Home | Community | Message Board

Cannabis Seeds Zamnesia
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Anonymous

Reishi and Chantrelle
    #1722511 - 07/16/03 06:17 PM (20 years, 8 months ago)

I found some reishi growing under the deck of my house today. The pictures aren't the greatest, but worth showing. I think the reishi interpreted the wood under my deck to be stumps, make your own guess with the pictures here.

This is the spot, the white spots...

Do reishi lack their bright red color, if they're lacking sun?...

Chantrelle?

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineToxicManM
Bite me, it's fun!
 User Gallery

Loc: Aurora, Colorado
Trusted Identifier
Re: Reishi and Chantrelle [Re: ]
    #1722795 - 07/16/03 07:31 PM (20 years, 8 months ago)

It's possible that those are reishi, but try scratching the pore surface with your fingernail or a stick and see if it changes color. If it does, then you've got Ganoderma applanatum.

You realize that they're rotting your deck? The wood they're growing on will go bad relatively quickly and have to be replaced. The fact that they're fruiting on it may mean it's too late to do anything but replace those beams. You should check with an inspector of such things before it goes bad and the deck collapses.

That might be a chanterelle, but the photo is out of focus enough that I can't tell. Instead of normal gills, they should be blunt ridges and they should be cross veined. Gumby posted this excellent photo showing what I'm referring to:

They usually also have a somewhat fruit-like odor.

Happy mushrooming!

--------------------
Happy mushrooming!

Anonymous

Re: Reishi and Chantrelle [Re: ToxicMan]
    #1722880 - 07/16/03 07:57 PM (20 years, 8 months ago)

Thanks for the heads up Toxicman. I didn't really realize that they would eat up the beam, but I am aware the deck needs repaired. We've tried putting some additional support under there, but I've known something serious needs to be done. It was built on an incline of red clay. Everytime it rains the dirt erodes, and eventually the whole thing is going to collapse if something isn't done.

As far as the mushrooms go, the surface did not change when scratched. I am still not convinced that they are reishi either because of the brownish top, but I figured that was because of the red clay build up on top.

OfflineAnnoA
Experimenter
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: my room
Trusted Identifier
Re: Reishi and Chantrelle [Re: ]
    #1723848 - 07/17/03 01:41 AM (20 years, 8 months ago)

>I didn't really realize that they would eat up the beam,

I read somewhere that Stamets had reishi invade his house....
Does anybody have any details on this?

Invisibleangryshroom
Stranger
 User Gallery

Re: Reishi and Chantrelle [Re: Anno]
    #1723899 - 07/17/03 02:33 AM (20 years, 8 months ago)

They are just getting back at him because of hall his mass killings of their friends.

hehe

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies