

Old post of type #2 contamination, saved for reference.

Mini Mushrooms

--------------------
The Spore Works
Exotic Spore Supply

My Instagram

OfflineKizzle
Misanthrope
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #20668207 - 10/06/14 07:34 PM (9 years, 5 months ago)

Those look like Enoki

I suppose if it's the same as the one with microscope pics then's probably not. Have you tried posting these in identification forum?

--------------------

Edited by Kizzle (10/06/14 07:53 PM)

OfflineCryono
Stranger
Re: Guide to Common Contaminate Mushrooms [Re: Deemstar] * 2
    #21114968 - 01/13/15 02:50 PM (9 years, 2 months ago)

Hi, I've been a long-time reader of these forums but this is my first actual post.

The reason I'm writing is that I've come across something I've not read about anywhere else.  The issue is that I had sterilized bags of PF Tek I was using to grow from inoculation to harvest.  When the first harvest came, I cut a hole in the bag, pulled the flowers through, then taped it up again.  It all seemed to go really well.  The problem is that a couple days later I saw some black growth, and the flowers had stopped growing.  I had pretty much given up on it but it wasn't quite trash day yet so I just left it.  Here it is, trash day, and now the happy white mycelium has actually piled-up on top of the black (which has since stagnated), overtaking it, and new flowers are now growing big and healthy.

So, my question is this: What the hell?

Thanks for any insight you might have.

OfflineMykoMyers
RASTASCLEPIUS
Male

Loc: West Coast
Re: Guide to Common Contaminate Mushrooms [Re: Cryono] * 2
    #21119624 - 01/14/15 09:22 AM (9 years, 2 months ago)

By flowers I hope u mean mushrooms. If any of the mushrooms grew fully mature it's a possibility it was just dropped spores which then germinated

--------------------
Reishi for trade

Edited by MykoMyers (01/14/15 09:36 AM)

OfflineJames9870
Stranger
    #21177956 - 01/26/15 07:23 AM (9 years, 1 month ago)

Hi this is my first time growing and i have one substrate that seems to be doing well but there is one part that seams a lot thicker than it should and im not sure if it could be cobweb mold. Is there a way i can tell specifically

OfflineMykoMyers
RASTASCLEPIUS
Male

Loc: West Coast
Re: Guide to Common Contaminate Mushrooms [Re: James9870] * 3
    #21178153 - 01/26/15 08:50 AM (9 years, 1 month ago)

Cobweb mold is grayish and really stringy

--------------------
Reishi for trade

Offlinejoshkepler
Stranger
 User Gallery

Re: Guide to Common Contaminate Mushrooms [Re: MykoMyers] * 3
    #21247425 - 02/09/15 10:00 AM (9 years, 1 month ago)

This is my first time growing and im using the pf tek method with cakes. The strain is Cambodian and so far this is the only cake that has produced such large fruits. I noticed green colored spots. Is this green peniscillin mold? If so must I dispose of the whole cake or since I caught this relatively early (if it actually is the GPM), could I just pick that mushroom off and leave the cake amongst the others? PLEASE SOMEONE HELP MEEE. Like I said its my first time and so far no contaminations(other than this) in any of the cakes. So Im trying to get it out of there asap if necessary to prevent further contamination. Also could someone tell me what I may be doing wrong? I beleive it very well could be that there is too much moisture in the fruiting chamber. Is this a common result of high humidity? http://

OfflineXxMUST_BE_LUCKxX
Stranger

Re: Guide to Common Contaminate Mushrooms [Re: joshkepler] * 2
    #21311363 - 02/21/15 11:39 PM (9 years, 27 days ago)

Hello, i grew my first batch and picked  about 500 fresh grams from 2 cakes altogether. The last batch wasnt drying as it should so i placed in front of my fan.  Have a homemade cardboard box with rice and toilet paper to dry. I placed the box n front of the fan with the lid cracked and now the caps have turned slightly green at the edges and the stems are now bluish and rubbery and soft. Like when i picked them up to flip them over they bent n half like a rubber band. The other batches are golden caps with yellowish stems and cracker dry. thIs is my first time and im lost. Please help

OfflineAmoebicMagician
Stranger

Re: Guide to Common Contaminate Mushrooms [Re: XxMUST_BE_LUCKxX] * 2
    #21525499 - 04/09/15 06:33 PM (8 years, 11 months ago)

What did people do before they had forums like this to guide them?

InvisibleTheEaglesGift
The Nagual

Loc: Ixtlan, Mexico
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Guide to Common Contaminate Mushrooms [Re: AmoebicMagician] * 2
    #21527303 - 04/10/15 03:30 AM (8 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

AmoebicMagician said:
What did people do before they had forums like this to guide them?

Mycology is actually a pretty recent field, being only several decades old.

Before forums like this you had books, college, or if you were lucky enough, a mentor.

That said, they've been cultivating Shiitake in japan for 100's if not 1000's of  years, although the techniques employed were different than the ones we use. Impressive nonetheless.

InvisibleMad Season
hookers and blackjack
 User Gallery

Loc: Canada Flag
Trusted Cultivator
    #21766685 - 06/05/15 04:46 PM (8 years, 9 months ago)

I bumped because I quote posted this in the wrong thread. Good write up nonetheless.

--------------------
contam and car window art
How to shroomery like a pro! (Seriously, everyone read this!)
Improve your sterile techniques! (A comprehensive guide to agar)
Links upon links of literally EVERYTHING UP TO DATE

AMU Q&A
No trees were killed in the sending of this message. However, a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

Edited by Mad Season (09/14/16 11:41 PM)

Offlinekys
Stranger
    #22141254 - 08/25/15 03:06 PM (8 years, 6 months ago)

hello guys
i am not experienced cultivator
i have tried outdoor cultivation for first time and the first mushies i saw were " #4 Coprinoids (Inky Caps) "
so i am wondering if my cubes will pin or i have to throw them away?
the strain i used was b+ on cow manure and straw (no sterilized, no pasteurized)
what are my chances to have some cubes? and will be safe to eat them?

InvisibleTheEaglesGift
The Nagual

Loc: Ixtlan, Mexico
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Guide to Common Contaminate Mushrooms [Re: kys] * 2
    #22141259 - 08/25/15 03:07 PM (8 years, 6 months ago)

It's hard to know what your chances of success are, but if you do indeed get actual cubes they will be safe to eat.

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Myyco.com APE Liquid Culture For Sale   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds