Home | Community | Message Board

Kraken Kratom
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Hunting and Identification

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
InvisibleTomJoad
Goddamn Red
Male User Gallery

Loc: Oregon
This may be an unoriginal post concept but...
    #1721889 - 07/16/03 04:47 PM (13 years, 4 months ago)

Part of the fun of mushroom hunting, for me, is the things you find besides whatever you are particularly after. On my morel hunts this year i found a couple of false morels and a hell of a lot of mica caps, as well as a lot of animal bones... and it was interesting to follow the progression of spring to figure out when morel time was (here once the blue phlox is flowering and the mayapples are popping up, you just need one more rain and there they are).

I was curious as to what everyone's favorite things to find on mushroom hunts are, non-psychoactively speaking, that is, so I was thinking if people want to post their favorite edible and non edible mushrooms to find locally, as well as an edible non-mushroom. Preferably things found near where you live, to give an idea of what different sorts of things, mushrooms and otherwise, live in everyone's "back yard". List your state or region as well if you dont mind...

Personally, my favorite edible mushroom around here is (surprise), the morel, tho that may change whenever these damn lobsters come up. My favorite non-edible mushroom is a toss up between dead man's fingers and the jack 0'lantern mushroom, the scientific names of both of which elude me at the moment, I found both only once, while lost in forests on opposite sides of the town I live in. My favorite edible non-mushroom is blackberries, which were out in full force here just recently, here being Kansas.

Anyone else?

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Offlinecanid
irregular meat sprocket
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: looking for zeebras, n. c...
Trusted Identifier
Re: This may be an unoriginal post concept but... [Re: TomJoad]
    #1721993 - 07/16/03 05:20 PM (13 years, 4 months ago)

i often find green amaranth, wild onion, wild mustard, and many other wild vegies and herbs.
i love to find any unfamiliar mushrooms and attempt to identify them.

--------------------

Attn PWN hunters: If you should come across a bluing Psilocybe matching P. pellicolusa please smell it.
If you detect a scent reminiscent of Anethole (anise) please preserve a specimen or two for study and please PM me.

InvisibleTomJoad
Goddamn Red
Male User Gallery

Re: This may be an unoriginal post concept but... [Re: canid]
    #1722017 - 07/16/03 05:29 PM (13 years, 4 months ago)

wild mustard is one of my favorite edibles, but i don't find it around here... when i lived in the woods in NM i ate it every day.

OfflineGumbyM
Fishnologist
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: BRICK CITY!
Trusted Identifier
    #1723662 - 07/17/03 02:17 AM (13 years, 4 months ago)

I live about 35 miles north of Atlanta, GA.

I find all kinds of crazy things when I'm looking for mushrooms. If I'm looking for actives(weilii) I'm normaly just walking/driving around in neighborhoods... nothing great there, just lots of dog crap.

If I'm out looking for edibles(morels/chanterelles/oysters) I'll be going deep into the woods. I find lots and lots of reptiles in the woods. I've got a thing for reptiles so I'll normaly catch them and let them go. The other day I was headding down a dirt road to a river and I saw a snake crossing the road, so I slammed on my breaks to check it out. After skidding for about 30-40 feet(yeah, I drive a little fast) I jumped out to see what it was... It was a small copperhead. I pulled out my snake hook and pinned the fooker down and picked it up. That was a keeper. I've now got a copperhead in a 29 gallon tank in my basement, pretty cool pet.

Last weekend I went on an expedition to find Chanterelles. One thing I found that I was excited about was just this random swamp/bog in the middle of the woods... The chanterelles were growing right next to it on a hill :smile: I also found lots of other fungi. The one that I saw the most of was some kind of white coral fungus, the stuff was everywhere. Next time I go hunting for Chanterelles(probably on Saturday) I'll take my camera and get some pics of the random stuff :smile: 

OfflineDobie
Dopeless Hopefiend
Male User Gallery
Loc: ON DA BLOCK Flag
Re: This may be an unoriginal post concept but... [Re: Gumby]
    #1724194 - 07/17/03 09:10 AM (13 years, 4 months ago)

i love find old pop cans when im hunting shrooms it just makes me think of some stoner 20 years ago with cotton mouth pickin shrooms in the same area

--------------------
This place is gayer than when the balls touch

InvisibleTomJoad
Goddamn Red
Male User Gallery

Re: This may be an unoriginal post concept but... [Re: Dobie]
    #1726064 - 07/17/03 10:13 PM (13 years, 4 months ago)

when i was morel hunting this year i found some odd drug paraphenalia, it was a mason jar w/ some sort of screen attached, a blue/green precipitate in the bottom, a tube coming off of it... weird. I just assume it's drug related. It's more fun that way. I also just happened to be hunting in the same neck of the woods in which a guy killed a kid and chopped him up, burying his torso in the woods and throwing the rest in the river (except, supposedly, the anus, which he chewed like gum)14 or so years ago, and let me tell you, that place was swarming with morels.

InvisibleStymee
From here to reality.
 User Gallery

Loc: PNW
    #1726288 - 07/17/03 11:16 PM (13 years, 4 months ago)

Some things I've found while mushroom hunting....

1) A bunch of stolen credit cards and ID's in the bushes.

2) A small bag of discarded pot.

3) A bum deep in the bushes sleeping.

4) Condoms in the bushes.

and that was just my first season.

Offlineicculus84
bob sagget
Re: This may be an unoriginal post concept but... [Re: Stymee]
    #1727526 - 07/18/03 02:01 PM (13 years, 4 months ago)

This is probably the scariest/trippiest thing i've ever found... but i love it! hahah.. found it yesterday at the field.

--------------------
Wisdom is a wealth of unique experiences-- what's more unique than a psychadelic experience?

OfflineMitchnast
Trial by Madness
Male User Gallery Arcade Champion: Mahjong

Loc: Okanagan
Re: This may be an unoriginal post concept but... [Re: icculus84]
    #1728164 - 07/18/03 06:09 PM (13 years, 4 months ago)

is that a baby head stuck on a dick? COOL!  ive considered something like that :smile:

--------------------

InvisibleTxTec
Texas home andheart breaker...

Re: This may be an unoriginal post concept but... [Re: Mitchnast]
    #1728293 - 07/18/03 07:04 PM (13 years, 4 months ago)

As far as animals i saw an armadillo the other day "big deal" but i have seen lots of neutra rats,wild hogs,deer,cotten mouths,king snakes,rabbits ect. The King snake scared the shit outta me cause they are big an black but he didnt even care about me... :smirk:

--------------------
I felt a warm warm breeze that melted metal and steele

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Hunting and Identification