Home | Community | Message Board

Lil Shop Of Spores
Please support our sponsors.

General Interest >> Political Discussion

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
InvisibleDoctorJ
Stranger
 Arcade Champion: Frogger

Loc: space
American Education= conspiracy?
    #1721373 - 07/16/03 01:37 PM (13 years, 4 months ago)

Has anyone else noticed that our education system tends to promote people who obey authority figures over people who think critically?

I've been in school for a long time now, basically just getting by by telling teachers what they want to hear... memorizing rhetoric and regurgitating it out on tests... I've noticed that blind obedience is rewarded much more than origional thought and ideas. I've seen some very unintelligent people get their deghrees and go on to high paying, important jobs, and I've also seen some very smart people get frustrated by the system and end up working at McDonalds.

Is this a conspiracy? Is the aim of the education system to promote obedient morons into positions of influence so they can be easily controlled? Or is it just a game of putting the most resources in the hands of the least intelligent to facilitate the process of consumerism?

I would love to hear everyones thoughts, both right and left.

--------------------
peace, pot, and microdot!

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Invisibleluvdemshrooms
Two inch dick..but it spins!?

Loc: Lost In Space
Re: American Education= conspiracy? [Re: DoctorJ]
    #1721402 - 07/16/03 01:49 PM (13 years, 4 months ago)

The American educational system (government schools anyway) is a travesty.

Social promotions and the reluctance to deal with shithead troublemakers, added to the PC revisionist history and general PC crap, is killing us. Kids today are the sorriest lot I've ever seen.

But hey, if we ever become a nation of strictly video game designers.... we'll kick ass.

--------------------
You cannot legislate the poor into prosperity by legislating the wealthy out of prosperity. What one person receives without working for another person must work for without receiving. The government cannot give to anybody anything that the government does not first take from somebody else. When half of the people get the idea that they do not have to work because the other half is going to take care of them and when the other half gets the idea that it does no good to work because somebody else is going to get what they work for that my dear friend is the beginning of the end of any nation. You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it. ~ Adrian Rogers

InvisibleDoctorJ
Stranger

Re: American Education= conspiracy? [Re: luvdemshrooms]
    #1721444 - 07/16/03 01:59 PM (13 years, 4 months ago)

"The American educational system (government schools anyway) is a travesty."

I attend a private university and it is just as bad. It produces corporate yesmen and independent thinkers at a rate of 10 to 1.

Private schools gotta give the corporations what they want, and corporations want braindead stooges to do their dirty work for them without question.

--------------------

InvisibleInnvertigo
Vote Libertarian!!
Male

Loc: Crackerville, Michigan U...
    #1721447 - 07/16/03 02:00 PM (13 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

Has anyone else noticed that our education system tends to promote people who obey authority figures over people who think critically?

If you're talking about history class then yeah i see it but there are some things (whether people like it or not) that you have to do as you're told like mathematics and the basic English lanquage. Id be happy if kids today could just read and write at an adult level.

Quote:

I've been in school for a long time now

What's a long time?

Quote:

Is this a conspiracy? Is the aim of the education system to promote obedient morons into positions of influence so they can be easily controlled?

I don't think it's a conspricy to make robots rather a conspricy to keep ignorant teachers employed. The Teachers union is by far the most to blame for the condition of the education system today. I have a group of relatives that are teachers and they're not allowed to fail anyone. That's just wrong.

--------------------

America....FUCK YEAH!!!

Words of Wisdom: Individual Rights BEFORE Collective Rights

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants." -- Thomas Jefferson

InvisibleDoctorJ
Stranger

Re: American Education= conspiracy? [Re: Innvertigo]
    #1721470 - 07/16/03 02:08 PM (13 years, 4 months ago)

"there are some things (whether people like it or not) that you have to do as you're told like mathematics and the basic English lanquage"

I agree wholeheartedly. but once kids get to Junior high, they should have already had most of the english and math they need. But they keep making the kids take the same classes over and over.

My question is: why aren't kids being taught to THINK?

Like one of my professors told me: "The first thing they should teach kids in school is how to say 'BULLSHIT'. Kids should learn how to listen to a statement, analyze its validity, and make a declaration based on that analysis."

Oh yeah, and I'm in grad school right now working towards my masters in psych.

--------------------

InvisibleInnvertigo
Vote Libertarian!!
Male

Loc: Crackerville, Michigan U...
    #1721483 - 07/16/03 02:17 PM (13 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

I agree wholeheartedly. but once kids get to Junior high, they should have already had most of the english and math they need. But they keep making the kids take the same classes over and over.

how many kids have taken Calculus and Trig in JR. High? I didn't take them classes until i was in high school. Anyways my biggest problem is the exact same thing you said but up a higher level. Kids come into College not even knowing basic Algebra, trig, Calc or even how to write a business letter.

Quote:

why aren't kids being taught to THINK?

It's not in the teachers syllabus.

Quote:

Like one of my professors told me: "The first thing they should teach kids in school is how to say 'BULLSHIT'.

I would agree however (assuming the teacher is competant) but lets be serious for a sec. There isn't too many Jr. High students out there that know the topic that is being taught better than the teacher. The average Jr. High Student is still ignorant. I'd say (with the exception of math and englis) that in HS it is appropriate to question authority in an intelligent manner by saying "BULLSHIT, AND THIS IS WHY IT"S BS", not just questioning for the sake of it, that many here do.

Quote:

Oh yeah, and I'm in grad school right now working towards my masters in psych.

and i've got a masters as well, so i've been in school as well for some time.

--------------------

America....FUCK YEAH!!!

Words of Wisdom: Individual Rights BEFORE Collective Rights

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants." -- Thomas Jefferson

InvisibleDoctorJ
Stranger

Re: American Education= conspiracy? [Re: Innvertigo]
    #1721509 - 07/16/03 02:26 PM (13 years, 4 months ago)

"how many kids have taken Calculus and Trig in JR. High?"

I did, but I realize now that I'm a bad example. and so is math. but math isn't really anything you can question, at least not until you get into quantum physics hehe...

I do believe that math could be taught much better in a way that would make kids actually take interest in it. like show lots of space and technology videos and tell the kids that its all based in math. I always thought math was useless until I started getting into astrophysics and molecular geometry.

--------------------

OfflineAzmodeus
Seeker

Loc: Lotus Land!! B.C.
    #1721975 - 07/16/03 05:12 PM (13 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

DoctorJ said:

I've been in school for a long time now, basically just getting by by telling teachers what they want to hear...  memorizing rhetoric and regurgitating it out on tests...  I've noticed that blind obedience is rewarded much more than origional thought and ideas.  I've seen some very unintelligent people get their deghrees and go on to high paying, important jobs, and I've also seen some very smart people get frustrated by the system and end up working at McDonalds. 

Its all a big fucking game.  I refuse to pay money to tell teachers what they want to hear, regurgitate info on tests, and act the way i need to to get that peice of paper.  I JUST DON'T CARE!  The system is designed for obeyers, not thinkers.  It would be like me working most of my life to buy a house, when i could go into the bush with a saw, and make a decent shelter in a month or two....let alone if i had nails and equipment...
Why pay for groceries, when you can grow them yourself?..or fish?..or hunt?

I get much more satisfaction researching whatever i want to know on the internet, and libraries, than going to college or university...its knowledge, not regurgitated crap i care nothing about other than to get a peice of paper. :tongue:

--------------------
"Know your Body - Know your Mind - Know your Substance - Know your Source.

Lest we forget. "

Anonymous

#1722873 - 07/16/03 09:56 PM (13 years, 4 months ago)

"But hey, if we ever become a nation of strictly video game designers.... we'll kick ass."

:lol: :lol: :lol: 

OfflineMalachi
stereotype

Loc: Around Minneapolis.
Re: American Education= conspiracy? [Re: Azmodeus]
    #1722882 - 07/16/03 09:58 PM (13 years, 4 months ago)

higher education ought to be government sponsored. it is requisite for democracy. so says adam smith.

--------------------
The ultimate meaning of our being can only be fulfilled in the paradoxical leap beyond the tragic-demonic frustration. It is a leap from our side, but it is the self-surrendering presence of the Ground of Being from the other side.
- Paul Tillich

Invisiblechodamunky
Cheers!

Loc: sailing the seas of chees...
Re: American Education= conspiracy? [Re: Malachi]
    #1722938 - 07/16/03 10:12 PM (13 years, 4 months ago)

Those mofo's at my university made me pay $15 for getting a signature of a "school official" on something I needed for my car insurance (I have this thing where if I get good grades I get a discount on my insurance). And it takes 5-7 business days to "process" it, fuck I was pissed, especially when the guy told me his boss (whom I demended to speak to) left work early.

OfflineKenny Bus
The enlightend

Loc: ontario
Re: American Education= conspiracy? [Re: Malachi]
    #1722950 - 07/16/03 10:17 PM (13 years, 4 months ago)

i think its a conspiracy to keep the free thinkers out of power. although i aced all the nation wide tests i was denied the gifted program for being to much of a trouble maker. all i did was question some of the hafl assed reasoning and excuses the teachers gave. then in highschool i got kicked out for setting a bad example, they said because i was skipping so much and still passing that other students think they can do it to and dont understand why they are falling. so instead of challenging me they sent me to some fucked up school where half the teachers didnt have a teaching liscense. so you have to understand why i'm leaning towards conspiracy. but honestly i think its just lazyness. to lazy to creat a program that identifies potential and adapts to challenge students. not once did i ever feel challenged in school, i'm not trying to brag, because now i'm fucked, i'm soon 19 and i have 8 highschool credits. i remember telling a teacher to just give me the test now, instead of a month later, instead of waisting my time with all this bullshit, and after arguing with her for a good 10 minuits i was sent to the office and told thats just the way it is. most of the "educators" dont care, thats just the way it is. so yea now i'm struggling to get a job for some yes man that i can outsmart in my sleep. poor me

--------------------
KB

Offlinerecalcitrant
My Own God

Loc: Canada West
Re: American Education= conspiracy? [Re: Azmodeus]
    #1723030 - 07/16/03 10:53 PM (13 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

Azmodeus said:
It would be like me working most of my life to buy a house, when i could go into the bush with a saw, and make a decent shelter in a month or two....let alone if i had nails and equipment...
Why pay for groceries, when you can grow them yourself?..or fish?..or hunt?

I get much more satisfaction researching whatever i want to know on the internet, and libraries, than going to college or university...its knowledge, not regurgitated crap i care nothing about other than to get a peice of paper. :tongue:

When am I going to learn that i dont need civilization? WHEN AM I GOING TO LEARN THAT I DONT WANT CIVILIZATION!

--------------------

We have to answer our own prayers

OfflinePDU
travel kid vs.amerika
 User Gallery

Loc: beautiful BC
    #1723253 - 07/17/03 12:06 AM (13 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

DoctorJ said:
I've seen some very unintelligent people get their deghrees and go on to high paying, important jobs, and I've also seen some very smart people get frustrated by the system and end up working at McDonalds.

Is this a conspiracy? Is the aim of the education system to promote obedient morons into positions of influence so they can be easily controlled? Or is it just a game of putting the most resources in the hands of the least intelligent to facilitate the process of consumerism?

Im the guy that got fed up, and left/was forced to leave public school (canada tho). My teachers and i would often have discussions while i didnt do their work and apperently my brilliance was a common topic in the staff room. I challenged acceptable norms and idea's, i thought critically and argued critically, i proved teachers wrong time and time again, and it threatened them. all of a sudden my spike collar was a weapon and i had to remove it or leave, (i even asked them why a collar was worth taking away a bright kids education, and got no answer, then replied that my fists or pens were much better weapons.) i wasnt allowed to attend half my class's because of it, and teachers were constantly fucking with me...so i left, and graduated through a storefront program. School definately caters the docile followers, to even stand up for a contraversial idea in public school will get you suspended...mostpeople dont stand their ground, because punishments are so stupid.

Oh, and a few months after i dropped out i had "memory testing" (i fell on my head) which involved extensive IQ testing, and i was 25+ points above high average.... Keep the smart do-er's down.

--------------------
GO OUTSIDE.

Offlinemonoamine
umask 077(nonefor you)

Loc: Jacksonville,FL
Re: American Education= conspiracy? [Re: PDU]
    #1723327 - 07/17/03 12:26 AM (13 years, 4 months ago)

They don't have time to teach you stuff in school.They're too busy enforcing the the dress code and worrying about the upcoming pep rally. (God forbid they spent a quarter of the money they do on the football team on our music program.)

I dropped out of highschool in 10th grade after the whole Columbine backlash (I do have a bonafide high school diploma though). I can still remember the last straw,we were reading the Crucible by Arthur Miller in English and I asked the teacher about Miller's hidden meaning about McCarthyism,and he didn't know what the fuck I was talking about. I figured it was time to go.

--------------------
People think that if you just say the word "hallucinations" it explains everything you want it to explain and eventually whatever it is you can't explain will just go away.It's just a word,it doesn't explain anything...
Douglas Adams

Offlinekief
Dr. Nuggz

Loc: east coast
Re: American Education= conspiracy? [Re: monoamine]
    #1723503 - 07/17/03 01:16 AM (13 years, 4 months ago)

you have to think wether American education system is set up to make kids intelligent or to continue this society...... i would agree with the latter least in my experience with public schools

--------------------
the mind is a terrilble thing to waste i show love causes it a terrible thing to hate.

OfflineDiscordja
Pope

Loc: Atlantic Canada
Re: American Education= conspiracy? [Re: kief]
    #1723854 - 07/17/03 03:44 AM (13 years, 4 months ago)

I just read an interestingly disturbing little something on this subject. Find it here

Or directly below...

The Educational System Was Designed to Keep Us Uneducated and Docile

It's no secret that the US educational system doesn't do a very good job. Like clockwork, studies show that America's schoolkids lag behind their peers in pretty much every industrialized nation. We hear shocking statistics about the percentage of high-school seniors who can't find the US on an unmarked map of the world or who don't know who Abraham Lincoln was.

Fingers are pointed at various aspects of the schooling system—overcrowded classrooms, lack of funding, teachers who can't pass competency exams in their fields, etc. But these are just secondary problems. Even if they were cleared up, schools would still suck. Why? Because they were designed to.

How can I make such a bold statement? How do I know why America's public school system was designed the way it was (age-segregated, six to eight 50-minute classes in a row announced by Pavlovian bells, emphasis on rote memorization, lorded over by unquestionable authority figures, etc.)? Because the men who designed, funded, and implemented America's formal educational system in the late 1800s and early 1900s wrote about what they were doing.

Almost all of these books, articles, and reports are out of print and hard to obtain. Luckily for us, John Taylor Gatto tracked them down. Gatto was voted the New York City Teacher of the Year three times and the New York State Teacher of the Year in 1991. But he became disillusioned with schools—the way they enforce conformity, the way they kill the natural creativity, inquisitiveness, and love of learning that every little child has at the beginning. So he began to dig into terra incognita, the roots of America's educational system.

In 1888, the Senate Committee on Education was getting jittery about the localized, non-standardized, non-mandatory form of education that was actually teaching children to read at advanced levels, to comprehend history, and, egads, to think for themselves. The committee's report stated, "We believe that education is one of the principal causes of discontent of late years manifesting itself among the laboring classes."

By the turn of the century, America's new educrats were pushing a new form of schooling with a new mission (and it wasn't to teach). The famous philosopher and educator John Dewey wrote in 1897:

Every teacher should realize he is a social servant set apart for the maintenance of the proper social order and the securing of the right social growth.

In his 1905 dissertation for Columbia Teachers College, Elwood Cubberly—the future Dean of Education at Stanford—wrote that schools should be factories "in which raw products, children, are to be shaped and formed into finished products...manufactured like nails, and the specifications for manufacturing will come from government and industry."

The next year, the Rockefeller Education Board—which funded the creation of numerous public schools—issued a statement which read in part:

In our dreams...people yield themselves with perfect docility to our molding hands. The present educational conventions [intellectual and character education] fade from our minds, and unhampered by tradition we work our own good will upon a grateful and responsive folk. We shall not try to make these people or any of their children into philosophers or men of learning or men of science. We have not to raise up from among them authors, educators, poets or men of letters. We shall not search for embryo great artists, painters, musicians, nor lawyers, doctors, preachers, politicians, statesmen, of whom we have ample supply. The task we set before ourselves is very simple...we will organize children...and teach them to do in a perfect way the things their fathers and mothers are doing in an imperfect way.

At the same time, William Torrey Harris, US Commissioner of Education from 1889 to 1906, wrote:

Ninety-nine [students] out of a hundred are automata, careful to walk in prescribed paths, careful to follow the prescribed custom. This is not an accident but the result of substantial education, which, scientifically defined, is the subsumption of the individual.

In that same book, The Philosophy of Education, Harris also revealed:

The great purpose of school can be realized better in dark, airless, ugly places.... It is to master the physical self, to transcend the beauty of nature. School should develop the power to withdraw from the external world.

Several years later, President Woodrow Wilson would echo these sentiments in a speech to businessmen:

We want one class to have a liberal education. We want another class, a very much larger class of necessity, to forego the privilege of a liberal education and fit themselves to perform specific difficult manual tasks.

Writes Gatto: "Another major architect of standardized testing, H.H. Goddard, said in his book Human Efficiency (1920) that government schooling was about 'the perfect organization of the hive.'"

While President of Harvard from 1933 to 1953, James Bryant Conant wrote that the change to a forced, rigid, potential-destroying educational system had been demanded by "certain industrialists and the innovative who were altering the nature of the industrial process."

In other words, the captains of industry and government explicitly wanted an educational system that would maintain social order by teaching us just enough to get by but not enough so that we could think for ourselves, question the sociopolitical order, or communicate articulately. We were to become good worker-drones, with a razor-thin slice of the population—mainly the children of the captains of industry and government—to rise to the level where they could continue running things.

This was the openly admitted blueprint for the public schooling system, a blueprint which remains unchanged to this day. Although the true reasons behind it aren't often publicly expressed, they're apparently still known within education circles. Clinical psychologist Bruce E. Levine wrote in 2001:

I once consulted with a teacher of an extremely bright eight-year-old boy labeled with oppositional defiant disorder. I suggested that perhaps the boy didn't have a disease, but was just bored. His teacher, a pleasant woman, agreed with me. However, she added, "They told us at the state conference that our job is to get them ready for the work world…that the children have to get used to not being stimulated all the time or they will lose their jobs in the real world."

--------------------
Remember, it's only true if it makes you laugh...

OfflineStrumpling
Neuronaut
Loc: Hyperspace
    #1723983 - 07/17/03 05:45 AM (13 years, 4 months ago)

hooray you're waking up! Good morning my friend..

I think the "education" we have experienced is made to prepare you for becoming a good employee in this corporate slave state.

It seems they also want to embed into our heads the idea that we are The Greatest Country, and that everybody wants to be like us; everybody will be like us soon, and the party will keep getting better.

I don't know how long this can go on..

--------------------
Insert an "I think" mentally in front of eveything I say that seems sketchy, because I certainly don't KNOW much. Also; feel free to yell at me.
In addition: SHPONGLE

InvisibleDoctorJ
Stranger

Re: American Education= conspiracy? [Re: Discordja]
    #1724776 - 07/17/03 02:52 PM (13 years, 4 months ago)

none of that surpirises me at all. its no shit that the public schools suck and have been designed to suck. but what about the people that succeed at the schools. what does that say about them? and why are they getting the highest paying jobs with the most responsibilities? I mean, I know some IDIOTS that have already finished college, and they did all the extracurricular crap they were supposed to, and now theyre out working jobs that pay from 50-100k a year!!!! WTF!?!?

--------------------

InvisibletrendalM
point of inflection
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Ontario, Canada
    #1724906 - 07/17/03 03:52 PM (13 years, 4 months ago)

Here's an article I found in a local mag. Sorry I can't post a source, I just typed this up myself  :smirk:

------------------
Bush's Education Plan: Learn to Kill, Not to Ask Why
Conspiracy or Manipulation? - Part 7
Upfront Magazine #56

By: Richard Rizok

Remember back in 2000, before George W. Bush bought the throne, there were actual election campaigns and issues, other than war, being discussed. One of the hottest topics of the Bush vs. Gore debates was the education and future of the "Average" American Child. "Rarely is the question asked: Is our children learning?" was Dubya's attempt to address this situation during a speech in Florence, South Carolina, on January 11th, 2000. Since his successful coup, Dubya had passed the Education Reform Bill entitled, "No Child Left Behind." It is based on four basic principles: "stronger accountability for results, increased felexibility and local control, expanded options for parents, and an emphasis on teaching methods that have been proven to work."

Secret Agenda To Recruit Future Soldiers
Upon further inspection of this Bill, a very peculiar clause becomes evident. Section 9528 stipulates that any school receiving Federal funding must provide, "on request by a military recruiter, access to the names, addresses, and telephone listings for secondary students. However, parents may request that such information not be released for their child without prior written parental consent. Schools must give military recruiters the same right of access to secondary students as they provide generally to post secondary institutions and prospective employers." Schools that refuse to comply with the military's new recruitment strategy may lose their Federal funding. The policy has been scrutinized since all branches of armed services say they met their recruitment goals of last year and have consistently done so for quite some time. However, this new policy gives the military access to those who cannot afford a post-secondary education and bribe them with scholarships once they have completed their tour of duty. Even more frightening is the military's access to the aggressive or even abusive students who never make it through the secondary school system. Instead of looking for solutions to help dropouts get their lives back on track, you can give them what they really want: a gun and the permission to use it.

Ethical Military Tactics
Once military recruiters have these vulnerable kids in their grasps they hold on tight. Although applicants do have the choice to change their minds, recruiters rarely allow this to take place. Former US Navy recruiter Lt. Carl Nyberg told Fox News in Atlanta, that recruiters lie to the applicants and tell them that they have already enlisted, "...to trick and intimidate the person into (enlisting). It's told to somebody who doesn't have access to a lawyer, or a strong family network. It's an intimidation and lying technique targeted to the most vulnerable applicants." It is no surprise that recruiters are evaluated solely on the number of applicants they successfuly manage to enlist.
    It is these most vulnerable applicants that enlist in the military in order to secure scholarship money through the Montgomery G.I. Bill. They are consciously using their military service to get a college education and increase their future standard of living. The G.I. Bill that promises up to "$30,000" for College tuition are, to say the least, very deceptive. Between 1985 and 1993, the G.I. Bill actually made $720 million for the Pentagon. It works like this. First, the recruit makes a $1,200 non-refundable contribution to the G.I. Bill then must attend college and not receive anything less than an Honorable Discharge from the military. In some cases, even those with Honorable Discharges are refused their scholarship moeny. The $30,000 figure is particularly deceiving as it uses both the maximum benefit amount available through the G.I. Bill and additional, yet separate, Army/Navy College Funds. Only recruits that take less desirable combat position have a chance at the $30,000 jackpot...assuming they survive war on the front lines. With the massive increase in tuition costs for most prestigious Colleges and Universities in the US, $30,000 barely seems to be worth the price of fighting in a war in Iraq that the majority of people around the world deem as, "Blood for Oil."

Hollywood Helps Uncle Sam
Back in the early 1980's, the Navy was faced with lagging recruitment numbers. It should come as to no surprise that they teamed up with Hollywood to glorify military carriers and boost enrollment. The earliest experiment happened in 1982 when the Navy erected huge recruitment booths in theatures to coincide with the release of "An Officer and a Gentleman". By 1986, this formula had been perfected and the recruiters had a hard time dealing with the number of applicants wanting to be the next Maverick or Goose after filing out of the movie Top Gun. Ask the family members of the four Canadian Troops killed by American pilots in the "friendly fire" incident last year in [Afghanistan], if encouraging and glorifying loose-cannon behavior among pilots is an ethical recruitment policy.
    The US military has expanded its recruitment campaigns to include all forms of media. It's nearly impossible to watch a sporting event these days without seeing a commecial for, "the few, the proud, the marines" that was directed by "civil rights" (whatever that means) activist Spike Lee. The Army now includes a Doom-style video game in their recruitment packages where kids can hunt down and kill terrorists (check it out at www.americasarmy.com). Children aren't even safe on the Internet, as Channel One (a news station that 40% of the US primary and secondary students are forced to watch everyday in the classroom) now has direct links to military enrollment websites. Producer Tony Scott (Top Gun, The Last Boy Scout, Enemy of the State) and his director brother Ridley (Black Hawk Down, Gladiator, G.I. Jane) have teamed up with CBS on a "Reality" TB series called American Fighter Pilot. It follows the lives of three students in an Air Force fighter pilot training school. It has been described as, "a military recruitment video as produced by MTV", and "Survivor with more flag waving and adrenaline." If this wasn't enough, producer Jerry Bruckweimer (Black Hawk Down, Con Air, Pearl Harbor) has teamed up with the producer of Cops, Bertram van Muster, on a "Reality" TV show for ABC called Central Command that follows troops around in Afghanistan. An ABC Entertainment executive was quoted in the New York Times as saying that "the Pentagon is eager to produce 'what Americans want to see' because they regard it as 'an Army recruiting film.'" CBS anchor Dan Rather brought up a relevant point when he said, "Somebody's got to question whether it's a good idea to limit independent reporting on the battlefield and access of journalists to U.S. military personnel and then conspire with Hollywood." However, Fred McKissack Jr., an editor of The Progressive may have put it best when he said, "Do you think Bruckheimer and van Muster are going to answer a lot of unwelcome questions of Central Command, such as 'Why did you 'accidentally' kill sixteen people in a group of compounds?' This is a worst-case scenario in the ever-chipping wall between news and entertainment. This is infotainment in its pure form: simple-minded and uncritical."

Cheap and Expendable
So lets say you join the US military straight out of high school, with no work experience, what can you expect to be paid? After four months in the military, a brand new recruit will be receiving about $26,896 per year in annual salary. If you were to take half of that amount and break it down to see how much an hour the new recruit would be paid for around the clock (they do get breaks but, then again, could be attacked at any time) over a siz month stay on the front line in Iraq, the recruit is getting paid roughly $0.67 per hour. The oil companies sure have found a cheap and efficient way to protect their investments.
    If you are the partiotic flag-waving parent of one of these new recruits entrenched in a desert battle in Iraq, what do you have to look forward to? Well, if Saddam Ussein uses chemical and biological as Dubya has repeatedly insisted he will, your 18 year old son or daughter may be unlucky enough to be wearing 1 of 250,000 defective chemical warfare suits that the Pentagon has mistakenly put into service, and can no longer account for. Don't expect the government to put up with another public relations backlash as they did when veterans from Operation Desert Storm openly complained to the media about Gulf War Syndrome. This time around, the Pentagon has authorized mass burials for US troops infected by chemical or biological agents. So Patriotic Parent, ask yourself this, will your child be left behind? 

--------------------
You're here because you know something.
What you know you can't explain,
But you feel it;
You've felt it your entire life.
That there's something wrong with the world.
You don't know what it is, but it's there....
Like a splinter in your mind...
Driving you mad.

Jump to top. Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

General Interest >> Political Discussion