Home | Community | Message Board

Avalon Magic Plants
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Left Coast Kratom Kratom Powder For Sale   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
Invisibleiglou
enthusiast
cool places to live?
    #1711483 - 07/13/03 01:14 PM (20 years, 9 months ago)

I need to get out of the city. Too many cars, too many parking lots, not enough privacy or trees.

I need silence & I need to see the stars at night.

I'm looking for an area (outside or in the US) that is:

- pot friendly
- plenty of natural flora/fauna
- mountains and/or beaches
- small population but yet community
- some sort of corporate/statist resistence
- inexpensive cost of living

I have had recommendations for the Pacific Northwest. Any suggestions?

What about Canada?

Thanks for all your help.

peace

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlinetoned3f
Comfortably Numb
Loc: NY, Amerika
Re: cool places to live? [Re: iglou]
    #1711486 - 07/13/03 01:16 PM (20 years, 9 months ago)

South-Western Canada should meet your needs perfectly :smile:

And everyone knows B.C. has the best bud on this side of the Atlantic anyway.

Invisibleslppe
the eye

Loc: tripped out
    #1711529 - 07/13/03 01:32 PM (20 years, 9 months ago)

You could move to the Greater Vancouver area on Canada's west coast, it pretty much has all the things youre looking for. The only one it doesnt have is inexpensive living, we have some of the highest housing and living costs in the whole country. Anywhere on the west coast is expensive, if you go north or into the interior of B.C things get alot cheaper

OfflineRemut
Green Thumb
Re: cool places to live? [Re: slppe]
    #1711600 - 07/13/03 02:07 PM (20 years, 9 months ago)

Well try the east cost in Nova Scotia for a 2 person apt is like 400 a month light and heat.

But i never had a problem being called a hick i love where i live. My neighbor lives about around me i hardly never talk to them one grows pot one i never see. But if you want to really get away about 40 minuets up the road, houses are like 1/2 mile apart lost of green farms and trees so far you cant see the end.

But i going to collage soon Horticulture/nursery program up in kentville its like one main street with all the shops and mall in it but leave the main road and you will be walking to the woods.
As for beaches theres some around here but very few ppl go to them unless the topless beach is open. If in Nova Scotia your never more than 50 miles away from the ocean.

Few thing i don't like the short growing season. Here it zone 5 And the US/CAN money rate sucks.

--------------------
DO what I Would

InvisibleCracka_X
Spiritual Dirt Worshipper
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Swamp
    #1711710 - 07/13/03 02:58 PM (20 years, 9 months ago)

Jacksonville, FL

--------------------
The best way to live
is to be like water
For water benefits all things
and goes against none of them
It provides for all people
and even cleanses those places
a man is loath to go
In this way it is just like Tao        ~Daodejing

OfflineJohnnyR
mi cixelsyd

Loc: a hot place
Re: cool places to live? [Re: Cracka_X]
    #1711724 - 07/13/03 03:07 PM (20 years, 9 months ago)

ud love Flagstaff, AZ...  no polution... it smells sooo fuckin good up here dude....  pines everywhere... no crackheads or anything...  but the trafic can get somewhat bad because the streets are so small and everybodies stoned  :rasta:.....  awesome weather....  awesome people...  i love it up there...

--------------------
-----------------------------------------

OfflineCherk
Fashionable
Male User Gallery

Loc: International Flag
Re: cool places to live? [Re: JohnnyR]
    #1712093 - 07/13/03 05:30 PM (20 years, 9 months ago)

It's like 115 in Arizona! You like that?!

--------------------
I have considered such matters.

SIKE

OfflineJohnnyR
mi cixelsyd

Loc: a hot place
Re: cool places to live? [Re: Cherk]
    #1712185 - 07/13/03 06:06 PM (20 years, 9 months ago)

actually yes..... ive been born with it... so its nothing unusual...

--------------------
-----------------------------------------

Offlinebarefootfiddler
trippin hippie

Loc: Califuckinfornia
Re: cool places to live? [Re: Cherk]
    #1712197 - 07/13/03 06:12 PM (20 years, 9 months ago)

Flagstaff does not get to 115 degrees. Thats Phoenix, and Phoenix is EVIL in so many ways I don't want to get started. Flagstaff is up at about 7000' elevation, gets snowy and cold in the winter, really nice in the summer. College town, so pretty laid back. Plenty outdoor activities.
Two other cool towns right nearby - Sedonna and Prescott. I lived in Prescott for about 5 years. Small, out of the way...

OfflineTurd
Dr. Rock

Loc: Vulva, WA
Re: cool places to live? [Re: barefootfiddler]
    #1712780 - 07/13/03 09:38 PM (20 years, 9 months ago)

the pacific NW is the best.... I recommend the town of Port Townsend. That's where I grew up... the whole town united about a year ago to fight off a Rite Aid store, and won. Population is around ~7000, it's right on the water.... and it's totally beautiful. No extreme temps either.... in the winter it rarely dips below 25 degrees (farenheit), and that's in the extreme case. Usually it's around 40 during the winter, and the summers are clear skies with ~70 degree temps the whole time...

OfflinePDU
travel kid vs.amerika
 User Gallery

Loc: beautiful BC
    #1713451 - 07/14/03 03:08 AM (20 years, 9 months ago)

The kootneys or the island of BC.

--------------------
GO OUTSIDE.

Offlineenotake2
Stop Bush's war
 User Gallery

Loc: Comfy chair in my lounger...
    #1713518 - 07/14/03 04:51 AM (20 years, 9 months ago)

South coast of NSW Australia about an hour south of Sydney. In between mountains and sea . Hence flora/fauna not too far away - bushwalking in rainforrest area a five minute drive. Swimming weather between November and March. Smallish population. Lots of hippies. Parliament seat is held by the Greens. Best beaches - one of them won the cleanest beach award for NSW. Real friendly. Lots of pot around in the Wollongong area -it's know for it. My favourite place to live.

See a pic here
www.illawarratourism.com.au/ education/greens.htm

--------------------
Computer games don't affect kids. I mean if Pacman affected our generation as kids, we'd all be running around in a darkened room, munching pills and listening to repetitive electronic music.

"Being bitter and hateful is like drinking a vial of poison and hoping the other person gets sick" FreakQLibrium

"My motto from here on out is: If someone or something (including me) in my life is conducting themselves in such a way that they can be seen on Jerry Springer, it's time to take out the garbage!!! When you stop taking their behaviour personally and see their antics as a true reflection on their character, it becomes absolutely nauseating." Anon. on abusive relationships.

Edited by enotake2 (07/14/03 05:01 AM)

OfflineTheHobbit
Pot Head Pixie

Loc: the Oily Way...
Re: cool places to live? [Re: enotake2]
    #1714100 - 07/14/03 12:14 PM (20 years, 9 months ago)

I always thought Australia would be great...a friend is moving to Vancouver soon, he says it's pretty awesome, a couple he knows out there can watch seals out of the kitchen window, and of course ity's even more liberal there than it is here :smile:

InvisibleWhite_Widow
Lost fairy

Loc: Sweet Old Europe
Re: cool places to live? [Re: TheHobbit]
    #1714145 - 07/14/03 12:37 PM (20 years, 9 months ago)

I've been pondering the same things lately... and a few ideas came round&round.

Northern America: South-Eastern Canada, wonderful scenarios and a good travel point to Europe and America.

Pacifica Area: Hawaii, if you're looking for 12 months a year summer/tropical spring. Australia (Perth or Sidney): two faces of the many Auzzyland has got. Wonderful nature and all the space you wish, maybe even far more than you really do.

Northern Europe: Southern Holland/Western Belgium. No need to talk about the pot laws there. Rich and healthy countries with lots of green and bio-diversity. One of the most beautiful and misknown part of Europe. Easy traveling to all the world: best airports of Europe with Germans and English ones. People is nice and if you're looking for a life on your own... you can even get it, but with the surplus of having funny and noisy places in reach wherever you are. Country life is beautiful.

Western Europe: Spain (Barcelona!!! That's it!!! If you don't know it you are missing a bit of heaven), Maiorca or Minorca (wonderful islands and incredible sea), and Canary Islands for sure: that's so DiFeReNt...!

Switzerland... maybe... if they end with those rubbish about changing their minds every two weeks.

--------------------
"Love is the law; love under will..."

OfflinePDU
travel kid vs.amerika
 User Gallery

Loc: beautiful BC
Re: cool places to live? [Re: White_Widow]
    #1714251 - 07/14/03 01:02 PM (20 years, 9 months ago)

From the sounds of the first post...i would strongly suggest looking into the kootney's, especially the Nelson area. Beautiful old growth forest, literally marijuana communities, very liberal and artsy, and happy, Cheap living...Close enough to everything important. great communities. Lots of Hippie's...

I even read a letter from a retired nelson police chief who said he overlooked all the marijuana in the community and talked about how it does nothing but positive things within the community.

It really is a great place. Iglou, im looking for all the same things you are...and thats where im headed ASAP.

--------------------
GO OUTSIDE.

OfflineEthanEdwards
In which Dorisgets her oats

Re: cool places to live? [Re: PDU]
    #1716240 - 07/14/03 09:18 PM (20 years, 9 months ago)

savannah, georgia

--------------------
Everybody must give something back for something they got.- Bob Dylan

InvisibleLittle Shroom
Resident Faerie
Female

Loc: Toronto, Canada
Re: cool places to live? [Re: EthanEdwards]
    #1716260 - 07/14/03 09:21 PM (20 years, 9 months ago)

Well, I was going to say Toronto, but then I saw that you wanted to move OUT of the city...

InvisibleJared
Stranger
Folding@home Statistics
    #1719171 - 07/15/03 06:11 PM (20 years, 9 months ago)

-The cops here don't give a fuck about weed, so long as you're quiet and not causing any trouble.. you're aok with them :wink:

-Tons of flowers here, both native and planted... everyone gardens, and the summers are always full of color! :smile:

-Dozens of mountains around here, Lots of ski hills within 15 minutes of here in the winter.. lots of hiking trails for the summer and fall. Tons of lakes, too.. Actually the whole town is built around a swimming friendly lake which is excellent for canoeing, kayaking, and seadooing :cool: Theres two good beaches, one for fishing and one for swimming. There are tons of areas of protected forest all around the lake too, so it will never be overcrowded.

-Population of about 5,000 but theres tons of community, everyone knows everyone and there are activities always happening at the park, or the community center. Lots of programs and sports in the gyms at the elementry schools. A volounteer run recycling program.. If anywhere is community-aware.. this place is :smile:

-There are literally laws against franchises. Neon signs are banned, flashy signs are banned. Pretty much all the signs are carved wood, or cast iron.. Everything needs to be approved by the town board of directors..  No buildings over 2 stories are permitted... everyone wants our little town to stay that way :wink:

-The cost of living isn't any more expensive than other towns in regards to daily living.. But property taxes are more, rent is more.. It takes money to keep the town as good as it is, you pay for what you get... but its not enough difference to make it not worth it :smile:

I've lived here most of my life, and I really love it. I couldn't imagine a better place to grow up. :smile:

InvisibleJared
Stranger
Folding@home Statistics
Re: cool places to live? [Re: Jared]
    #1719182 - 07/15/03 06:14 PM (20 years, 9 months ago)

Oh, there is one big catch that will make you write my town off pretty quick... =P It's situated in the Eastern Townships of Quebec. Even though the town is about 85% english, you still need to know french.

And its in Quebec. =\

InvisibleAhab McBathsalts
OTD Windmill Administrator
Other User Gallery Ultimate Champion: Blackjack

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Wind Turbine, AB
Re: cool places to live? [Re: Jared]
    #1719303 - 07/15/03 08:18 PM (20 years, 9 months ago)

The interior of BC. Peachland, ossyos, vernon, kelowna. All really nice places to live

--------------------
"Nobody exists on purpose. Nobody belongs anywhere. Everybody's going to die."

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Left Coast Kratom Kratom Powder For Sale   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom