Home | Community | Message Board

Avalon Magic Plants
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5  [ show all ]
Invisiblepwnasaurus
Stranger
I'm a teapot User Gallery

Loc: Canada Flag
Looking for a good chef's knife
    #17239897 - 11/18/12 10:55 AM (11 years, 4 months ago)

Any suggestions?  I'm looking to spend $100-150 on a chef's knife, and I don't really know anything about knives.

My mom has a Cutco knife, it's pretty nice, but I figure there's probably some better knives out there for the same price.

What should I be looking at?

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlineplektheplek
 User Gallery

Re: Looking for a good chef's knife [Re: pwnasaurus]
    #17239903 - 11/18/12 10:57 AM (11 years, 4 months ago)

lol go to vector, listen to their long ass speach, pay for their knives (that you have to go door to door and try to sell) and then become a customer while selling their product

(dear pwnasaurus please note my sarcasm)
(dear vector please accept my appology)

Invisiblekoraks
    #17239916 - 11/18/12 10:59 AM (11 years, 4 months ago)

I don't have a clue, but an expensive knife is typically something that you buy only after you've held it to see if it fits your hand :shrug:
I can't imagine huge quality issues being a problem in the price range you're looking at.

As for myself, I use a set of decades-old nondescript Sabatier knives that my dad dug up while tearing down a shed in his backyard. Are they very good? Probably not. But they fit my hand.

Like someone much wiser than me once said: a good knife is the knife that, looking back over the past decades, you have used the most.

OfflineYthanA
ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ
Male User Gallery

Loc: NY/MA/VT Borderlands Flag
    #17239959 - 11/18/12 11:09 AM (11 years, 4 months ago)

The Shun Classic is probably one of the better chef's knives you can get for $150. But personally I use a Victorinox, it's a lot cheaper and still a perfectly good knife, I think it's a much better value.

InvisiblePrisoner#1
Even Dumber ThanAdvertized!
 User Gallery

Loc: Pvt. Pubfag NutSuck
    #17239968 - 11/18/12 11:11 AM (11 years, 4 months ago)

VG10 steel and a reasonable price with a 25yr warranty

http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/90131068/#

I'm partial to lamson but they're impossible to find now

OfflinePhred
Fred's son
Male

Loc: Dominican Republic
Re: Looking for a good chef's knife [Re: pwnasaurus] * 1
    #17239970 - 11/18/12 11:11 AM (11 years, 4 months ago)

There are so many really good chef's knives out there these days, but for the money, it is almost impossible to beat these two:

For under a hundred bucks

For under a hundred and fifty bucks

If you can afford it, spend the extra fifty and go for the MTH80. Better balance, a bit more heft, and it's bolstered. Both these knives are light and nimble and very easy to handle. Both are wicked sharp right out of the box, easy to sharpen, and hold an edge for a long time. Just get a really good steel (a good ceramic one) and steel the knife regularly and you'll be good to go.

Can't say enough about these knives. Yes, there are better out there, but not for the money. MAC knives are a well kept secret. Many professional chefs swear by them, but almost no one outside the restaurant world has ever heard of them. They have like zero advertising budget.

Just one caveat - if you have really big hands, the handle may not be a good fit for you.

Get one. Trust me. You'll thank me for it, I promise.

Phred

--------------------

Edited by Phred (11/18/12 11:14 AM)

OfflineCyans
mfmulcher
Male User Gallery

Loc: Pacific North West
Re: Looking for a good chef's knife [Re: pwnasaurus] * 1
    #17240002 - 11/18/12 11:18 AM (11 years, 4 months ago)

Go to a restaurant supply store or use ebay and get yourself a white rubber handled sysco or related brand commercial chef knife. They are only thirty bucks or so and sharpen up so easy.  Everyone that uses it  loves this knife. There's really no need to drop 100 bucks. It's basically dishwasher safe and commercial quality.

--------------------
reporting and trading from the PNW.

OfflinePhred
Fred's son
Male

Re: Looking for a good chef's knife [Re: Ythan]
    #17240015 - 11/18/12 11:22 AM (11 years, 4 months ago)

The Shun Classic is good, no doubt, but fragile. The steel they use is too hard for such a narrow angle cutting edge, so it chips easily.

As for that Victorinox, you are right that it is hands down the winner at that price range. By a huge margin. Nothing better till you hit double or more the price. I have several of that series myself (the one you linked, plus a 7" Santoku, the tomato knife, and the bread knife. Tremendous value). I love the non-slip handle. But, it is very light, feels flimsy in the hand, has no heft and no bolster. On the pro side, it is sturdy (won't chip), comes VERY sharp from Victorinox, holds a great edge, is easy to sharpen and steel, can be tossed in the dishwasher (though I don't recommend that) and never rusts. That's an awful lot of goodness for like $25.00.

I've seen the Ikea damascus santoku that Pris linked, but I've never used it. Looks pretty, killer warrantee, decent price. Handle looks good, too.

Phred

--------------------

Offlinech1ck3n.s0up
Troubled Loner
Male User Gallery

Loc: Hunting Fungi
Re: Looking for a good chef's knife [Re: Cyans]
    #17240049 - 11/18/12 11:28 AM (11 years, 4 months ago)

Personally I like this one from Zwilling/J.A. Henckels. German made; good stuff.
http://zwillingonline.com/31021160.html

They last FOREVER. This particular model is It's relatively short at 6", but I feel that I have better control with a shorter chef's knife. Some prefer 8", or even 10", but that's a personal decision...here's their whole collection of chef's knives:
http://zwillingonline.com/chefsknife1.html

--------------------

"Inspiration ~ Move me brightly ~ light the song with sense and color ~ hold away despair ~ more than this I will not ask ~ faced with mysteries dark and vast ~ statements just seem vain at last" --Jerry Garcia, Terrapin Station

"Officer, I'm going to remain silent, and I would like to speak with a lawyer. I'm not resisting, but I don't consent to any searches.

Edited by ch1ck3n.s0up (11/18/12 11:29 AM)

InvisiblePrisoner#1
 User Gallery

Re: Looking for a good chef's knife [Re: Phred]
    #17240067 - 11/18/12 11:34 AM (11 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

Phred said:
I've seen the Ikea damascus santoku that Pris linked, but I've never used it. Looks pretty, killer warrantee, decent price. Handle looks good, too.

same steel as in the shun knives including the $350 Shun Bob Kramer knives but
the angle on the edge isnt quite as steep so it holds up better, other than
that it's virtually the same for a far better price

Invisiblepwnasaurus
Stranger

#17240087 - 11/18/12 11:38 AM (11 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

Phred said:
The Shun Classic is good, no doubt, but fragile. The steel they use is too hard for such a narrow angle cutting edge, so it chips easily.

As for that Victorinox, you are right that it is hands down the winner at that price range. By a huge margin. Nothing better till you hit double or more the price. I have several of that series myself (the one you linked, plus a 7" Santoku, the tomato knife, and the bread knife. Tremendous value). I love the non-slip handle. But, it is very light, feels flimsy in the hand, has no heft and no bolster. On the pro side, it is sturdy (won't chip), comes VERY sharp from Victorinox, holds a great edge, is easy to sharpen and steel, can be tossed in the dishwasher (though I don't recommend that) and never rusts. That's an awful lot of goodness for like $25.00.

Phred

Yeah, I'm a fan of quality, and that Victorinox looks cheap and flimsy.  Definitely willing to spend $100-150 to get a really good quality knife that will last a long time.

OfflinePhred
Fred's son
Male

Re: Looking for a good chef's knife [Re: Prisoner#1]
    #17240095 - 11/18/12 11:40 AM (11 years, 4 months ago)

Yeah.... Ikea has some great kitchen stuff for the price. Next time I am in one I will have to look at that there santoku. It is pretty pretty.

Phred

--------------------

Offlinech1ck3n.s0up
Troubled Loner
Male User Gallery

Loc: Hunting Fungi
    #17240120 - 11/18/12 11:46 AM (11 years, 4 months ago)

Ceramic knives are the new rage now, but they won't sharpen with a standard stone/steel:
http://www.myceramicknives.com/

--------------------

"Inspiration ~ Move me brightly ~ light the song with sense and color ~ hold away despair ~ more than this I will not ask ~ faced with mysteries dark and vast ~ statements just seem vain at last" --Jerry Garcia, Terrapin Station

"Officer, I'm going to remain silent, and I would like to speak with a lawyer. I'm not resisting, but I don't consent to any searches.

OfflinePhred
Fred's son
Male

#17240139 - 11/18/12 11:50 AM (11 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

pwnasaurus said:

Yeah, I'm a fan of quality, and that Victorinox looks cheap and flimsy.  Definitely willing to spend $100-150 to get a really good quality knife that will last a long time.

Don't get me wrong - for a 25 dollar knife the Victorinox just rules! I use mine all the time when handling greasy stuff, because the Fibrox handle is da bomb in a slippery environment. It really isn't flimsy at all... it's pretty tough, actually, if a little flexy. It just doesn't have the feel of a forged blade. No stamped blade does. But the Victorinox is hands down the best stamped blade on the market, in my opinion. Beats some forged blade knives I've had, and that's no joke.

But go to the link for the hundred and fifty dollar MAC and read some of the comments from pro chefs and... well... just about everybody. Everyone who ever handles one falls in love with it.

I'm a bit of a knife freak, and I swear that MAC cannot be beat till you hit knives well over $200. Maybe not even then. You can get a 9.5" version without the dimples (which don't do anything anyway) for about $190, which would have been my first recommendation if you had set the price limit a bit higher. That extra inch comes in handy, and the knife is so light and agile that the 9.5 MAC handles like most German 8 inch models.

Bump this thread when you finally make your choice and have used it for a bit. I'm interested.

Phred

--------------------

OfflinePhred
Fred's son
Male

#17240306 - 11/18/12 12:20 PM (11 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

Prisoner#1 said:I'm partial to lamson but they're impossible to find now

These guys carry them. I must admit I've never even heard of them.

Phred

--------------------

InvisibleGumby
Fishnologist
 User Gallery

#17240320 - 11/18/12 12:23 PM (11 years, 4 months ago)

My parents have some of the Shun knives and they are very nice. Sharp as hell, hold an edge for a long time, and they have a nice weight to them. I personally have some cheapy knife set I bought at Target and some Kyocera ceramic knives. The ceramic knives are the tits, sharpest knives I've ever used. Just have to be careful with them because they are fragile.

OfflinePhred
Fred's son
Male

Re: Looking for a good chef's knife [Re: Gumby]
    #17240379 - 11/18/12 12:32 PM (11 years, 4 months ago)

Yeah... the Kyoceras are pretty damn sharp. The thing is, though, you pretty much have to be satisfied with their sharpness from the factory, because it's hard as hell (and expensive) to sharpen them all the way to the level that someone good at sharpening knives can get a metal blade. Like to the point where you can shave the hair off your arm with a single light pass kinda sharp.

The other limitation of ceramic knives is they are short. They pretty much max out at 6 inches, which just won't work for a chef's knife/gyuto.

For me, a chef's knife has to be minimum 8", with 8.5" being better. A santoku can be 7", no problem, but not a gyuto or chef's knife. Some pro chefs will have chef's knives as long as 12", but they are unwieldy for all but the most proficient of old school professional chefs. 8.5" to 9.5" is the sweet spot for most non-professional chefs for that style of knife.

Phred

--------------------

Edited by Phred (11/18/12 01:03 PM)

Offlineganjfather
uncle randy
Male User Gallery

Loc: Flag
    #17240651 - 11/18/12 01:11 PM (11 years, 4 months ago)

I'll state I'm a chef before I post anything, that's why I know about this shit.
If you are going to spend $100-150 you can get a real nice knife. My top two favorite brands are wustof and shun.

Shuns are really nice, forged like samurai swords, even have waves in them. But they are overpriced. They are sturdy and they use good materials so it will keep an edge longer than most. If you are meticulous with your shit, it will last your life time but your looking at $100-200.

Wustof's are also a little overpriced but they make some really nice knives. They will last just as long as a shun but ime they don't hold sharp quite as long as a shun. But some of their designs make their knives superior to most.

Earlier this year I bought some new Wustofs. this knife right herr is my new favorite knife. I use it for everything, even though I have a couple thousand in other knifes, this one is the best I've handled to date because its multi purpose and can cut anything. Amazon's price is really good too, you won't find that knife for under $120 in stores.

--------------------

OfflinePDU
travel kid vs.amerika
 User Gallery

Loc: beautiful BC
Re: Looking for a good chef's knife [Re: ganjfather]
    #17240882 - 11/18/12 01:50 PM (11 years, 4 months ago)

My folks and their folks used J.Henkel, and they have some nice knives in their series, especially the steak knives.

However, i must say, i purchased my girlfriend a 6" wusthoff chef knife for her birthday, and it's a thing of beauty. It is really well balanced, good hand size, stiff blade and after daily use it is still sharp since July (although is dulling.)

I have J.Henkels restaurant series knife (plastic handle) and it was $30 and supposedly the same blade as their higher end knives. The blade is thin and dulls quickly, I guess you get what you pay for...

That said, the Sysco restaurant knives that i've used we're pretty killer. I think maybe they are designed to be sharpened frequently, unlike home knives which can hold an edge for a good while.

--------------------
GO OUTSIDE.

InvisibleFunnyFungi
knowledge seeker

Re: Looking for a good chef's knife [Re: PDU]
    #17240894 - 11/18/12 01:52 PM (11 years, 4 months ago)

Dexter Russell. Its what all the restaurants that buy from the store i work for get.. And thats a lot of restaurants lol

--------------------

InvisiblePrisoner#1
 User Gallery

#17241117 - 11/18/12 02:28 PM (11 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

Phred said:
Quote:

Prisoner#1 said:I'm partial to lamson but they're impossible to find now

These guys carry them. I must admit I've never even heard of them.

Phred

lamsonsharp is actually a different knife, there were actually 3 makers of
knives under the Lamson name, JC Lamson, Lamson and LamsonSharp. Lamson &
Goodnow are the makers  of the latter

OfflinePhred
Fred's son
Male

Re: Looking for a good chef's knife [Re: ganjfather]
    #17241263 - 11/18/12 02:51 PM (11 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

ganjfather said:
Wustof's are also a little overpriced but they make some really nice knives. They will last just as long as a shun but ime they don't hold sharp quite as long as a shun. But some of their designs make their knives superior to most.

Agreed. For a French style Chef's knife as opposed to a gyuto-style, I would definitely recommend the Wusthof Classic 9 inch. There is really nothing but good things I can say about that knife, except it does need to be steeled somewhat more frequently than some knives, but that is a very minor quibble indeed. All knives should be steeled, after all.  Wusthofs are very well made and with intelligent care will last a lifetime, literally.

It is often handy to have the extra heft and thickness of a German-made French style, deep-bellied chef's knife. I love the full bolster on the Wusthof too. The ideal situation is to have one of each - a Wusthof chef's and a MAC gyuto. But if I had to pick just one for the average enthusiast home cook, the MAC wins. Thin, light, nimble and agile, cuts like a light saber, holds an edge for a very long time, easy to steel, easy to sharpen.

I agree with you that Shuns are overpriced, but I and many others are not as confident about their durability as you seem to be. It is not unusual at all to read of people who have had the edge chip, the tip break off, and worse. It seems the ones they are making today are too brittle compared to older Shuns. Yes, the hardness of their steel means they hold an edge longer, but there is such a thing as going too hard, and I think Shun has crossed that line.

Quote:

Earlier this year I bought some new Wustofs. this knife right herr is my new favorite knife. I use it for everything, even though I have a couple thousand in other knifes, this one is the best I've handled to date because its multi purpose and can cut anything. Amazon's price is really good too, you won't find that knife for under $120 in stores.

Yeah... a really good scalloped knife is a thing of beauty. You are dead right that a knife like that can do nearly anything. But scalloped edges can be a real bitch to sharpen. On the other hand, they seem not to dull as quickly. I may just get me one of those. Looks pretty well designed.

Phred

--------------------

Edited by Phred (11/18/12 02:58 PM)

InvisibleFischer
Teonanacatalyst
I'm a teapot

Loc: Downunder
    #17241510 - 11/18/12 03:29 PM (11 years, 4 months ago)

Shun are fantastic, especially if you can get them from the 'states where they are reasonably priced.  I haven't found them to be fragile; if anyone's dinging them I'd say you'd have to be cutting onto something inappropriate (go get an end-grain cutting-board) or not making a straight cut (strafing the blade as it hits the block). 

The handles on the Shuns are the best I've used bar none (this doesn't apply if you're a cack-handed lefty, as you'll need the rarer and more expensive left-handed models)

I've got a couple of Kyocera ceramics, and I find them too hard to avoid chipping, as the slightest drop or bump against something hard will take little chunks out.  You really have to baby them and I can get my steel blades as sharp easily enough, so it's not worth the PITA-factor for me.

Invisiblepwnasaurus
Stranger

Re: Looking for a good chef's knife [Re: Fischer]
    #17241583 - 11/18/12 03:40 PM (11 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

Fischer said:
Shun are fantastic, especially if you can get them from the 'states where they are reasonably priced.  I haven't found them to be fragile; if anyone's dinging them I'd say you'd have to be cutting onto something inappropriate (go get an end-grain cutting-board) or not making a straight cut (strafing the blade as it hits the block). 

The handles on the Shuns are the best I've used bar none (this doesn't apply if you're a cack-handed lefty, as you'll need the rarer and more expensive left-handed models)

I've got a couple of Kyocera ceramics, and I find them too hard to avoid chipping, as the slightest drop or bump against something hard will take little chunks out.  You really have to baby them and I can get my steel blades as sharp easily enough, so it's not worth the PITA-factor for me.

I am a lefty.

Invisiblepwnasaurus
Stranger

#17241597 - 11/18/12 03:42 PM (11 years, 4 months ago)

I was looking on another forum and came across the Richmond Artifex.  People are saying it's a great knife, and it's a little bit cheaper, so I can spend some money on a decent honing steel and cutting board, and eventually a sharpening block or two.

Right now I'm looking at the Richmond Artifex (http://www.chefknivestogo.com/riar24gy.html)
and an Idahone 12" honing steel (http://www.chefknivestogo.com/sharpeningrod.html)

InvisibleFischer
Teonanacatalyst
I'm a teapot

#17241602 - 11/18/12 03:43 PM (11 years, 4 months ago)

Ah...  Might still be worth checking out, but if the price disparity is anything like down my way, you might be better off going with something with ambi handle design.

Worse than left-handled rifles =/

InvisibleAsante
Omnicyclion prophet
Male User Gallery

#17241627 - 11/18/12 03:45 PM (11 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

Ythan said:
The Shun Classic is probably one of the better chef's knives you can get for $150. But personally I use a Victorinox, it's a lot cheaper and still a perfectly good knife, I think it's a much better value.

Ythan is on the money, DEFINITELY get a Kai Shun knife if they are in your price range.  They are top notch VG10 steel knives.  VG10 steel is immensely better than almost any other steel chefs knives are made of.  Sharpens fairly eay, stays sharp FOREVER.

--------------------
Omnicyclion.org
higher knowledge starts here

Offlineteamkiller
ghetto drama whore
 User Gallery

#17241704 - 11/18/12 03:57 PM (11 years, 4 months ago)

my roommate got one of those fancy ceramic knives.  It fucking sucks.  Lost its edge really fast, so flimsy The tip chipped really fast.

I was just gonna say you don't really need too fancy a knife, you just need to sharpen a cheaper one like once a week.

Someone else said "see how it feels in your hand first" and i would totally agree with that.  I really dislike light knives.

--------------------

Offlineeastcoastremedy
 User Gallery

Loc: appalachia
Re: Looking for a good chef's knife [Re: teamkiller]
    #17241871 - 11/18/12 04:24 PM (11 years, 4 months ago)

i have the basic 8" chef knife from cold steel.
iI love it. steel it for 10 seconds before i use it and it takes a mean edge.
grip is really friendly too

InvisiblePrisoner#1
 User Gallery

Re: Looking for a good chef's knife [Re: Asante]
    #17242136 - 11/18/12 05:16 PM (11 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

Wiccan_Seeker said:
Quote:

Ythan said:

Ythan is on the money, DEFINITELY get a Kai Shun knife if they are in your price range.  They are top notch VG10 steel knives.  VG10 steel is immensely better than almost any other steel chefs knives are made of.  Sharpens fairly eay, stays sharp FOREVER.

1/3 the price

Quote:

Prisoner#1 said:
VG10 steel and a reasonable price with a 25yr warranty

http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/90131068/#

InvisibleFischer
Teonanacatalyst
I'm a teapot

#17242186 - 11/18/12 05:23 PM (11 years, 4 months ago)

You can get the equivalent Shun for 70 bucks, and Bradley/Kai/ZT are a brand that I would pay an extra twenty bucks to support.

OfflineSimonJester

Loc: Rocky Mountains
    #17242602 - 11/18/12 06:21 PM (11 years, 4 months ago)

Victorinox fibrox 8 inch chefs knife.

Affordable, durable, and incredibly usable.

Also, its made by the same folks who make the swiss army knife!

For thirty bucks you can't lose. Its such a good knife.

Edited by SimonJester (11/18/12 06:27 PM)

Invisiblepwnasaurus
Stranger

Re: Looking for a good chef's knife [Re: SimonJester]
    #17242748 - 11/18/12 06:48 PM (11 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

SimonJester said:
Victorinox fibrox 8 inch chefs knife.

Affordable, durable, and incredibly usable.

Also, its made by the same folks who make the swiss army knife!

For thirty bucks you can't lose. Its such a good knife.

I think I'm probably going to go with the Richmond Artifex for the chef's knife, but since you guys are all saying such great things about Victorinox I will probably get a steak knife set from them.

InvisibleAcidic_SlothM
Acidic poly-Sided Di-slothamide
 User Gallery

Loc: ainrofilac Flag
Re: Looking for a good chef's knife [Re: pwnasaurus] * 2
    #17242855 - 11/18/12 07:04 PM (11 years, 4 months ago)

i also have a couple Victorinox knives, being a poor college student, i can't afford to be exorbitant. i love them! i do wish they were a little heavier, but the handles are so great and they really keep their edge and i use them almost every day, and they are worth every penny and more.

i do hope to one day have a couple of really nice knives that will last me the rest of my life. but for now, Victorinox is my go-to.

--------------------
-- Accept my heart warming gift of TREE SCRATCHIES!!! I absolve thee!! --

JaP: 30,000 lines of gay, cock, and fag can't be wrong
Ped: only in #shroomery is "smuggle opium in her ass" followed by "i don't want shitty opium" which is followed by " *** Joins: PENISSQUAD"
--
JaP: What would this place be without random sluts?
JaP: Nothing, I tell you.

:heart: :todcasil: :heart:

OfflinePhred
Fred's son
Male

Re: Looking for a good chef's knife [Re: Acidic_Sloth] * 1
    #17243509 - 11/18/12 08:50 PM (11 years, 4 months ago)

Yeah... it's actually quite astounding just how long they keep an edge between steeling. And they come really REALLY sharp from the factory. And you don't have to baby them. The 10" chef's knife I own gets a lot of use - on anything with a bone in it or anything where my hands will get greasy it's the one I reach for. And the bread knife is just as good as any, better than most, and dirt cheap. Also, they make the best ten dollar fork-tip tomato knife in the world. SCARY sharp, and you can slice tomatoes so thin you an read fine print through the slices.

In terms of function for the buck, it's hard to justify ever spending more. But a really top end knife is just soooooo nice to work with.

--------------------

Invisibleabltsandwich
JFK = Jelly Donut
Female User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Dildoville Flag
    #17243559 - 11/18/12 08:59 PM (11 years, 4 months ago)

Yoshikane

InvisibleAcidic_SlothM
Acidic poly-Sided Di-slothamide
 User Gallery

Loc: ainrofilac Flag
    #17243616 - 11/18/12 09:08 PM (11 years, 4 months ago)

one day some day...

i SWEAR that i will have super awesome knives before i die.

also: like, retarded sharp. like, i shouldn't be handling because i'm such a klutz sharp. the first time i used it i sliced myself real good, but it was mostly because i had been so used to using super dull knives to cut things; a sharp knife was so foreign to me.

--------------------
-- Accept my heart warming gift of TREE SCRATCHIES!!! I absolve thee!! --

JaP: 30,000 lines of gay, cock, and fag can't be wrong
Ped: only in #shroomery is "smuggle opium in her ass" followed by "i don't want shitty opium" which is followed by " *** Joins: PENISSQUAD"
--
JaP: What would this place be without random sluts?
JaP: Nothing, I tell you.

:heart: :todcasil: :heart:

InvisiblePrisoner#1
 User Gallery

Re: Looking for a good chef's knife [Re: abltsandwich]
    #17243665 - 11/18/12 09:17 PM (11 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

abltsandwich said:
Yoshikane

jay fisher

InvisibleFischer
Teonanacatalyst
I'm a teapot

#17243681 - 11/18/12 09:21 PM (11 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

Phred said:In terms of function for the buck, it's hard to justify ever spending more. But a really top end knife is just soooooo nice to work with.

I find it's more a matter of the style/grind than the price/steel.  Cheap steel wears quickly but takes f-all time to put an edge on when honing or sharpening.  Better steel lasts longer between sharpening but can take substantially more time to sharpen unless you're using a sharpening jig (EdgePro Apex et al). 

If I was new to sharpening and only had a waterstone I'd go for soft steel.  Because I can hold a consistent angle and now use a jig, I much prefer the better steels.

But irrespective of the steel, the thinner blades and sharper grinds of the jap blades are just godly.  I don't beat on my knives or do much carving of meat on the bone, but for fruit/veg/steak/etc I can't imagine using anything else.

Invisibleabltsandwich
JFK = Jelly Donut
Female User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: Looking for a good chef's knife [Re: Prisoner#1] * 2
    #17243684 - 11/18/12 09:22 PM (11 years, 4 months ago)

Do they price those by the ugly?

InvisiblePrisoner#1
 User Gallery

Re: Looking for a good chef's knife [Re: abltsandwich] * 2
    #17243795 - 11/18/12 09:48 PM (11 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

abltsandwich said:

yes and if you were one of his knives you'd be way out of anyone's price range :smirk:

InvisibleFischer
Teonanacatalyst
I'm a teapot

#17243811 - 11/18/12 09:52 PM (11 years, 4 months ago)

Hehe, Mr Sandwich, please report to the burns ward for treatment of that epic burn.

Invisibleabltsandwich
JFK = Jelly Donut
Female User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #17244288 - 11/18/12 11:50 PM (11 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

Prisoner#1 said:
Quote:

abltsandwich said:

yes and if you were one of his knives you'd be way out of anyone's price range :smirk:

And scholars would list you as priceless.

OfflineJesusIsLord
Jesus freak

#17244291 - 11/18/12 11:51 PM (11 years, 4 months ago)

done

--------------------

And I will bring you out from the people, and will gather you out of the countries wherein ye are scattered, with a mighty hand, and with a stretched out arm, and with fury poured out.

Offlines240779
Male Unread Journal User Gallery
    #17244302 - 11/18/12 11:53 PM (11 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

Prisoner#1 said:

How are you so knowledgeable? You should go on Jeopardy.

Invisiblepwnasaurus
Stranger

Re: Looking for a good chef's knife [Re: s240779]
    #17244317 - 11/18/12 11:56 PM (11 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

240779 said:
Quote:

Prisoner#1 said:

How are you so knowledgeable? You should go on Jeopardy.

:rofl:

I concur.

We have the next Ken Jennings right here.

InvisiblePrisoner#1
 User Gallery

#17244503 - 11/19/12 01:19 AM (11 years, 4 months ago)

I dont want to be on TV

not to mention I'd never manage to remember to phrase shit as a question

Invisiblepwnasaurus
Stranger

#17245133 - 11/19/12 08:13 AM (11 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

Prisoner#1 said:
I dont want to be on TV

Yeah, you're a little too conceited to ask anyone questions I think :wink:

Offlinebroken
455 member(s)
Male User Gallery

Loc: fuckyeah!
    #17245184 - 11/19/12 08:26 AM (11 years, 4 months ago)

wusthofs are really nice.
Shun also make a great knife, but i little more $

--------------------
:willynilly:

InvisiblePrisoner#1
 User Gallery

#17245415 - 11/19/12 09:45 AM (11 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

pwnasaurus said:
Quote:

Prisoner#1 said:
I dont want to be on TV

Yeah, you're a little too conceited to ask anyone questions I think :wink:

:onfire:

OfflineCyans
mfmulcher
Male User Gallery

Loc: Pacific North West
    #17261956 - 11/21/12 11:57 PM (11 years, 4 months ago)

From someone who has used expensive knives and cheap knives the best thing you can do is learn to sharpen them well. The sysco 10" chef knife for 30 bucks is a great knife that I can get damn near as sharp as your 300 dollar knife. But hell nowadays it's not like a 300$ knife is even that crazy the inflation is so bad

--------------------
reporting and trading from the PNW.

Offlines240779
    #17350191 - 12/07/12 01:52 PM (11 years, 4 months ago)

Can anyone comment on those As Seen on TV knives?

InvisibleAsante
Omnicyclion prophet
Male User Gallery

#17350219 - 12/07/12 01:56 PM (11 years, 4 months ago)

Generally all As Seen On TV stuff is crap. Its offered at a bargain price yet its advertized in long infomercials. Something has to give, and typically its product quality.

As Seen On TV knives are usually made from the wrong steel, flimsily and sloppily made.  Either you cant give it the edge you want on it, or it loses that edge in the first cut.

For just $49.99 you get the chef's knife, the bread knife, the cheese knife, the fillet knife the stake knives.. get real. You get what you pay for.

You don't need a ton of knives, a single all purpose kitchen knife goes a long way.

--------------------
Omnicyclion.org

Offlines240779
    #17350245 - 12/07/12 01:58 PM (11 years, 4 months ago)

I just saw one commercial where he said it wouldn't need sharpening for a long time. :shrug:

InvisibleAsante
Omnicyclion prophet
Male User Gallery

#17350278 - 12/07/12 02:02 PM (11 years, 4 months ago)

Sure, but COULD you sharpen it if you want to?  And would it still be as good when resharpened? Its not unheard of for those cheap knives to be factory delivered with a coating on the edge to keep it sharp until the warranty expires.  Then the knife expires.

And please: DONT BELIEVE WHAT THEY SAY. The meaning of what they say is all twisted up so its barely legal.

--------------------
Omnicyclion.org

InvisibleAsante
Omnicyclion prophet
Male User Gallery

#17350302 - 12/07/12 02:05 PM (11 years, 4 months ago)

See that?  What crap? Heard what he said?  PRACTICE katana.  That piece of junk is sold under the pretense you can have sword practice with it, while you cant even tap that POS on the table.

Its all crap, dont be misled.

Nobody likes to spend money, but I'm trying to keep you from making a buy you regret.

--------------------
Omnicyclion.org

Edited by Asante (12/07/12 02:07 PM)

InvisibleFischer
Teonanacatalyst
I'm a teapot

#17350538 - 12/07/12 02:45 PM (11 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

240779 said:
I just saw one commercial where he said it wouldn't need sharpening for a long time. :shrug:

It's bullshit.  Believe it or give it a shot and see for yourself :wink:

That said, decent budget knives (like Wiltshire's) are very quickly and easily sharpened and not a bad option if you don't mind sharpening your own knives every month or two.

OfflineChibikitty
Kitties and Rainbows :3

#17350565 - 12/07/12 02:51 PM (11 years, 4 months ago)

I bought a fiberware knife set from walmart (it has black handles) and I've had it for about a year. It's probably the best knife set I've used. I grew up in a house of chefs and I cook every night. So... If you're looking for a good knife set, there you go. It's about $50.

You don't have to go buy 1 knife for $100+ bucks. That's just bullshit. Especially all those people trying to sell you shit on tv. Just a scam.

Hope you find a knife set that works for you :smile:

--------------------

InvisibleGumby
Fishnologist
 User Gallery

Re: Looking for a good chef's knife [Re: Chibikitty]
    #17352463 - 12/07/12 08:40 PM (11 years, 4 months ago)

Are you serious? Everything Faberware that I have bought has been shit times a million. They should just change their name to Itwillbeuselessinayearware and be done with it.

Invisiblepwnasaurus
Stranger

#17352498 - 12/07/12 08:51 PM (11 years, 4 months ago)

I ended up buying the Richmond Artifex 240mm and the Idahone fine 12" sharpening rod.  I have it in the box, going to open it and use it for dinner tomorrow, I'll let you guys know how it is!

InvisibleGumby
Fishnologist
 User Gallery

#17352516 - 12/07/12 08:55 PM (11 years, 4 months ago)

No! You use it NAOW! How can you wait to use a new thing you just bought? I just can't do that. I'd be slicing tomatoes and shit like there was no tomorrow, even if I didn't need to use them.

Invisiblepwnasaurus
Stranger

#17352626 - 12/07/12 09:23 PM (11 years, 4 months ago)

I would too, but I move in tomorrow, so I'm staying in my aunt's place just outside of town.  I just pulled it out of the box, it feels nice, and it's sharp as fuck.  Definitely looking forward to dinner once I'm settled in tomorrow.  Get my king size bed delivered on Sunday, the best bed they sell at Sleep Country :drooling:

Invisible4runner
 User Gallery

Loc: State of Jefferson
    #17352649 - 12/07/12 09:29 PM (11 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

Gumby said:
Are you serious? Everything Faberware that I have bought has been shit times a million. They should just change their name to Itwillbeuselessinayearware and be done with it.

I don't know, I have two farberware steak knives that have lasted for ages, and some other breadknife thing that is basically a farberware that works well enough. They are at least a decade old, of course they don't get used a lot.
Besides, they are great for camping. Although, these are older ones, maybe the cheap quality has actually gotten cheaper?

Now granted my main knives for kitchen duty are not cheap, one is a messermeister(baby cleaver) and the other I can't tell what it is anymore, but they are sharp as all hell. Got them both used when I was working at a restaurant about 15 years ago.

I did make the mistake by asking a kitchen store where to get knives sharpened. They told me to go to some place where they just ran em through an electric grinder. The thin knife has never recovered(need to take it to another place and have it really worked on), but the larger one has, but it took me a long time.

Edited by 4runner (12/07/12 09:32 PM)

InvisibleLySergic D
Drink all day and rock all night
Male User Gallery

Re: Looking for a good chef's knife [Re: 4runner]
    #17352692 - 12/07/12 09:38 PM (11 years, 4 months ago)

Im a chef and i use Wusthof.
Good shit right there.

--------------------

Broken heart don't feel so bad
You ain't got half of what you thought you had
Rock you baby to and fro
Not too fast and not too slow

Invisible4runner
 User Gallery

Re: Looking for a good chef's knife [Re: LySergic D]
    #17352721 - 12/07/12 09:43 PM (11 years, 4 months ago)

I had a Wusthof once. My roomate left it out at the station we both shared at our work.
It was stolen. :sad:

InvisiblePrisoner#1
 User Gallery

Re: Looking for a good chef's knife [Re: 4runner]
    #17352841 - 12/07/12 10:10 PM (11 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

anunnakian said:
I did make the mistake by asking a kitchen store where to get knives sharpened. They told me to go to some place where they just ran em through an electric grinder. The thin knife has never recovered(need to take it to another place and have it really worked on), but the larger one has, but it took me a long time.

if you want, mail it to me and I'll have it done in a couple of days, I sharpen
everything by hand and can guarantee it's suitable for surgery when I'm done

InvisibleGumby
Fishnologist
 User Gallery

#17352876 - 12/07/12 10:16 PM (11 years, 4 months ago)

How do you sharpen knives Pris?

InvisiblePrisoner#1
 User Gallery

#17352902 - 12/07/12 10:23 PM (11 years, 4 months ago)

by hand with water stones, I start with a 400 grit stone if the edge is really
bad with nicks and stuff and step up to 600 then 1000, 2500, 5000 and 8000
grit, usually when I'm done the edge is mirror polished

I sharpened a pocket knife for my neighbor that said he could never get it to
keep an edge, when I gave it back to him the next day I warned him that it
would take a finger off, he checked the edge with his thumb and needed 3
stitches. my big lamson and my cleaver havent seen the stones in over a year,
quick hone and they're good to go. smaller ones I have to hit periodically
because I cant get it through my mom and brothers heads that they need to
stop putting sharp knives in the sink with dishes

InvisibleGumby
Fishnologist
 User Gallery

#17352966 - 12/07/12 10:40 PM (11 years, 4 months ago)

I just might send you one of my pocket knives then. I have a Kershaw that could use some sharpening. Managed to nick it up while fishing this season. Luckily it's a straight blade, no serrations. How the hell are you supposed to sharpen serrated blades anyway?

InvisiblePrisoner#1
 User Gallery

#17352997 - 12/07/12 10:48 PM (11 years, 4 months ago)

ceramic/diamond stones that are tapered or specialty profiled grinding wheels,
typically the serrated blades dont really need sharpening because the
design is supposed to keep the actual cutting edges off of anything that
will dull it but it's been my experience that they pretty much suck

InvisibleFischer
Teonanacatalyst
I'm a teapot

#17353706 - 12/08/12 03:13 AM (11 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

Prisoner#1 said:smaller ones I have to hit periodically
because I cant get it through my mom and brothers heads that they need to
stop putting sharp knives in the sink with dishes

Look on the bright side; at least it's only the knives that have taken hits from it so far =/

OfflineMorphinTime
Tulpa
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Angel Grove
    #17353765 - 12/08/12 03:58 AM (11 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

Gumby said:
How the hell are you supposed to sharpen serrated blades anyway?

I don't know how fine they make chainsaw files, but one may work if it fit the serrations.  I think most are tapered.

Edit:  Already covered I see.  Time to go to bed.

--------------------

Edited by MorphinTime (12/08/12 03:59 AM)

OfflinePhred
Fred's son
Male

#17354099 - 12/08/12 07:37 AM (11 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

I ended up buying the Richmond Artifex 240mm and the Idahone fine 12" sharpening rod.

You will love that knife. Based on our PM conversations, I ordered one myself (the Artifex... already had the Idahone, which, by the way, is another superb tool at an unbeatable price) and a friend delivered it on Wednesday. My first knife in AEB-L steel, but probably not my last.

The handle on the knife is acceptable, but nothing exceptional. It's obvious all the money has gone into the steel, and a gorgeous piece of steel it is. Very good balance. Wonderfully light and very thin. It is a very nimble knife for a nine-plus inch knife. Handles like an eight inch.

Super sharp right out of the box. Like hair-popping sharp.

AEB-L is advertised as having all the benefits of stainless steel (no rusting) with all (or nearly all) the benefits of carbon steel - screaming sharp edge and lengthy edge retention. I have carbon steel knives that are slightly sharper than this one, but I haven't taken this one to the stones yet: I want to see how long I can use it as it came (with Idahone touch ups, of course) before I have to break out the stones.

The first night I used it for all the prep work for  a stir fry meal involving chicken breast, onion, zucchini, carrot, celery, green beans, mushrooms, red bell pepper, ginger root and garlic. The knife sailed through it all with no effort whatsoever. 

Looking forward to your report.

Phred

--------------------

OfflinePhred
Fred's son
Male

#17354126 - 12/08/12 07:46 AM (11 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

What brand stones do you use? Shapton? Nubatama? Chosera? Naniwa?

Or just trusty old Kings or Nortons?

Phred

--------------------

OfflineIts Pat
Still kicking
 User Gallery

Loc: THAT MAKES ME BETTER THAN YOU
    #17354128 - 12/08/12 07:46 AM (11 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

Ythan said:

Might I Fathom a guess in that a Lay-person could not use the full potential of a $150 Chef's Knife?

I know how to cut up steaks and food pretty damn good.  But I think an $150 knife would be lost on my cutting ability skill set or lack-there-of!  It would personally take me a good three or four months of working in a kitchen to develop all the different muscle memory and all that happy horse-shit to really take advantage of what a Good Chef's Knife can do.

And Like Ythan Pointed out you can get a knife that is just as good as those expensive one's for less.

--------------------

BigUpRadio
WorldReggaeShow
DreaderThanDread - Listen!
(druqs said) don't get arsey, just get RC.

OfflinePhred
Fred's son
Male

Re: Looking for a good chef's knife [Re: Its Pat]
    #17354177 - 12/08/12 08:03 AM (11 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

And Like Ythan Pointed out you can get a knife that is just as good as those expensive one's for less.

Just as good? Nope. Don't get me wrong... the Forschner/Victorinox is a staggeringly good value. For the money, there really is nothing else out there that can touch it. You would literally have to spend double (usually triple) the money to do better. But it is possible to do better.

Saying the Victorinox is "just as good" as a MAC or a Shun or a Takeda or a Konosuke or even a Wusthof is like saying the hundred and eighty dollar mountain bike at WalMart is "just as good" as a Santa Cruz Tallboy carbon frame mountain bike.

And no, you don't need to spend months as a line cook in a busy restaurant to be able to take advantage of a better knife. Anyone can and will notice the difference immediately.

Phred

--------------------

InvisiblePrisoner#1
 User Gallery

#17354190 - 12/08/12 08:08 AM (11 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

Phred said:
Quote:

What brand stones do you use? Shapton? Nubatama? Chosera? Naniwa?

Or just trusty old Kings or Nortons?

Phred

the coarser stones are Kings and the stones above 1000 grit Naniwa

edit: one of the fine stones is Kikuichi

Edited by Prisoner#1 (12/08/12 08:12 AM)

Invisible4runner
 User Gallery

#17354417 - 12/08/12 09:33 AM (11 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

Prisoner#1 said:
if you want, mail it to me and I'll have it done in a couple of days, I sharpen
everything by hand and can guarantee it's suitable for surgery when I'm done

Thanks, It actually needs to be reshaped. Right in front of the bolster there is a high spot.
I'll probably just get a new knife in the future and the old one can be my camping knife, so no worries.
That and when I get the right tools it will give me a knife to practice on.

OfflineIts Pat
Still kicking
 User Gallery

Loc: THAT MAKES ME BETTER THAN YOU
    #17354460 - 12/08/12 09:50 AM (11 years, 4 months ago)

Ok good point, I didn't know all of that.

I'm not saying someone who buys an expensive knife won't notice it; just that it's overkill if you would.  They can be just as satisfied by getting a knife that doesn't cost as much.

--------------------

BigUpRadio
WorldReggaeShow
DreaderThanDread - Listen!
(druqs said) don't get arsey, just get RC.

InvisiblePrisoner#1
 User Gallery

Re: Looking for a good chef's knife [Re: Its Pat]
    #17354649 - 12/08/12 10:42 AM (11 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

Its Pat said:
Ok good point, I didn't know all of that.

I'm not saying someone who buys an expensive knife won't notice it; just that it's overkill if you would.  They can be just as satisfied by getting a knife that doesn't cost as much.

satisfied isnt happy, buy that $10-$30 knife and you're likely to find it's
going to have to be replaced every few years as opposed to buying it for a
lifetime, that money adds up after a while. I've had my lamson for 25 years and
it's still in fantastic shape, I can resharpen it any time it's needed unlike a
lot of cheaper knives that just dont take an edge well and a dull knife becomes
a real danger

of course if someone doesnt know the difference between good knife and a
turd, you're right, they'll probably be satisfied and believe they made a
good purchase. my mom bought a set of Ginsu 2000 complete with the free steak
knives. they cant be resharpened because of the micro serrations and the
crappy stainless blades, needless to say, I hid them she still uses some
retarded cheapies for most stuff but when she needs something done such as
cutting something other than a potato, she calls me to do it

mine also dont do this

Invisibleabltsandwich
JFK = Jelly Donut
Female User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #17354705 - 12/08/12 10:55 AM (11 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

Prisoner#1 said:mine also dont do this

You obviously don't cut hard enough.

InvisibleAsante
Omnicyclion prophet
Male User Gallery

#17355092 - 12/08/12 12:11 PM (11 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

abltsandwich said:
Quote:

Prisoner#1 said:mine also dont do this

You obviously don't cut hard enough.

With an edge as sharp as Prisoner makes em you dont have to  :awebig:

--------------------
Omnicyclion.org

Invisibleluvdemshrooms
Two inch dick..but it spins!?
 User Gallery

Loc: Lost In Space
    #17459601 - 12/28/12 05:30 AM (11 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

pwnasaurus said:
Any suggestions?  I'm looking to spend $100-150 on a chef's knife, and I don't really know anything about knives.

My mom has a Cutco knife, it's pretty nice, but I figure there's probably some better knives out there for the same price.

I know this is a month old but if you're still looking...

http://home.woot.com/#ref=www.woot.com/sidebar/site@2.9-home/photo

--------------------
You cannot legislate the poor into prosperity by legislating the wealthy out of prosperity. What one person receives without working for another person must work for without receiving. The government cannot give to anybody anything that the government does not first take from somebody else. When half of the people get the idea that they do not have to work because the other half is going to take care of them and when the other half gets the idea that it does no good to work because somebody else is going to get what they work for that my dear friend is the beginning of the end of any nation. You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it. ~ Adrian Rogers

Offliner00tuuu123
Now I'm just really piseed
 User Gallery

Loc: I'll be there in a minute
Re: Looking for a good chef's knife [Re: luvdemshrooms]
    #17459633 - 12/28/12 06:00 AM (11 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

pwnasaurus said:

Hey man Dexter Russel is what professionals use my best knife is an 8" soku and it only cost me about 30.00

--------------------
:kingcrankey: Please report me to a Mod for hurting your punk ass hippie feelings :flipthebird: And all time Champion thread killer.:thatsayes:

Offlines240779
    #20134835 - 06/15/14 03:12 PM (9 years, 9 months ago)

Pris, since you're so knowledgeable about knives, can recommend a particular type/brand of knife for the procedure seen here (removing the spine from a book).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5FgCoRf1LGU

Offlines240779
    #20136067 - 06/15/14 07:37 PM (9 years, 9 months ago)

bump. ..just a good box cutter?

OfflineDangerZone
Stranger

#20136103 - 06/15/14 07:43 PM (9 years, 9 months ago)

Get something with high carbon. They sharpen up nice and they get that damn sexy patina.

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5  [ show all ]

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale