Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale   North Spore Injection Grain Bag   Original Sensible Seeds USA West Coast Strains

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
Offlinezappaisgod
horrid asshole

Loc: Fractallife's gym
Union cannibals * 1
    #15078247 - 09/14/11 01:13 PM (12 years, 6 months ago)

This has been a delicious last few weeks in union history.

1.  http://hotair.com/archives/2011/09/13/irony-union-of-union-staffers-calls-out-wisconsin-teachers-union-as-a-poor-employer/

Quote:

As an employer, the Wisconsin Education Association Council would like a little latitude to lay off and hire according to what makes sense rather than according to arbitrary union rules. But the National Support Organization, the nation’s largest union of union staffers, won’t have that. When WEAC posted a job listing for the position of executive director of the Racine Education Uniserv Council, NSO responded with an online posting of its own.

“Don’t apply for WEAC vacancies!” NSO warned its members. Why? Because WEAC laid off some 42 employees earlier this year to make up for projected losses in revenue caused by Gov. Scott Walker’s “union-busting” (a.k.a. budget repair) bill. NSO says that, by looking outside the state — rather than to those 42 former employees — to fill a job opening, WEAC is guilty of breaching its contract with the United Staff Union.

NSO president Chuck Agerstrand said he is calling on his thousands of members to avoid applying for any WEAC jobs “until our colleagues have their position restored.”

“WEAC staff played an important role in the rallies and protests against the governor’s anti-union legislation and in keeping WEAC a viable organization. And this is how they’re rewarded for their efforts?” Agerstrand said. “It’s unconscionable that WEAC is going outside the state to fill jobs when they (have) 42 NSO members out of work.”

Well what do we have here?  A union decides union labor is too expensive and constricting.  How...................realistic.

2.  http://news.yahoo.com/longshoremen-storm-wash-state-port-damage-rr-144921214.html

Quote:

LONGVIEW, Wash. (AP) — Hundreds of Longshoremen stormed the Port of Longview early Thursday, overpowered and held security guards, damaged railroad cars, and dumped grain that is the center of a labor dispute, said Longview Police Chief Jim Duscha.

Six guards were held hostage for a couple of hours after 500 or more Longshoremen broke down gates about 4:30 a.m. and smashed windows in the guard shack, he said.

No one was hurt, and nobody has been arrested. Most of the protesters returned to their union hall after cutting brake lines and spilling grain from car at the EGT terminal, Duscha said.

The International Longshore and Warehouse Union believes it has the right to work at the facility, but the company has hired a contractor that's staffing a workforce of other union laborers.

Thursday's violence was first reported by Kelso radio station KLOG.

Police from several agencies in southwest Washington, the Washington State Patrol and Burlington Northern Santa Fe responded to the violence to secure the scene that followed a demonstration Wednesday.

"We're not surprised," Duscha said. "A lot of the protesters were telling us this in only the start."

Union on union catfight, gotta love it.  Of course, the hostages and the owners of the property weren't in that union but it sure is a message.  When can we start shooting looters?

3.  http://www.realclearpolitics.com/video/2011/09/05/jimmy_hoffa_at_obama_event_on_gop_lets_take_these_son_of_bitches_out.html

OK Jimmy, there's a lot more of us than there are of you, Jimmy.  Maybe we'll all vote to build a new football stadium so you can reach the endzone just like Daddy.

4.  http://michellemalkin.com/2010/09/03/big-labors-legacy-of-violence/

Quote:

A federal jury convicted one of Trumka’s UMW captains on conspiracy and weapons charges in York’s death. According to the Washington, D.C.-based National Legal and Policy Center, which tracks Big Labor abuse, Trumka’s legal team quickly settled a $27 million wrongful death suit filed by York’s widow just days after a judge admitted evidence in the criminal trial. An investigative report by Reader’s Digest disclosed that Trumka “did not publicly discipline or reprimand a single striker present when York was killed. In fact, all eight were helped out financially by the local.”

In Illinois, Trumka told UMW members to “kick the s**t out of every last” worker who crossed his picket lines, according to the Nashville (Ill.) News. And as the National Right to Work Foundation (pdf), the leading anti-forced unionism organization in the country, pointed out, other UMW coalfield strikes resulted in what one judge determined were “violent activities … organized, orchestrated and encouraged by the leadership of this union.”

What does this have to do with the last few weeks?  Consider:

http://weaselzippers.us/2011/09/08/white-house-invites-top-afl-cio-thug-richard-trumka-to-sit-with-michelle-obama-at-tonights-jobs-speech-to-congress/

Quote:

White House Invites Top AFL-CIO Thug Richard Trumka To Sit With Michelle Obama At Tonight’s “Jobs” Speech To Congress…

Thugs all.  Thugs and scum.

--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineSWEDEN
Miracle of Science

Loc: PNW
Re: Union cannibals [Re: zappaisgod]
    #15078606 - 09/14/11 02:41 PM (12 years, 6 months ago)

Unions were pivotal in the early 1900s because of horrible working conditions and unfair pay/hours. Now they are just artifacts of a bygone era that no longer benefit the workers, and therefore the company by proxy; they tend to only benefit themselves (union charter members who collect dues) and when they do benefit their lower-down members it is usually at an unreasonable expense to the company. Their role once was to ensure fairness and stability for every laborer; now it's to see how big of a bite they can take without gagging.

Those poor spoiled longshoremen. It's time they realized that they do simple grunt work and get paid accordingly. If their company's profits start to plummet for whatever reason, the logical choice is to hire cheaper labor. That's simple economics, and the disenfranchised longshoreman had better find another job that involves moving heavy things.

--------------------

Invisiblememes
Blessed

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: In a Tree
Re: Union cannibals [Re: SWEDEN]
    #15078649 - 09/14/11 02:55 PM (12 years, 6 months ago)

unions.  end them.

OfflineJT
Male User Gallery

Loc: athens Flag
Re: Union cannibals [Re: memes]
    #15081472 - 09/15/11 04:35 AM (12 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

meams said:
unions.  end them.

Only public ones..

OfflineSeussA
Error: divide byzero

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Caribbean
Re: Union cannibals [Re: JT]
    #15081501 - 09/15/11 05:12 AM (12 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

JT said:
Quote:

meams said:
unions.  end them.

Only public ones..

I have no problem with unions, even public ones.  I have a huge problem with laws that protect unions.  The union protection laws are what need to be done away with.  I see no problem with employees that want to collectively bargain with employers.  I also see no problem with employers that want to collectively fire all employees.  Even the playing field and get rid of union extortion.

--------------------
Just another spore in the wind.

Offlineflyright
Stranger
 User Gallery
Re: Union cannibals [Re: Seuss]
    #17229800 - 11/16/12 01:53 PM (11 years, 4 months ago)

I know this is a year old but I was at the rallies and I am a local 21 member! I got the job with my friend from Ecuador in a lottery drawing and not born in! Its not what you think it can be hard work almost always in the weather out on the water wear it is harshest! Its an  extremely dangerous job many men lose there lives almost yearly or are seriously injured! You spend years workin your way up to make the big money and its not half as glamorous as you think you know! Read the history on the web site men died for these jobs and unions! Most mad people are miss informed and or jealous! I worked two jobs for six years two get full time and of course my other job was a union at Longview Fibre company where the weak pathetic union has cost me over a thousand dollars a month in benefit loses over ten years while the company makes bigger and bigger profits on our backs! Point is support a union and fight for your rights and you may be blessed with not being walked on by employers! And dont judge thing you know nothing about I thought I knew many things till I walked in them shoes!!!!

Offlinezappaisgod
horrid asshole

Re: Union cannibals [Re: flyright]
    #17230165 - 11/16/12 03:25 PM (11 years, 4 months ago)

When companies can collude to set wages then I will support union rights.  Until then they can fuck off.  And public sector unions are a total abomination.

--------------------

Offlineflyright
Stranger
 User Gallery
    #17230474 - 11/16/12 04:33 PM (11 years, 4 months ago)

Public unions have different rules. China sets it own wages and health standards go sounds like good place to live! You should go check it out! On a serious note and really had no idea people on a forum like this could think this way! Love to you to man :smile:

Offlinezappaisgod
horrid asshole

#17230791 - 11/16/12 05:30 PM (11 years, 4 months ago)

Public sector unions have an oversized influence in selecting the supposed taxpayer representatives who they meet across the table in negotiations.  Do you not think that is a flagrant conflict of interest for the politicians?  Set a pay rate, advertise the job and, if you don't get enough response, raise the pay rate.  That's all that is necessary.

--------------------

OfflineChuangTzu
starvingphysicist
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: Union cannibals [Re: Seuss]
    #17231032 - 11/16/12 06:06 PM (11 years, 4 months ago)

I have no problem with a company having a policy to not hire union workers.  Since public officials are employed by the public and laws regarding public employees are the same as employer policies, there is nothing wrong with laws against hiring union workers for public positions.

Invisiblejohnm214
Male User Gallery
Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Americas
    #17231051 - 11/16/12 06:09 PM (11 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

zappaisgod said:
When companies can collude to set wages then I will support union rights.  Until then they can fuck off.  And public sector unions are a total abomination.

disgusting.

The first amendment is good law and good policy.  I hope we never get this quasi fascist system you seem to wish for.

Quote:

ChuangTzu said:
there is nothing wrong with laws against hiring union workers for public positions.

Yes there is.  Its unjust, and I think its arguably a first amendment violation.  You have the right to associate with whomever you want.

The most the government may do is refuse to recognize or negotiate with the unions, but if people want to form them, that's their right.  Laws prohibiting strikes and crap like that are also tyranical, though where a contract exists with the employee I'm fine with it.

Offlinepsilynut
aka Patchraper

Re: Union cannibals [Re: johnm214]
    #17231334 - 11/16/12 06:52 PM (11 years, 4 months ago)

My union has been in buisness since 1865. The trade would not be the same without it.

OfflineChuangTzu
starvingphysicist
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: Union cannibals [Re: psilynut]
    #17231383 - 11/16/12 06:58 PM (11 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

psilynut said:
My union has been in buisness since 1865.

Does your trade involve lynching?

Offlinepsilynut
aka Patchraper

Re: Union cannibals [Re: ChuangTzu]
    #17231394 - 11/16/12 07:00 PM (11 years, 4 months ago)

No it involves structural masonry.

Offlineflyright
Stranger
 User Gallery

Re: Union cannibals [Re: psilynut]
    #17232579 - 11/16/12 10:31 PM (11 years, 4 months ago)

I believe all charges in the longshore cases have been dropped we won the battle and they negotiated with us! On the other side most the stories were blown out of proportion do to small town propaganda and right leaning local newspaper and police force! If we wanted to lynch anyone we surely could have we have law enforcement out numbered by 10 to 1 the first day and as the pepper sprayed the old men in the group we begged to peacefully gather for we are all no each other in this town! But oh no they kept the abuse up so they next morning about 1500 showed up to from Seattle to Portland some from Cali even some of are Hawaiian boys to show what could happen! Next step was to shut down west coast and Australia vowed to follow! Trust me we were nice about it! I shed a tear that morning when I pulled in on my chopper to see hoards of whole family kids and all marching down to show support!! We have guys in japan and china fighting for workers rights this very minute on our unions dime and there is nothing in it for us just doing the right thing!!

InvisibleGilgamesh18
Herbivore Man

#17232594 - 11/16/12 10:35 PM (11 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

flyright said:
I believe all charges in the longshore cases have been dropped we won the battle and they negotiated with us! On the other side most the stories were blown out of proportion do to small town propaganda and right leaning local newspaper and police force! If we wanted to lynch anyone we surely could have we have law enforcement out numbered by 10 to 1 the first day and as the pepper sprayed the old men in the group we begged to peacefully gather for we are all no each other in this town! But oh no they kept the abuse up so they next morning about 1500 showed up to from Seattle to Portland some from Cali even some of are Hawaiian boys to show what could happen! Next step was to shut down west coast and Australia vowed to follow! Trust me we were nice about it! I shed a tear that morning when I pulled in on my chopper to see hoards of whole family kids and all marching down to show support!! We have guys in japan and china fighting for workers rights this very minute on our unions dime and there is nothing in it for us just doing the right thing!!

--------------------

Offlinezappaisgod
horrid asshole

Re: Union cannibals [Re: johnm214]
    #17234088 - 11/17/12 08:04 AM (11 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

johnm214 said:
Quote:

zappaisgod said:

disgusting.

The first amendment is good law and good policy.  I hope we never get this quasi fascist system you seem to wish for.

Why would the first amendment allow employees to collude but not employers?
Quote:

Quote:

ChuangTzu said:
there is nothing wrong with laws against hiring union workers for public positions.

Yes there is.  Its unjust, and I think its arguably a first amendment violation.  You have the right to associate with whomever you want.

The most the government may do is refuse to recognize or negotiate with the unions, but if people want to form them, that's their right.  Laws prohibiting strikes and crap like that are also tyranical, though where a contract exists with the employee I'm fine with it.

Bullshit.  Forced unions are tyrannical.

--------------------

InvisibleIcelander
The Minstrel in the Gallery
Male

Loc: underbelly
    #17234132 - 11/17/12 08:20 AM (11 years, 4 months ago)

Isn't that what govt's do also?  Force compliance to laws? Isn't this why I can't legally possess some drugs?

--------------------
"Don't believe everything you think". -Anom.

" All that lives was born to die"-Anom.

With much wisdom comes much sorrow,
The more knowledge, the more grief.
Ecclesiastes circa 350 BC

Offlinezappaisgod
horrid asshole

Re: Union cannibals [Re: Icelander]
    #17234357 - 11/17/12 09:22 AM (11 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

Icelander said:

Isn't that what govt's do also?  Force compliance to laws? Isn't this why I can't legally possess some drugs?

What is the level of government meddling in private affairs before one determines it a tyranny?

Don't blame the government for drug laws.  Blame your neighbors.

--------------------

InvisibleIcelander
The Minstrel in the Gallery
Male

Loc: underbelly
    #17234372 - 11/17/12 09:25 AM (11 years, 4 months ago)

I blame my neighbors for Unions too.

It seems pretty tyrannical to me that the govt determines what I can do with my own body that doesn't harm others in any physical way.

--------------------
"Don't believe everything you think". -Anom.

" All that lives was born to die"-Anom.

With much wisdom comes much sorrow,
The more knowledge, the more grief.
Ecclesiastes circa 350 BC

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale   North Spore Injection Grain Bag   Original Sensible Seeds USA West Coast Strains