Home | Community | Message Board

Gaiana.nl
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> The Psychedelic Experience >> Trip Reports

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Offlineeggystardust
Viva elDirector!

Meditation Help/Links
    #1730455 - 07/19/03 05:34 PM (14 years, 2 months ago)

Wasn't sure where to post this, sorry if it's in the wrong place!

Well, I've really wanted to get into meditation and started doing it yesterday, but I'd really like to get more information on positions and methods. My searches on the web came up with pretty blah results, does anybody here have some favorite meditation links they could share? I'm sure many others would like a good guide to begining meditation.

Also, do you prefer doing it in silence or with music? If with music, what are your favorite tracks? Thanks for all the help!

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Offlineshr00m
junglisT 2 thefUll3st

Re: Meditation Help/Links [Re: eggystardust]
    #1731046 - 07/19/03 10:50 PM (14 years, 2 months ago)

hey!

go check out www.erowid.com

they had great mediation links. im sure some meditators here could give you way more better links.

but thats a start :smile:

--------------------
the only constant is change~ life goes on. so theres no point in staying back because you can always catch up. try,hope, and understand!

InvisibleBoppity604
Stranger
Re: Meditation Help/Links [Re: shr00m]
    #1732644 - 07/20/03 05:25 PM (14 years, 2 months ago)

Well here are excerpts of responses I made a few months ago in other threads:

::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::
Regardless of tradition, there are two main types of meditation: stabilizing and analytical. Through stabilizing meditation we learn to calm the mind, to bring our attention inwards and to simply become an "audience" to our perceptions. Once you can achieve calm abiding, you learn to develop single-point states of mind (samadhi). It is in samadhi states of meditation that you develop insight via analytical meditation.

In the Tibetan Buddhist tradition there are many different schools of thought and practice but all five lineages teach beginners the basic lam rim chen mo series of meditations. These aim at developing both stabilization of the mind/samadhi states as well as developing insight via analytical meditation. I am still only in the lam rim cycle of meditations in my own practice, but eventually I'd like to take some initiations into Tantric practices.

Also, you don't need to practice yoga in order to benefit from practicing meditation. Unless you're practicing tantric or kundalini meditation, you don't need to be concerned with prana and how it's flowing through your body. Yoga can greatly improve your posture and breathing...but so can meditation. The seven-point posture is the most traditional posture used in meditation across the board of traditions. That doesn't mean meditation will ONLY work if you use that posture. Meditation is a practice; one with many ways of achieving the same end result. It's up to the practitioner to find the method/tradition that they are most comfortable with and commit to it.

Meditation is something you need to do every day if you want to see results. It took me two years to finally start seeing results in my samadhi states. I started off sitting for 10 minutes each night before bed and 30 minutes every Saturday and Sunday. Now I sit for 30 minutes each night before bed and up to two hours each day of the weekend.
::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::
>>I wish my mind would shut off sometimes.

It can through meditation. Thoughts are simply reactions/illusions that arise in the mind. Meditation helps you calm the mind and allow the true nature of mind to overcome the delusions of emotion and reaction. I've been meditating seriously for just over 3 years now (on and off since 1991) and I have to tell you...no matter which meditational tradition you chose to practice...they are all effective and meditation has changed my life in tremendously positive ways.

The clutter of non-stop thoughts can be calmed to the point of pure experience; a mind without delusion where ego and self-pity no longer cast false realities across our perceptions. The more you practice your meditations, the deeper and deeper into calm abiding you will go. It's a proven method and one accessible to everyone...you just need to make the effort and begin a sitting practice on your own and stick to it. It does take time to start seeing results (took me two years to start experiencing single-point states of mind and samadhi) but once you start seeing the results, you'll be amazed at the nature of mind and consciousness. If you think psychedelics are powerful, try opening up to the very nature of your mind; it'll blow any trip to pieces.
::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

My favorite authors that have impacted my practice are all from Tibetan Buddhism. My all-time favorite author and teacher is Lama Thubten Yeshe.

Here are two great publishing companies that publish authors from all various Buddhist traditions and offer excellent books.

Wisdom Publications

Snow Lion Publications

And for those particularly interested in a Tibetan Buddhist approach to meditation I highly recommend the following three books:

How to Meditate: A Practical Guide

Wisdom Energy

Introduction to Tantra: The Transformation of Desire

Love & Light,

Boppity

OfflineSteevil
is cool

Loc: UK
Re: Meditation Help/Links [Re: Boppity604]
    #1733086 - 07/20/03 08:50 PM (14 years, 2 months ago)

Do you need to subscribe to Buddhist beliefs to appreciate those books? Although I agree with much of what I've read on the subject (and that isn't a great amount, addmittedly), I just wasn't able to sit down and praise Boddhisatvas (sp?) daily; something which seemed a main part of an introduction to meditation I read in the past.

If so, do you/does anyone know of any good secular meditation books?

--------------------
All the days of his vow of separation no razor shall pass over his head. He shall be holy ... he shall let the locks of hair on his head grow long.

Offlineeggystardust
Viva elDirector!

Re: Meditation Help/Links [Re: Steevil]
    #1733132 - 07/20/03 09:22 PM (14 years, 2 months ago)

Excellent, I'll see if I can check out some of those books at the libray and probably buy a couple later on.

InvisibleBoppity604
Stranger
Re: Meditation Help/Links [Re: eggystardust]
    #1733429 - 07/20/03 11:53 PM (14 years, 2 months ago)

>>I just wasn't able to sit down and praise Boddhisatvas (sp?) daily; something which seemed a main part of an introduction to meditation I read in the past.

That's up to you honestly. To perform prostrations and honor lineage leaders is an act of respect and gratitude. Boddhisattvas are/were living people. In Tibetan Buddhism, deities you see in the meditations aren't spirits or deities that exist externally. They are all representations of the various aspects of enlightenment that we all have in our own mind.

As far as learning and benefitting from basic meditations...no, you don't need to believe anything or pray to anyone. But if you have issue with paying respect to any lineage's founders/teachers/etc...you better look hard into the mirror and ask yourself why. That should be your first meditation.

There is no surrendering of your "will" or belief system in Buddhism. The Buddha wanted his followers to be pragmatic, questioning and thinking for themselves. Meditation is simply a tool...a very powerful tool. How you use it is entirely up to you.

Love & Light,

Boppity

OfflineSteevil
is cool

Loc: UK
Re: Meditation Help/Links [Re: Boppity604]
    #1734421 - 07/21/03 10:52 AM (14 years, 2 months ago)

Perhaps the Boddhisattvas were a bad example - it was simply the only word I could remeber from when I read the book. Now I've found the book "The Meditation Handbook", by Geshe Kelsang Gyatso, I've found the part I had a problem with. There is a section early on about knowledge required for meditation; it seems to require a literal belief that I will be reborn as a hungry ghost if I am miserly during my life.

I don't have a problem with this in a figurative or metaphorical sense, and if this book means it that way then I'm afraid it was lost on me. Although now that I flick through the book again, there seems to be a lot less that bothers me.

It may have been another book by the same author, Intorduction to Buddhism, that I had found a little frustrating. From what I remember there seemed to be a lot more about gods, demigods and hungry ghosts than I had previously thought there would be. Still, it's all just my ignorance of the subject, really.

Looking back though, I suppose I do have a problem with paying respect to a teacher before I know if the teachings are of any value (I'm sorry if that sounds insulting to Buddhism). Otherwise I'd join any cult that offered salvation. The answer, I think, is to learn a lot more about it before I attempt meditation again.

I'm just talking to myself now.. Why am I posting it all.. :grin: 

--------------------
All the days of his vow of separation no razor shall pass over his head. He shall be holy ... he shall let the locks of hair on his head grow long.

OfflineTheHobbit
Pot Head Pixie

Loc: the Oily Way...
    #1734484 - 07/21/03 11:36 AM (14 years, 2 months ago)

Thanks for ther info Boppity604, I've been interested in exploring meditation for some time now, I think I'll check out some of that literature.

InvisibleBoppity604
Stranger
    #1735003 - 07/21/03 03:21 PM (14 years, 2 months ago)

Hi Steevil,

>>From what I remember there seemed to be a lot more about gods, demigods and hungry ghosts than I had previously thought there would be.

Ya...depending on what area of Asia you go...the indigenous cultures influence the way the Dharma is taught.  Even the different realms of consciousness are "flavored" differently depending on the tradition.  The Buddha himself was influenced by Vedic and Hindu Tantric belief systems already well established during his lifetime.  Whether or not you believe in such things...the beauty of the Dharma is that it's simply a method; a technique.  One which can be applied to any culture or belief system.  The Dharma deals with our mind and perceptions.  You don't need to believe in God or Gods to practice meditation.  Meditation is about your own consciousness and realizing the ultimate reality of all phenomena.

Like I said before, there are many different meditational traditions and practices.  I simply find Tibetan Buddhist teachings to sit really well with my own reality and comprehension.  All paths are equally powerful and respectable...the point is finding a method that works well with you and your beliefs.

The Kathleen MacDonald book I recommended earlier in this thread does an excellent job of discussing non-devotional meditations versus devotional...I think you'll enjoy it very much.

Good luck in your practice!

Love & Light,

Boppity

PS - The Hobbit, you're quite welcome.  :smile: 

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> The Psychedelic Experience >> Trip Reports