Home | Community | Message Board

Magic-Mushrooms-Shop.com
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   North Spore Bulk Substrate

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineStrife234
Stranger
Is it true?
    #1716713 - 07/14/03 10:56 PM (20 years, 8 months ago)

Is it true that farmers put stuff into the cow feed to make the shrooms where if you eat them they make you relly sick? Because I was wanting to go shroom hunting tomorrow for the first time and try 2-3g's tommorow night.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlineburt_peso
williepunch-a-bitch
Loc: slap-a-hoe tribe
Re: Is it true? [Re: Strife234]
    #1716748 - 07/14/03 11:04 PM (20 years, 8 months ago)

nah man its all bullshit just make sure you pick the right ones

and leave some for more production

--------------------
you remind me of something i stepped in and i dont like the smell of it.

OfflineToxicManM
Bite me, it's fun!
 User Gallery

Loc: Aurora, Colorado
Trusted Identifier
    #1716773 - 07/14/03 11:13 PM (20 years, 8 months ago)

That's a new one.

Usually it's "do the farmers put fungicides in the feed so that mushrooms won't grow".

If you think about it a moment, there aren't many things (if any) that you could put in to cow feed, have it pass through the cow (without making it sick), be excreted into their feces, have mushrooms grow in it and take it up (and not harm their growth) so that a human could then ingest the mushroom and be poisoned.

Even if there were such a substance, could you imagine a farmer actually spending money to do such a thing? The farmer gets no benefit from it.

If I were a farmer and such a thing were available, the only way I'd consider spending that money that way would be if I had major problems with people tramping through my fields and causing problems. If I did such a thing, I would also make sure I put up signs around the property to tell the tresspassers so that they would know why they got sick. Hopefully, word would get out that the signs were real and the tresspassing would stop.

One last thought - considering how lawsuit happy the US is right now, who would be stupid enough to risk a lawsuit if one of those people died of the poison?

Happy mushrooming!

--------------------
Happy mushrooming!

InvisibleGumby
Fishnologist
 User Gallery

Trusted Identifier
    #1716795 - 07/14/03 11:19 PM (20 years, 8 months ago)

Nope. Not true.

None of the following rumors are true:

- Salt licks make mushrooms stop growing.
- The government makes farmers feed their cows food with fungicide.
- Mushrooms grow *under* cow crap.
- Tapping the caps of mushrooms helps to distrubute spores.

Remember those are NOT true!

Edit: I updated it with tapping the caps.

Invisiblemjshroomer
Sage
Loc: gone with my shrooms
Re: Is it true? [Re: Gumby]
    #1717365 - 07/15/03 03:29 AM (20 years, 8 months ago)

However the farmers do spray their fields woith fertoilizers which improve the cattles weight and make them grow biugger. I have seen spray truckls at **** Meat packing plant go into the field near **** on west **** street in Eugene, Oregon and spray areddish chemical. However I picked ;liberty caps their for 6 years and never got sick off of them.

mj

No they do not spray fungicided intheir foods.

Edited by Gumby: Come on mj, WTF? Of all people, and with you being a mod, you should know by now not to give out specific locations. Bad mj! Bad! :wink:

Edited by GumbyDude (07/15/03 11:16 AM)

Anonymous

#1718006 - 07/15/03 11:48 AM (20 years, 8 months ago)

- Post History Deleted Upon User's Request -

OfflineRemy
Bitches Brew
 User Gallery

Loc: Atlanta, GA
Re: Is it true? [Re: ]
    #1718102 - 07/15/03 12:23 PM (20 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

Ok, but what about tapping caps? I heard that works. (wink) 

Hehehe, I have a friend who drove around tons of Atlanta area neighborhoods with a bag of freshly picked wiellii and blew the spores into each individual yards. This was in spite of my efforts to convince him, that if old man weilii had an desire to grow in those yards, we would have seen him, but hey, what can ya do  :wink: 

Anonymous

Re: Is it true? [Re: Remy]
    #1718277 - 07/15/03 01:26 PM (20 years, 8 months ago)

InvisibleGumby
Fishnologist
 User Gallery

Trusted Identifier
    #1718504 - 07/15/03 02:34 PM (20 years, 8 months ago)

I'm sure a few hundred spores fall on people's clothes and then get knocked off... but a few hundred spores is nothing at all compaired to the millions(billions?) produced by the mushrooms.

Invisiblemjshroomer
Sage
    #1718874 - 07/15/03 04:29 PM (20 years, 8 months ago)

Remy,
That really will not work on another lawn unless all of the right growing conditions are there for shrooms to grow, soil rich in humus and linguin, nitrates, phosphates, fertilizers etc. Out of billions and trillions of spores from a cap, only a few make it period. Usually when the caps have o;lpened, the majority f viable naturally occurring spores will grow. AS someone who has picked probabaly ove r a million mushrooms since 1972, I can honestly say that i have walk3ed on blocks of lawns her eint he pnw where P. stuntzii,s grow, crawling on my hands and knees and then walk on a lawn across the street and the shrooms only grew where they were being picked from and not from spores falling off of my shoes or my clothes.

And sorry Gumby Dude, shrooms do grow under cow pies as seen in these photos of an over turn cowpies in Hawaii of Copelandia cyanescens.

I have also turned over cubie cowpies and saw shrooms coming up. Alot of shrooms grow from manure which fewll on grass where there were sporeprints on the grass and the manure landed there and mycelia grew and shrooms fruited, the same as they can appear in a petri plate.

Here are a few of those images which I post every now and then when this particular subject comes up.

mj

I flipped these paddies to determine their age and found the mycelia and shrooms growing. I have seen this in hundreds of decompose piles of manure over the years, including P. cubies coming up and out of the edges of the cow pies from underneath.

Anonymous

#1718931 - 07/15/03 04:49 PM (20 years, 8 months ago)

Spores disperse by any means possible, this includes tapping the mushroom. To argue against this practice is a waste of time. Wind and rain are forms of DISTURBANCE, similar to knocking, and tapping, and carrying.

Spores have chemical and structural modifications just like seeds to make travel possible. So arguing against physically dispersing them into new habitats that MIGHT be favorable is also a waste of time.

Cattle farmers don't spray fungicides on grain, Grain farmers and grain handlers and grain storage facilities do. Residue is present. That's why there is a certification for ORGANIC PRODUCTS. Organic costs more, not less. It isn't impossible that residue can be excreted in the shit and prevent the growth of certain fungi. It depends on the sensitivity of the fungi, and the concentration of the residue. The government doesn't force farmers to use non-organic grain and feed, I agree with that.

Offlineblaze2
The Witness
Male

Loc: San Antonio, TX
    #1719767 - 07/15/03 11:02 PM (20 years, 8 months ago)

tapping doesnt work man get over yourself

--------------------
"Religion without science is blind, Science without religion is lame." Albert Einstein

"peace is not maintained through force it is acheived through intelligence." Albert Einstein

"Those who desire to give up Freedom in order to gain Security, will not have, nor do they deserve, either one."
Thomas Jefferson

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." --Thomas Jefferson

Invisiblemjshroomer
Sage
Re: Is it true? [Re: blaze2]
    #1720047 - 07/16/03 12:33 AM (20 years, 8 months ago)

YES TAPPING MAKES SPORES DROP BUT THEN DROPPING SPORES DOES NOT EQUAL-= GERMINATION.

MJ

OfflineAnnoA
Experimenter
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: my room
Trusted Identifier
    #1720341 - 07/16/03 02:11 AM (20 years, 8 months ago)

>Spores disperse by any means possible, this includes tapping the
>mushroom. To argue against this practice is a waste of time.

The few spores that fall off the mushroom in the moment you tap it is infinitesimally small compared to the amount of spores that naturally fall from the gills during a time of hours or days when the cap opens.

So tapping, while it works, is really futile.

Invisible@cro
new name
 User Gallery

Loc: The PNW
Re: Is it true? [Re: Anno]
    #1720442 - 07/16/03 02:53 AM (20 years, 8 months ago)

Fully agreed. Tapping, while I've never practiced it, just seems incapable of doing anything worthwhile. What I have done is used spore prints from these to make dilute solutions in a spray bottle and sprayed this in ideal areas with low traffic and even this only works a bit under half the time but still worthwhile since I usually walk by these areas anyways. This probably wouldn't work too well with cubes, since you can't really spray every patty and hope for the best but for the habitat of things up here it works well enough.
-@cro

--------------------

OfflinePaid
Pict
 User Gallery

Loc: Zone ate
Re: Is it true? [Re: @cro]
    #1720585 - 07/16/03 04:10 AM (20 years, 8 months ago)

I walked over 2 fields in spring and sprayed every pattie i saw lol :-)
Every little helps imo.

--------------------

Anonymous

#1720843 - 07/16/03 07:30 AM (20 years, 8 months ago)

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   North Spore Bulk Substrate