Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale, Red Vein Kratom   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
OfflineAlan RockefellerM
Mycologist
Male User Gallery
Yale scientists explain how ketamine vanquishes depression within hours * 4
    #17197315 - 11/10/12 07:40 PM (11 years, 4 months ago)

http://news.yale.edu/2012/10/04/yale-scientists-explain-how-ketamine-vanquishes-depression-within-hours

Many chronically depressed and treatment-resistant patients experience immediate relief from symptoms after taking small amounts of the drug ketamine. For a decade, scientists have been trying to explain the observation first made at Yale University.

Today, current evidence suggests that the pediatric anesthetic helps regenerate synaptic connections between brain cells damaged by stress and depression, according to a review of scientific research written by Yale School of Medicine researchers and published in the Oct. 5 issue of the journal Science.

Ketamine works on an entirely different type of neurotransmitter system than current antidepressants, which can take months to improve symptoms of depression and do not work at all for one out of every three patients.  Understanding how ketamine works in the brain could lead to the development of an entirely new class of antidepressants, offering relief for tens of millions of people suffering from chronic depression.

“The rapid therapeutic response of ketamine in treatment-resistant patients is the biggest breakthrough in depression research in a half century,” said Ronald Duman, the Elizabeth Mears and House Jameson Professor of Psychiatry and Professor of Neurobiology.

Duman and George K. Aghajanian, also professor of psychiatry at Yale, are co-authors of the review.

Understanding how ketamine works is crucial because of the drug’s limitations. The improvement in symptoms, which are evident just hours after ketamine is administered, lasts only a week to 10 days.  In large doses, ketamine can cause short-term symptoms of psychosis and is abused as the party drug “Special K.”

In their research, Duman and others show that in a series of steps ketamine triggers release of neurotransmitter glutamate, which in turn stimulates growth of synapses.  Research at Yale has shown that damage of these synaptic connections caused by chronic stress is rapidly reversed by a single dose of ketamine.

The original link between ketamine and relief of depression was made at the Connecticut Mental Health Center in New Haven by John Krystal, chair of the department of psychiatry at Yale, and Dennis Charney, now dean of Mt. Sinai School of Medicine, who helped launch clinical trials of ketamine while at the National Institute of Mental Health.

Efforts to develop drugs that replicate the effects of ketamine have produced some promising results, but they do not act as quickly as ketamine.  Researchers are investigating alternatives they hope can duplicate the efficacy and rapid response of ketamine.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineOH1Ogrown
Student
Male User Gallery

Loc: Treasure Coast
Re: Yale scientists explain how ketamine vanquishes depression within hours [Re: Alan Rockefeller]
    #17197666 - 11/10/12 08:46 PM (11 years, 4 months ago)

Why not use a program of drugs, starting with fast acting ketamine mixed with the drug "like" ketamine, then slowly up the other substance while simultaneously lowering the ketamine content until you have a "working level" of the manufactured drug?
I know big pharma isn't browsing shroomery articles for advice, ijs.

Or... we could just let them be depressed with no choice but ineffective antidepressents... We all know they're going to do whatever keeps the big bucks rolling in.

--------------------

InvisibleDickhead
2 Times
Female User Gallery
Loc: groin
Re: Yale scientists explain how ketamine vanquishes depression within hours [Re: Alan Rockefeller] * 1
    #17198028 - 11/10/12 09:56 PM (11 years, 4 months ago)

This Just in:  Drugs get you high.

--------------------
Multiplied

Offlinegratefulskinny
light warrior
 User Gallery

Re: Yale scientists explain how ketamine vanquishes depression within hours [Re: Dickhead]
    #17198049 - 11/10/12 09:59 PM (11 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

Awebig said:

exactly what i was thinkin....
a majority of humans are unhappy. everyone likes to get high. hmmm strange correlation or obvious fact? let us get high legally damnit

OfflineAlan RockefellerM
Mycologist
Male User Gallery
Re: Yale scientists explain how ketamine vanquishes depression within hours [Re: Dickhead]
    #17198201 - 11/10/12 10:31 PM (11 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

Awebig said:

The interesting thing about this though is that when the drugs wear off, depression often goes away for several months.

Offlineakira_akuma
Φύσις κρύπτεσθαι ὕψιστος φιλεῖ

Loc: Onypeirophóros
Re: Yale scientists explain how ketamine vanquishes depression within hours [Re: Alan Rockefeller]
    #17198419 - 11/10/12 11:25 PM (11 years, 4 months ago)

yeah, how can it have repaired "stress related damage" of nerve strands, and then have it's effect reversed?

weird.

oh well, anyway... it's not a breakthrough... it's an "about fucking time".

Invisiblecez
 User Gallery

#17198420 - 11/10/12 11:26 PM (11 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

Alan Rockefeller said:
Quote:

Awebig said:

The interesting thing about this though is that when the drugs wear off, depression often goes away for several months.

you sure bout that? :notsureif:

InvisibleDickhead
2 Times
Female User Gallery
Loc: groin
Re: Yale scientists explain how ketamine vanquishes depression within hours [Re: Alan Rockefeller] * 1
    #17198892 - 11/11/12 01:30 AM (11 years, 4 months ago)

I was being facetious. 

In fact, joking aside, I was surprised by this power first hand and have been chronicling my thoughts and experiences, hoping to share one day.

Though not with Ketamine, but DXM...  a relative dissociative, has provided for me the ability to resolve the suffering caused by extreme and persistent existential delema. 

The relief is absolutely profound, considering the depth and persistence of my anguish.  I do not believe dissociatives cure 'depression'  short, or long term.  My belief is that it provides opportunity to resolve and accept the realities of my existence without the primal panic reaction that works so hard to keep us safe from our own minds. 

We've all feared death...  some of us choose to face it.  I did.  Then, the terror of immortality sunk in WAY WAY deeper, with a whole schlew of new and more difficult realizations.  Personally, I was crippled....  all day every day.  Worse still, is that you can't really reach out to anyone;  most have no clue about any of it; those who do understand can't handle it themselves, in medicine it is not even recognized as a condition.  You really are alone with it. 

I used DXM thinking I would "trip" or "hallucinate".  Instead, I began to notice I was reflecting on personal matters that normally would bring difficult feelings of many sorts.  The difference was, I was able to calmly and effectively deal with my thoughts.  One night, on a moderate dose walking around I was hit with that old truth of life and death, mortality and immortality.  Normally, I panic and by reflex, run from those thoughts, my mind screaming"No, no, no.  Please, no.. IGNORE THE truth!  Just ignore it, NOW!".  That night instead I had a wave of reason and calm,  As if I was reading all this in a book, not living the anguish first hand.  I now comprehend my delema.  I know it will be with me all my life(existence). The gift is that I can traverse the 'symptoms'  and lead a somewhat normal life.  Dissociatives are the sole reason I've finally been able to free myself.... and yes, it is a long lasting effect.

The danger of alienating yourself from normal"people" is a risk.  Knowing the bottom line of existance cuts you off anyhow.  I really really really do not recommend anyone use dissociatives if you do not suffer 'existential delema" type of situation.  I am near certain it could cause the condition as well as it cures.   

An allure to sit in void for all eternity does exist.

--------------------
Multiplied

Offlineakira_akuma
Φύσις κρύπτεσθαι ὕψιστος φιλεῖ

Loc: Onypeirophóros
    #17198908 - 11/11/12 01:38 AM (11 years, 4 months ago)

insightful post, man.

OfflineAlan RockefellerM
Mycologist
Male User Gallery
Re: Yale scientists explain how ketamine vanquishes depression within hours [Re: cez]
    #17200129 - 11/11/12 09:11 AM (11 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

cez said:
you sure bout that?

I should have googled before I posted that - According to this article, a dose of ketamine is effective against depression for 7 - 10 days.

InvisibleGreeNmOld
Stranger

#17200452 - 11/11/12 10:41 AM (11 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

Awebig said:
I was being facetious. 

In fact, joking aside, I was surprised by this power first hand and have been chronicling my thoughts and experiences, hoping to share one day.

Though not with Ketamine, but DXM...  a relative dissociative, has provided for me the ability to resolve the suffering caused by extreme and persistent existential delema. 

The relief is absolutely profound, considering the depth and persistence of my anguish.  I do not believe dissociatives cure 'depression'  short, or long term.  My belief is that it provides opportunity to resolve and accept the realities of my existence without the primal panic reaction that works so hard to keep us safe from our own minds. 

We've all feared death...  some of us choose to face it.  I did.  Then, the terror of immortality sunk in WAY WAY deeper, with a whole schlew of new and more difficult realizations.  Personally, I was crippled....  all day every day.  Worse still, is that you can't really reach out to anyone;  most have no clue about any of it; those who do understand can't handle it themselves, in medicine it is not even recognized as a condition.  You really are alone with it. 

I used DXM thinking I would "trip" or "hallucinate".  Instead, I began to notice I was reflecting on personal matters that normally would bring difficult feelings of many sorts.  The difference was, I was able to calmly and effectively deal with my thoughts.  One night, on a moderate dose walking around I was hit with that old truth of life and death, mortality and immortality.  Normally, I panic and by reflex, run from those thoughts, my mind screaming"No, no, no.  Please, no.. IGNORE THE truth!  Just ignore it, NOW!".  That night instead I had a wave of reason and calm,  As if I was reading all this in a book, not living the anguish first hand.  I now comprehend my delema.  I know it will be with me all my life(existence). The gift is that I can traverse the 'symptoms'  and lead a somewhat normal life.  Dissociatives are the sole reason I've finally been able to free myself.... and yes, it is a long lasting effect.

The danger of alienating yourself from normal"people" is a risk.  Knowing the bottom line of existance cuts you off anyhow.  I really really really do not recommend anyone use dissociatives if you do not suffer 'existential delema" type of situation.  I am near certain it could cause the condition as well as it cures.   

An allure to sit in void for all eternity does exist.

:thumbup:

well said!!

anti-depressants can relieve the symptoms of depression, but do not address the psychological component that's often far more persistent.

most psychological approaches, particularly CBT, focus on changing the depressed individuals view of themselves and their condition. people can come to see the old self as depressed but not the current self.

dmt can have the same effect for those that are open to the experience.

anti-depressants are just cheaper than a well trained psychologist. that said the most effective treatment, for chronic depression, currently is a combination of anti-depressants and a trained psychologist.

But, ya dmt and other hallucinogens are NOT for everyone. read up extensively before even thinking about actually taken in them.

--------------------
Clutch!!!!

Neil Fallon, LEGEND

Edited by GreeNmOld (11/11/12 10:44 AM)

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale, Red Vein Kratom   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder