Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   OlympusMyco.com Sterilized Grain Bag   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Capsules   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   North Spore Bulk Substrate

Jump to first unread post Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | Next > | Last >
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineTrippy_Smurf
Sketchy Mother Fucker
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Smurf Villiage Flag
Re: Just starting, have some ideas, but still not 100% RE [Re: Drshroomy88]
    #17278329 - 11/25/12 11:11 AM (11 years, 4 months ago)

I now have a 20-something quart one, but still break out the little one when I have a jar or two left over or need to do a small task like sterilize equipment.

--------------------
SECURITY:  READ THIS!

Chef:  Kids, what did I tell you about drugs?
Kids:  There's a time and a place for everything, and it's called college.

How to be a good shroomie    How to grow mushrooms    A collection of good links (may be outdated)    How things should look    How to pass a drug test

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleTheEaglesGift
The Nagual

Loc: Ixtlan, Mexico
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Just starting, have some ideas, but still not 100% RE [Re: Trippy_Smurf]
    #17278926 - 11/25/12 01:12 PM (11 years, 4 months ago)

When I was starting out I bought a 30 quart All American for 300 or so dollars. Best initial investment I could've made. The thing is a tank, and it will outlive me.

OfflineDrshroomy88
The doctor
Male User Gallery

Loc: The WWW
    #17279191 - 11/25/12 02:05 PM (11 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

Trippy_Smurf said:
I now have a 20-something quart one, but still break out the little one when I have a jar or two left over or need to do a small task like sterilize equipment.

Doesn't sound like a bad idea. What do you steralize in it? I may get one as well. How many qts is it?

--------------------
My first bulk grow journal: https://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Number/17233205

OfflineDrshroomy88
The doctor
Male User Gallery

Re: Just starting, have some ideas, but still not 100% RE [Re: TheEaglesGift]
    #17279235 - 11/25/12 02:12 PM (11 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

TheEaglesGift said:
When I was starting out I bought a 30 quart All American for 300 or so dollars. Best initial investment I could've made. The thing is a tank, and it will outlive me.

Damn! Good investment I bet. I don't have that money to dish out at the moment though. That's likely what I've spent on everything so far, or will here soon. I actually had to simmer my rye at a different place cause the people I'm living with thought the 20qt pot I used would break the ceramic-glass top stove! I did some reading on this, and most glass top burners can hold 50lbs, and are tested with more weight.  Either way it was a hassle moving it all. Now they don't even want me growing it because they read somewhere about mushroom farmers lung...
:rolleyes: I honestly don't think that could/would happen, at least not likely.

--------------------
My first bulk grow journal: https://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Number/17233205

OfflineTrippy_Smurf
Sketchy Mother Fucker
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #17281084 - 11/25/12 07:06 PM (11 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

Drshroomy88 said:
Quote:

Trippy_Smurf said:

Doesn't sound like a bad idea. What do you steralize in it? I may get one as well. How many qts is it?

I think it's 6qt.  I sterilize water a pint or two at a time, for making syringes from prints.  If it's convenient, I sterilize syringes in the PC, but I don't run a PC cycle just for it.  If it's not convenient, I use the boiling water method instead.

--------------------

How to be a good shroomie    How to grow mushrooms    A collection of good links (may be outdated)    How things should look    How to pass a drug test

OfflinePocketRevolution
Stranger
    #17282018 - 11/25/12 10:07 PM (11 years, 4 months ago)

So it's quite possible to flame sterilize inside of the glove box, provided you don't use anything flammable (alcohol, aerosols)...which you don't need to.  I used one of those push-button electric ignition cigarette lighters.  Just be careful not to melt the thumb of your gloves.

I had great success with a "gloves attached" box, and lots of mold with a "holes to stick hands through" box.  I'm really not clear on how pulling your hand in and out of the box doesn't create pressure changes or air movement.  I also have a hard time imagining the minor volume changes from stretching the gloves create big enough pressure changes to draw in and circulate contaminants.  (I had the tote lid as the floor of my glovebox rather than the roof).

Don't get me wrong.  I'm not saying the non-attached style is bad. I'm just saying, gloves attached works.  I colonized close to 50 jars before the first time I even saw green mold.

OfflineDrshroomy88
The doctor
Male User Gallery

Re: Just starting, have some ideas, but still not 100% RE [Re: PocketRevolution]
    #17282424 - 11/25/12 11:43 PM (11 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

PocketRevolution said:
So it's quite possible to flame sterilize inside of the glove box, provided you don't use anything flammable (alcohol, aerosols)...which you don't need to.  I used one of those push-button electric ignition cigarette lighters.  Just be careful not to melt the thumb of your gloves.

I had great success with a "gloves attached" box, and lots of mold with a "holes to stick hands through" box.  I'm really not clear on how pulling your hand in and out of the box doesn't create pressure changes or air movement.  I also have a hard time imagining the minor volume changes from stretching the gloves create big enough pressure changes to draw in and circulate contaminants.  (I had the tote lid as the floor of my glovebox rather than the roof).

Don't get me wrong.  I'm not saying the non-attached style is bad. I'm just saying, gloves attached works.  I colonized close to 50 jars before the first time I even saw green mold.

Hey I was the one all for the attached gloves. Others were bringing the method down. Putting it upside down sounds good, don't know why I didn't think of that. The lid is actually partially clear, so the bottom would be better for a top. Not really wanting to retape the gloves though, I taped them pretty well! But ya I see it the same as you man. And thanks for the tips. About to go inoculate now, all my jars are ready to go! Except one, which is half full, not sure if I should just pc one half full jar lol?

--------------------

OfflineDrshroomy88
The doctor
Male User Gallery

#17283092 - 11/26/12 05:22 AM (11 years, 4 months ago)

So just finished inoculation,:syringe: took a little over 3 hours with setup and all. Originally had 21 jars, only had enough spore to inoculate 18, so I'll need to reconfigure my monotubs now as far as spawn/sub ratio. How many monotubs do you think I can do with 18 1qt jars? Don't recall how many cc's in each jar, just made sure it ran down the side to the bottom of the jars. Could I do g2g for the 2 leftover jars once they're colonized, or will they be no good by then?(rye)

So correct me if I'm wrong, but I can colonize the jars in an open  room with light? Of a temp above/around 70-75F? Also I've got agar agar and light malt extract, how do I go about mixing them? Any boiling or anything involved?:shrug: Can't seem to find anything on it.

--------------------

OfflinePussyFart
Retired Cultivation Extrodinaire
Male

Loc: Orbiting Earth
Trusted Cultivator
    #17283518 - 11/26/12 08:11 AM (11 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

Drshroomy88 said:
So correct me if I'm wrong, but I can colonize the jars in an open  room with light? Of a temp above/around 70-75F?

Yes, Perfect!

Quote:

Drshroomy88 said:
Also I've got agar agar and light malt extract, how do I go about mixing them? Any boiling or anything involved?:shrug: Can't seem to find anything on it.

http://www.shroomery.org/9393/FastFreds-Media-Cookbook

http://www.mushroomvideos.com/Agar-Petri-Dishes

http://www.mushroomvideos.com/Strain-Isolation

OfflineDrshroomy88
The doctor
Male User Gallery

Re: Just starting, have some ideas, but still not 100% RE [Re: PussyFart]
    #17285800 - 11/26/12 04:58 PM (11 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

Notahacker420 said:
Quote:

Drshroomy88 said:
So correct me if I'm wrong, but I can colonize the jars in an open  room with light? Of a temp above/around 70-75F?

Yes, Perfect!

Quote:

Drshroomy88 said:
Also I've got agar agar and light malt extract, how do I go about mixing them? Any boiling or anything involved?:shrug: Can't seem to find anything on it.

http://www.shroomery.org/9393/FastFreds-Media-Cookbook

http://www.mushroomvideos.com/Agar-Petri-Dishes

http://www.mushroomvideos.com/Strain-Isolation

Awesome! So for the agar petrie dishes. I want to use this one, but I've got extra light malt extract, hope that's ok? Also it says to use an autoclave? Substitute that for a PC I'd assume? 15 mins at 15lbs?

Malt Extract Agar (3%)(MEA)(General Microbiology)(FDA M93)

30 g Malt extract
20 g Agar
1 L Distilled water

Boil to dissolve ingredients. Avoid overheating, which causes softening of agar and darkening of medium color. Autoclave 15 min at 121°C. Dispense 20-25 ml into sterile 15 x 100 mm petri dishes. Final pH, 5.5 ± 0.2.

This medium is recommended as a general maintenance medium. [1]

Didn't know you needed to transfer the mycelia so many times. Good to know! So I would just take a colonized grain, and drop it in the petrie dish then correct? And what conditions does the dish need to be in after that? How long will it last?

--------------------

InvisiblePastywhyteMDiscord
Say hello to my little friend
Male User Gallery

Loc: Canada Flag
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Just starting, have some ideas, but still not 100 percent! [Re: FrankHorrigan]
    #17285882 - 11/26/12 05:12 PM (11 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

FrankHorrigan said:
Don't do it. Using spores to knock up grains directly is just asking for contams. Spores and syringes are usually not 100% clean.

Ditch that entire plan. There are too many things wrong/outdated/incorrect in there to even know where to begin.

Then start here:
http://www.mushroomvideos.com/

Then read these:
Proper WBS prep
Preparing Bulk substrate
Proper Pasteurization

If you're jumping right into bulk, expect a lot of very time consuming failures. PF tek is the starting point for a reason. Don't be greedy, you'll just end up having to start over again and again :shrug:

Just curious as to what the use of spore syringes would be as I see people say shit like this all the time. They seem to be kinda useless and I am finding that I'm having more luck with spores>agar>grains, from spore prints that I made from previous grows. That being said, there are some strains that are only offered in syringe form. Also some vendors do not offer syringes at all. What is the best way to use those then?

PS sorry for the thread jack

OfflineDrshroomy88
The doctor
Male User Gallery

Re: Just starting, have some ideas, but still not 100 percent! [Re: Pastywhyte]
    #17298299 - 11/28/12 04:26 PM (11 years, 4 months ago)

Bump! :wink: Unsolved question regarding malt extract agar.

--------------------

OfflinePussyFart
Male

Trusted Cultivator
    #17298538 - 11/28/12 05:02 PM (11 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

Drshroomy88 said:
I've got extra light malt extract, hope that's ok? Also it says to use an autoclave? Substitute that for a PC I'd assume? 15 mins at 15lbs?

Yes thats fine, and PC agar @15psi for 30-40 minutes and allow to cool for 2 hours before opening the PC. Then allow the agar to cool to the point where you dont need any heat protection to hold it...then pour your dishes.

There is no need to boil the agar first...just do it like RR does in the video...mix it all in a bottle and just PC it.

OfflineDrshroomy88
The doctor
Male User Gallery

#17300091 - 11/28/12 08:55 PM (11 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

Notahacker420 said:
Quote:

Drshroomy88 said:
I've got extra light malt extract, hope that's ok? Also it says to use an autoclave? Substitute that for a PC I'd assume? 15 mins at 15lbs?

Yes thats fine, and PC agar @15psi for 30-40 minutes and allow to cool for 2 hours before opening the PC. Then allow the agar to cool to the point where you dont need any heat protection to hold it...then pour your dishes.

There is no need to boil the agar first...just do it like RR does in the video...mix it all in a bottle and just PC it.

Very good thank you sir! Getting impatient here waiting for the jars to start showing signs of life! Inoculated around 3am on the 26th, so I'm sure there is no need to worry yet. I read that B+ tends to colonize a bit slowly at first, especially at colder temps, but its been known to colonize at fairly low temps. Its probably between 65-70F in the room. Doesn't help not having heating in half the house. :thumbdown: Need to get that fixed asap!

--------------------

OfflinePussyFart
Male

Trusted Cultivator
    #17300114 - 11/28/12 08:58 PM (11 years, 4 months ago)

Spores can take 3 weeks in some cases to germinate and show signs of life.

OfflineDrshroomy88
The doctor
Male User Gallery

#17300347 - 11/28/12 09:45 PM (11 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

Notahacker420 said:
Spores can take 3 weeks in some cases to germinate and show signs of life.

Good to know! Thanks again Notahacker420, being helpful to me.:thumbup:

--------------------

InvisibleFrankHorrigan
The Inquisition
Male

Trusted Cultivator
    #17301655 - 11/29/12 07:17 AM (11 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

Notahacker420 said:
Yes thats fine, and PC agar @15psi for 30-40 minutes and allow to cool for 2 hours before opening the PC.

I wait 5 to 5.5 hours before opening my PC and removing the agar.
I hate condensation on my petris so it gets a good slow cool before the pour.
5.5 hours is the limit for me before my agar starts to solidify.

--------------------

Yes, you can bump my old threads with a question.
Here is how I get things done.
You should take a look. :hehehe:

Frank's tips and tricks. Updated on 3/21/14
AMU- Get an answer here -AMU

OfflineDrshroomy88
The doctor
Male User Gallery

Re: Just starting, have some ideas, but still not 100% RE [Re: FrankHorrigan]
    #17305184 - 11/29/12 07:30 PM (11 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

FrankHorrigan said:
Quote:

Notahacker420 said:
Yes thats fine, and PC agar @15psi for 30-40 minutes and allow to cool for 2 hours before opening the PC.

I wait 5 to 5.5 hours before opening my PC and removing the agar.
I hate condensation on my petris so it gets a good slow cool before the pour.
5.5 hours is the limit for me before my agar starts to solidify.

Sounds like a good idea thanks!

--------------------

OfflineDrshroomy88
The doctor
Male User Gallery

#17307042 - 11/30/12 03:33 AM (11 years, 4 months ago)

So I've been looking at the best method to take samples for later use. Cant seem to find where I should take samples from in the first place. How and what do I take samples from? I get my agar malt extract petries set up. Do I put in a colonized grain kernel from a jar into them? Or do i scrape off a bit of mycelium from the inside of the jar and wipe it onto the petrie? Or do I wait for the mushroom to grow, and cut a piece off of an ideal specimen? I know the rhyzamorphic mycelium is better than the fluffy kind. And I know that once I get a sample on a petrie, I should transfer the best part, the rhyzamorphic part to another petrie, to make an attempt to isolate the best genes. And to then transfer that to a grain jar. Right? :smile:

--------------------

OfflineTrippy_Smurf
Sketchy Mother Fucker
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #17307680 - 11/30/12 08:00 AM (11 years, 4 months ago)

Find a fruit you like (large, fast growing)
Tear open the stem (don't cut it)
Using a sterile, sharp knife, cut a very small piece out of the inside of the stem.  It should be no bigger than a grain of rice.
Put it on the agar.
When you see fast rhizomorphic growth, cut a small piece out of that branch and put it on a new agar plate
Repeat that last step until you have an isolate that grows uniformly

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | Next > | Last >

Shop: MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   OlympusMyco.com Sterilized Grain Bag   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Capsules   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   North Spore Bulk Substrate