Home | Community | Message Board

Original Seeds Store
Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Left Coast Kratom Kratom Powder For Sale

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinepoponon
Quaaaack!!!
Male User Gallery

Loc: Canada
Best / cheapest blender for breaking up drywall / coir husk
    #17190773 - 11/09/12 10:40 PM (10 years, 2 months ago)

Lately I have broken many a blender/coffee grinder/etc grinding and breaking up drywall and coir. I have used the bag method for breaking up drywall. It's very tedious and time consuming when working with large volumes of substrate.

I have figured that I should just bite the bullet and buy a more expensive blender with a metal attaching piece that wont melt when grinding up coir and drywall. I was wondering if anyone had experience with purchasing blenders for similar purposes and could help set me in the right direction for buying one. or maybe there is another tool that would be better for the job?

--------------------
:smile: Y e e t!! :smile:

My Trade List

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlinetwistedty
Forcefully Retired
Male User Gallery

Loc: Middle
Re: Best / cheapest blender for breaking up drywall / coir husk [Re: poponon]
    #17190792 - 11/09/12 10:43 PM (10 years, 2 months ago)

why not buy a 40lb bag of gypsum for under 10 bux, and why do you need to break up your coir?

Offlinesteelmonkey
Homejigger
Male

Loc: Nova Scotia,Canada Flag
    #17190803 - 11/09/12 10:44 PM (10 years, 2 months ago)

Can you not get bagged gypsum pellets at a garden centre where you're at?

--------------------

InvisibleGotlib
Male

Loc: Flag
Re: Best / cheapest blender for breaking up drywall / coir husk [Re: steelmonkey]
    #17190859 - 11/09/12 10:54 PM (10 years, 2 months ago)

OfflineAbbeyRoad
Male User Gallery

#17190876 - 11/09/12 10:57 PM (10 years, 2 months ago)

Not cheaper in the long run than buying a 40lb bag of granules... but if you like your gypsum powdered I recommend: Gypsum

Also not sure why you shred your coir in a blender.  I chip mine off the block with a chisel\screwdriver then it breaks up pretty good with the pasteurization.  Some of the hydro stores around here also carry 'loose' coir but its more expensive.

And to really answer your question:  I use Goodwill and Salvation Army stores to find many useful wares.  You can usually get an old school blender (glass pitcher) for $5.  But for your purpose you would be better off getting a food processor with the chopping blade.  I found a sweet Cuisinart for $15 there..  I have like 4 within 5 miles of me, so it always seems like I score.  If that's an option, use it...

Offlinepoponon
Quaaaack!!!
Male User Gallery

Loc: Canada
Re: Best / cheapest blender for breaking up drywall / coir husk [Re: twistedty]
    #17191378 - 11/10/12 12:40 AM (10 years, 2 months ago)

Where can you get a 40lb bag of gypsum for 10$? I haven't seen it at any of the stores around here. I haven't checked nurseries though. it's also out of season right now.

I'm also in canada, so shipping a giant bag of gypsum would cost as much as a blender. drywall scraps are free from home depot.

I shred my coir in the blender because it is coconut husk, its essentially unground coir. it's way cheaper than coir at 10$ for a big block.  Contrary to popular belief i find the fibers of this coir are colonized very readily, I consistently have found fruits pinning from big chunks of unground coir husk. I find the long fibers also help with the consistency of poo based substrate, sort of like hay.

I think i've spotted a couple food processors at goodwill also! I'm going to go check there asap

--------------------
:smile: Y e e t!! :smile:

My Trade List

Edited by poponon (11/10/12 12:45 AM)

Invisiblegizmo1
Other User Gallery

Loc: FREEDOM Flag
    #17191500 - 11/10/12 01:08 AM (10 years, 2 months ago)

I always use an old hand grinder for my coir and horse manure. I think its an old coffee grinder not sure though it was given to me. I also have a cheese grader that you put cheese inside and turn to grade. Well the grader didnt work for cheese at all but works great for coir. Check thrift stores maybe try to find a food processor. Should work better than a blender.

--------------------
Trade List
🖕🖕🖕
6 hole Mini Monos

OfflineHundredYards
Stranger
Re: Best / cheapest blender for breaking up drywall / coir husk [Re: gizmo1]
    #17191550 - 11/10/12 01:19 AM (10 years, 2 months ago)

ive only needed to break up drywall once. i peeled off the paper backing, put everything in a pillow case and wacked it against a tree for a minute or so. not sure how repeatable that is on a larger scale though lol :smile:

OfflinePussyFart
Retired Cultivation Extrodinaire
Male

Loc: Orbiting Earth
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Best / cheapest blender for breaking up drywall / coir husk [Re: HundredYards]
    #17191564 - 11/10/12 01:21 AM (10 years, 2 months ago)

On my first time doing the bucket tek, i followed the tek exactly...one hour later when i went to stir it i still had a half of a brick in the bottom...not fun...that shit is hot.

So now i just break the coir up with a flat screwdriver and break it up like big nuggets of weed, and mix thoroughly with the verm, before i pour my water in...then when i go to mix it up its all broken up already....makes it easier.

As for gypsum...i use the real deal...

http://www.acehardware.com/product/index.jsp?productId=11202245

Edited by PussyFart (11/10/12 02:28 AM)

OfflineRogerRabbitM
Bans for Pleasure
Male User Gallery

Loc: Seattle
Trusted Cultivator
    #17191566 - 11/10/12 01:21 AM (10 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

poponon said:
Where can you get a 40lb bag of gypsum for 10$?

I'd freak out if I had to pay ten dollars for only 40 pounds.  I pay $217 for a ton of powder gypsum.  The same place bags it up in 80 pound bags for $8.  They're in Spokane, WA but every city should have a place like it, especially if you're anywhere near farming country.  As I've posted many times, get gypsum at farm and feed stores.

To the OP, you don't grind drywall.  Smash it with a hammer to break it up.  It doesn't have to be broken all the way to powder because it will break down after mixing with your substrate well enough for our use.  You also don't grind coir.  You moisten it and it swells up and breaks apart easily.
RR

--------------------
Download Let's Grow Mushrooms

semper in excretia sumus solim profundum variat

"I've never had a failed experiment.  I've only discovered 10,000 methods which do not work."
Thomas Edison

InvisibleFungal growth
Lootinint
Male User Gallery

Loc: under a rock in your yard
Re: Best / cheapest blender for breaking up drywall / coir husk [Re: RogerRabbit]
    #17191785 - 11/10/12 02:11 AM (10 years, 2 months ago)

the easiest way i've found to crush drywall is using a ziplock, i load as many drywall pieces as i need, and crush it in a vice several times (move it around) then finish it with a handsledge.
for coir bricks using damion50/50's bucket tek, i make sure the brick is on the very bottom. i fill in the gaps with the verm, and all other ingredients get boiled with the water. pour it slow onto the brick, come back in 1 hour and break it up some more. after another 2 hours, stir it again, the put the lid on, pick it up over my head and shake the fuck out of it. be sure to open it and stir it BEFORE picking it up to shake it, to release the pressure, or you'll take a hot sub shower, and that hurts both physically and mentally. then i let it cool.

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Left Coast Kratom Kratom Powder For Sale