Home | Community | Message Board

Out-Grow.com - Mushroom Growing Kits & Supplies
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Contamination Forum

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: Scales

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
InvisibleSemilanceata
No god, no boss

Loc: República Federal Íbera
Contaminants
    #1717791 - 07/15/03 11:28 AM (13 years, 4 months ago)

Are contaminants really that bad ? I mean, before I started growing shrooms I use to have moldy food in the fridge. I use to sniff the tupperwares to identify bad smells and see if I could still eat it. I use to take green, black, brown... molds off of fruits and vegetables with my nude hand and eat them right away. Did I have good luck ? ( I don?t do it anymore!!!!!!!)

--------------------
Sr_Setahongo

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Offlinefactory81
enthusiast

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Ibiza, Spain
Re: Contaminants [Re: Semilanceata]
    #1717911 - 07/15/03 01:05 PM (13 years, 4 months ago)

Not usually worth tryin to save because the contaminant spreads quicker then mycelium. Real quick, probably like 6-7x faster. Once its on there its going to spready I believe.

InvisibleSemilanceata
No god, no boss

Loc: República Federal Íbera
Re: Contaminants [Re: factory81]
    #1718715 - 07/15/03 05:38 PM (13 years, 4 months ago)

You know, I?ve read in a large scale mushroom cultivation book, that when contaminated, their first try is to cut it off and put some salt or lime. If the treatment doesn?t work, they trow it away. I think that if they try to get rid of the contaminants that way, maybe is because it works. What do you think about it ? I?ll try to do it on cakes, just for fun.

--------------------
Sr_Setahongo

OfflineMAIA
World-BridgerKartikeya (DftS)
Male User Gallery

Loc: Erra - 20 Tauri - M45 Sta...
Re: Contaminants [Re: Semilanceata]
    #1720979 - 07/16/03 10:52 AM (13 years, 4 months ago)

The first conservation method ever used was salt, even today there are examples, you know that cod fish (bacalao) is stored dried with salt to conserve it, first fishing boats used salt to keep all the fish from rotting. Salt makes it impossible for some microorganism to live or reproduce.

Regarding smelling contaminants, you should be careful with what you do. We have defense lines through our respiratory system, first the nose hairs then the throat mucous. Regarding bacteria there should be almost no worries, because of its bigger size they are trapped with our nose hairs and then broke with a specific enzyme. Airborne spores are more dangerous as they roll though our nose, they can reach our throat. Depending on their nature, some contaminants will find such place it's reproduction home but most of them will be drag down to our stomach with the mucous help along with tiny hairs pushing down. The real danger is when the contaminant spore reach the lungs and start reproducing, then all depends on our resistance to fight the contaminant, medication is needed and we can go through a bad time or even die, i don't know about the odds though.

MAIA

--------------------
Spiritual being, living a human experience ... The Shroomery Mandala

Use, do not abuse; neither abstinence nor excess ever renders man happy.
Voltaire

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop for: Scales

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Contamination Forum