Home | Community | Message Board

Mycohaus
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Feminized Cannabis Seeds   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies

Jump to first unread post Pages: < Back | 1 | 2  [ show all ]
Offlinemonoamine
umask 077(nonefor you)

Loc: Jacksonville,FL
Re: the Gifted Program [Re: Grav]
    #1723472 - 07/16/03 11:06 PM (20 years, 8 months ago)

I went from being in special ed (I actually had to ride the short bus to school in 1st grade) to the gifted program in two years time. We didn't have any sort of gifted program in my high school,but in Junior High the program was awesome. They basically let us educate ourselves. All we had to do was read a book every couple of weeks and write a report about and take some tests.

--------------------
People think that if you just say the word "hallucinations" it explains everything you want it to explain and eventually whatever it is you can't explain will just go away.It's just a word,it doesn't explain anything...
Douglas Adams

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlinetoned3f
Comfortably Numb
Loc: NY, Amerika
Re: the Gifted Program [Re: monoamine]
    #1723476 - 07/16/03 11:07 PM (20 years, 8 months ago)

I was a member. Similar to the rest of elementary school, it was a waste of fucking time.

Offlinemonoamine
umask 077(nonefor you)

Loc: Jacksonville,FL
Re: the Gifted Program [Re: DoctorJ]
    #1723483 - 07/16/03 11:09 PM (20 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

fuck hs... get your GED and go to community college if you need a degree to get a job or something. once you've been in community college for like 60 credit hours, you can transfer to a four year and they wont even look at your high school grades.

That's basically what I'm doing now ,but I have a real diploma from the local community college.

--------------------
People think that if you just say the word "hallucinations" it explains everything you want it to explain and eventually whatever it is you can't explain will just go away.It's just a word,it doesn't explain anything...
Douglas Adams

InvisibleZero7a1
Leaving YourWasteland

Loc: Passing Cloud
Re: the Gifted Program [Re: HagbardCeline]
    #1723804 - 07/17/03 01:12 AM (20 years, 8 months ago)

AP was such bullshit. i wouldnt call it "gifted" imo. no offense at all... its just that they were a joke. the kids were not any smarter, and it was bullshit the whole time! we barely got to excersize anything creative... or interesting. kids cheated and finished their homework and made good grades and got scholarships and went to GREAT... schools. i slept through my AP Exam. wasted 60$. ap economics was a JOKE, we had worksheets...YAY...for beauracracy... and a guy that shouldnt have been a teacher! AP art was bad ass though... my old art teacher did paintings of crop circles.

--------------------
What?

OfflineHagbardCeline
Student-Teacher-Student-Teacher
Male User Gallery

Loc: Overjoyed, at the bottom ...
Re: the Gifted Program [Re: Zero7a1]
    #1723819 - 07/17/03 01:22 AM (20 years, 8 months ago)

I didn't say that AP classes were the gifted classes, although in my school, some were combined.

--------------------
I keep it real because I think it is important that a highly esteemed individual such as myself keep it real lest they experience the dreaded spontaneous non-existance of no longer keeping it real. - Hagbard Celine

InvisibleDarkcloud
‮tiwkcuFtsilihiN
Male User Gallery

Loc: USA
    #1723861 - 07/17/03 01:47 AM (20 years, 8 months ago)

I took some AP classes in high school. I wasted $82 on two AP exams. They were pretty idiotic. But then again...high school was idiotic anyways.

My only good class in all of high school was AP English IV. I had a smart and amazingly beautiful/sexy female teacher who was pretty much liberal in the way she taught us. I loved her.  :heart: 

--------------------
:poison: :poison: :poison:

Offlinenubious
1up on the rest

Loc: Canada
Re: the Gifted Program [Re: Darkcloud]
    #1724335 - 07/17/03 09:13 AM (20 years, 8 months ago)

Me and school never got along. It was always so easy, so I just stopped paying attention. Got to smoking pot in about grade 7, and from there on in I just got lazy. Homework? Never did it. Did enough to get by, until I started to E a lot.. that fucked me over.. ended up dropping out three times.. between that and a fucked up family life, I never really had a chance to get my shit done.

It's funny, because now I'm 21, live on my own, and work with people who have college educations.. School means nothing - it's all how you apply yourself.

--------------------
No one knows the worth of innocence till he knows it is gone forever, and that money can't buy it back. Not the saint, but the sinner that repenteth, is he to whom the full length and breadth, and height and depth, of life's meaning is revealed. Good and evil loose all objective meaning and are seen as equally necessary and contrasting elements in the masterpiece that is the universe.

OfflineRhizoid
carbon unit
Male

Loc: Europe
Re: the Gifted Program [Re: nubious]
    #1724411 - 07/17/03 09:57 AM (20 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

School means nothing - it's all how you apply yourself.

I agree. The main purpose of school is to sort the sheep into various graded levels. I pretended to be a sheep and got good grades every year, but in fact I never learned anything in school, I learned everything I know by spending time in the library. I skipped classes to sneak away to the library...

It's what you know and how you apply it that is important, at least in my line of work (computer programming).

But if you want a job that needs some kind of license to prove that you're not a quack, then it's essential to sit through the necessary schools and do all the required stuff. That includes most types of academic research positions, where you usually need to have a PhD before you can even apply.

InvisibletrendalM
J♠
Male User Gallery

Loc: Ontario, Canada Flag
Re: the Gifted Program [Re: Rhizoid]
    #1724428 - 07/17/03 10:09 AM (20 years, 8 months ago)

I learned nearly everything I know outside of class, as well. Outside of school, most of the time.

I spent my days in school training my mind with the knowledge I had learned outside the walls  :wink:

So it turns out that school was, after all, useful for something  :smirk:

--------------------
Once, men turned their thinking over to machines in the hope that this would set them free.
But that only permitted other men with machines to enslave them.

Offlinepattern
multiplayer

Loc: Canada
Re: the Gifted Program [Re: trendal]
    #1724837 - 07/17/03 01:14 PM (20 years, 8 months ago)

> School means nothing - it's all how you apply yourself.

thats true. try moving to a big city where you dont know anyone. your education means shit.

--------------------
man = monkey + mushroom

Offlinegnrm23
Carpal Tunnel
Loc: n. e. OH, USSA
Re: the Gifted Program [Re: Sclorch]
    #1724921 - 07/17/03 02:01 PM (20 years, 8 months ago)

in cleveland primary schools in the early 60s it was called "major works program"...
been there, done that...
junior high, accelerated program (cincinnati)
hs (erie pa) SATs 99%ile, national merit scholar, who's who in american high schools...
bfd, couldn't make it past 3 semesters at case tech... (never had actual "competition" before :wink: ... & i was "easily distracted" ...
finally bart simpson's motto struck me --- "underachiever and proud of it"
...well, eventually finished college ar csu on the work full time & take occasional classes until you eventually graduate program, hehheh...

--------------------
old enough to know better
not old enough to care

Edited by gnrm23 (07/17/03 02:06 PM)

InvisibleZero7a1
Leaving YourWasteland

#1725307 - 07/17/03 04:00 PM (20 years, 8 months ago)

yeah thats what i figured. i was actually going to say something about it beforehand, but i decided not too. sorry to come off that way. i know they arent "special" and i dont think you thought that anyway! or at least i had no idea of knowing.... anyway. sorry about that!

--------------------
What?

Offlineneutralizer
Spiritual beinghaving a Humanexperience
Loc: This Planet Earth
    #1725470 - 07/17/03 04:42 PM (20 years, 8 months ago)

I graduated high school with 20 other people, so you can imagine the amount of money and time invested in my old school's 'Gifted and Talented' program. It was fun, though; we got to play pictionary, look for Waldo, and play with this neat learning toy, Geo-Tracker (I think that's what it was called). I think we read a book once; didn't do much more than that.

I grew up in Texas, and if anyone else stared school in the 80s-90s in TX you'll know about the TAAS test. About 2/3 of the entire school year was spent specifically getting us ready for the joke called the TAAS test. It was ridiculous, and not necessary - the school knew that the higher scores the kids got, the more money the school would get, so we were taught specifically to get a good score on that test - anything more was on the backburner. Being my cynical self, I'm sure that amounted to more money for the higher-ups in the administration, and of course more money for the small-town football team (and not to the band, or art deparment, or a GT program)...but that's how it is in small towns in TX. This lasted until I think my junior year. But by then we didn't even have a GT program, or an AP program (and I graduated hs in 99). The closest thing to that that we had was called "Accellerated Reader" - which consists of reading a book and taking a test over it once every several weeks. It was a joke.

After HS I moved away to college, lost religion, found out I was gay, and was introduced into the world of pot and mushrooms. I've learned more about myself and the world in the past 4 years than I did in the 18 before that. Maybe that's how it usually is..

--------------------
There are things known, and there are things unknown, and in between are the doors - Morrison

InvisibleZero7a1
Leaving YourWasteland

Re: the Gifted Program [Re: neutralizer]
    #1726929 - 07/18/03 02:24 AM (20 years, 8 months ago)

the TAAS test was the gayest shit ever! but now... its come back from the dead as the TAKS test. what kind of beuracratic bullshit is that? LOL! thank god im out of that shit hole. lol. all the other kids are stuck with like 5 even more seemingly pointless tests. IT was awful, i dont know if any other state has ever had to do anything like that. Do you remember they were teaching us that stuff in 3rd grade, getting us ready for that. All these years i could have been learning something important, learning how to utilize discipline for something that might have been important! but no... it was the TAAS test. im kind of glad though that our art program was pretty good. my teachers were awesome. The gt program wasnt anything great either, they read different books at different times than the AP students.

My school was pretty good though, its a Blue Ribbon School. I had an awesome german teacher... but i heard he has cancer  :frown:  :sad: . I need to call him. It was teachers like him that made me want to try harder, made me feel like that there is a place for people to do whats right in the world.

--------------------
What?

Invisiblehoushroom
shroom cowboy

Loc: space city
    #1744555 - 07/24/03 12:18 PM (20 years, 8 months ago)

there's no such thing as a TAAS test anymore? man, have i been out a long time. thats good though, 'cause standardized tests suck! i did shitty on my pre-SAT and SAT, and my counselor even told me not to go to college and instead work at a local factory. fuck her in the ass, i pulled a 4.0 at a respected university for 3 years and graduated top 5% in my class!

OfflineAmnesiac
Re-memberingcosmic wisdom

Loc: Unknown
Re: the Gifted Program [Re: Sclorch]
    #1744657 - 07/24/03 01:00 PM (20 years, 8 months ago)

I never gave enough of a shit about school, but had I applied myself I'm sure they would have put me in it. I always aced my tests, but never did homework because I didn't believe in it. I was only ever willing to give them so much of my time and effort. I had more important things on my mind.

Like remembering who I was and why I came to this twisted reality.

--------------------
Here we are, in these bodies, on this planet in an endless universe. This is not the extent of who we are... merely an extension of who we really are.

OfflineAlbino_Jesus
Clearly Retarded
 User Gallery

Loc: Construction ahead...
Re: the Gifted Program [Re: Amnesiac]
    #1744681 - 07/24/03 01:08 PM (20 years, 8 months ago)

I don't know why, but I really enjoy standardized tests.

actually, I think the waiting for a month and recieving results and then sitting back while all my classmates compare scores, then being asked to show mine, then seeing the looks on their faces... that was the good part....

narf

--------------------
The only difference between the Republican and Democratic parties is the velocities with which their knees hit the floor when corporations knock on their door.
-Ralph Nader

Jump to top Pages: < Back | 1 | 2  [ show all ]

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Feminized Cannabis Seeds   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies