Home | Community | Message Board

Kratom Eye
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinefelix
 User Gallery

UVB Lighting and Radiation
    #1550188 - 05/15/03 03:16 AM (20 years, 11 months ago)

I don't have a mushroom cultivation book and was wondering if any of them mention anything about UVB radiation. UVB is natural and radiates from the sun. It is what gives us a tan and also helps reptiles convert D vitamins, which is why you sometimes see lizards, iguanas or aligators basking in the sun.

you can get these reptile lights at just about any good petstore. "reptisun 5.0" has been noted to put out the most UVB of any other current brand and is a very affordable light. i am wondering how the light affect the mushrooms seeing as they are exposed to it (probably indirectly) in nature. has anyone experimented?

--------------------
Real botanists laugh at HPS systems, we do however use high pressure sodium in the parking lot. - artthug

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Invisiblemicro
bunbun has a gungun
Male User Gallery

Loc: Brick City
Re: UVB Lighting and Radiation [Re: felix]
    #1550352 - 05/15/03 07:13 AM (20 years, 11 months ago)

Felix the cat,
The wonerful, wonderful cat,
Whenever he gets in a fix he reaches into his bag of tricks....

--
Micro

Oh -- Sorry, couldn't help it. No never tried it. Cubies don't need that much light though, and since that's all I grow I haven't experimented with it. I would like to, though.... once I can afford other things.

--------------------
Any research paper or book for free
(Avatar is Maxxy, a character by Mizzyam, RIP)

Edited by micro (05/15/03 07:17 AM)

Offlinefelix
 User Gallery

Re: UVB Lighting and Radiation [Re: micro]
    #1552064 - 05/15/03 05:39 PM (20 years, 11 months ago)

yes, cubies don't need much light at all. i agree. UVB is barely light though. it's more of a radiation. i'm just wondering how this radiation can affect them. what we're trying to do is create a most natural environment and adding a touch of uv rays only authenticates the essential features of a natural environment. whether the ultraviolet rays are beneficial or not, this is what experementation is...to cure curiosity.

--------------------
Real botanists laugh at HPS systems, we do however use high pressure sodium in the parking lot. - artthug

InvisibleATWAR
Connoisseur

Loc: #108768 in line...
    #1552909 - 05/15/03 11:22 PM (20 years, 11 months ago)

Actually, I have something to add to this that might be pertinant.

When I first grew, I had a regular 40 - 60 incandescant bulb, regular white one. A clear plastic lid was used and the bulb was a ways away. I had no pins for about a month. I switched to a reptile light that supssedly was higher in the UV and UVB spectrum. I had pins in a week.

Perhaps that will inspire you to experiment or research further?

--------------------
To give is to live...

Offlinefelix
 User Gallery

Re: UVB Lighting and Radiation [Re: ATWAR]
    #1722778 - 07/16/03 07:25 PM (20 years, 9 months ago)

yes! that's what i was thinking. here's a bump for any more thoughts...

--------------------

Offlinekhufu
Stranger
Male

#1723824 - 07/17/03 01:26 AM (20 years, 9 months ago)

Whoa - speaking of early pinning & UVB: I initiated fruiting this past Friday - today is wednesday and when I got home a couple hours ago I noticed not pins, but baby shrooms. Usually it goes: mycelium -> hyphal knots -> pins -> shrooms. This time it seems to have gone mycelium -> shrooms. I've been checking my casing every day and never even saw any pins, now I got baby shroomies 1/4" long!!! (and I last checked 10 hours ago before I left for work - there was nothing. No complaints here. And I am using a 7.0 UVB reptile flourescent bulb - because it was the only one around. Maybe that has something to do with my 5-day baby shrooms? Worth further study IMHO.

Edited by khufu (07/17/03 01:27 AM)

Offlinefelix
 User Gallery

Re: UVB Lighting and Radiation [Re: khufu]
    #1723985 - 07/17/03 03:47 AM (20 years, 9 months ago)

wait a second...that's insane.  i Really ned to buy one of these cultivation books.

the thing is, these lights are cheap!  and you can get them at just about any good petstore.  some people add these as supplemental lighting to their growing cannabis because Uv-B has been noted to increase the resin and trichome production...but that's a different story! :laugh:

some people have a hard time with pinning.  maybe one of these lights could help...?

ZooMed Reptisun 5.0 UVB Fluorescent Bulbs
Reptisun 5.0 bulbs offer the UVB and UVA rays that are necessary for the good health of your reptile. UVB rays strengthen and improve shell growth on all captive turtles and tortoises, as well as allowing all reptiles the ability to regulate their own Vitamin D3 levels, which eliminates the risk of vitamin D3 overdose from synthetic sources. UVA wavelength increases appetite and physical activity, while helping to induce reproductive behaviors. UVA rays are also beneficial to the psychological well-being of captive reptiles. The UVA/UVB wavelengths of these bulbs remain active for one year. Replace bulbs yearly.

ReptiSun 5.0 UVB Fluorescent, 15"    $22.99
what's weird is a 48 inch tube is the same price as a 15 inch tube.  i think these lights are worth experimenting with and if you ever intend to test you skill at growing indoor plants (cannabis :wink:), this light would only help. 

--------------------

OfflinePsilocybin_monkey
Shroomer

Loc: Dragon's Den
    #1724027 - 07/17/03 04:23 AM (20 years, 9 months ago)

This section is a short section, because there is not much to it.As long as there is a window in the room, there will be sufficient light for your mushrooms to grow. In fact all your mushrooms really need is a few minutes of light a day to grow. All they need the light for is to know which way is up so they know which way to grow, but the amount of light given will not affect wether you get mushrooms or not.The heigth of your mushrooms will also not be determined by the amount of light provided. Sometimes mushrooms will grow longer if they have less light.One way to use light to your advantage though, is by using blue light as your number 1 source of light.

Blue light has proven to be the best spectrum for mushrooms, than any other spectrum on Earth. Shown to stimulate upward growth, speed of growth, and overall health.
What is mostly recommended for use is blue LED lights, but LED lights are really hard to find, and they are really really tiny, so you would need A LOT of them to even make a difference in your chamber. So forget LED lights.

You can integrate the use of blue light by choosing a blue container as your growth chamber. The kind that isn't transparent, but will still let light through. This way, any and all light that enters the growth chamber will turn blue.
:smile:
You can accent this blue light by placing a fluorescent lightbulb on top of the lid for a few hours a day.

--------------------
Welcome to my world!

Offlinefelix
 User Gallery

Re: UVB Lighting and Radiation [Re: Psilocybin_monkey]
    #1724042 - 07/17/03 04:38 AM (20 years, 9 months ago)

actually, they make incandescants with a bluish film for that reason. i don't want to experiment with light though. that's not what this thread is about.

i would like to experiment with radiation. Uv-B to be axact. glass and plastic block most ultraviolet rays. the indirect sunlight coming through your window is filtered...

--------------------

OfflinePsilocybin_monkey
Shroomer

Loc: Dragon's Den
    #1724053 - 07/17/03 04:48 AM (20 years, 9 months ago)

cool.. well good luck with your experiment with radiation

--------------------
Welcome to my world!

OfflineSeussA
Error: divide byzero

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Caribbean
Re: UVB Lighting and Radiation [Re: Psilocybin_monkey]
    #1724189 - 07/17/03 07:07 AM (20 years, 9 months ago)

PF claimed to have used UVB lights to initiate pinning and ended up mutating his strain beyond use. His site is no longer up, that I know of, so I cannot point you to the original source. There has been some debate regarding his claims. Some think it could have been the age of the strain, or some other factor, rather than the UVB.

--------------------
Just another spore in the wind.

Offlinecrazycanadian
Stranger

Loc: infront of a monitor
Re: UVB Lighting and Radiation [Re: Seuss]
    #1724263 - 07/17/03 08:31 AM (20 years, 9 months ago)

we kind of had this same topic posted by me a little while back. people told me that it was better to use a normal white fluorescent light. i personally think UV light would be better. 1) because it is more natural. 2) because UV light kills bacteria better than non UV light would. I say go ahead and do a controlled experiment. same conditions and everything for 2 terraniums. One use a UV light and the other use a white fluorescent light. UV-B is ok for humans but UVA is not good. that is what can give you skin cancer. glass and some plastic block UV light, this is true, so you would have to not have anything blocking the way. maybe put the light in the tank.

good luck

OfflineAnnoA
Experimenter
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: my room
Re: UVB Lighting and Radiation [Re: crazycanadian]
    #1724291 - 07/17/03 08:49 AM (20 years, 9 months ago)

>I say go ahead and do a controlled experiment

http://www.shroomery.org/index/par/23844

Offlinecrazycanadian
Stranger

Re: UVB Lighting and Radiation [Re: Anno]
    #1724314 - 07/17/03 09:02 AM (20 years, 9 months ago)

i read that already before but how do you explain how khufu's growth. what kind of UV light was that experiment done with. did it include both bands of UV light? What was the radiance of it also. I dont think enought information is being taken into account with both of the UV light sources.

Offlinekhufu
Stranger
Male

#1724445 - 07/17/03 10:15 AM (20 years, 9 months ago)

Very interesting topic. About Plastic blocking UV - my lamp does pass through plastic, but it's only a rectangle strip of saran wrap that I duct taped to the top of my terrarium. As for PF's findings and the slow degredation of the strains over some generations, that may be true but I thought PF used UV the entire time. Perhaps UVB is best used to initiate pinning (since that is the most natural way to tell mycelium "hey, you hit the surface - see that sun? good, now make me some damn mushrooms"). However, maybe it would be best to switch to a normal light once pinning has been acheived. Perhaps a partial implementaiton of UVB would be best: UVB for pinning, Blue/non-UV light for fruiting. Thoughts?

Also, it would be nice, but I don't think UVB kills any bacteria, that would be UVC (which is often used in inline water sterilizers). Trust me, you dont want any UVC anywhere near your shrooms/myc.

Quote:

some people add these as supplemental lighting to their growing cannabis because Uv-B has been noted to increase the resin and trichome production...but that's a different story! :smile:

Oh, and what a wonderfull story it is! :smile:

Offlinecrazycanadian
Stranger

#1724491 - 07/17/03 10:32 AM (20 years, 9 months ago)

yeah..UVC is it. my mistake.
I think maybe you are right. maybe UVB light is good for pinning but then normal light is best to use after that. I should try it out. it makes sence to me. i think that PF was with it the whole time.

Offlinefelix
 User Gallery

#1725869 - 07/17/03 07:18 PM (20 years, 8 months ago)

that lighting experiment (http://www.shroomery.org/index/par/23844) was with the ultraviolet spectrum between 100-280 nanometers.  that particular wavelength is the Uv-C radiation.  also, i'm unsure if the light was even strong enough to affect growth.

290-320 nanometers is the Uv-B and 320-400 nanometers is the Uv-A spectrum.  i need to buy one of these lights.. :smirk:.  i'm so curious now, even if it has no effect, i could use this light for other things.

--------------------

Edited by felix (07/17/03 07:20 PM)

Offlinekhufu
Stranger
Male

#1726827 - 07/18/03 01:20 AM (20 years, 8 months ago)

I checked the link you provided but I don't see where it says which UV spectrum was used. However, IF you they did, in fact, use the UVC spectrum then I must say that experiment was horribly flawd to begin with. On UVC light - http://www.steril-aire-usa.com/aboutuvc.htm#MOST :
Quote:

In the simplest of terms, a microorganism's DNA is the target of the 253.7 nm wavelength. It destroys DNA causing cell death or making replication (cell division) impossible. Beyond this, UVC can degrade simple organic material at the molecular level.

So yes, if they used UVC to fruit shrooms then a genetic breakdown over a few generations would be the natural result.

But can someone verify which spectrum was used?

Offlinefelix
 User Gallery

#1727024 - 07/18/03 03:59 AM (20 years, 8 months ago)

oh, i Pmed the person and asked them.  she said she used the 100-280 nanometer wavelength.  but the thing is, i don't think the Uv-C was strong enough to affect the mycelium.  i'm not too sure....
(anno provided the link :tongue:)

--------------------

Offlinecrazycanadian
Stranger

#1727478 - 07/18/03 11:42 AM (20 years, 8 months ago)

UVC gives you a sun tan. i dont think it is good for shrooms.
i would imagin UVA would be the best since it is closest to blue. UVB might be good too though. ill try and get a UVB/UVA light and a regular fluorscent light. try and do a contoled experiment

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order