Home | Community | Message Board

Please support our sponsors.

General Interest >> Philosophy, Sociology & Psychology

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Male User Gallery

Loc: Overjoyed, at the bottom ...
Methuselah's age? Why were some in the Bible so old?
    #1729330 - 07/19/03 03:29 AM (13 years, 3 months ago)

I was hoping someone could explain to me how that came to be? Maybe Markos, you could shed some light on this. Were these meant to be taken as literal translations?

I keep it real because I think it is important that a highly esteemed individual such as myself keep it real lest they experience the dreaded spontaneous non-existance of no longer keeping it real. - Hagbard Celine

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Re: Methuselah's age? Why were some in the Bible so old? [Re: HagbardCeline]
    #1729963 - 07/19/03 01:34 PM (13 years, 3 months ago)

lunar calendar.

i didnt mean that...

Male User Gallery

Loc: South Florida Flag
    #1730108 - 07/19/03 03:05 PM (13 years, 3 months ago)

Methuselah lived to 900. Other patriarchs to 120 (which I fantasize about living to, only because it puts thoughts of death far enough into my future so that I won't care about dying). I have pondered the time scheme and know that other civilizations, like the paleolithic people who built Stonehenge, had a real grasp of sidereal time.  The absence of mechanical timepieces should not prejudice us to thinking that ancient people didn't know how to measure time.

The Hebrews had a lunar calendar, not a Gregorian or Julian calendar, but on psychedelics, I have sometimes wondered about how our subjective experience of time, and objective time might interact. What we believe to be real effects us constantly. If we believe a rope is a snake, we can have a heart attack. If we believe that by 50 years of age we have to 'look 50,' grey/bald, paunchy stomach, memory loss, etc., it has long occured to me that 'mind creates,' and that 'the inner projects the outer,' so that we develop along such lines.

What I'm saying is that this subjective-effecting-objective reality may be a consequence of the fact that there is NO SUCH THING AS PURE OBJECTIVITY. There is no longer a 19th century Archimedian, unmoved mover perspective, anymore than there is no such thing as absolute time (as Einstein pointed out). So, were the ancients moving at near-light speed? No. OK, this is not physics I'm talking about, it is metaphysics, but perhaps as one approaches the Infinite - either by nearing the speed of light and attaining 'infinite mass,' (oneness with all of space-time), OR, if one encounters the Infinite by 'interfacing' with the Infinite as God - perhaps it is analogous in some way with the near-light-speed traveler. Perhaps the aging process, relative to others who are not 'interfacing' with God (remember, these are all Holy men and women - Abraham's wife Sarah giving birth at 80 for example).

My Lady got ID checked for buying wine the other day. She is gonna be 48. I got carded too last year at 49 to get into Ft. Lauderdale's 'Voodoo Lounge.' Are we Holy people?  Well, compared to some yes, and to others no - but we do spend time in 'timeless' states (paradoxically), and this exposure has effected how we identify ourselves, and what our expectations are. I have read that isolated tribes in Central America whose culture is mushroomic, frequently live to 120-130 years of age. Immune-systems may be enhanced, but more importantly with regard to the Hebrew writings, is exposure to timelessness, to Eternity, to the Infinite.

On the other hand, perhaps the writings are symbolic, as are many other numerological associations in the Bible. I hesitate to say that the writings are just plain wrong, or meaningless, because the Scriptures have been sufficiently demonstarted to me as having multiple levels of meaning, and my ignorance is no reason to be dismissive of anything there. I take very little in the Bible literally. Jericho's wall did fall, but apparently long befoe the Hebrews circulambulated them and blew shofars. Judas Iscariot's last name probably came from the Sicarri, who were knife-wielding Jewish assassins (assassin comes from hashashans, who were Arab killers stokes up on hashish, incidentally). So, at this point, I can only speculate. But it IS fun to speculate, so thanks for the invitation ! :smile: 

γνῶθι σαὐτόν - Gnothi Seauton - Know Thyself

Loc: there
Re: Methuselah's age? Why were some in the Bible so old? [Re: MarkostheGnostic]
    #1730114 - 07/19/03 03:12 PM (13 years, 3 months ago)

did Methuselah live before the flood?

Genesis mentions a water layer in the atmosphere...
I read somewhere about how that can explain the longer lifespans in Biblical times but I don't know if I buy that.

Loc: It's all in your head...
Re: Methuselah's age? Why were some in the Bible so old? [Re: infidelGOD]
    #1730123 - 07/19/03 03:17 PM (13 years, 3 months ago)

Some people believe (or have adopted a story to fit) that when Adam & Eve sinned they forfeited their perfect bodies and became mortal. Each successive generation became more and more imperfect as they became more and more sin full.

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: On the Brink of Madness
    #1730474 - 07/19/03 05:42 PM (13 years, 3 months ago)

Were these meant to be taken as literal translations?

Remember that 40 pound bass you caught when you were six?
Well, I dug up an old picture of the event and that bass couldn't have been more than 5 pounds. Got me?

Note: In desperate need of a cure...

Jump to top. Pages: 1

General Interest >> Philosophy, Sociology & Psychology