Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Offlineganjfather
uncle randy
Male User Gallery

Loc: Flag
What washington's legalization really means
    #17193170 - 11/09/12 09:54 PM (11 years, 5 months ago)

Here is your "legalization"
http://www.examiner.com/article/what-no-one-is-telling-you-about-washington-s-marijuana-legalization

Quote:

Washington state made history this Tuesday by passing Initiative I-502, becoming the first state in the nation, along with Colorado, to legalize recreational use of marijuana for adults 21 and over.

The web is flooded with celebration and images of foggy Seattle streets portrayed as some sort of marijuana Valhalla, but the real fog seems to be surrounding what Washington's "legalization" actually entails.

First, don't light up just yet. The Initiative does not take effect until Dec, 6. Even then marijuana can not be legally purchased until the state chooses who can legally produce and sell it, a process that could take up to a year, and your neighborhood pot dealer will unlikely be chosen. Users will only be permitted to possess up to one ounce of dried marijuana and possessing just 50% more than the “legal” amount will land you with a felony charge that holds a jail sentence of up to 5 years in prison. Don't expect to be smoking anywhere other then a private residence either because smoking in public is still illegal. In fact a Manette resident has already been arrested after police were called to a local park where the man said that after Tuesday's election, pot is legal. "We saw it on the news," he told the officer.

Even more so, growing, processing, and selling will be controlled by the Washington State Liquor Control Board with a 75 percent tax not including the 10 percent sales tax. The Liquor Control Board will also be in charge of regulating how much THC can be present in the marijuana sold and where and how many distributors will be allowed to open. Ordinary citizens will not be permitted to grow marijuana themselves either. Even more surprising, simply passing a joint from one person to another will still be a class C felony. Growing hemp still remains relatively unchanged as well.

One of the worst parts is the DUID (driving under the influence of drugs) provision and the zero tolerance clause for those under the age of 21 despite that people under 21 can legally possess medical marijuana. Medical marijuana patients and recreational users can now be charged with DUID for being above the designated 5 ng (nano-gram) / ml (milliliter) THC blood content limit (or a ZERO tolerance 0 ng/ml limit for those under 21) which means users will be instantly guilty of a DUID and will have their constitutional right to a fair trial revoked if they refuse a police blood draw. Under previous laws the system required law enforcement to prove impairment in court for a guilty verdict to occur.

This blood limit is not supported by any legitimate science either. The U.S. Department of Transportation concluded that “it is not possible to conclude anything about a drivers impairment on the basis of his/her plasma concentrations.” Other government studies from the National Library of Medicine have gone to show this 5 ng amount can be present in your blood days after using marijuana making arrest for being completely sober while driving a large possibility.

More worrisome is that when Nevada passed a similar DUID law, DUID arrests jumped 76 percent statewide. Several Seattle lawyers have issued their concern over the likely increase in arrests.

Despite marijuana legalization, it is still illegal on the federal level. Despite Obama's claim that he was "not going to be using Justice Department resources to try to circumvent state laws [on medical marijuana]," the Obama administration has carried out more federal raids on medical marijuana facilities then Bush did in 8 years. The Obama Justice Department has already said that the federal law remains the same and they will decide what happens next, not Washington.

Some argue if this bill is a step forward or back but most marijuana advocates feel that despite the downfalls this is a step in the right direction. The bill does have positives that have already taken effect, such as the 220 misdemeanor possession cases that have been dropped in Pierce and King county. The problem is the media is completely silent on the negatives, especially the DUID provision. One thing is certain though, the public is not being informed that Washington's marijuana legalization could be a state power grab in sheep's clothing. Talk of new initiatives to make the law more suitable are already being discussed.

For more information visit No on I-502 and read the bill for yourself.

--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleSlashOZ
:D
Male

Loc: Following the water cycle
Re: What washington's legalization really means [Re: ganjfather]
    #17193207 - 11/09/12 10:05 PM (11 years, 5 months ago)

Just gotta ask. Who here has been pulled over for driving under the influence while only on THC/weed? Seriously? I've been pulled over while drunk but NEVER while high. I mean, the ratio of driving high to drunk for me is like 200:1 high:drunk. Its not even close. I doubt the state of washington has the funds to require blood draws on everyone they pull over for driving poorly.

*edit* although, i gotta agree that the driving laws around mj in WA are going to be absolutely fucked now. however, i must reiterate that I don't think it will affect ticketing or arrests. too cost prohibitive and too tenuous to enforce. how often will officers be willing to draw blood for a driving infraction? that is seriously fucked up.

--------------------
"Life sucks but in this really beautiful way" - Axl Rose
"Life's a bitch and then you die that's why we get high cuz you never know when you're gonna go." - NAS
"When people don't know what you're about they put you down and shut you out" - Black Sabbath
"An eye for an eye makes the whole world blind" - Gandhi
"Look up at me I am God, look down on me and I am evil, look at me I am you." - Charles Manson.
"Don't question my reality." - Me (as far as I know)

Edited by SlashOZ (11/09/12 10:14 PM)

Invisiblekr0nik0
Ole' Salty
Male User Gallery

Loc: Western Slope, CO Flag
Re: What washington's legalization really means [Re: SlashOZ]
    #17193244 - 11/09/12 10:17 PM (11 years, 5 months ago)

Regardless of all the legal hoopla people in CO and WA are going to have to go through over the course of drafting a proposal to legally distribute marijuana. State law does depict you can RIGHT NOW have up to 6 plants in your house, and up to an ounce of buds in your possession.
Slow progression, but still progression.

--------------------

“[...]the only people for me are the mad ones,
the ones who are mad to live, mad to talk,
mad to be saved,
desirous of everything at the same time, the ones who never yawn or say a commonplace thing, but burn, burn, burn like fabulous yellow roman candles exploding like spiders across the stars and in the middle you see the blue centerlight pop and everybody goes “Awww!”

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds