Home | Community | Message Board

Please support our sponsors.

General Interest >> Philosophy, Sociology & Psychology

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Chill the FuckOut!
 User Gallery

Loc: mndfreeze's puppet army
Having trouble meditating
    #1721025 - 07/16/03 11:11 AM (13 years, 3 months ago)

I want to get into meditation, but I find that I have trouble sitting still and doing nothing for very long. Any advice on how to relax and stay centered?

"It is dangerous to be right when the government is wrong."--Voltaire

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
1up on the rest

Loc: Canada
Re: Having trouble meditating [Re: silversoul7]
    #1721133 - 07/16/03 11:51 AM (13 years, 3 months ago)

I have the same problem.. I can't sit up strait and relax.. I try laying down, but I either fall asleep or can't hush my mind for long enough.. it's a big pain.

No one knows the worth of innocence till he knows it is gone forever, and that money can't buy it back. Not the saint, but the sinner that repenteth, is he to whom the full length and breadth, and height and depth, of life's meaning is revealed. Good and evil loose all objective meaning and are seen as equally necessary and contrasting elements in the masterpiece that is the universe.

Clearly Retarded
 User Gallery

Loc: Construction ahead...
    #1721154 - 07/16/03 11:58 AM (13 years, 3 months ago)

like anything, it takes practice. if you're antsy and can't sit still for long, meditation would probably do you some good. you just have to work on your stamina. try it for short periods and then work your way up. time yourself, if you like, and set goals. after a few weeks you'll find you're able to tolerate nothing for longer periods of time

The only difference between the Republican and Democratic parties is the velocities with which their knees hit the floor when corporations knock on their door.
-Ralph Nader

Error: divide byzero

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Caribbean
Re: Having trouble meditating [Re: Albino_Jesus]
    #1721473 - 07/16/03 02:11 PM (13 years, 3 months ago)

The best advice I can give you is to find a group to sit (meditate) with.  It becomes much easier to meditate when you are with a group of people all doing the same thing.

If there are no groups in you area, the next best thing I can recommend is setting a schedule.  Sit for just a few minutes right after you wake up in the morning, and again for a few minutes right before you go to bed at night.  It is more important to get in the habit of sitting rather than the length or quality of the session.  Don't let yourself skip out, even if you only sit for thirty seconds.

To quiet your mind, start out by counting breaths.  When you get to ten, or when you lose count, or when you realize you are no longer counting, start over with one again.  Don't yell at yourself or get upset when you get distracted... instead just start to count again.

Don't give up!  :smile:

Just another spore in the wind.

It's the psychedelic movement!
Male User Gallery

Loc: High pride!
    #1722268 - 07/16/03 06:53 PM (13 years, 3 months ago)

This is the same thing that stopped me for a while, but check this out.

Sit there

Know that some "force" or "habit" is going to try and stop you from meditating

Be aware of your body and wait for it

Pretty soon whatever "force" that tries to distract you will show up

Concentrate on it, and take everything it can give you

Eventually that force will become powerless and then you can sit and wait for other "forces" and do the exact same.

Let me know if this works for you. It does for me.

Mp3 of the month: The Loose Enz - The Black Door

Arcade Champion: Frogger

Loc: space
Re: Having trouble meditating [Re: Learyfan]
    #1722813 - 07/16/03 09:39 PM (13 years, 3 months ago)

I was so frustrated when I started!!! Hang in there. Seek and ye shall find"... you're on the path, just keep walking it!

peace, pot, and microdot!

Loc: Around Minneapolis.
Re: Having trouble meditating [Re: DoctorJ]
    #1722826 - 07/16/03 09:42 PM (13 years, 3 months ago)

learn maintain yoga poses before trying to seriously meditate. you won't be comfortable unless you get more flexible. also put a thin pillow under your sit bones so that your knees touch the ground.

oh, and smoke the best reefer (or hash) you can get your hands on. that helps alot.

The ultimate meaning of our being can only be fulfilled in the paradoxical leap beyond the tragic-demonic frustration. It is a leap from our side, but it is the self-surrendering presence of the Ground of Being from the other side.
- Paul Tillich

T'was born oftrue in the yearof the cock!

Loc: a human-infested anthill
Re: Having trouble meditating [Re: Malachi]
    #1723844 - 07/17/03 03:39 AM (13 years, 3 months ago)

meditation can come in many forms, you dont have to do the traditional motionless meditation if it doesnt work for you. Do some martial arts, go skateboarding, get drunk, draw a picture, climb a mountain, have sex, fight someone, watch the sun set, read etc etc. Meditation is not bound by dogma, you can meditate however you want, you can experience thoughtlessness while in action, its all good.

im not a big fan of the traditional form of meditation myself, maybe my brain is too fried from the over-stimulation that is synonymous with consumer culture, whatevs, I'd rather do something constructive anyways than waste my precious time on this earth staring into darkness. maybe that will change when I get older, maybe Ill be dead tommorow, fuck it.

enjoy the entertaining indentity i have constructed for you while you can.

Just Starting toSee the Light

Re: Having trouble meditating [Re: atomikfunksoldier]
    #1724101 - 07/17/03 07:30 AM (13 years, 3 months ago)

Pent up energy in the body can distract your mindat first
Try excersizing for a few minutes to burn this energy off. Then sit and relax and breath. Skip finds doing Kung Fu forms helps, but you might like running, jumping jacks or what ever, good luck.

Be in truth and watch the magic happen.

User Gallery

Loc: happy land
    #1725926 - 07/17/03 09:40 PM (13 years, 3 months ago)

you might want to try to find a nice long cd of relaxing music. i prefer classical music and many of the cds put out by nonesuch. nonesuch is a record company, not a band.

Anno cock? is that some kind of Greek liqueur? -Geo's All Knowing Sex Slave

Re: Having trouble meditating [Re: eric_the_red]
    #1725988 - 07/17/03 09:59 PM (13 years, 3 months ago)

Being fat, my legs fall asleep in a full-lotus position so I sit Indian-style but maintain the rest of the traditional Seven-Point Posture that most schools of meditation teach.

If you find the full or half-lotus uncomfortable you can just sit on a chair, towards the tip of the chair and not all the way back on the back support, keeping the spine erect.  I would use the chair for longer sessions for my leg's sake.  It's all about being comfortable and secure in your perceptions.  Once you lear how to enter calm abiding, you can enter it easier the more you do it.  I love meditation...it's changed my life in so many positive ways.  Deeper than any psychedelic trip...that's for sure.  :smile:

Love & Light,

PS - I agree about sitting with other meditators.  It's reassuring to be around others doing the same thing simultaneously.  Plus having a teacher/guru who can relate to you and your own mind...he or she can then personalize your practice for you to be making the proper improvements/progression. 

Spiritual beinghaving a Humanexperience
Loc: This Planet Earth
Re: Having trouble meditating [Re: Boppity604]
    #1726279 - 07/17/03 11:11 PM (13 years, 3 months ago)

I'm a big guy myself. I find the full lotus rather difficult, I like the half-lotus. Also I'm real fidgety in general and my back tends to get tired after being erect for a while; I find that sitting on the floor in a half-lotus with my back against a couch or other comfortable, stationary object helps me to not get distracted by remembering not to hunch over and stuff.

There are things known, and there are things unknown, and in between are the doors - Morrison

Jump to top. Pages: 1

General Interest >> Philosophy, Sociology & Psychology