Home | Community | Message Board

Cannabis Seeds UK
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   North Spore Bulk Substrate

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineMitchnast
Toadmonger
Male User Gallery

Loc: Okanagan
Pan subb season strong all summer long (pics)
    #1728635 - 07/18/03 07:20 PM (20 years, 8 months ago)

dont give up, as long as there's rain theres shrooms. these beauties are nova scotian, on stable shaving compost

got a few more a few days ago too. been a nice wet week, another day of rain and id say there will be a bonanza, alot of pins still comming up...

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlinecube421
420guy
Loc: TX
Re: Pan subb season strong all summer long (pics) [Re: Mitchnast]
    #1728747 - 07/18/03 08:17 PM (20 years, 8 months ago)

Awesome finds Mitch!! Got some real bigguns in there...  (Can't believe I'm the 1st poster on such a excellent thread of such)

How many dried grams did that all come to be?

What temps are these massive fruits  :mushroom2: thriving at? like mid 80s to 90 or not even ? 

Edited by cube421 (07/18/03 08:21 PM)

OfflineMitchnast
Toadmonger
Male User Gallery

Loc: Okanagan
Re: Pan subb season strong all summer long (pics) [Re: cube421]
    #1728761 - 07/18/03 08:21 PM (20 years, 8 months ago)

well, they arent dry so i dont know the dry weight, i don't really bother weighing wild mushies anyway, the temps been about 30c most days, 25 at night, 35 in the heat of the day, really hot. i dont beleive these are cold-weather species, more like, wet-weather species.

Invisibleem_bre_O
shroomery'sEmbryoticAsshole
 User Gallery

Loc: In the stages of develope...
    #1728775 - 07/18/03 08:27 PM (20 years, 8 months ago)

Big daddy Mitch coming through

Offlinecanid
irregular meat sprocket
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: looking for zeebras, n. c...
Trusted Identifier
Re: Pan subb season strong all summer long (pics) [Re: em_bre_O]
    #1728870 - 07/18/03 09:14 PM (20 years, 8 months ago)

nice size...

glad to hear they are still poppin', it's not rained in my area for some while.

--------------------

Attn PWN hunters: If you should come across a bluing Psilocybe matching P. pellicolusa please smell it.
If you detect a scent reminiscent of Anethole (anise) please preserve a specimen or two for study and please PM me.

Offlineshowcivic17
good fella
Loc: northeastern USA
Re: Pan subb season strong all summer long (pics) [Re: canid]
    #1729353 - 07/19/03 01:39 AM (20 years, 8 months ago)

is it hard to find subbs just in compost or old hay?? or does there have to be manure?

Offlinecircle
Re: Pan subb season strong all summer long (pics) [Re: showcivic17]
    #1729407 - 07/19/03 02:18 AM (20 years, 8 months ago)

is there any easy way to identify these mushrooms apart from foencsii.

Invisiblemjshroomer
Sage
Loc: gone with my shrooms
Re: Pan subb season strong all summer long (pics) [Re: circle]
    #1729763 - 07/19/03 07:22 AM (20 years, 8 months ago)

Yes Circle,

Panaeolina foenisecii grows on lawns and has chocolate to purble brown spores and sporepritn while Panaeolus subbalteatus main habitat is rotted hay and or hay compost and they have black sporeprints and sometimes can be found in Cow manure, rare in plain horse manure unless the manure is mixed with rotted hay or composting hay at found at riding stables and racetracks. .

Panaeolina foenisecii does not appear in pastures. Only lawns

mj

And again, there ahave been only about five or six people, me included, here at the shrooms who actually have found large collections and/or find Panaeolus subbalteatus.

Lizard King, Mitchnast, and last year Joshua found a beautiful lawn of hundreds and hundreds of speciemens, yet Joshua's lawn has not since reproduced. They came, fruited and left when the lawn service stopped using the fertilizers. At least that is why they usually disappear form a lawn after a year or so. And they did not return this year to fruit. And Angry Shroom found and photographed one of th most beautiful compost heaps of Panaeolus subbalteatus mushrooms ever posted on the web. HE found those in Northewrn California. His pictures of this beautiful scor show shrooms growing in situ and can be seen in my site at http://www.mushroomjohn.com/species16c.htm

and the pages before that page show some of my photos of this species..

While this is a common mushroom worldwide, hundreds of shroomerites look for it every year and are told to look for it by moderators here at the shroomery but they do not find them. Usually they find P. foenisecii on lawns and think they have collected Panaeolus subbalteatus.

So it is a common mushroom but apparently not so common for shroomers here at this site to find, but it is also seasonal in certain parts of the USA and Canada and as I stated above, Only a few have actually reported their finds of this shroom, but then again they usually never find ecnough for more than a few doses, outside of those large collections found by Angry Shroom, Mitchnast, Joshua and LK, and or me who really does not hunt them anymore unless I come across them while looking for other shrooms.

mj

Now think what all of you may but those are the facts.

Edited by mjshroomer (07/19/03 07:30 AM)

OfflineLizard King
King Lizard

Loc: GA
    #1729903 - 07/19/03 10:38 AM (20 years, 8 months ago)

Nice subbs, mitch!!! You consistently find the nicest, biggest, most robust specimens of this species. Those subbs look like they pack a bit more punch than the local variety I get here in the southeast US.

Holy crapola!!!! I must have been absent when angryshroom posted those images last year. That truely is the best Panaeolus subbalteatus find I have ever laid eyes on, just an awe inspiring site for the eyes!!! Very nice!

A few years ago a horse pasture close to my home produced thousands of Pan. subbs, and every year since they have dwindled in numbers and abundance. I seem to find more in rotted grass clippings these days every now and again while searching for Ps. weilii.

LK,

--------------------

Invisiblemjshroomer
Sage
Re: Pan subb season strong all summer long (pics) [Re: Lizard King]
    #1729934 - 07/19/03 10:59 AM (20 years, 8 months ago)

AS I notee LK, many people do not understand the fruiting seassons of shrooms or thre fact that certain areas lose their shrooms after the nutrients in the soils are used up or not refurbished.

This is espewcially true int he PNW in the sods they disappear becasue the fields are being contrstructed on by buildings so the fertilizers disappear. In the woodchips of alder becasue of the governments control of no more clear cuts, or limited clearcuts inthe PNW becasue of the stupid spotted Owl and also the fact that the landscpars use what much is available. curtrwntly the popular mulch is cedar .

Since the clearcuts go, the shrooms go.

Anyway, I have not herd form Angry shroom as to any later fruitings.

The Joshua Lawn in Eugene was quite prolific when it appeared . IT never refruited.

ANd Ias I wrote in close Encounters of the Panaeolus Kind, I noted the large field on Kula highway in Muai9 which is now all Hawaiian Land Tract Homes and no more shrooms there. It was a field of panaeous subbalteatus growing from cow manuer and the manure of wild Peacocks. The funny thing about this field of panaeolus subbalteatus is that they staind silvery blue onthe stems, not noticible in most members of the species. as in the hay varitieties I find them bluing inthe mycelia where i ripp the shrooms fromthe hay.

And then in thirty yerars I have only found about fi ve cow pies with only a few specimens of Pn. subbs, as written in my paprer noted above.

I did not write the above post to discourage people but they are common, and yet rare at the same time. Especially if you do not have riding stables or racetracks around your homes. Otherwise it is really doubtful that very meny people will find them. And then when they do, as you mention, there are not many worth thewild in collecting them.

have a shroomy day,

mj

InvisibleJoshua
Holoman
Male

Loc: The Matrix
Re: Pan subb season strong all summer long (pics) [Re: mjshroomer]
    #1730847 - 07/19/03 07:28 PM (20 years, 8 months ago)

The subb patch I found last year fruited in the fall. Fall has not arrived yet. I will see if it fruits again this fall.

I just posted some pictures of subbs fruiting from a cultivated cube patch. The pic can be found in my "Shroom Gardening" thread in the pic forum.

Joshua

--------------------
The Shroomery Bookstore

Great books for inquiring minds!

"Life After Death is Saprophytic!"

Edited by Joshua (07/19/03 07:29 PM)

Invisiblemjshroomer
Sage
Re: Pan subb season strong all summer long (pics) [Re: Joshua]
    #1730994 - 07/19/03 08:29 PM (20 years, 8 months ago)

Joshua, it also should have fruitied in the spring.In Oregon February through May is the spring season for the Pmn, subbs from the Willamette Valley in C0orvalis to the Mckenzie River area of Eugene/Springfield along the I-5 corridor.

mj,

But then again your s was a lawn and it still should have fruited in the spring, unless you jst never went to lokk in the spring.

Still awaiting on Ammirati's checking of your shroom.

I will email him again about the mushroom,

mju and have a nice summer.

InvisibleReverend_Jim_Jones
Stranger
    #1731281 - 07/19/03 10:41 PM (20 years, 8 months ago)

I remember during My early shrooming forays in Brandenburg, germany walking past a 5m x 20m compost heap of dung and straw covered with what must have been thousands of large subbs - I was fixed on finding liberty caps at the time and didn't even recognise the subbs as an active. After months of walking past the subb pile I finally found a few libertys but I'd have been better off with pounds of subbs! i always kick myself over that one...

OfflineStInvetroThomas
Damn straight I'm a hunter.
Male User Gallery
Loc: Estonia Flag
    #1739821 - 07/22/03 09:38 PM (20 years, 8 months ago)

Let us not forget my significant finds last year of the pann subb...growing in newly sodded lawns. Pics are here http://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=Forum3&Number=853263&Forum=Forum3&Words=stinvetrothomas&Match=Entire%20Phrase&Searchpage=0&Limit=25&Old=allposts&Main=853263&Search=true#Post853263

But as you suggest they did not refruit this year, because too many people cut their lawns so damn short.

I have not been out hunting much at all this year, but I did find a few the other day...again on a newly sodded lawn. We have had much rain for July this year...hope to get out soon, will post pics.

Cheers....oh and very nice find Mitchnast...can't wait for Gym season though....

--------------------
"...I found dozens of single specimens.  That's what I call hunting.  There are only a few "good" hunters here, even now.  You're certainly in that group.  I would imagine if we hunted together we'd find our styles are similar."
- Mr. Mushrooms

RIP Matt, your friendship and your contributions to the world of fungi will be missed. Unfortunately we never got to hunt together.

St Thomas

Anonymous

Re: Pan subb season strong all summer long (pics) [Re: StInvetroThomas]
    #1739835 - 07/22/03 09:41 PM (20 years, 8 months ago)

- Post History Deleted Upon User's Request -

OfflineStInvetroThomas
Damn straight I'm a hunter.
Male User Gallery
Loc: Estonia Flag
Re: Pan subb season strong all summer long (pics) [Re: ]
    #1740475 - 07/23/03 05:13 AM (20 years, 8 months ago)

Cheers Mr. Mushrooms...yes it has been a while. We will most certainly go hunting for the Gym together.....mmm gyms.

--------------------
"...I found dozens of single specimens.  That's what I call hunting.  There are only a few "good" hunters here, even now.  You're certainly in that group.  I would imagine if we hunted together we'd find our styles are similar."
- Mr. Mushrooms

RIP Matt, your friendship and your contributions to the world of fungi will be missed. Unfortunately we never got to hunt together.

St Thomas

Offlinedoo
addict -crazy as a shithouse rat
 User Gallery

Loc: Slingshit, China
Re: Pan subb season strong all summer long (pics) [Re: StInvetroThomas]
    #1740863 - 07/23/03 10:52 AM (20 years, 8 months ago)

Mitch, you're such a subbslut.  :grin: Nice find. Those are some fat shrooms.You must live in a shroomy blessed area, cause you're always finding magic. Of course you're hunting expertise has a lot to do with your finds. 

StThomas, still waiting for you to find some more of those bluing psilocybes that you found a while back , so you can post us some pics.
Did you ever get a correct ID on those?

doo 

--------------------
- Arguing with a woman, is like trying to blow out a light bulb-

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   North Spore Bulk Substrate