Home | Community | Message Board

MRCA Tyroler Gluckspilze
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Original Sensible Seeds Feminized Cannabis Seeds   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
OfflineGernBlanston
unintended sideeffect
Male

Loc: OR
The nature of the mother...
    #1723639 - 07/17/03 12:09 AM (20 years, 8 months ago)

So I was reading some of the recent posts about Salvia and the oft-reported presence of a female spirit, and I got's to thinking...

Can there be some sort of actual analogue to Mother Nature?  I am a long time tripper, but have just recently been exposed to Salvia, and never anything past level 2 (or A, by the S.A.L.V.I.A. scale), so I will leave my thoughts on the salvia spirit out of it.  But the thought has crossed all of my minds more than once.

I believe the Gaia Theory has merit.  Of course, there's a lot of silly crap on the surface, but once you get past the words and get into the meaning, I think it works.  I has been proven time and time again that ants, bees, termites, and other colonial insects exhibit what is commonly referred to as a "hive mind".  Numerous individual units, with no discernable intelligence or communication (other than hormone and pheromone secretion - completely parasympathetic systems), show behaviour consistent with being a single entity.  Only the mechanism is in question - the behaviour of the colonies is observed and well documented.

Computer artificial intelligence...  Well, the brain (we'll talk about the human brain here), in some fashion, holds the thing that makes us us.  We don't know what consciousness is, why we are, what we are, or how it relates to our brain - but we do know that our brain makes up everything that we are.  All of the memories, cognitive and sub-cognitive thought processes, perceptions (and subsequent filtration of those perceptions into individualized reality) - all of these things are a direct function of the brain.  The simple fact that there are billions of neural connections in the human brain may be the base for us being what we are.  It has been theorized that true artificial intelligence is (will be) simply a direct function of the number of (pseudo-neural?) connections that a computer / machine has (will have) available to it's CPU.

Where does this relate to Gaia, you ask?

Think about the numbers of individuals in these systems.  Colinial insects have, what... 2000?  5000?  10000? units in one colony.  Rudimentary AI consists of machines with a few million, perhaps a few tens of millions of "synapses".  The human brain - a few billion.

How many individual organisms make up the closed system that is Earth?  Hundred of billions?  Hundreds of trillions?  Is it, then, a difficult leap to believe that our planet may have developed / evolved / created an entity or spirit or guide or hive mind unit or whatever the hell you want to call it, as a result of this sheer volume of individual units in it's system?  I don't think it is.  We are part of it, and I know that many of you have felt it before.

When you sit in the woods, tripping or not; when you spend 4 days hiking in the mountains and never see a car, cell phone, or game boy; when you climb, when you kayak, when you sit in your freaking back yard underneath an 80 year old Maple, drinking a beer in the sun or listening to the new Sasha and Digweed disc or just feeling the grass on your bare feet... you feel it.  There is a closeness - dare I say a feeling of belonging - to something else, something bigger.

THIS is what I think mother nature is.  I think that It / She is a real consciousness, if not an actual physical entity.  We are part of her, and when we forget that, and get too far away from her roots and spend too long out of her arms (forgive me for being poetic - I'm on a roll), then we pay the psychic price for having become lost to a part of ourselves.  And that makes for a lot of angry, sick, frustrated, fat, and generally unhappy people.

But that is, of course, just me.  What do y'all think?

Gern :smile: 

--------------------
There is no flag large enough to cover the shame of killing innocent people.
  --  Howard Zinn

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisiblePsiloKitten
Ganja Goddess

Re: The nature of the mother... [Re: GernBlanston]
    #1723795 - 07/17/03 01:08 AM (20 years, 8 months ago)

I have no doubts that both salvia and mushroom elicit a kinship with the earth that breaks down our perceptions of reality in such a way that we are able to percieve entities or beings that protect us all.

Although I believe in a singular God, I believe it takes many forms in the minds of humans. I find it interesting that the earth has always taken the form of female.. nurturing, life giving. It has always made me feel cradled within it and inspired thoughts of beauty and gentle grace. However, on a recent trip I resolved alot of my feelings of it being a seperate entity, with a guardian, and it kind of relates to the end of your post:
"THIS is what I think mother nature is. I think that It / She is a real consciousness, if not an actual physical entity. We are part of her, and when we forget that, and get too far away from her roots and spend too long out of her arms (forgive me for being poetic - I'm on a roll), then we pay the psychic price for having become lost to a part of ourselves. And that makes for a lot of angry, sick, frustrated, fat, and generally unhappy people."

I think we are all part of the earth, and that it is true that when we forget that we do pay the price.. but in that same token I think that we all make up the spiritual entity that serves as watcher and protecter of the earth.. we are all responsible for getting in touch with that part of ourseleves. So, when Im on mushrooms or salvia and I feel the feminine presence of mother earth, I find that it comes more from within.. then without.

--------------------

OfflineGazzBut
Refraction

Loc: London UK
    #1723942 - 07/17/03 03:10 AM (20 years, 8 months ago)

I quite agree Gern. Conciousness arises out of complexity and we are just neurons in the global brain.

Have you ever read any Peter Russel? I'd highly recommend checking out "The Global Brain Awakens" and "Waking Up In Time"

PEACE

--------------------
Always Smi2le

Offlineska8ball
anaxagoras
Re: The nature of the mother... [Re: GazzBut]
    #1724360 - 07/17/03 09:28 AM (20 years, 8 months ago)

I agree, and although i also belive in a singular god I distinguish mother nature and god. Most people on the s&p forums know the concept of all reality existing within the mind (if u need me 2 expand ask) so what mind holds the whole universe within it? I belive that the hive mind of the earth is mother nature and mother nature is a part of the hive mind of the universe just like the insects are part of mother natures hive mind. THe universe is infinite because thought has no limit so the mind containing the universe must also have no limit. These thoughts may be vvauge and foolish but i hope someone can see what i mean.

OfflineGernBlanston
unintended sideeffect
Male

Loc: OR
Re: The nature of the mother... [Re: ska8ball]
    #1724492 - 07/17/03 10:32 AM (20 years, 8 months ago)

No, Gazz - I've never read any. I'll check him out - going to the bookstore in a few minutes, coincidentally.

Ska8 - I don't think there's a question about reality as a construct of the mind. As you and psilokitten both brough up, there are 2 distinct 'entities' when talking about mother nature and the universal nature. I think that the mother nature... well, I don't see the two being part of the same. Hmm - how to explain...

The universal mind - I don't see that as the hive mind concept. The UM (I love acronyms) exists on a totally different plane than we do in our daily consentual reality; it exists somewhere where I refer to (internally) as 'underneath'. Whereas the Mother Nature Spirit (MNS) is a function of the organisms on this planet, what I would consider a closed system. The MNS is what I'm talking about as being the hive mind, whereas the UM simply is. The UM is not a container for the collective energies or presences, it is the sum of the all, and doesn't seem to fall into the same category.

And I really like the way you (Ska8) put it:
Quote:

THe universe is infinite because thought has no limit so the mind containing the universe must also have no limit.

Kind of poetic, but it works. It's tough not to be vague and/or foolish when talking about concepts like this, but I definitely see where you are coming from there.

Anyone else?

--------------------
There is no flag large enough to cover the shame of killing innocent people.
  --  Howard Zinn

OfflineMAIA
World-BridgerKartikeya (DftS)
Male User Gallery

Loc: Erra - 20 Tauri - M45 Sta...
    #1724750 - 07/17/03 12:40 PM (20 years, 8 months ago)

So, we might say Gaia is the mother while god is the father and every living thing on earth is the result of such relation. Gaia tries to make something up for its children and god comes once and while to see if everything is ok.
Sorry for divagating, it just crossed my mind.

MAIA

--------------------
Spiritual being, living a human experience ... The Shroomery Mandala

Use, do not abuse; neither abstinence nor excess ever renders man happy.
Voltaire

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Original Sensible Seeds Feminized Cannabis Seeds   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder